The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  

I noticed something. Sheldon ends up attracting women without really trying and generally he doesn't want to do anything with them. When Howard and Raj and Leonard try to get women they are not always able to do so. 

I noticed something. Sheldon ends up attracting women without really trying and generally he doesn't want to do anything with them. When Howard and Raj and Leonard try to get women they are not always able to do so.

Yeah, Leslie and Alex, for two examples, really had the hots for him, didn't they. And Leonard really struggled getting Stephanie, Joy, Priya and Mrs Latham and Alex. The funny part was Leonard wasn't trying to get any of those. They, (with the exception of Priya, where it seemed to be mutual) were chasing after Leonard. The only woman I remember Leonard chasing after was Penny.

• Like 6

No, the "attracts women without really trying" thing is Leonard. Three clear examples: Dr. Stephanie Barnett (season 2), Alice (season 5), and Alex Jensen (season 6). Four if you count Priya (season 4). Five if you count Dr. Elizabeth Plimpton (season 3), but that's kinda iffy since she was a slut-bunny that would hump anything on two legs. :) Oh, and there's Mrs. Lathem, too (season 4). Sheldon's track record is far spottier; I can only remember Ramona Nowitzki, the girl at the end of that same episode (I think her name is Kathy O'Brien), and Martha (from "The Psychic Vortex"), and if you'll notice, all of those episodes were in season 2.

EDIT: Oh, and as Tensor said, there's Joy (season 4). She clearly liked him; either that, or she wanted to finish demonstrating the number of ways to rip a guy's nuts off. ;) And there's still Leslie Winkle (seasons 1 and 2), too. Remind me again: who is the one who has all the women chasing after him?

Edited by Martin Pollard
  • Like 1

Sheldon's track record is far spottier; I can only remember Ramona Nowitzki, the girl at the end of that same episode (I think her name is Kathy O'Brien), and Martha (from "The Psychic Vortex"), and if you'll notice, all of those episodes were in season 2.

Yeah, and Ramona was there only to get her name on a paper.  Once that was taken from her, she left.  Kathy at the end seem to be there to indicate another one who wanted credit for work, rather than Sheldon himself.  if you count Plimton (even if she was a slut bunny) and Penny in season one (The Halloween Party), Leonard's been hit one by a woman every season, except seven.   Leslie also hit on him.  Leonard has been quite successful in attracting women.

• Like 1

In the pilot, Penny seemed like she was possibly interested in Sheldon--that is, until he started going on and on about "his spot" and she changed her mind pretty quickly. There was also Raj's date one time--the woman who Sheldon said reminded her of a princess in a story--I forget the episode. He had some smooth lines and caught her interest, even though he had no idea what he was doing.

• Like 1

In the pilot, Penny seemed like she was possibly interested in Sheldon--that is, until he started going on and on about "his spot" and she changed her mind pretty quickly. There was also Raj's date one time--the woman who Sheldon said reminded her of a princess in a story--I forget the episode. He had some smooth lines and caught her interest, even though he had no idea what he was doing.

Ok, that makes two for Sheldon.  Quite a few less than Leonard, showing the OP was incorrect.  

Ok, that makes two for Sheldon.  Quite a few less than Leonard, showing the OP was incorrect.  

Yeah, and Ramona was there only to get her name on a paper.  Once that was taken from her, she left.  Kathy at the end seem to be there to indicate another one who wanted credit for work, rather than Sheldon himself.  if you count Plimton (even if she was a slut bunny) and Penny in season one (The Halloween Party), Leonard's been hit one by a woman every season, except seven.   Leslie also hit on him.  Leonard has been quite successful in attracting women.

Yeah, Leslie and Alex, for two examples, really had the hots for him, didn't they. And Leonard really struggled getting Stephanie, Joy, Priya and Mrs Latham and Alex. The funny part was Leonard wasn't trying to get any of those. They, (with the exception of Priya, where it seemed to be mutual) were chasing after Leonard. The only woman I remember Leonard chasing after was Penny.

actually he scored 4. He attracted two students, he stole rajs date, and Amy. Amy who is willing to put up with him even though it took three years for him to kiss her. While Raj is still facing difficulties getting women and Howard was lucky to get Bernadette. So how is Sheldon better at getting women when than raj when raj actually tries and Sheldon doesn't realize when hes attracted someone? 

actually he scored 4. He attracted two students, he stole rajs date, and Amy. Amy who is willing to put up with him even though it took three years for him to kiss her. While Raj is still facing difficulties getting women and Howard was lucky to get Bernadette. So how is Sheldon better at getting women when than raj when raj actually tries and Sheldon doesn't realize when hes attracted someone? 

