[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

I re-watched that scene a few times and I'm not certain that Sheldon heard it and was smiling in response to that.  When Amy made her comment, she was leaning over to Bernadette.  Then she turned back to get her sandwich from Sheldon and he smiled as he passed it to her.  I took his look to be more like "Here's your sandwich, enjoy."  I think he was totally oblivious to her exchange with Bernadette and that he was just happily passing her meal to her was the joke.

Could be off here, but that's how I took it.

Same. It didn't even seem like he heard what she said.

It was a sweet look but not because of what Amy said to Bernie.

• Like 2

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello!   Just wanted to come say hi, i'm still new to the forum.    I wanted to thank all the shamys for being so patient with me last night. Last night was big! I'm going to try to write more BTS

I'm still reeling, I cannot think straight today. Man, I can't believe how perfect this whole milestone was, and I can't believe how consistently good the writers are at knocking *every single milesto

THE FACE THE FACE THE FAAAAACCCCCEEEE  

Posted Images

Here's the thing with this episode.  Pretty much all of Sheldon's comments "its not romantic" and "her hair looks like a duck caught in an oil spill" are offensive to a degree.  On the surface, yep they're not that nice are they?  But are they in keeping with where Sheldon is currently at emotionally? Yep.  Are they in character for Sheldon in general? Yep.  Are we sure we know what's really going on in Sheldon's head when he's saying these things? Nope.

And here's where we have the grey area isn't it?  We can choose to believe that at his core he has a good heart and he's growing or we can choose to take what he says literally as a reflection of what he truly feels.  I choose to read between the lines since his actions often contradict his words and there's been more positive evidence of his real mindset in his actions than in anything that comes out of his mouth.  

So is it okay for him to say these things? Not really but I can get past them by focusing on the actions instead of the words.  

Boy has a long way to go though and I predict a return to tension between them at some point this season.  Hopefully not a break-up as unless he does something truly dumb-assed it will come off as too cliche for an otherwise unique relationship thus far.  But I find Amy is slowly increasing in guts this year, getting more bold and it wouldn't surprise me if Sheldon is called to face the wrath of Amy before these two settle in for the long haul.

Edited by CaffeineBuzz
  • Like 4

I think maybe her face looked like a duck and her dark hair was the oil slick surrounding it....100% odd line (not meant as an insult). But I could see why she would be offended

Yes. Me too

9b41aac0d9536697e39add0d153824ad.jpg

• Like 1

I do see a blow-up of some sort for these two this season when the serious topics come up (which some will be addressed).  Does that result in a break-up, no way.  But, I also feel so far we've seen a stronger Amy this season (which we all had hoped would come out of his trip).  Even after their date night she looked pissed off that he ruined it by quizing the waiter.

I doubt she will be a doormat anymore.  Proof last night is how she played the comic book conversation.  She is smart (in some ways smarter than the other two girls).  She knew how to get her point across without crushing him in a way. 

Right now we see two different Sheldons.  One with Amy and one without Amy.  This is very norm.  He is a different person around her.  But she may start calling him out for that (along with other things) further down the line.

But again, Sheldon has grown and some of it has to do with Amy.  While some think he controls that relationship, I do think its 50/50.  She's gotten him to do things pre-Amy he wouldn't think of.  Its that push/pull dynamic of them.

I look forward to the journey I expect this season (and my ILY)

• Like 6

Sorta off topic... But I wonder what the last repeat episode on Mondays will be before they move to Thurs? I think it will be Locomotive and setting us up for something.... Maybe??? Just a random thought. We have 3 Mondays left. One of those repeats has got to be that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Miller's are coming back on 10/20. So only two more Monday repeats.

The First ILY could be like with what they did on Friends during a Thanksgiving Episode where Monica has a Turkey on her head and she dancing when Chandler said 'I Love You' however Monica took it as a I Love You in that way but Chandler meant it differently. His real I Love You came letter in the season in front of Their Friends. That when it really counted. Chandler like Sheldon was in Denial for awhile.

They Could also do the weird response like when Leonard told Penny he loved her and she responded Thank You, This has been many times on Sitcoms.

Ok...just rewatched the episode (I always watch it again during lunch more closely than on my TV at home).  Again, the more and more I see that scene, the duck/oily thing doesn't come off that bad.  Yes she was offended and I get that she stormed off BUT I really think some are focusing so much on that little story.  I don't think it was meant to mean as much as some are making it out to be.  JMO, but I think he kinda did mean it as a compliment.  In his weird way, Sheldon sucks at compliments, we know this.  Plus he does start by saying "in cantor"....

and we've hashed out the romance vs. non-romantic thingy till we are all blue in the face.

