The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
3ku11

State Of Big Bang Theory: Purists Vs Realists

Are you a Purist, Realist, or Fantasists?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What type a fan are you?

• Purists
    • Realists
    • Fantasists
    • In Between

General consenus in the big bang theory fandom currently, you have two types of fans presently.

1. Purist; Prefers S1-3, prefers Sheldon 1-3, prefers the light hearted nerdy comedy. Hates/Dislikes Amy or Bernadette, doesn't like how the writers have turned BBT into a rom com, say the show has run out of ideas yet want old Sheldon or old Howard xD. Believe that Sheldon is so unique he should just be locked in his room, as a guarded species he should have no contact with any human at all, Team Sheldon!! Everyone in the show should have a girlfriend but not Sheldon, they prefer him robotic and observing peoples relationships without having any human or relationship construct himself. Believe that he stories, jokes, characterizations, and the zany geeky humor was sustainable, and that people well still enjoy watching a douche Sheldon an insensitive Raj, a creepy Howard, and a lonely, pining Leonard. Prefer to live in a world of ignorance, don't understand you cant have it both ways.

2. Realists; Understand that change is the only constant, that having fundamental truth is yours and yours only, understand that after so many years the characters just cannot have the same impact they used too, understand if you no longer like the show then you most likely have outgrown the show. Understand the evoloution is key to keeping the show current and fresh after so many years, understand that while the comedy was a lot more unique with the Science and Geekiness but at the same time when it comes to the characters it was never a show about geeks but people on the back drop of geek culture. So a subsitiute for a more relationship and career centric focused show is seeing the show expand into more territories it haden't gone previously. Also understand the characters are a lot more believable and matured now.

3. Fantasists: L/P Sheldon free is very appealing thanks Nograv, whether or not Sheldon gets the memo in time remains to be seen :laugh:. I myself fantasise over various scenarios, L/P get a Security System, and is designed to respond to specific scenarios. 9pm L/P are having a lone time, Sheldon decides to make an impromptu visit, danger alert danger alert, a big net like in S3 suddenly collaspses on him :p.

Both types of fans are all welcome and every right to share your views, but it seems the majority of the fanbase particularly on the site seem to be Category 2, I have watched Big Bang Theory since Day One, as much as I miss the show about four geeky eggheads and their hottie neighbour, when I watch then I also miss a less shallow and matarilistic Penny more confident Leonard, less creepy Howard, more emotionally equipped Sheldon. Overall the show has not changed, the characters and the culture has. Besides heres evidence as to why even if they wanted to go backwards if they had a time machine that is they can't. It was around S5, which was a sign of the show starting to grow and mature. Howard's speech to Bernadette was not just a message to Bernadette, but symbolised a message to the fans too that they cant go back even if they wanted too, that moment was the beginning of the characters and the show slowly maturing.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 4

I never thought of Sheldon and Kramer in the same sentence, but when I think about it Kramer, BBT and Seinfield have a ton in common. Difference is Kramer knew the right moments to pop in and right moments not too, Sheldon mmm not so much haha.

• Like 1

General consenus in the big bang theory fandom currently, you have two types of fans presently.

1. Purist; Prefers S1-3, prefers Sheldon 1-3, prefers the light hearted nerdy comedy. Hates/Dislikes Amy or Bernadette, doesn't like how the writers have turned BBT into a rom com, say the show has run out of ideas yet want old Sheldon or old Howard xD. Believe that Sheldon is so unique he should just be locked in his room, as a guarded species he should have no contact with any human at all, Team Sheldon!! Everyone in the show should have a girlfriend but not Sheldon, they prefer him robotic and observing peoples relationships without having any human or relationship construct himself. Believe that he stories, jokes, characterizations, and the zany geeky humor was sustainable, and that people well still enjoy watching a douche Sheldon an insensitive Raj, a creepy Howard, and a lonely, pining Leonard. Prefer to live in a world of ignorance, don't understand you cant have it both ways.