No, he didn't get the students.  Did you read my read my first post. All Ramon wanted was co-credit on the paper, Kathy approached him in much the same manner as Ramona.  So both students were there for credit, not Sheldon.  Without the two students, the count is only two.

Howard may have gotten lucky, (I notice you just claim that, with no actual evidence, he got lucky, based on what?), but that doesn't explain the other women he had, remember his bachelor party, where they listed all the different women and Bernadette found out about those women?  Not to mention the other women he told Bernadette about(again, see The Stag Convergence).  If Howard was lucky,  so was Sheldon with Amy and Raj's date.   Howard and Raj set Amy up with him.  And if Raj's date would have looked different, he would not have mentioned the princess.   Howard still has had more women date him than Sheldon.  So, Howard's way has worked better than Sheldon's.  Then there is Leonard,  I notice you've changed your statement now, not including Leoanrd.  Why did you do that?

• Like 2

By my count, Leonard alone has had eight women attracted to him if you don't count Penny, which I do, so that makes nine. And if you can count the two students who just wanted their names on a paper (as Rick pointed out) then we can include Joyce Kim, who was trying to steal secrets. That's ten. And as I said, that's just Leonard, the other guys have been with more than one woman as well, so your premise is flawed.

• Like 2

Sorry!?!?

Where in the pilot did penny show she might be interested in Sheldon???

Sorry!?!?

Where in the pilot did penny show she might be interested in Sheldon???

I guess you could interpret her noticing his white board when she first enters 4A as such, but I wouldn't.

I guess you could interpret her noticing his white board when she first enters 4A as such, but I wouldn't.

It was sub-textual. And very real to some, but I never saw it. Blinkered I guess. But let's not start that one up again.

Sheldon has the girl he needs, just like the psychic told him.

Sorry!?!?

Where in the pilot did penny show she might be interested in Sheldon??

After he told her she was sitting in his spot, she said, "then sit next to me". It was a little flirtatious. He was also flirting with her a little when she was looking at his white board, which was jarring. Granted, they changed Sheldon's character somewhat after the pilot episode. 

Don't worry, I am not a Shenny! 

Romantic shennies are the worst

I just took it for friendliness and that Sheldon was pleased somebody was impressed with his board

• Like 1

Romantic shennies are the worst

I just took it for friendliness and that Sheldon was pleased somebody was impressed with his board

What does this have to do with Shenny? 

sheldon is cute in is own way... there were some girls who found it attractive... n even a gay guy... where he writes his number on sheldon's hand and he dint realise wats going on...

but

i think its leonard,.. who gets hit on n doesnt even realise most of the times...

hmmm.. i dont think amy counts in this list of.."Sheldon ends up attracting women without really trying" list of urs...

because

he knows she is attracted to him and he is trying...

shamy are in a relationship...

• Like 1

Let's look at this issue from another angle... are the guy's successes realistic?

I think so. Ten girls in seven years is relatively lower than my (and other friends', I'm not gloating!) score since college, and the only advantages I have over Leonard are height, body type and number of allergies...

Two girls in seven years is also just about right for a basket case. Some women like jerks, for starters, and even jerkness can be charming once a year, also Sheldon is innocent and wide-eyed in a way that real "bad guys" aren't, and I will guess that captivates some.

Raj wasn't able to speak to women, that destroyed any chance he could have. And now he is both terrified and desperate, hardly the best combination.

Howard makes me remember a friend of mine with his ridiculous pick-up lines and clothing, and any success he had, while perhaps surprising, is quite realistic. I will venture that moderate Howardness works better than full Leonardness...

Female friends help a lot (Bernadette is an example, Penny was the matchmaker...), but apart from that, most guys have to trust Borel-Cantelli lemma when it comes to short-term relationships and one-night stands.

Sorry for my English...

Edited by LMD3014

Let's look at this issue from another angle... are the guy's successes realistic?

