The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SheldonCooperFan

Sheldon Psychology The Improvised Break Down

I want to discuss what exactly happened to Sheldon during the improvisation episode and why did it bother him so much? Where spoc comes to take him to the future. 

I think he tapped into a primal fear that he should have left well alone. Sheldon, it seems, is a natural when it comes to applying 'the method' but he needs to harness it, some things you don't go poking with a stick.

The trick is to find a trigger that awakens the emotion you're after but doesn't cut too deep.

The name 'acting' is a paradox really, in fact what you're aiming for is 'being', particularly under the scrutiny of a camera lens, it's enough just to 'feel it' and it'll come through (you often hear the phrase "being in the moment") and the mugging you need to get your character across on a theatre stage just looks terrible when magnified by a monitor screen.

I think that Sheldon has a lot of emotion that he keeps at bay with all of his "I'm a physicist, not a hippy" attitude toward "feelings", and that trying to imagine what his mother might feel let loose everything he would really feel if Spock truly came to take him away from his mommy.

We see how he really views his mother--that she sees him as a sort of freakish thing ("You creep the bejesus out of me") while he feels like a misfit ("everyone around here's dumber than a bag of rocks") and that she might encourage him to "get on that spaceship" and that she has to hurry off to play bingo, unconcerned or unaware of his fears.

And even though he wrote the story of the boy Sheldon happily going off with Mr. Spock to help save the future, down deep inside he really wants to stay with his mommy.

• Like 3

Spot on Phanta, you nailed it! :)