2. Realists; Understand that change is the only constant, that having fundamental truth is yours and yours only, understand that after so many years the characters just cannot have the same impact they used too, understand if you no longer like the show then you most likely have outgrown the show. Understand the evoloution is key to keeping the show current and fresh after so many years, understand that while the comedy was a lot more unique with the Science and Geekiness but at the same time when it comes to the characters it was never a show about geeks but people on the back drop of geek culture. So a subsitiute for a more relationship and career centric focused show is seeing the show expand into more territories it haden't gone previously. Also understand the characters are a lot more believable and matured now.

3. Fantasists: L/P Sheldon free is very appealing thanks Nograv, whether or not Sheldon gets the memo in time remains to be seen :laugh:.  I myself fantasise over various scenarios, L/P get a Security System, and is designed to respond to specific scenarios. 9pm L/P are having a lone time, Sheldon decides to make an impromptu visit, danger alert danger alert, a big net like in S3 suddenly collaspses on him :p.

Both types of fans are all welcome and every right to share your views, but it seems the majority of the fanbase particularly on the site seem to be Category 2, I have watched Big Bang Theory since Day One, as much as I miss the show about four geeky eggheads and their hottie neighbour, when I watch then I also miss a less shallow and matarilistic Penny more confident Leonard, less creepy Howard, more emotionally equipped Sheldon. Overall the show has not changed, the characters and the culture has. Besides heres evidence as to why even if they wanted to go backwards if they had a time machine that is they can't. It was around S5, which was a sign of the show starting to grow and mature. Howard's speech to Bernadette was not just a message to Bernadette, but symbolised a message to the fans too that they cant go back even if they wanted too, that moment was the beginning of the characters and the show slowly maturing.

Well you cant really get rid of Sheldon. Considering he tends to be a bit of a mascot for the show and many of the episodes are revolve around what Sheldon doing. So anyone who wants Sheldon out of the show don't want to watch big bang theory. If Sheldon was never in this show I don't think I would have ever watched it to begin with. Sheldon dating I was never against but to be honest I thought it was going to be someone a little different from Amy. Though thinking about it Sheldon getting a girlfriend is very hypocritical considering the beginning season he makes a big deal of pointing out that people are weak and always give into their primal instincts. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan

Well you cant really get rid of Sheldon. Considering he tends to be a bit of a mascot for the show and many of the episodes are revolve around what Sheldon doing. So anyone who wants Sheldon out of the show don't want to watch big bang theory. If Sheldon was never in this show I don't think I would have ever watched it to begin with.

There is something to this, but thanks to technology the bits of Sheldon I find most egregious can be avoided by ffwd. His scene with Raj where he ends with suggesting chemical castration for instance. There is no need to watch that twice. It's fine to prefer him and fine not to. He is not going away. So I can adjust, and filter where necessary, and still enjoy TBBT. But if the show has an antagonist, it's Sheldon. He is against everyone, and even works against his own best interests. Which is funny, because he is supposed to be smart. That's probably a good thing, because if he was smart AND got his own way, he would be the overlord he wishes to be.

3. Fantasists: L/P Sheldon free is very appealing thanks Nograv, whether or not Sheldon gets the memo in time remains to be seen :laugh:.  I myself fantasise over various scenarios, L/P get a Security System, and is designed to respond to specific scenarios. 9pm L/P are having a lone time, Sheldon decides to make an impromptu visit, danger alert danger alert, a big net like in S3 suddenly collaspses on him :p.

Both types of fans are all welcome and every right to share your views, but it seems the majority of the fanbase particularly on the site seem to be Category 2, I have watched Big Bang Theory since Day One, as much as I miss the show about four geeky eggheads and their hottie neighbour, when I watch then I also miss a less shallow and matarilistic Penny more confident Leonard, less creepy Howard, more emotionally equipped Sheldon. Overall the show has not changed, the characters and the culture has. Besides heres evidence as to why even if they wanted to go backwards if they had a time machine that is they can't. It was around S5, which was a sign of the show starting to grow and mature. Howard's speech to Bernadette was not just a message to Bernadette, but symbolised a message to the fans too that they cant go back even if they wanted too, that moment was the beginning of the characters and the show slowly maturing.

