The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

Really? I always found Raj to be smarter than Leonard. Or at least Sheldon seemed to think so.

Leonard and Raj are kind of a toss-up for me, but since Raj's IQ is never brought up whereas Leonard's is, I suppose I've always assumed that Leonard's is higher and that Sheldon just enjoys giving his roommate a hard time.

I always assumed Leonard was close to Sheldon in IQ and so Sheldon feels threatened and constantly puts him down to make himself feel superior.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've noticed that Sheldon never really has given Raj much hell. I guess it's because their field of study is so similar. Sheldon's doing dark matter now, and I know Raj was doing research on dark matter for a long time and possibly still is.

I'm pretty sure Sheldon's IQ has been specified, and in the pilot he mentions their combined IQ, so it'd be easy to figure out, right?

Edit: Yep, looks like Sheldon is 187 and Leonard is 173.

Edited by MichyGeary
  • Like 6

I'm pretty sure Sheldon's IQ has been specified, and in the pilot he mentions their combined IQ, so it'd be easy to figure out, right?

Sheldon's is 187

Leonard's is 173

• Like 1

I have always imagined it to be somewhere between Sheldon and Leonard's IQs, but I think it would be fun to discover that it's actually higher than Sheldon's, and that she's always known it but never bothered to bring it up because she either didn't want to emasculate him or she didn't think it mattered. It would be a fun A or B plot to see Sheldon struggling with that and Amy trying to assure him that it doesn't matter and he shouldn't feel insecure.

• Like 8

Oh, I don't think so. It'd be the biggest dissapoitment ever. He's always been the most brilliant mind, for himself, for everyone. And I assume, he thinks that real man should be smarter than his women.

Yeah, well I'd be happy to see the show do something totally not suffocatingly misogynistic for once.

That's not what I'm talking about. I've been thinking of an idea of Amy being smarter than Sheldon, but for Amy there wouldn't be much sense, and for Sheldon's ego it'd be so cruel and insufferable. I'd prefer them on the same level, or Amy a bit lower. Or Amy being smarter, but I want her to lie to him about her IQ then:lol: Edited by Susanna Sharanova
  • Like 1

I don't think I'd want her to be smarter than him just because of the original premise. I don't think they've ever hinted at her being smarter than him. Just like the others, she went through school in the regular way, no skipping grades, etc..

Of course, she has more common sense, mostly, but none of the others have ever been pointed out to be as highly intelligent, at least in terms of IQ points, as Sheldon. I don't think they need to prove anything by making Amy smarter than him. A man may be smarter than a woman without it being sexist.

What I like is that he respects her intelligence and liked her for that before he asked her to be his girlfriend. He wasn't attracted to her because of her body, but because of her mind.

But I like him being the smartest one in the gang while still being such a goofball and bundle of neuroses.

• Like 7

i dont think i want amy to be the smartest, but i want her to be the second smartest, so it's right if sheldon were to say "we're the smartest in the group" or something like that, because it would be completely accurate

the reason i dont want amy to be the smartest is like phantagrae said - amy didn't skip grades, and her being smarter than him wont prove anything. sheldon loves her regardless of how high her i.q. is (although that plays its part of course.)

but it does make sense for her i.q. to be close to sheldon's, cos even sheldon thinks she's intelligent and that's saying something

• Like 2

IQ score is one way to measure intelligence; it doesn't equal intelligence.  Regardless of who has the highest IQ, they're alll (even Penny) extremely intelligent in their own way.  

• Like 3

IQ score is one way to measure intelligence; it doesn't equal intelligence.  Regardless of who has the highest IQ, they're alll (even Penny) extremely intelligent in their own way.

I agree that Penny is indeed a smart person, she just isn't book smart, she's not a scholar. But she learns quickly and is socially adept.

i know i.q. doesn't equal intelligence - it isn't an accurate measurement of how smart someone is because it's a very limited test, really. measures the basics of intelligence, logic ect.

but there are more than one type of smart. so that's what i meant. still, i would like to see amy have the 2nd highest i.q.

Im sure I read about this in a fic recently....

If you go by some fanfics which shall remain nameless, Amy is not only a genius, she's also a social butterfly, a beauty queen, a goddess, and far less nerdy than she is on the show. lol...

• Like 9

Well I don't really care whose IQ is highest but I admit it would be funny if Amy's was higher one or two points but she didn't think it was important to mention it. It would also be really if we got to see Sheldon coming in terms with that because he loves her even though he cannot stand it if he is not smarter than everybody. I remember how his class with Howard went and IMO that was purely his fault cause Howard genuinly wanted to learn. So, since Sheldon is growing up this year maybe something like that would make him a little more humble. Maybe not. I just wouldn't mind or ruin the character for me or the premise of the show etc. It could be made funny if handled well.

As for Penny I agree with you guys. She is a smart person. She is the last on a list with a bunch of some genuises- that is if the last place is indeed her place. I assume it is but you never know.

• Like 2

Well I don't really care whose IQ is highest but I admit it would be funny if Amy's was higher one or two points but she didn't think it was important to mention it. It would also be really if we got to see Sheldon coming in terms with that because he loves her even though he cannot stand it if he is not smarter than everybody. I remember how his class with Howard went and IMO that was purely his fault cause Howard genuinly wanted to learn. So, since Sheldon is growing up this year maybe something like that would make him a little more humble. Maybe not. I just wouldn't mind or ruin the character for me or the premise of the show etc. It could be made funny if handled well.

As for Penny I agree with you guys. She is a smart person. She is the last on a list with a bunch of some genuises- that is if the last place is indeed her place. I assume it is but you never know.

I agree with all of the above, and add that when the question of who would win a Nobel prize first came up at the last Paley Center panel, Molaro said it's gotta be Penny.  Everyone laughed, and Chuck Lorre was so impressed he shook his hand.

• Like 1

Why do people want Amy to be smarter, or have a higher IQ than Sheldon? What is the point of such a desire?

FEMALES WIN!!!

• Like 2

FEMALES WIN!!!

Really? Is that the only reason? IMO, that's just as wrong a reason as having Sheldon be smarter simply because he's a man.

Why do people want Amy to be smarter, or have a higher IQ than Sheldon? What is the point of such a desire?

Can't speak for others but at least for me there is no desire for Amy to be smarter as a means to prove something or have some kind of satisfaction. I just think that a storyline like this could be funny. As others said IQ doesn't really show who is smarter in general (or at least that's what I got). And a difference of one or two point probably is not significant. Sheldon just takes it for granted that he is smarter and it would be funny to shake that a little. Also it would be consistent with the theme of Sheldon embracing things changing this season and letting his caring side to show if against all prediction he ends up being proud than jealous. It's not a need to make Amy look better or put Sheldon down just a potentially funny and sweet storyline at least for me.

Edited by Cecilia
  • Like 8