[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

rachelshamyfan

yeah. It looks like sheldon is realizing he's human after all, as opposed to homo novus, which can only lead to good things.

Or bad things, if ya' know what I mean. ;)

hey hey hey...save it for fanfics!!  LOL

Yea, but all these are good signs.  I mean 6 episodes in and we've gotten so much Shamy moments....Pretty amazing (with or without the hug). 

And whether they leave it in or not...the writers are aware of kinda how they want this relationship to go into season 8.  That alone is a positive note. 

I am expecting the next 3 episodes (sweep episodes) to bring something big for them (1 of the episodes at least).

But I am still in total awe at how much we've been given as Shamy shippers so far.  If you look at season 6 & 7....it didn't start out this way at all for them. 

Ok revising my train of thought now that Michy pointed out that this was the pick-up....that does TOTALLY change my views...So the 2nd take was the better hug & "steamier" line....so maybe...just maybe they'll go with that one!!!

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 3

My guess is that they weren't too convinced on Take 1, then they weren't convinced on Take 2 and maybe they're not even convinced on Take 3; in other words, they'll decide in editing with all the choices available. Or maybe, they're giving themselves a way out in case they're running short on time.

I'd rather not have a hug if it's not Take 2, but I'm not sure I understand why they're still so doubtful when it comes to Shamy and physical contact *on screen*. Same old problem.

Either way, if they *do* cut it, I hope something physical is coming up during November sweeps. You can't keep these things confined to off screen land forever. Especially not now that Sheldon is more open to physical contact with his close friends and we get to see that on screen.

(With that said, I am quite happy with the season so far.)

EDIT: Okay, never mind what I wrote, I just read Michy Geary's post. :p Come on, Take 2!

Edited by Stefania
  • Like 2

Well that's encouraging that the third take was really only a pick-up. But guaranteed they'll cut out any audible "awe" from the audience on that hug. I don't think it was the point of the scene, I think it was meant to set up Raj's joke. But yay, we may actually keep the hug after all!

And yes Kerry, I am absolutely floored with how much Shamy interaction and progression we've had in just 6 episodes. Actually let me re-phrase that. Not progression per say, but familiarity and comfort. They've really worked at showing them more in balance and justifying Sheldon's meltdown as having produced something within him. He's still Sheldon but more mature and much more in touch with his reality and his surroundings.

November sweeps may have something but I think the big pay-off will be in the February sweeps. And the reason I say that is that Sheldon's evolution is there but its still in baby step form. He still needs a few more episodes to get to the point of something more significant happening. Just my gut reaction anyway.

But overall, I feel like a lucky, lucky shipper since the season started. I can clearly see that the writers have a trajectory they're working with and I like it :)

• Like 4

It wasn't a third take, it was a pick-up. Usually they just do a pick-up to get different angles for certain aspects of the scene and dialogue and not all of it. They use those shots over the masters only if they needed a different angle, but they wouldn't use a pick-up with less of the scene in place of the full scene. At least they shouldn't. We shouldn't worry about the pick-up, they were just trying to get the Raj/Sheldon coverage. They already had the hug in the first two takes, as well as the rest of the scene.

Yesssss. Thank Oprah. :party:

Thanks Michy and Tomasina for the info!

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 6

If writers don't want "aws" they never shouldn't set up the cutest couple ever  :icon_redface:  I really find myself missing this reactions, if I know they have been there, like with second kiss, that silence was a little odd for me. I like how it shows viewers feelings about it, like a feedback . But otherwise, I'm all for second take, and that Amy's line "Save you, and left Raj behind," yes poor Raj, but It was adorable.  :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 9

Guys, I think its really important that they are putting Sheldon in situations where he has to overcome some kind of aversion in one form or another. Not only is does that show growth in his character and a willingness to put himself forward in a way he may not have been open to before but it could also perhaps be foreshadowing for shamy and his willingness to be with her in a way thats scary or at first uncomfortable. This doesn't only mean sex, even though sex could be a big one, but it could mean an I love you, moving in together, etc 

this is what we are all hoping for!!  That yes, he is accepting change, yes he is willing to try things he wouldn't do normally, and yes he is realizing a bit more what matters....

• Like 3

Guys, I think its really important that they are putting Sheldon in situations where he has to overcome some kind of aversion in one form or another. Not only is does that show growth in his character and a willingness to put himself forward in a way he may not have been open to before but it could also perhaps be foreshadowing for shamy and his willingness to be with her in a way thats scary or at first uncomfortable. This doesn't only mean sex, even though sex could be a big one, but it could mean an I love you, moving in together, etc 

I agree, that was exactly what I thought when I read the taping report. Another clue which shows Sheldon is ready to grow and make more concessions and try to do anything that put him uncomfortable. 

I feel they really build something for more.

Thank you MichyGeary and Tomasina

• Like 4

They tend to do at least two takes in order to get all the camera angles and coverage that they need. They do shoot with four cameras, but sometimes they need to move behind certain characters to get close up reactions of others, and you simply can't shoot the whole scene with a giant camera behind someone. Especially in small spaces. They don't always reshoot for a change in direction, but if they do, there's a visible difference in action or dialogue/jokes. The Shamy hug scene was played basically the same for the first two takes. I believe Tomasina said she saw Sheldon return the hug in the first take as well, which is possible since she was watching the actors (I could only see monitors from my seat) but a reciprocated hug did not show on camera. It cut to Raj on the first take. So it's possible he returned it both times, I just wasn't able to see it the first time because the camera cut away.

