Luckyboy

The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park

Which Series do you like?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Series do you like best?

• The Simpsons
    • Family Guy
    • South Park

Hello all, Started noticing people who like one series that can't really relate to people who like the other series. It's like these series are a sneak preview of a persons personality. Is it a cultural thing? Is it an upbringing thing? Or is it something else? Or maybe none of the above. Personally, I like South Park, then Simpsons. Didn't really get into Family Guy. I was around people with different upbringing than me, and they like Family Guy and can't understand South Park. So I tried to like Family Guy but just couldn't get into it.

Anyway, I want to get other peoples insights.

Simpsons, but even this show I haven't watched for a very long time. I liked South Park, when I was a teenager and I never liked Family Guy.

I find it funny no one likes family guy.

All of them are an acquired taste. I used to watch The Simpsons, but for me it's grown stale and repetitive. (Except for the Halloween episodes; I still try to catch those, and the early ones were fantastic.) Same with South Park. I never cared for Family Guy; too sophomoric, as is most of Seth McFarlane's humor (though I have to admit, I enjoyed Ted, but A Million Ways to Die in the West looks extremely stupid).

Edited by Martin Pollard

All of them are an acquired taste. I used to watch The Simpsons, but for me it's grown stale and repetitive. (Except for the Halloween episodes; I still try to catch those, and the early ones were fantastic.) Same with South Park. I never cared for Family Guy; too sophomoric, as is most of Seth McFarlane's humor (though I have to admit, I enjoyed Ted, but A Million Ways to Die in the West looks extremely stupid).

Acquired how? I don't watch tv I don't like because im told to. I also have become really bored with Family guy. I like American dad too but that too got boring. I don't think most people are watching tv because they are suppose to. If you don't like a show you just don't like it. There is nothing about acquiring the taste. 

Acquired how? I don't watch tv I don't like because im told to. I also have become really bored with Family guy. I like American dad too but that too got boring. I don't think most people are watching tv because they are suppose to. If you don't like a show you just don't like it. There is nothing about acquiring the taste. 

"Acquired taste" has nothing to do with being told to do something. Look the phrase up on Wikipedia and educate yourself, please.

I haven't watched South Park in years, but I loved it as a kid. Now though, I'm not really a big fan of comedy like that. I have about 6 seasons of Family Guy, but I haven't watched it for a while. I will never stop watching The Simpsons. I may not like the new episodes, but the older ones are classics.

"Acquired taste" has nothing to do with being told to do something. Look the phrase up on Wikipedia and educate yourself, please.

Acquired taste means you keep doing it till you like it. Meaning these people are forced to watch till they eventually like it. So I doubt anyone is going to keep watching a show they dislike just because they want to acquire the taste for it. There is nothing wrong with just NOT liking something. It doesn't mean you need to acquire it. I also did not like Family Guy because of ACQUIRED taste I just watched it and liked it. If not I would have shut it off.

Why don't you try educating yourself before you start using words you don't understand? Such as if you are given snails a lot you are going to enjoy eating it because you were always fed that. They kept playing the song "Soldier boy" that everyone else loved and no matter how much they played it I still hate that song. So I don't think stuff like television and music is something you can always acquire. Someone can like nothing but Japanese media and be from the US. Which is contrary to the idea because that means they should love only American media Since that is what they are exposed to.

If you don't like it you simply don't like it. You can hear rap all your life and hate rap. I personally hate rap even though it seemed to be very popular for awhile. People have different likes and dislikes and its silly to think the only reason a person can like something is because they were around it a lot. So no not everything is an acquired taste and you have the right to not like it and to like something does not mean we all initially hated it to begin with. I am sure everything you like was not something you were just forced into liking either. People have different tastes and you need to realize that. 

New Simpsons kind of messed up the continuity since they redid all the character origin stories. 

I personally watched most of these series but most of them I have gotten bored of. American dad, Cleveland show, Simpsons, Futurama, South-park, Family guy. I didn't really care for Cleveland show though. 

Have you ever put butter on your poptart? 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan
  • Like 1

The Simpsons and Family Guy have always been my favourites. The Simpsons has not been as good as Family Guy of late, but it is still one of the best shows around.

Family Guy is more of an adult sitcom though, whereas the whole family can laugh at The Simpsons, which gives it the edge I suppose.

The Simpsons was the original animated sitcom and no matter how good other cartoons get, they will still just be imitations of The Simpsons' template. The Simpsons revolutionised TV by creating a whole new genre- that of the animated sitcom.

The Simpsons was the original animated sitcom and no matter how good other cartoons get, they will still just be imitations of The Simpsons' template. The Simpsons revolutionised TV by creating a whole new genre- that of the animated sitcom.

You mean, besides the animated sitcom The Flintstones, which aired from 1960 to 1966 (a full 29 years before The Simpsons)? ;) I won't argue that The Simpsons made the animated sitcom popular, but they weren't the first, not by a long shot.