I think so. Ten girls in seven years is relatively lower than my (and other friends', I'm not gloating!) score since college, and the only advantages I have over Leonard are height, body type and number of allergies...

Two girls in seven years is also just about right for a basket case. Some women like jerks, for starters, and even jerkness can be charming once a year, also Sheldon is innocent and wide-eyed in a way that real "bad guys" aren't, and I will guess that captivates some.

Raj wasn't able to speak to women, that destroyed any chance he could have. And now he is both terrified and desperate, hardly the best combination.

Howard makes me remember a friend of mine with his ridiculous pick-up lines and clothing, and any success he had, while perhaps surprising, is quite realistic. I will venture that moderate Howardness works better than full Leonardness...

Female friends help a lot (Bernadette is an example, Penny was the matchmaker...), but apart from that, most guys have to trust Borel-Cantelli lemma when it comes to short-term relationships and one-night stands.

Sorry for my English...

I don't think any woman likes a man BECAUSE hes a jerk. Even penny doesn't like jerks. She dates these guys because they happen to be hot and confident enough to ask her out. Doesn't mean she looks for jerks. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan

Howard may have gotten lucky, (I notice you just claim that, with no actual evidence, he got lucky, based on what?), but that doesn't explain the other women he had, remember his bachelor party, where they listed all the different women and Bernadette found out about those women?

We shouldn't count the Vegas prostitute, though, as a prostitute will act like she's attracted to Quasimodo if you give her enough money. :biggrin:

• Like 2

We shouldn't count the Vegas prostitute, though, as a prostitute will act like she's attracted to Quasimodo if you give her enough money. :biggrin:

I was thinking Sailor Moon and his (second)cousin. Bernadette also mention Howard told her about all the women he'd been with, yet she didn't know about these two. So there had to be other women. Still way more than Sheldon.

I don't think any woman likes a man BECAUSE hes a jerk. Even penny doesn't like jerks. She dates these guys because they happen to be hot and confident enough to ask her out. Doesn't mean she looks for jerks. 

I didn't really say that. Really doubt a woman would like jerks because they treat her like garbage or anything like that. I too suspect it has something to do with confidence: really easy for a jerk to be confident, as he doesn't care for anyone else. Also, physical attraction. But it still stands: some people really like jerks, and Sheldon looks enough like one.

EDIT: Another thing. While being jerkish to the significant other itself is far from a conventional turn-on, if the jerkishness is contained outside the relationship, many people will let it slide, and some will even find it attractive.

Edited by LMD3014

I didn't really say that.

SheldonCooperFan, can you please stop misinterpreting and/or misquoting? Its rude, It's not fair to the people you are discussing things with, and others who are reading tend to dismiss your comments, if it's repeatedly shown you don't know what you are arguing against. If you are not sure what they are saying, ask them.

I was thinking Sailor Moon and his (second)cousin. Bernadette also mention Howard told her about all the women he'd been with, yet she didn't know about these two. So there had to be other women. Still way more than Sheldon.

I've had way more than Sheldon, and I was a relatively "late bloomer" to the dating scene. (Being a large guy all your life can really do a number on your confidence. I was very fortunate to find and marry someone who could see past all that. It also helps that I'm, like, totally adorable. ;) )

• Like 2

To be fair, the OP said that Sheldon gets women without even trying, not that he gets MORE women than the rest of them. I love the episode where Sheldon inadvertently "picks up" Martha, while Raj picks up Winnie Cooper (sorry, don't know her name on BBT!) He was really smooth, what with the Hulk hands and all. His cluelessness about why she wanted to hang out in his room was adorable.

To be fair, the OP said that Sheldon gets women without even trying, not that he gets MORE women than the rest of them. I love the episode where Sheldon inadvertently "picks up" Martha, while Raj picks up Winnie Cooper (sorry, don't know her name on BBT!) He was really smooth, what with the Hulk hands and all. His cluelessness about why she wanted to hang out in his room was adorable.

Saying that Sheldon "gets women without even trying" also implies that he gets a lot of them; that's what anyone who reads that sentence would be lead to believe. The truth is that Sheldon only "got" one woman, Martha. He didn't "get" Ramona or Kathy; their only interest in him was to get their names attached to his research. He also didn't "get" Amy; Raj and Howard set them up. So, his sum total of "getting women without even trying" is exactly ONE person. Not a very convincing argument. :)