The pick up they did was only the end of the scene so they could get some additional Sheldon coverage. They didn't film the hug that time because they already got it in the first two takes, and they only needed certain dialogue/action from their new camera angles.

yellow_zpsd26886e7.gif

• Like 8

OMG all i can think about after reading your post is how, after this practice in the basement, Sheldon can now handle any hot and sweaty situation he may find himself in :wink:

Its gonna happen.

• Like 9

The premiere seemed rather anti-climactic at first, given the mess that was the finale, but I'm starting to revise my initial judgement on it. As much as I loved the fact that Sheldon didn't want to fail in front of Amy, I thought it was still the easy way out of the corner the writers had written themselves into not to go deeper into the reasons why Sheldon had left. They basically broke him down and then when he came back, none of the things that had made him run away were solved.

But now it's getting clearer that they're tackling on every issue separately, and they are doing it well (apart from the living arrangement issue, they're gonna procrastinate on that one for months). Sheldon's career troubles looked like they'd been resolved in Episode 2, but there we have some insight on it from Sheldon who confesses it is scary as hell to rethink his entire career so late into it. It's much more compelling to hear him say that changing his career is scary than it is to see him throw a tantrum because the university won't let him have his way. Likewise, the destruction of the comic book store was upsetting for Sheldon, but we're going to see him try to get actively involved in rebuilding it. Sheldon isn't just moaning that his favourite place got destroyed without a care in the world for Stuart who has just lost both his workplace and his home - he is now trying to put his friend back on track and take on a more "grown up" role by becoming an investor. And even if Debbie eventually comes to the rescue and Sheldon's plan falls apart, the fact remains - he tried.

And then of course there is Amy, who he ran away from last summer and who he now seems to embrace entirely. And he's involving her in these other areas of his life, as well - he asked her opinion for the comic book store, and now that he is trying out something new for his career, she literally stands by his side before he goes into this dark, confusing hole that he threw himself into when he decided to stop studying String Theory. This reminds me of the psychic's words - once he started opening up to Amy, everything started falling into place. Of course he's nowhere near done, he's only just starting, but it seems for now that the close he is getting to Amy, the more he is accepting of the fact that he is just human, and he starts to realise that things won't come to him just because he wants them to, and we see him actually tackling on his problems like a grown man. 

I'm not sure if this is just me reading too much into it, but I feel now that the writers have been more clever than I would give them credit for when they wrote in the psychic scene and that they were basically laying out their plan for the eighth season.

I want to agree with you, to a degree, but I think that the problem people had with the premiere has to do with what they thought was going on with the finale.

He went away to think, but not necessarily to solve any problems, really.

If the university wouldn't let him change his field of study, what could he do about it?  He could either choose to suck it up and continue in String Theory, or he could perhaps leave the university and try to find another institution that would take him on in dark matter.

The only thing he could do about Leonard wanting to move in with Penny would be to put his foot down about not wanting to leave his apartment for them.  He certainly can't stop Leonard from moving out.

With Amy, the only issue was her wanting to move in with him (and, once again, he WAS NOT running away from her when he left) and he already made his decision clear to her--that he did not want her moving in.

As far as the comic book store goes, there was really nothing he could do about that, as far as decisions go.  He could, I suppose, get to the point where he accepts that it's gone.

When he left, he wasn't leaving to necessarily solve or fix anything for anyone else or for himself.  He was having a bit of a breakdown, and then his train journey was ruined when his things were stolen.

As far as I can tell, he hasn't really made any decisions on his own about the issues that were pressuring him.  The university came up with the solution to his research field issue, Leonard hasn't pressed the living arrangement issue any further, and neither has Amy, and I think it was one of the other guys who comes up with the idea to go in together to invest in Stuart's store (Leonard or Howard?)

I do think that the writers are looking into each of the issues little by little, but I don't think it's so much about SHeldon having necessarily come to any conclusions or made any decisions, including the idea of "giving himself to his relationship".

I think that his confession to Amy about being seen as a failure was a moment of truth, where his usual pride was peeled away for a moment and he admitted that her opinion of him was important to him and was something he thought about.

I think the resolution of the finale and his journey came in that conversation in the stairwell with Amy and Leonard where he accepted Amy's assessment of his journey as a successful adventure, and his comparing himself to Gandalf.  Of course that new confidence was punctured by his reaction to Penny's hair, but we know that wasn't really a big deal.

I don't see that the finale was supposed to set up issues to be resolved in the season opener.  To me, it was simply how and when and in what circumstances is Sheldon going to return and where did he go, what did he do.  I never expected Sheldon to come home with a bunch of answers to things he had no control over.

They broke him down, but not in order to reshape him, but simply to give him a reason to run away--stress (not Amy).  So now he's gotten past that stress and is ready to start afresh.

I do think that they've taken him down a much calmer, sweeter path with Amy and maybe at some point they'll have him say something about having missed her, but I'm not counting on it.  I'm just happy that he and Amy seem happier together than we've seen them.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 3

OMG all i can think about after reading your post is how, after this practice in the basement, Sheldon can now handle any hot and sweaty situation he may find himself in :wink:

[sings songs] And in the hole he went...

• Like 8