• Like 1

Simpsons for me. I like Family Guy and it can be funny, but i agree with the sentiment it can be sophomoric. It can be offensive, some times it lacks the right balance in being funny and being offensive. i do appreciate its jabs at pop culture, and although it can be crude and crass sometimes. Its generally clever. The best part about the show though is Brian and Stewie. Brians like the voice of reason for the series, Stewie is just one of my all time favorite characters up their with Homer. I am increasingly finding Peter unlikeable. Hes not just ignorant hes selfish, And theirs no evidence to suggest he cares for his family. That reason alone Homer is better, Peter goes more boundaries comedy wise, But likeit says you cant beat the original. American Dads okay, i might actually prefer Stan over Peter, South Park a funny in a n eccentric way, it can be very offensive tho even more so. While i agree you could argue Flintstones logically was an original, point is Simpsons revoluitnized and redefined the animated adult sitcom genre, kinda like Family Guy is now.

You mean, besides the animated sitcom The Flintstones, which aired from 1960 to 1966 (a full 29 years before The Simpsons)? ;) I won't argue that The Simpsons made the animated sitcom popular, but they weren't the first, not by a long shot.

I don't want to turn this thread back to bickering about the meaning of words and phrases, but by 'original' I was referring to the fact that The Simpsons is not derived from something else- that it is fresh and unusual, rather than referring to it being the first.

But that's my fault. I should have made it clearer what I meant.

Moving along, what about The Cleveland Show? Does anybody watch it and what do you think of it?

Cleveland Show is the worst mistake in tv history haha. I cant even tolerate it. Not that its offensive, just not funny. Telling when Seth stopped voicing after one season. Problem is Cleveland is not bold enough, hes a side character whos funny as he has Peter and Co to play off. In Cleveland Show hes the anchor, just not original, just a watered down, dilluted version of Family Guy. Im glad Cleveland has come back to Family Guy.

• Like 1

Cleveland Show is the worst mistake in tv history haha. I cant even tolerate it. Not that its offensive, just not funny. Telling when Seth stopped voicing after one season. Problem is Cleveland is not bold enough, hes a side character whos funny as he has Peter and Co to play off. In Cleveland Show hes the anchor, just not original, just a watered down, dilluted version of Family Guy. Im glad Cleveland has come back to Family Guy.

Which character from Family Guy should get their own show then? I think 'The Quagmire Show' or 'The Stewie Show' would work very well.

Which character from Family Guy should get their own show then? I think 'The Quagmire Show' or 'The Stewie Show' would work very well.

Yeah Stewie Show could work. But you would have to overlook Stewie being baby and not relying on his mother Lois to function, Stewie loves Lois after all haha. Quagmire show could be work, could see a show of Quagmire and his antics. Unlike Cleveland whos not as bold as Quagmire, and doesent need Peter and the rest to be funny. Theirs a show all on its own their. Or maybe the Brian and Stewie show, you could argue the Brian and Stewie relationship made the show what it is today. Maybe to make it beleivable, Stewie grown up living with Brian.

Yeah Stewie Show could work. But you would have to overlook Stewie being baby and not relying on his mother Lois to function, Stewie loves Lois after all haha. Quagmire show could be work, could see a show of Quagmire and his antics. Unlike Cleveland whos not as bold as Quagmire, and doesent need Peter and the rest to be funny. Theirs a show all on its own their. Or maybe the Brian and Stewie show, you could argue the Brian and Stewie relationship made the show what it is today. Maybe to make it beleivable, Stewie grown up living with Brian.

A grown up Stewie living with Brian isn't a bad idea at all actually, but you would have to wait for Family Guy to be cancelled before you could do it. Stewie can't co-exist as a baby and an adult in two separate sitcoms, and also, Stewie and Brian leaving Family Guy to do their own show would make Family Guy a show nobody would watch. Sometimes I think the Stewie and Brian episodes of Family Guy are the only ones worth watching- Peter just isn't as funny anymore.

A grown up Stewie living with Brian isn't a bad idea at all actually, but you would have to wait for Family Guy to be cancelled before you could do it. Stewie can't co-exist as a baby and an adult in two separate sitcoms, and also, Stewie and Brian leaving Family Guy to do their own show would make Family Guy a show nobody would watch. Sometimes I think the Stewie and Brian episodes of Family Guy are the only ones worth watching- Peter just isn't as funny anymore.

Thats true to me Peter has become more intolerable then funny. He used to be ignorant, but like Homer it came from a good place. But unlike Homer who always maintained his good hearted ignorance and evolved. Peter has become increasingly selfish, and has really developed a mean streak. I always liked Meg, and while the abuse was funny at first. I just cannot tolerate the emotional and physical abuse she receives, cant imagine anyone else could either. Love the ep where she calls out Peter, Lois, and Chris out for their behaviour when Brian was high lol. Really sold home for me anyway Stewie, Brian, Meg are the best part of Family Guy. While generally i can put up with Peter, Lois, and Chris lately not so much. Some of my fav eps of Fg are Brian and Stewie centric ones. Multiverse, the one where they were trapped in the bank the entire ep. Another animated sitcom i like is Futuarama. Not as lol as Family Guy, but the writing is very clever, the characters are all awesome especially Bender.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

I had actually stopped watching all three, but after just watching a large portion of FXX's Simpsons marathon, I am back to the opinion that The Simpsons is one of the best comedies of all time - The Southpark movie was brilliant, as are some of the episodes, but there are only so many poop jokes I can watch before I get tired of them - Family Guy I love in small doses, I particularly like Brian and Stewie - but I don't think I could sit through a 500 episode marathon.