The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

Woah i have finally caught up with this forum and yeah i believe people want Amy to be smarter than Sheldon because it could be quite comedic if the writers set it right but i doubt it would happen but hey we still have fanfics!

Edited by SHAMY<3

In all the fics I've read about this it was mentionned a 189 IQ.

Anyways I think it could be fun and cute as well to see Sheldon's reaction about it.

As Amy is Sheldon's equal, I believe it would be fair that she has exactly the same IQ than he does.

That's a very fair point :)

• Like 2

I wrote a fic about Amy having a higher IQ then Sheldon and it's my headcanon. Now the reason why I like it this way isn't because of some male or female who's smarter issue. I think Sheldon has used his intelligence as a crutch and excuse to look down upon people and put everyone down. Now in my opinion, Sheldon perceives intelligence by IQ and your level of education.

Amy having a higher IQ than him, for me, would mean that HE thinks she's smarter than him, because that's how he perceives intelligence, even though IQ surely isn't the only measurement of intelligence.

Her having this higher IQ would hopefully make him think that hey, maybe he isn't so far above everyone else and that he was wrong about his reasoning his whole life.

For me, hopefully this rings true for him and prompts some real change.

So that's my reasoning beind my making her have a higher IQ. She'll become more confident in herself and proud of her intelligence, while maybe stirring up some change in Sheldon.

• Like 7

I'm sorry, but I don't see Amy having a higher IQ changing Sheldon in any way. I don't even think he would feel the need to compete with her when it comes down to the measure of intelligence. If it was anyone else, yes.

I think he holds Amy to a higher standard than everyone else and I would be disappointed if he threw a fit about it. I feel like it would cheapen their bond to a degree.

That said, it really doesn't matter to me who's smarter. Like others have said, IQ is not the measure of true intelligence.

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 6

I agree with those who said, IQ scale isn't a pointer of true intelligence. You can take the test one day, and another have different score. Mostly not drastically, but difference in around 5 points is normal. It can depend or your mood, or just the fact, you didn't sleep well that day, it's just test, it can't exclude all of outside variables.  IQ quotient really depends on many things besides then cognitive capacity, it's not really flawless, and there is a lot of kinds of intelligence, as was already pointed out.Number isn't really telling everything. I think Sheldon as scientist (now even reading social magazines on the bathroom), knows that too. Few points less or more I think, it wouldn't bother him in Amy. And I hope writers wouldn't go that way, to make "big deal" out of few points, it could be like Bernie making more money than Howard, to constant teasing about "what is like to have smarter girlfriend." not something I'm interested in seeing...

• Like 2

Just to weigh in on this IQ thing....I really don't think Sheldon cares about her level on the scale, i think that when he pokes at the others for not being as smart as him it is because he likes to get them riled up.....lol...and of course because he does believe that he is smarter.....One of Sheldon's heroes is Stephen Hawking and his IQ is around 160, and you never hear him putting Hawking down as not intelligent...just the opposite in fact.  I also believe that Sheldon would be aware that although IQ testing is accurate in many ways it also has limitations on how it grades, and IMO Sheldon places more value in how one utilizes their brains than their score on a test, he's often critical of where his peers focus their work, seeing the subject matter as a waste of time...possibly even their intelligence...again just my take....lol!

• Like 1

Amy is clearly extraordinarily intelligent, and most of us have said that she's probably the second smartest in the group, beating out four others who are also extraordinarily intelligent (even Howard, haha). So to say it's misogynic to say she probably doesn't have a higher IQ than Sheldon perturbs me. Lot's of women are smarter than men and lots of men are smarter than women. The only issue I have with Amy all of a sudden having a higher IQ than Sheldon is that they set up Sheldon at the beginning to be the smartest in the group, so smart in fact that he's almost an impossible person to be around with barely any social skills -- much less than the other guys anyway -- and he's been called "crazy" since season 1 for being so smart. However, they've taken that premise and have continually tried to knock him down and try to make him look ironically "not that smart" for the sake of comedy.

I know most people enjoy watching him eat a big ole' slice of humble pie, and I'm all for that as well, because I think that's how he matures and grows. But I really also enjoy seeing ridiculously, insufferably smart Sheldon. Before Amy even came along, that was the basis of his whole character, that he was so unimaginably smart (187 is insane - that's estimated almost 20 points higher than Einstein) that he can't traverse social situations the way others can. So tfor Amy to have a higher IQ (or be "smarter" because it's true that IQ isn't a complete measure of intelligence) just for laughs and to see Sheldon struggle would not only cheapen the relationship but cheapen what has made Sheldon's character so special. For me, anyways. As others have pointed out, I would be disappointed for Sheldon to choose his ego and go on a rant over his relationship with Amy. His whole journey with her has been about doing the exact opposite of that.

That all being said, Amy is definitely in contention with Sheldon, and is capable of challenging him in ways the others just can't, as evidenced in Zazzy. That's why he was so drawn to her in the first place. And despite her criticizing his work, he couldn't cope without her. He missed her terribly. So that motif of who's smarter than who was settled in that episode and doesn't need touched on again, IMO.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 9

Because why not? Whoever said that Sheldon had to be the smartest? Just because he said so?

