Theme Song Conspiracy

I would like to bring to your attention what I believe is a conspiracy involving the theme song for The Big bang Theory. The singers are clearly saying the universe is only 14 Million years old when we all know its 14 BILLION years old. Oh I know they almost sound the same.Dont belive me? Listen closely next time. I say we should DEMAND an investigation! It should be re-recorded and have it stated clearly. Science demands it!

I would like to bring to your attention what I believe is a conspiracy involving the theme song for The Big bang Theory. The singers are clearly saying the universe is only 14 Million years old when we all know its 14 BILLION years old. Oh I know they almost sound the same.Dont belive me? Listen closely next time. I say we should DEMAND an investigation! It should be re-recorded and have it stated clearly. Science demands it!

The theme song for the show, "The Big Bang Theory Theme", (though some call it "The History of Everything")  has the "14 Billion" sounding like "Million" as one of two great misheard lyrics in the piece. In every lyric compilation, it is written as "Billion" so we are pretty sure about the intentions of singer and writer, Ed Robertson.

What is the biggest misheard lyric in the song? It's in the seldom heard second verse, where Robertson says what sounds like:

The oceans and Pangaea,

"See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!"

What he real sang was:

The ocean said "Pangaea?"

"See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!"

Robertson is singing pretty fast at that point so the mishearing is understandable.

The first time I heard the song I thought it was the cast singing it, I was a little bit disappointed when I discovered that it was a band singing the theme song.

Edited by luke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I’ve seen the series several times.  I have DTS and I know for a fact they do say million and not billion.  The lyrics are supposed to be billion, but they said it wrong.  They did write the lyrics correctly, however in the song, they recorded million.  They make huge mistakes in every episode.  I still love it.  Barenaked Ladies must have got lazy when recording.

• 3 months later...

I just heard it on a high quality hifi sound and realised they said 'million' in place of 'billion'.  I checked it out with various audio analysis equipment and they definitely say 'million', there is nothing 'misheard' about it.  I then searched to see if anyone else had noticed it, so I had not heard anything about this controversy before.  I hadn't noticed it before because I *expected* to hear 'billion' and so that is what one tends to remember hearing if not concentrating on the words in real time ~ hearing 'billion' is definitely the effect of priming (expecting to hear 'billion') leading to mishearing it as such.

But they say 'million', no doubt about it.

• 1 year later...