Again, this episode wasn't great, but the take-away for me is the whole comic book store convo for Shamy.  I think that was intended to be a way to say that Sheldon does consider Amy on the level of a wife and the way Amy answered and then his long pause was perfection of why their relationship works.  Its the first time indirectly he's consider her on that level.  Thats pretty big for him.

• Like 7

IDK, I ship Shamy.  I am willing to give a pass when one is due but I for one was not impressed with how the hair comment, romantic relationship played out on screen. 

It just seems to go against progress and the writers seem to be stuck in the "one step forward and however many steps back" version of Shamy.  I know they are a unique couple but I think the formula at this point in the Shamy relationship is not the way to move them forward.  Last week, you have Sheldon bragging about how great their relationship is and their score of 8.2.  This week you have Sheldon insulting Amy (yay for honesty...I get it) but that comment was not a compliment.  Fine.  Sheldon is honest to a fault, sure but then for the love of Cod show Amy have a backbone and say WTH Sheldon.  It's the imbalance shown on screen that makes it hard to stomach sometimes,IMO, of course. 

Also, the romantic line really doesn't fit in with what has been shown on screen.  Sheldon calls Amy his GF, admits what they have is intimate, they kiss on and off screen, etc...Ok fine so Sheldon thinks he is superior and above all of that.  Then back that line up on screen so it at least makes sense .  Otherwise, IMO, it's throwaway one liner that's meant to garnish some laughs (I was not laughing) and show that Sheldon is well "still Sheldon."  Har de har har.... 

This epi felt off for me re: Shamy and I am surprised that I felt that way because it is not how I reacted to the taping report.  I love Shamy I support the ship but it's epis like this that just make me groan re: Shamy.

Finally, IDK, if stated this earlier in the thread but I would like to see the writers move Shamy forward in a way that shows a cohesive, unique, quirky couple which highlights all the reasons they work as a couple and are right for each other.  The push/pull method is not working for this fan.  That was my fear heading into S8 and up until this point I was feeling pretty good that they had scrapped it.

Edited by Denise07
  • Like 4

Yeah, I'm not sure I can overlook how badly he treats her sometimes, just because he does something nice at others. One thing does not negate the other. 

I'm not saying I want him to tell her her hair looks like a chocolate waterfall, but he could just keep quiet when he has nothing better to say. 

I read the comments on the episode (in the topic of the episode) before seeing it. 
Now I have seen it, and I find nothing to worry about Shamy. On the contrary.

I think Sheldon proves once again that he becomes more mature. Just as I had already seen in the taping report, I love the scene when he told the guys to talk to their fiancé and wife about financial investment (and he adds to say nothing about hair lol). After, he talks about that to Amy. For me these scenes are really obvious.  He considers that she is somehow a lesser extent his fiance or wife, or at least he plans this, because he wants her to be in agreement with him on the subject. While he could do what he wants. 
And even the way he talks to the guys and the way he talks to Amy, I am perhaps not objective but I really think it's something important in their relationship.

Regarding his request Emily to see a button on his buttocks and Amy's remark, I see only a ironic joke. Nothing more. And what he told to Amy about his hair, it's just an observation on his part, not a hurtful or nasty criticism. In any case he would not be offensive, this is not the first time Sheldon says comments like that without realizing it can hurt.

Edit : I forgot to say, his tirade saying they are not in a romantic relationship does not bother me either. He said that to the guys, and it's Sheldon. They are a couple, and he said it easily, so that he doesn't see/realize the romance in their relationship, frankly, I don't care. The important thing for me is that she is important to him, he has said "we are a couple" to her and makes decisions in consequence , and he doesn't see his life without her (or rather sees his future with her !)
Edited by CentralPerk
  • Like 6

Yeah, I'm not sure I can overlook how badly he treats her sometimes, just because he does something nice at others. One thing does not negate the other. 

I'm not saying I want him to tell her her hair looks like a chocolate waterfall, but he could just keep quiet when he has nothing better to say. 

If Sheldon held back everything offensive or inappropriate, there would not be a Sheldon.

• Like 4

If Sheldon held back everything offensive or inappropriate, there would not be a Sheldon.

There's a big difference when the person doesn't care/is used to his offensive remarks and when she's constantly feeling bad about the things he says. I would be ok with it if Sheldon didn't mention Amy being angry, because if she doesn't care, then who am I to complain?