I think it would add an interesting dynamic to their relationship, at least for one episode, to see Sheldon struggle with that. We saw it a little bit with Dennis Kim, and I thought it was interesting to see Sheldon deal with the fact that he's not the smartest cookie. I would love to see that happen in his relationship with Amy because I want to know how he'd handle it if it was someone he loved instead of some random kid that comes to the university for a week. I don't even care if, by the end of the episode, they learn that the results were miscalculated and her IQ isn't higher after all. I would just like to see how he deals with it. And I also like the idea of Amy being better at something than Sheldon. I don't like this "Sheldon is better than everybody at everything." It's only interesting if different people have different strengths and weaknesses and we see how they interact. 

And for me, I think it's ridiculously misogynistic for people to constantly be like "the boys must be smarter than the women." We've seen that Bernadette can be more accomplished than Howard and people are okay with that. Why is there so much resistance at the idea that Amy could actually be intelligent?

well I think it was already said, she's very intelligent, and I believe it was indicated, she's very close to Sheldon in this aspect, so idea of her being few points higher (cause, how much higher than 187 you can get? It  couldn't be really much) in IQ scale measurement, just doesn't mean for me she's smarter, and that causes some big issue. If I would go with your idea to show Sheldon isn't better in everything, and give Amy something really value to show her brilliance, and a little bit superiority, for one or two episodes, I would like to see Amy doing some big breakthrough in science, which could cause Sheldon to think about him, not really accomplish much, and it could bring something like "Am I really good enough for her?" question. I think her really excel in her career unlike him, would be bigger issue for him to accept, then few points on IQ test.

• Like 1

There is no misogyny here. Sheldon isn't smarter than Amy because he's a man and she's a woman. He is smarter than everyone INCLUDING Amy because he's Sheldon. That was set up on the show long before the writers ever dreamed her up. He went to college at 11. He had five degrees by the age when most people have only earned one, maybe two. He's scary intelligent, with everything negative that could come along with that - idiosyncrasies, eccentricities, social maladjustment, and a myriad of other psychological issues running rampant inside his itchy brain. His intelligence is his saving grace.

Well, also, he's not hard on the eyes. But I digress.

• Like 8

Oh boy. Why does everything come down to misogyny? I feel they are intellctually compatible because they are equally intelligent.

I don't even think it has ever been implied on the show that Amy is "not smarter" because she's a woman.

• Like 4

There is no misogyny here. Sheldon isn't smarter than Amy because he's a man and she's a woman. He is smarter than everyone INCLUDING Amy because he's Sheldon. That was set up on the show long before the writers ever dreamed her up. He went to college at 11. He had five degrees by the age when most people have only earned one, maybe two. He's scary intelligent, with everything negative that could come along with that - idiosyncrasies, eccentricities, social maladjustment, and a myriad of other psychological issues running rampant inside his itchy brain. His intelligence is his saving grace.

Well, also, he's not hard on the eyes. But I digress.

You said what I wanted to in much fewer words. :p :p

But yes. I don't think he's been shown to excel at everything, certainly not driving, teaching, or not being scared of birds or hamsters (although he can pick up a snake with no other disturbance than the germs - hmm). His being so smart and obsessed with his work has debilitated almost every other facet of his life. What else does he have other than being the smartest? Lol. If they took that away, he'd have all these personality flaws, but for what?

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 2

I don't want a lot for Christmas.

There is just one thing I need.

I don't care about the tapings.

After November 18th.

I just want Shamy to go

Underneath the mistletoe

Make my wish come truuueeeee

All I want for Christmas is my OTP under the mistletooooooooeeeee

Omg that's one of the Christmas songs I hate but your version is talking straight into my heart..

• Like 3

Hi folks, not to derail a fun discussion of misogyny, but quick question:  Do we actually know where Mrs. Fowler lives?  i.e. if she's also in California, or could she live in another state?  Working on a fic and don't want to break canon if I can help it.

• Like 2

Random S6 observations:

I'm sure someone has probably mentioned these points, but late S5/early S6 has been on here today and two things struck me. Firstly, I think I understand why Raj was brought on their second anniversary date. I think Sheldon was feeling the pressure to make it special for Amy that evening, and was concerned that he wouldn't. In typical clueless Sheldon fashion, he came up with what he thought would be the perfect solution - Raj could pick the restaurant and provide conversation (after the first drink!) and he just had to be there. What could go wrong? Amy understandably didn't know that was his thought process though, and probably came as close to breaking up with him as she ever did, until Sheldon eventually did romance perfectly all on his own with the Spiderman quote.

Which just goes to show, they do much better when they go with their instincts rather than trying to do what they think the other wants, or (in Amy's case) what she has told herself she wants.

Also in the conversation with Leonard with the Transformer analogy, when Leonard says Amy has turned Sheldon into a man with sexual desires, he says it's preposterous (which he no doubt thought at the time) but he didn't say no. Just because he considered it preposterous didn't mean it wasn't true.

• Like 9