Amy Farrah Fowler Doesn't Drink Coffee

notchinc

When was it established that Amy drinks coffee in the morning? Many docs have her making love to the coffee cup in the mornings. :).

Sounds to me like it's one of those things that becomes exaggerated and takes on a life of its own in fanfic circles. Daria fanfic had something similar in the form of Jane Lane, Daria's best friend. There were a few episodes in the TV series that showed Jane needed coffee in the morning to function, something that's common to many people. Fanfic authors proceeded to take that and run with it, to the point where Jane was practically depicted as erecting an Aztec temple to the God of Java in every story. :)

• Like 1

Never. I don't think we've ever seen Amy drink coffee on the show, let alone need it to function. The other thing I find odd about fanfic is that they often have Amy get drunk and nurse massive hangovers, when in canon Sheldon has actually gotten drunk far more often than Amy has and she hasn't been drunk since 5x08. 

• Like 5

I am so confused by this. She is a female. This makes absolutely no sense at all. men have a rod in thier trousers while women have a large hole near the front and one in the back to go number two. A mug would be a cylinder shaped object with no top which is hollow. So in what possible sense can a female make love to a coffee cup? Are you saying she has a few extra organs we dont know about? this is very perplexing. So it would be physically impossible for Amy a female(as far as we know) to make love to a copy cup. I dont believe this! I am calling this bluff. I want to see a link to whatever fanfic you are reading! 

picgifs-wut-confused-9590169.gif

• Like 2

Many fics have her making love to the coffee cup in the mornings. 

:). <====

How do you put a hole to a hole and call it making love? It said she is making love to a coffee cup in the morning. 

I suggest you learn the meaning of a metaphor. If you break up with someone, is your heart really broken? You seem to think she is physically making love to her coffee cup, hint, she's not.

• Like 2

:). <====

How do you put a hole to a hole and call it making love? It said she is making love to a coffee cup in the morning. 

I suggest you learn the meaning of a metaphor. If you break up with someone, is your heart really broken? You seem to think she is physically making love to her coffee cup, hint, she's not.

Wow.  Lol! :sarcastic:

• Like 2

I think the emergency change of clothing for Sheldon at Amy's is logical. It's been established he is prepared for emergencies. If the zombies rise on date night and he's stuck there until they can fashion anti-zombie weaponry, at least one fresh pair of underpants would be very welcome.

And if he ever goes over in his pajamas playing his bongos again, he'll feel more confident knowing he has corduroys and a couple of tee shirts for the morning after.

As for coffee, I am obsessed with her mixing 2 tea bags in the same cup. It could be such a metaphor for her current mood, if you know your teas. Amy is a tea girl... And a cosmopolitan drinker.

• 1 month later...

I happened upon this topic, and I just thought I'd mention that in one scene from the show that took place in Amy's apartment, the word Coffee was written in big letters on her whiteboard.  So even though we've never seen the character drinking it, I believe she does use it.  Sorry I can't provide the episode title or number.  It may have been in "The Agreement Dissection"  from season 4.  I can't be sure, but I'll know it when I see it again, as I notice it in the scene every time the episode comes up.

I've since seen the scene I was referring to, and it is from "The Werewolf Transformation" in Season 5 from the scene where Sheldon is laying on Amy's couch, and Amy, Leonard, and Penny are standing over him.  Check it out next time you watch that episode and notice the word coffee written on her white board on the wall.

Edited by Deborah A. Ranquist
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe she bought it for the girls?

Possibly.  Maybe she just drinks it in the morning like Leonard does?  He drinks tea other times, I've noticed.

I love that Sheldon braids hair is accepted fanfic canon.

I agree with Frankie; I want to know what fanfic is that in?!  I've read a great deal of Shamy fanfic and have yet to see that!  I would love to read that!  I think it's fun to read of Sheldon doing things he wouldn't normally do on the show.  It's part of the fun of fanfic, right?!   :)  The challenge is to have the character do those things in a Sheldon-type way such as with his speech or mannerisms, which then in turn makes it seem as if it's really taken from the show, in my opinion, and then accepted as canon.

Edited by Deborah A. Ranquist

I have Amy drinking coffee in my fan fic, because I love coffee.  I know it's selfish, but I love coffee and Amy, so there it goes.  I don't think she has ever drank coffee, although I do remember Leonard had a cup and I want to say I remember Amy pouring one?!?? GREAT!  Now i Have re-watch every episode to find it!! OH well.. More research

Edited by hazelra7
  • Like 4

I was reading a fan fic today and Amy slept and leant on Sheldon and he didn't mind and as I was doubting it could happen I remembered Indecision. I know he probably never watch her sleeping petting her hair but I was excited all over again when I remember how she could casually lean all over him and he didn't even blink he was so comfirtable!!

Okay I don't want to turn this into the Shamy thread. So that is my fan fiction complaint. Though we already had Sheldon spank her twice I really don't like it when authors use it all the time and have Amy lie to get spanked or Sheldon punishing her etc. I think it's old and it becomes wayyyyyyyy more sexual than it was meant to be.

As for Amy and coffee..Well I am a tea freak and adore Shamy when drinking tea so I prefer it!!!

Hope I was on topic at least at part of my post :p

• Like 2

I think Amy only drinks tea, white wine and tepid water on the show.

as far as I can remember I stuck to that in my FF story, but if others have her drinking coffee from time to time, thats okay.

It's called Fan Fiction for a reason ;)

• Like 1

Not a big deal but she's had red wine (seen drinking it at Penny's during the "hope to put his love of repetition to good use someday") and ice tea earlier at the Cheesecake Factory.

But regardless her drink of choice never comes to thought while reading fanfics.

• Like 1

I think that as long as we have not heard her objecting to coffee, the way we've had Sheldon objecting to various drinks, it's not a problem to have her occasionally having a cup.  But I do think that there is no evidence that she's somehow addicted to coffee or has to have it to function in the morning.

She seems to be fairly conservative in what she drinks on a regular basis, but doesn't seem to mind indulging under special circumstances.  And she seems to have become quite the wine drinker.  In Launch Acceleration, she's got a glass of white wine, apparently, while Sheldon is drinking Strawberry Quik.

I do think that some things that show up once in the show are often exaggerated to ridiculous proportion by some writers.  I think that as long as it's not distracting in a "she's never said that!" kind of way, that it doesn't really matter.

One of my favorite XF authors somehow got really hung up on the idea of Mulder avoiding the use of his first name, or even the use of things like Mr. or Agent, as if the character went around correcting people all the time and making them call him just "Mulder".  Though there was one conversation where he told Scully not to call him Fox, and said (jokingly, IMO) that he even made his parents call him Mulder.  However, he never corrected anyone after that.  Of course he was mostly called Mr. Mulder or Agent Mulder throughout the show, and he never once objected.  And there were certain characters who called him Fox, including his mother and Scully's mother, and he never once corrected any of them, either.

Sometimes people latch onto one thing and then blow it out of proportion.

• Like 2

Another one I read this afternoon.  What episode did Sheldon enjoy Amy's alliterations?  Fanfic Shamy is always loving each other's alliterations.......

Also, I hate when L/P walks in at the wrong time to interrupt a Shamy moment.  Locks the doors!!

Edited by notchinc
  • Like 1

I wish I knew about the Alliterations. I just put that in one I wrote.

Maybe when they were still just friends?  I seem to remember a SKype session, but I dont know.  I will have to rewatch. 

Edited by hazelra7