But she was offended and just last episode Sheldon was mentioning how he seems to be able to read situations and people better and how he misses when he couldn't...so how can anyone possibly say that he didn't know he was offending her?

O'll give you an example: everyone just loved how the gang made fun of Zach, but the moment Zach realized they were mocking him, everyone felt bad about it.

How is this any different from Sheldon offending everyone and nobody giving a crap about it and when he does to Amy and she's upset it's just ok 'because he's Sheldon?"

Edited by pisquenta

The First ILY could be like with what they did on Friends during a Thanksgiving Episode where Monica has a Turkey on her head and she dancing when Chandler said 'I Love You' however Monica took it as a I Love You in that way but Chandler meant it differently. His real I Love You came letter in the season in front of Their Friends. That when it really counted. Chandler like Sheldon was in Denial for awhile.

They Could also do the weird response like when Leonard told Penny he loved her and she responded Thank You, This has been many times on Sitcoms.

I don't think Chandler meant it differently, it's just that he said it spontaneously and he was not ready to admit it. :) And then, yes I agree, the real "I love you" has come when he admits it in front of their friends.

And about the "thank you", yeah that's remind me Ross and Emily.

Edited by CentralPerk
  • Like 1

I did not like this episode, but the Sheldon and Amy scene in the kitchen over finances was its redeeming virtue. I love that scene; I think that Mayim and Jim had by far the best chemistry and comedic chops and humor of the whole evening. I don't think that it was necessarily wrong for Sheldon to basically let Amy know how emotionally important and happy the idea of investing in the comic book would make him, and even if he did put her in a corner a little bit, he was being very upfront about it. Altogether, that scene was really magic, and it showed me how their dynamic and sort of gentle domestic tranquility and open commmunication really is at this point in time vs the weird "duck in an oil slick" story. Which I truly believe meant nothing more than Amy's hair was super greasy that day, and Sheldon pointed it out. Which seems silly, seeing as how Amy always seems clean and glossy and neat as a pin. I don't really believe she's the type to be running around with greasy hair, but I'll just chalk it up to the usual "whatever, writers."

The best touch on the Shamy scene was the mugs. Sheldon was wearing a golden yellow shirt and Amy was drinking out of the golden yellow mug, while Amy was dressed all in blue and Sheldon was drinking out of the blue mug. Like they love each so much they are drinking each other up. The color coordination was really just adorable.

Oh those two.

I believe that it was an overnight Scrabble battle to the death and Amy just didn't get to shower yet. OR. Sheldon said the comment to make her mad and forfeit the game so he could win.

• Like 5

yeah I loved the colour coordination of the mugs and more importantly Amy is comfortable enough to just make the tea in Sheldon's apartment, its very sweet

agree, that color thing was a cute touch.  I also think that whole comic book store convo with the two of them was perfect. 

There's a big difference when the person doesn't care/is used to his offensive remarks and when she's constantly feeling bad about the things he says. I would be ok with it if Sheldon didn't mention Amy being angry, because if she doesn't care, then who am I to complain?

But she was offended and just last episode Sheldon was mentioning how he seems to be able to read situations and people better and how he misses when he couldn't...so how can anyone possibly say that he didn't know he was offending her?

O'll give you an example: everyone just loved how the gang made fun of Zach, but the moment Zach realized they were mocking him, everyone felt bad about it.

How is this any different from Sheldon offending everyone and nobody giving a crap about it and when he does to Amy and she's upset it's just ok 'because he's Sheldon?"

Sheldon isn't going to be batting 1.000 every single time.  He's still learning how to process sarcasm and feelings.  It's going to be a swing and a miss sometimes, just like it is for everyone else.  So not realizing, I give him a pass on that...this time.

It was certainly an odd comment, but I have to wonder if he meant it as your hair is so shiny (we all know both of them are meticulous about their hygiene) because he just isn't one to come out and give a compliment.

I do get how Amy could be insulted, and I would have been, too, but it was up to her to say to him "That's a shitty thing to say to your girlfriend. I'm offended."   I've had to do that with my husband.  He didn't realize that what he had said was hurtful and when I explained to him that it was, he apologized. 

• Like 4

Sheldon isn't going to be batting 1.000 every single time.  He's still learning how to process sarcasm and feelings.  It's going to be a swing and a miss sometimes, just like it is for everyone else.  So not realizing, I give him a pass on that...this time.

