[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

rachelshamyfan

I think Sheldon has to "Justify" himself. He knows what he does within his relationship is "romance" as he listed these things in his anger on Vaneltine's day train trip. I think his comment to Raj about losing friends is key in this episode. Sheldon hates change... Its denial fueled by fear.

Edited by EvilStewie

I think Sheldon has to "Justify" himself. He knows what he does within his relationship is "romance" as he listed these things in his anger on Vaneltine's day train trip. I think his comment to Raj about losing friends is key in this episode. Sheldon hates change... Its denial fueled by fear.

Well the "romantic rant" on the valentine's train trip was him making mockery of all that stuff... When in fact he actually enjoys it (hence the enormous impact of that SIK moment).

We know he hates change but the changes have been clear as water so far this season. He is happier than we've ever seen him before especially in terms of Amy.

This episode was blah BUT the smiles he gave her was adorable. I just think we have to be patient with them. I expect big things into the second half of this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Well the "romantic rant" on the valentine's train trip was him making mockery of all that stuff... When in fact he actually enjoys it (hence the enormous impact of that SIK moment).

We know he hates change but the changes have been clear as water so far this season. He is happier than we've ever seen him before especially in terms of Amy.

This episode was blah BUT the smiles he gave her was adorable. I just think we have to be patient with them. I expect big things into the second half of this season

I hope so!! I am in need of some Shamy goodies!!

I think I understand the romance comment now.  He wasn't denying they're in a "boy-girl" relationship.  Last week he said the relationship closeness inventory succeeded in taking the romance out of it.  In Sheldon's mind (delusion), there's a difference between a romantic relationship and a "boy-girl" dating, physical contact including kissing, significant other relationship.  To him romance is defined as the touchy-feely stuff he doesn't understand--the uncertainty that makes him feel better to have the relationship agreement.  And as we know, the RA is better than hot, it's binding!

• Like 1

Even Raj saw them holding hands, why didn't the writers allow us to see?

It sounds like Shamy kiss and hold hands regularly not just Sheldon bragging about it in 7.05 but their friends all saw it. This is unfair, I wanna see them kissing and holding hands too LOL.

• Like 5

Sheldon usually makes comments about his relationship with Amy not being romantic and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. He sees their relationship as superior to other people's relationship, which are usually full of romance. I guess he sees theirs as the "homo-novus" of relationships and romance is too inferior for them. So what if their relationship isn't romantic in the conventional sense, which I think is what he's saying. He does find some aspects of their relationship romantic, for example their relationship agreement or when Amy said she was embarrassed for him. Their relationship is running smoothly and I'm not worried at all. I mean, have you seen the way they look at each other? If that isn't love I don't know what is

• Like 6

I actually enjoyed the line with Sheldon stating that he had a moment with AFF where he told her that her hair smelled like duck trapped in oil (lol!). It was cute to me because I can just picture Sheldon catching a whiff of Amy's hair in a moment when they pass or get near one another. He smelled her hair! Very cute. 

And Sheldon mentioning the notion of reviewing the investment idea by the women in their lives? So committed *shipper swoon* 

Edit: My Shamy brain must be making stuff up. He did not smell it. I still do not think this line is "mean" though. It's merely a comment. We don't know how he meant it since we didn't see the scene. Thanks.

Edited by AndyRenee
  • Like 1

I actually enjoyed the line with Sheldon stating that he had a moment with AFF where he told her that her hair smelled like duck trapped in oil (lol!). It was cute to me because I can just picture Sheldon catching a whiff of Amy's hair in a moment when they pass or get near one another. He smelled her hair! Very cute. 

And Sheldon mentioning the notion of reviewing the investment idea by the women in their lives? So committed *shipper swoon*

Not smelled, looked like a duck in an oil slick, and I honestly did not see how either way anyone could think that was a compliment. Then I thought about and thought maybe she has been on his mind so much lately that everything is starting to remind him of her. He was watching a documentary and saw the duck and thought how its shiny dark back looked like Amy's hair. Then playing scrabble with her he was admiring her hair and remembered the duck. I see why Amy would storm out and I wonder how he patched things up.

• Like 2

We're all forgetting: Sheldon said, "In a moment of candor, I told her that her hair reminded me of a duck in an oil spill."
In a moment of candor. In a moment of honesty... but wait, that doesn't make sense - Sheldon is always brutally honest.
What if he meant it as a complimentary observation? Sheldon's never been good at expressing flattery, has he?

"Pay me a compliment" - Howard
"You have a tiny hands" - Sheldon

So, who knows? "Duck in an oil spill" - it's kinda poetic, this metaphor. "It did everything but quack" - maybe he was a bit annoyed that Amy didn't take it the way he intended it.

• Like 3

Random observation, but I liked how the "Sheldon taking his pants off for Emily" joke played out. Sheldon smiles at Amy while handing her food in a way that says (at least to me): "I get it, but now it's not the time to talk about this" (and of course it isn't, they're in a room full of people that are quite aware of that aspect of their relationship and have joked about it more than once) and then his expression changes to a serious one as soon as he turns away from her. While it was a bit of a recycled exchange, it's nice to see how Jim and Mayim get to play even these minor jokes that are there to fill the time, really.

