The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Amberwolff

Michio Kaku, Why Hasn't He Been A Guest Star On The Show Yet?

I think Michio Kaku would be a great addition to the guest stars that BBT has hosted. I would love to see him in an upcoming episode.

Michio Kaku is a great science presenter purported by the media to be a 'GENIUS'. Real geniuses are behind the scenes winning Nobel prizes. In reality, a decent Physics student knows all of the things he speaks. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a good physicist but an exaggerated one. Let me tell you how I figured that out. I used to like him until I realized at one time when he was gloating about building a particle accelerator at the age of 10 or so in his backyard. Now, a particle accelerator requires huge amount of energy (>100GeV) which requires huge current. Michio Kaku said after building the particle accelerator he connected it to a socket and all the electrical appliances blew up. Ok, how can a guy who has the knowledge to build a nuclear reactor do not know that electric cables at homes can only carry current to a certain level before they get heated up and fry !! Obviously, the interviewer was not scientifically inclined and didn't impugn his claims.

So please let this false pretender be away from the show !!

Michio Kaku is a great science presenter purported by the media to be a 'GENIUS'. Real geniuses are behind the scenes winning Nobel prizes.

Really? It seems you know little of Nobel Prizes or what a real Genius is. Hawking hasn't, and will never win a Nobel. Roger Penrose will never win one. Kip Thorne, will never win one. There are many others in Physics, Chemistry, and other fields who will not win a Nobel Prize. Hell, there isn't a Nobel Prize for Mathematics. There's also the little matter of having an experiment verify and then a bit of luck and then the politics. Einstein never won a Nobel for Relativity (either special or general), because of a strong anti-Semitic backlash against him. His work for the photo-electric effect was well verified, and basic to the Quantum ideas.

In reality, a decent Physics student knows all of the things he speaks.

Yes, but most of the people he is explaining these concepts to, don't.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a good physicist but an exaggerated one. Let me tell you how I figured that out. I used to like him until I realized at one time when he was gloating about building a particle accelerator at the age of 10 or so in his backyard. Now, a particle accelerator requires huge amount of energy (>100GeV) which requires huge current. Michio Kaku said after building the particle accelerator he connected it to a socket and all the electrical appliances blew up. Ok, how can a guy who has the knowledge to build a nuclear reactor do not know that electric cables at homes can only carry current to a certain level before they get heated up and fry !!

A couple of things. It's best to actually know what you're talking about before criticizing. He built the particle accelerator in his mother grange as part of a high school science fair (not at ten years old), that accelerator was entered into the National Science Fair and Edward Teller, (who along with Stanislaw Ulam) developed the process for fusion bombs became his mentor after getting a scholarship to Harvard. He stated it used as much power as his entire house and IF he had connected it to his house sockets, it would have blown the appliances. Evidently there was something to the Particle accelerator he built. You don't get Teller to mentor you, nor do you get scholarships to Harvard on flight of fancy. (BTW, it's not an Nuclear Reactor, it's a particle accelerator. You're use of Nuclear Reactor put's your claims into extremely shaky territory.

Obviously, the interviewer was not scientifically inclined and didn't impugn his claims.

So please let this false pretender be away from the show !!

False Pretender? You don't have over 70 peer reviewed papers or are named to a Theoretical Physics chair at CCNY, if you don't know what you're doing. You have to remember he's explaining the concepts of theoretical physics to those who don't know any physics. It's like complaining that an interviewer didn't impinge his claims, when he describes the Lorentzian Manifold used in General Relativity to the general public as a "rubber sheet".

My understanding is that this guy wants to be on the show and has been petitioning to get on it for ages. I've seen posts and tweets and other things over the past year or two demanding this guy get to guest star on the show, and traced it back to some article about him saying he wants to get on the show and actively getting people to petition the show for him so he'll get on. Perhaps I am just contrary, but I find posts like this tedious and his efforts too forceful, and i hope he never makes it near the studio.

I also think that this is the kind of guy that they'd have to explain too much--who he is, what he does, why the guys would care about him and why they would interact with him.

Who knows what might come up in the future? But if they don't have some funny way to incorporate such a person, it probably won't happen no matter what his scientific achievements.

My understanding is that this guy wants to be on the show and has been petitioning to get on it for ages. I've seen posts and tweets and other things over the past year or two demanding this guy get to guest star on the show, and traced it back to some article about him saying he wants to get on the show and actively getting people to petition the show for him so he'll get on. Perhaps I am just contrary, but I find posts like this tedious and his efforts too forceful, and i hope he never makes it near the studio.

I'm not a big fan of his, he plays very loose on some physics principles, to show his speculations have a better chance than they do. However, that does not make him a false pretender, dingging him for not winning a Nobel, or getting the facts of his projects wrong. I wonder if Bill's recent tweet about aggressively pushing someone in casting backfiring, may have something to do with him.