The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DoomedPanda

A Question for Americans...

Not that I know of. We call it acetaminophen here, and the most popular name brand of it is Tylenol (thanks, Wikipedia). I don't know anybody that's ever tried to buy a lot of Tylenol at once, but I'd imagine they sell it in bulk packs in stores like Costco and Sam's Club (bulk retailers for food and whatnot). It can be dangerous when not used as directed. I know a few people who attempted suicide by acetaminophen OD, and ended up in the hospital with potential liver damage. But it's probably one of the most popular pain relievers here in the States.

Not that I know of. We call it acetaminophen here, and the most popular name brand of it is Tylenol (thanks, Wikipedia). I don't know anybody that's ever tried to buy a lot of Tylenol at once, but I'd imagine they sell it in bulk packs in stores like Costco and Sam's Club (bulk retailers for food and whatnot). It can be dangerous when not used as directed. I know a few people who attempted suicide by acetaminophen OD, and ended up in the hospital with potential liver damage. But it's probably one of the most popular pain relievers here in the States.

Well we're restricted here in Ireland to one pack per purchase basically, to avoid people buying them to overdose... Strange thing is an overdose on it takes about a week to kill you.... I was hoping to use something in a story for a screenplay but it won't have the same effect depending on where the person lives who's reading/watching it

Orvedose with TYLENOL????? Seriously, even cuting your wrists sounds less emo then that xD

Wow that's such a mature answer... Did you ever stop to think it's a serious problem for some people? Get a grip before you post stuff like that

Frist of all, what gives you the right to talk to me like that? I've never insulted you or talked to you in any offensive or agressive way, neither here in the forum or in the MSN. As a matter of fact I've always talked to you the nicest way possible, and even overlooked a lot of things you've said.

Second of all, if someone really wants to kill themself, they won't do it the slowest way possible. If someone kills themself by cuting their wrists or orvedose, it's probably just a desesperate call for attention, even if it's not concient.

Third of all, yes, as a matter of fact I DO know about this kind of stuff. Maybe YOU should get a grip about other people feelings or thoughs before posting something like that. You're not the only one with problems in the whole damn world Eoin.

If you can't tell apart a joke from serious talking maybe you shouldn't be a in comedy series forum.

This is quite a sensitive subject for some people, and in my opinion, not one that can be discussed in a light-hearted manner, even if we are on a message board about a comedy show.

Attempted suicide by acetaminophen OD is fairly common because Tylenol or the generic brand is popular and found in quantities large enough to cause death in almost every American household. Yes, it's a long, painful way to die, because the initial OD doesn't kill, but several days later the patient probably dies of liver failure. I think a lot of people don't realize how long acetaminophen ODs take to claim a life. Most people hear the word "overdose" and think instant death. Many people believe that an acetaminophen overdose causes someone to pass out and die while asleep, not feeling a thing. When someone is suicidal, he/she is extremely depressed, so depressed that death is the only way to fix his problems. With the availability of acetaminophen and the misconceptions related to OD on the drug, it's no surprise that it's a common way that people attempt suicide.

Frist of all, what gives you the right to talk to me like that? I've never insulted you or talked to you in any offensive or agressive way, neither here in the forum or in the MSN. As a matter of fact I've always talked to you the nicest way possible, and even overlooked a lot of things you've said.

Second of all, if someone really wants to kill themself, they won't do it the slowest way possible. If someone kills themself by cuting their wrists or orvedose, it's probably just a desesperate call for attention, even if it's not concient.

Third of all, yes, as a matter of fact I DO know about this kind of stuff. Maybe YOU should get a grip about other people feelings or thoughs before posting something like that. You're not the only one with problems in the whole damn world Eoin.

If you can't tell apart a joke from serious talking maybe you shouldn't be a in comedy series forum.

You should read the first two lines of Meag26's post... He explains it perfectly. I know what you said was a joke and that's my problem with it. It's really not a subject to be joked about no matter where the discussion is taking place. Now, just because we've had conversations outside of this forum doesn't give you the right to go dragging them into the public domain, that's not fair and no one should ever do it. And the fact you say that when someone does something like what was described was a 'call for attention' shows you know very little about the subject. If you read my first two posts again you'll see I made no mention that anything I had asked about or said had anything to do with me personally, I was doing some research so don't start going on about me having problems when you actually have no idea if I do or don't and even if I did, calling someone out because of that on a public forum is a pretty low thing to do.

I've closed the thread as I think DoomedPanda received the answer he was looking for. :)

I'm sure no offence was intended by Waffles, DoomedPanda. I think Meag26 is right, it being a difficult subject it's hard to discuss it here. Many might find jokes inappropriate, but then there are many who feel it's not inappropriate at all.