I just watched the first four season again as I am putting together a list of my favorite BBT episodes, and I do have to say the first three seasons were my favorite seasons of the show, with season three quite possibly being my favorite season of TV ever - but the last four seasons haven't been exactly chopped liver - they have been very good too, I just prefer the geeky stuff over the relationship stuff, and while I like Amy, I don't really care that much if Shamy stay together or not, as romantic relationships have never been an important part of Sheldon's character, in fact he was repulsed by the idea of sex and romantic relationships in the beginning, so if he woke up in the next episode and decided he didn't want to be with Amy anymore, or if he never has sex during the course of the show, I wouldn't be upset by it, but if they do stay together I would be fine with that too - so I guess I am in the middle between realist and purist.

Edited by luke

I wouldent say Sheldon never wanted human and/or relationship construct, or procreation. Even im S2 it was clear Sheldon was not at the very least againgst the idea of having a GF. I mean last season Sheldon revealed to L/P he was not againgst the idea of coitus with Amy, to Pennys shock lol. So i dont neccessary agree that love and romance repulses Sheldon, nor do i think it ever has. I think it was the idea of procreation that Specifically erked Sheldon. It was just never part of his reality, nor was it part of Leonard, Howard, or Rajs. Before Penny entered their lifes, and was a catalyst for change in their lifes. They were all particularly Leonard was resigned to living alone. If Sheldon was ever repulsed he would of 1. Never kissed Amy and 2. Ended his relationship with Amy. And i never said the show should get rid of Sheldon, your obviousley using selective thinking, because you see everything centricallly through Sheldon. But i dont neccessary agree everything revolves around Sheldon. Most of early storylines were about Four eggheads and their hottie neighbour, and Lenny and thei early friendship were centric to that. As much i like Sheldon, if the show was just about Sheldon, and his beleif he is the perfect human, it would get really obnoxious and unwatchable really fast lol.

My point about fantisists who imagine Shelon Free is to do with Lenny, Sheldon really has become the third wheel, and has become threes company. So it would be nice if Lenny for once had alone time without constant interruption particularly from Sheldon. Im also in between Purist and Reaist, as much as i love 1-3 it was just so unique, S3 is my fav season of a sitcom since Friends. I also kno after so many years that the characters cannot have the same impact they used too, even in tv land life moves on. So having robotic Sheldon observing ppls relationships, and not having his own relationships, and still using dried up characterizations like "Bazinga!" just aint sustainable.

The initial premise has evolved from a show about four eggheads and their hottie neighbour, into an addictive ensemble piece. Obviousley since S4 the show has become relationship and career centric, and less geeky. But like i said i do not beleive the show overall has changed that much, but the characters self actulization has been deconstructed. Particularly the guys by having relationships (Leonard/Penny and Howard/Bernadette) has formed a new world in their already existing universe, its a show of collision, recently its now become a show about cohesion.

Since s4 its been less geeky, but what youve seen is a different show not worser, the writers embraced change, the characters particularly the guys are now dealing with real world things. Maybe its not obvious to everyone else, but the premise was four eggheads becoming socially aware, the writers have made subtle changes to this show, and clearly the characters, but have still maintained the heart of the show. So having human and relationship construct was inevitable by S3, yes even with Sheldon. Personally i started watching this show because of Penny haha, but then Lenny in S3. As i could relate to the nerdy guy desiring the hot blonde next door. I loved the zany, light hearted geeky humor. But ive also enjoyed seeing the characters slowly mature since S4. And RE Shamy, i too like them, but as im between Purists and Realists. I dont care either way, i dont think Shamy is an abusuve relationship. But it is an emotionally unhealthy one, for Amy and Sheldon, before Amy came along he was so focused on his work, and you could argue Amy has changed Sheldon so much, and has been a distraction.