It was certainly an odd comment, but I have to wonder if he meant it as your hair is so shiny (we all know both of them are meticulous about their hygiene) because he just isn't one to come out and give a compliment.

I do get how Amy could be insulted, and I would have been, too, but it was up to her to say to him "That's a shitty thing to say to your girlfriend. I'm offended."   I've had to do that with my husband.  He didn't realize that what he had said was hurtful and when I explained to him that it was, he apologized. 

I'm totally ok with him not changing overnight into this loving boyfriend who says all the right things.

I get that Amy is supposed to be this quirky girl with a bad fashion sense, but no they have to go all the way, they give her night terrors, and weird relatives, and dandruff, and oily hair, and hunched shoulders, and orthopedic shoes, and always have someone pointing it out. I would be seriously off this fandom if it wasn't for Mayim and her AMAZING acting and why didn't she get an Emmy already?

• Like 4

I'm totally ok with him not changing overnight into this loving boyfriend who says all the right things.

I get that Amy is supposed to be this quirky girl with a bad fashion sense, but no they have to go all the way, they give her night terrors, and weird relatives, and dandruff, and oily hair, and hunched shoulders, and orthopedic shoes, and always have someone pointing it out. I would be seriously off this fandom if it wasn't for Mayim and her AMAZING acting and why didn't she get an Emmy already?

Mayim, is that you? ;)

• Like 2

If Mayim had left after The Fourth Season like she almost did I think Sheldon would still be without a Girlfriend to be honest and would probably still be Season 3/4 Sheldon,

As Amy said She is The best GF he will ever have. No other women will put up with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 1

It wasn't a compliment. Sheldon was clearly telling Amy her hair was oily. I base this on a few things:

1) Amy understands Sheldon, and what Sheldon is trying to say, almost all of the time. If he was speaking sweetly and saying her hair looked shiny, she would have melted at the compliment. Instead she stormed out, and she stormed out because she was offended and she knew what he meant.

2) It was the middle of a competitive game; Sheldon doesn't go around being sweet when he's playing to win.

3) He said it was in candor, saying that he was being honest with her about an unfortunate truth, not that he forgot himself for a moment and complimented her too sweetly and didn't mean to. He was using candor because he was telling her something and being honest when she probably did not appreciate him being honest.

4) He's bitter about it, and his comment, "if it was any oiler it would quack," or whatever it was, suggested that it was bad and it wasn't his fault her hair was greasy, he was just being honest about it. But he was still rather pissed off, it would seem, about the way she took the comment.

It was a mild spat, but still a spat, and Sheldon was not being nice and Amy was just a spoiled, nutty bitch who didn't realize when Sheldon was saying something nice. Amy's been with him for 4 years now, and she understood what the hell Sheldon was saying from the get go. Their charm is in the way they get each other; Amy didn't make some clueless mistake. She knew precisely what "your hair looks like a duck in an oil spill" meant. It meant she needed to take a shower and wash her greasy hair, period. Besides,

5) If Sheldon simply meant her hair was shiny he would have corrected or amended his statement to clarify that before Amy got out he door. I mean, a 7-letter word play was on the line. If he meant something nice, he would have protested, "what? I meant something nice. Your hair is very shiny today" at the moment, and Amy would have been mollified. He didn't. Because that is not what he meant.

As for the romantic comment - not even going to go there. To me that's just writer stupidity. Sheldon has shown to be over the moon about his relationship and happy as a clam and super excited to brag to others about "being in a boy/girl relationship with this cute little lump of wool" because to him the relationship is "extremely intimate" and "he kisses girls now." It's a stupid, nonsensical line that was also ignoring the fact that, oh by the way, Sheldon DID alienate his friends for awhile when he met Amy, because they used to hang out in Penny's apartment to avoid her because they disliked her. So the whole, "you didn't lose friends when you started a romantic relationship with Amy" ignores that whole period, and Sheldon denying it's not romantic like in the "she's not my girlfriend" days seems more in denial by certain writers who still don't like that the past few years and whole relationship has happened rather than something that makes sense.

God, it was just a terrible, terrible episode. And 4 different characters to point out that Penny is pretty! Amy points out she's unhateable because she's pretty, Bernie points out she must have been hated because she is pretty, Raj notes that he wants her on his list and brags about banging her because she's pretty, and Emily hates her....because she's pretty. In fact, the entire Raj/Emily/Penny plot will revolve around the world-blowing fact that Penny is pretty and we all just can't stop obsessing over it.

Seriously, I would be firing people over this one it's so horrible.

• Like 8