Edited by Stefania
  • Like 9

Re: the duck comment. It could have just been one of those hair days so tragic even your husband, Captain Oblivious, notices and feels compelled to comment.

Maybe the description had merit that day is all I am saying. A little Aragon oil goes a long way and it is super easy to achieve that duck in an oil spill look... If oil of morrocco was involved Sheldon probably had a point...

I thought about why Amy's hair would have been oily? She's got great hygiene... Oil of morrocco. It is in everything.

• Like 3

Sorta off topic... But I wonder what the last repeat episode on Mondays will be before they move to Thurs? I think it will be Locomotive and setting us up for something.... Maybe??? Just a random thought. We have 3 Mondays left. One of those repeats has got to be that one.

After building my hopes up last season with the last 4 episodes including that awful final and then having my hopes and expectations smashed to bits, this season I'm feeling rather good about shamy, I have no problems with anything that's gone on or been said

Sheldon spends a lot of time in denial but he still wants to be with Amy and I see no sign that he doesn't and that goes for Amy, she still gets him and if the comments hurt her then she would say something and in RL he would probably get dumped but they despite dating for over three years are still learning about relationships, they are each others first

They are going to go at a snails pace and for the people they are they have made quite a few leaps and are at least comfortable kissing in front of others now

• Like 2

Random observation, but I liked how the "Sheldon taking his pants off for Emily" joke played out. Sheldon smiles at Amy while handing her food in a way that says (at least to me): "I get it, but now it's not the time to talk about this" (and of course it isn't, they're in a room full of people that are quite aware of that aspect of their relationship and have joked about it more than once) and then his expression changes to a serious one as soon as he turns away from her. While it was a bit of a recycled exchange, it's nice to see how Jim and Mayim get to play even these minor jokes that are there to fill the time, really.

I re-watched that scene a few times and I'm not certain that Sheldon heard it and was smiling in response to that.  When Amy made her comment, she was leaning over to Bernadette.  Then she turned back to get her sandwich from Sheldon and he smiled as he passed it to her.  I took his look to be more like "Here's your sandwich, enjoy."  I think he was totally oblivious to her exchange with Bernadette and that he was just happily passing her meal to her was the joke.

Could be off here, but that's how I took it.

• Like 2

I re-watched that scene a few times and I'm not certain that Sheldon heard it and was smiling in response to that.  When Amy made her comment, she was leaning over to Bernadette.  Then she turned back to get her sandwich from Sheldon and he smiled as he passed it to her.  I took his look to be more like "Here's your sandwich, enjoy."  I think he was totally oblivious to her exchange with Bernadette and that he was just happily passing her meal to her was the joke.

Could be off here, but that's how I took it.

Agree to disagree.

Just one question: How can hair look like a duck?? :mosking:  :mosking:

I think maybe her face looked like a duck and her dark hair was the oil slick surrounding it....100% odd line (not meant as an insult).  But I could see why she would be offended

• Like 1

I think I understand the romance comment now.  He wasn't denying they're in a "boy-girl" relationship.  Last week he said the relationship closeness inventory succeeded in taking the romance out of it.  In Sheldon's mind (delusion), there's a difference between a romantic relationship and a "boy-girl" dating, physical contact including kissing, significant other relationship.  To him romance is defined as the touchy-feely stuff he doesn't understand--the uncertainty that makes him feel better to have the relationship agreement.  And as we know, the RA is better than hot, it's binding!

I think his continued denial of them being in a romantic relationship is Sheldon's last line of defense in his denial loop of what is going on between him and Amy.  He obviously loves being around her, dare I say it probably even loves her but I think the thought of that scares him too much.  So if he's able to de-romanticize his relationship with the relationship test, with denying to admit to being in a romantic relationship, it frees him up to enjoy the relationship more.  He can forge ahead cause he's "not in a romantic relationship" therefore anything he's doing and enjoying is ok.  It's normal relationship protocol etc.  He's trying to make it scientific and impersonal but sooner or later that tactic is gonna fail on him big time cause either Amy will call him out on it or he's gonna hit an emotion he can't scientifically rationalize away.  Its part of their journey and part of showing the slow progression of Sheldon.  The whole push pull thing if you will.

Not smelled, looked like a duck in an oil slick, and I honestly did not see how either way anyone could think that was a compliment. Then I thought about and thought maybe she has been on his mind so much lately that everything is starting to remind him of her. He was watching a documentary and saw the duck and thought how its shiny dark back looked like Amy's hair. Then playing scrabble with her he was admiring her hair and remembered the duck. I see why Amy would storm out and I wonder how he patched things up.

See the line didn't bother me cause I honestly think he was trying to give her what he thought would be a compliment.  This was Sheldon commenting on Amy's appearance and in his mind, there was nothing negative in what he was saying.  Sure she didn't take it well but I don't think he meant to be mean in saying it and he was probably honestly surprised that she was offended.  

Sorta off topic... But I wonder what the last repeat episode on Mondays will be before they move to Thurs? I think it will be Locomotive and setting us up for something.... Maybe??? Just a random thought. We have 3 Mondays left. One of those repeats has got to be that one.

They'll go for a high rated episode from last season so it could be that one or it could be one which ties in closely to the theme for the following week.  There's no way to know.

• Like 5