An.d while the changes in his life have been posistive, as you saw this season in Table Polarization where L/P told Sheldon Amy has changed him, which prompted Sheldon to terminate their relationship agreement. And then the finalie, where Sheldon walked out on Amy, these changes are still so overwhelming to him. He prob feels hes betraying himself, and loosing himself in the relationship, i feel he has such strong feelings for Amy. And the fact emotion and relationships is the one thing that has always been foreign to him. Just an suggestion but maybe if Shamy took a break from each other, or Sheldon started dating to gain more exp, so he becomes more self assured. Hes still too robotic with Amy, like shes an social experiment, its all still too convinience for him.

Wasen't meant to generalize every single fan of course, not every purist is going to prefer Raj as dicky or douche or what ever haha. Just defining the characteristics and traits that character had then, of course everyone is different, and you can't label someone just based on what type of fan they are. Re Leonard and Penny, yeah I agree I really liked Leonard and Stephnaie together, wasen't just their relationship, but it really reversed the dynamics, seeing Penny or conspiciousley jealous without being obvious made Leonard look desirable in some ways to Penny anyway haha. I do agree to a certain extent that the friendship in a sitcom between two independent characters in their own right doesn't always have to translate into romance, but in Leonard and Penny's case I think it was inevitable. Their is clearly something the universe is putting out their that keeps bringing them back together, they always shared this unspoken bond in a way. So while I really enjoyed their friendship, if they weren't together now and did a Ross and Rachel in say the final episode, I am not sure I would be fine with that, personally I am glad they are together each to it's own though. While I agree Sheldon tehchniquelly ain't a robot haha, his mannerisms and behaviour has always been robotic, although I agree he just doesn't connect with most humans, and is out of sync with them and while he has shown compassion for his mother, his meemaw e.t.c. It's generally his inability to read emotions and respond to common every day things that make him robotic. Personally I always thought it was inevitable that Sheldon would get a girlfriend, I always thought the premise was Four eggheads becoming socially aware, why some may disagree with the direction the show has gone down, it also has added needed depth to the characters, because I for one could not see the guys even Sheldon continuing to have no love or any form of human and relationship construct in their lifes.

I think even by S3 Sheldon was open to the idea of it. And Amy was his perfect foil, although their relationship was more unique in S4, Amy has become almost like a girl really needy, and really demanding things I just don't think Sheldon is ready for or well ever be ready for. But their have been other instances with romance on the cards for Sheldon, two other women but he didn't seem to be interested, if Sheldon was ever going to have a girlfriend I think Amy is a much better and best fit. My point about purists is that they are one way centric point of view, clearly like you said every type of fan is different, so defining the general characteristics and traits of that "type" of fan, isin't relatable for everyone. But they generally believe that Sheldon was much better observing peoples relationships, an watching his Friends moves on, without having any relationships himself. Which constructively is incorrect I mean ever since the pilot regardless what you say about his social and emotional intelligence, he has always made room for his friends in his life, he is not that unique that the possibility is so unbelievably far fetched. His whole seating pattern used to be so he can be in the best seating position to watch tv, but Leonard really has been a catalyst for change in his life. His seating pattern is now designed so he can watch tv, but also emerse himself in conversation with his peers. I get the feeling a lot of purists and theorists, or maybe even some fantisist's prefer the Sheldon you saw in S3 flashback haha. But that's the point about not having it both ways, I don't know about you but that Sheldon was kinda a douche haha, personally I think it was always inevitable Sheldon was going to change his stance on relationships, considering who he chooses to be his Friends, and having socially, street smart, saavy Penny next door is bound to rub off on him. So my stance is the idea of Sheldon procreating or being romantic is not that far fetched to me, and while I concede some purists are NOT againgst the idea, they still prefer to keeped him locked up as a guarded speicies in the long run.

Edited by 3ku11

Not so sure I like any of the labels you used on the categories but decided to vote anyway.

I don't think TBBT can be summed up by one character. It is the interplay between all the characters the makes it a rich experience.