The Big Bang Theory Moving To Mondays To Start Eighth Season

Tripper

The Big Bang Theory is to start its eighth season Monday nights, CBS announced today as the network revealed their fall line-up. The show's temporary move is necessitated by CBS's recent acquisition of Thursday Night Football, which will commandeer the Thursday schedule between September 11 and October 23.

The Big Bang Theory will air the early episodes of its eighth season in the Mondays at 8 time slot. The Big Bang Theory has held this time slot before, for half of its first season and then through its second season. The show moved to a later Monday slot for its third season and then moved over to its Thursdays at 8 slot beginning with its fourth season.

During its time on Mondays, The Big Bang Theory will form part of a one-hour comedy block with fellow Chuck Lorre sitcom Mom. A new drama Scorpion airs at 9 with NCIS: Los Angelesmoving to the 10 o'clock time slot. The single hour comedy block is a notable change for CBS, whose two-hour Monday night block has traditionally been a strong performer for the network and a key part of its line-up. 2 Broke Girls will take over the 8pm slot when TBBT heads back to its permanent home.

When The Big Bang Theory returns to Thursdays on October 30, it will start a two-hour comedy block that includes The Millers at 8:30, the final season of Chuck Lorre's Two and a Half Men at 9:00, new sitcom The McCarthys (starring Laurie Metcalf) at 9:30, with drama Elementaryrounding out the night at 10.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/2000/TBBT-jumps-to-Mondays-for-start-of-next-season/

• Like 1

Aw, man!

Unless something changes with my teaching schedule for my private students, I'm not going to be able to watch any of those Monday night episodes live.  And it's going to be slightly embarrassing to have my old-school VCR kicking in right as I'm starting a lesson... :p

I'll only luck out if my 7pm student happens to cancel or something. (8pm Eastern is 7pm for me).

Well, I guess it's only for 2 months... :(

What other show(s) will it be up against in that timeslot?

For its temporary Monday slot, it's up against Dancing with the Stars, The Voice and Gotham.

Back on Thursdays it's Grey's Anatomy, The Biggest Loser and Bones.

That's going to be tough on Monday. The Voice is the second highest demo for entertainment( behind TBBT) and DWTS is a top five show in viewers(TBBT beat it last week by less than a half a million).

Never fear. I don't think the move is going to have much of an impact in this age of DVRs. Heck, that's how I normally watch television these days, since I can fast-forward through the obnoxious commercials. :)

The only way I can look at TBBT is via DVR. CBS and local stations, chocks the show so full of commercials, including a five minute collection at the midpoint, I am driven nuts trying to view.

Monday time slot means it will seem to shorten the wait, at least for the premiere.

Edited by BangerMain

I wish it was always on Monday. I agree that it would give me something to look forward too after the weekend! 

I'll enjoy the temporarily "good" Mondays worth looking forward to. (Those are rare)

Also Tripper's picture is cracking me up. 

If they are opposite football, won't that artificially drive down the ratings.

Not really. The games don't start until 8:28 on Mondays, in addition, the Monday night games are on ESPN, a premium cable. MNF averages around 14 million viewers and 4.5-5.0 demo for the time period of 8:28 to 11:30 PM. Ratings tend to peak around 9:30-10:00 PM, with lower numbers at the beginning and the end. With an 8:28 kickoff, I don't see it hurting TBBT. It may hurt Mom, which follows.

Ill just DVR the show - like i do 35+ hours of TV and watch it whenever. Fast Forward the commercials - its like saving more of my meaningful life .Thank God and baby Jesus for the DVR ! best invention in the last 20 years !

• Like 1