[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

Tv media insights has tbbt listed on their "best on television 2014", and they make a quite interesting paralell between Shamy and David Addison and Maddie Hayes in "Moonlighting", if anyone remembers that show.

"And lovebirds Sheldon (Jim Parsons) and Amy (Mayim Bialik) inching closer to actually physically touching each other is a dangerous reminder of what happened to Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd on “Moonlighting”. Note to the writers: keep us wanting more"

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/fun-stuff/best-on-television-in-2014/

• Like 4

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello!   Just wanted to come say hi, i'm still new to the forum.    I wanted to thank all the shamys for being so patient with me last night. Last night was big! I'm going to try to write more BTS

I'm still reeling, I cannot think straight today. Man, I can't believe how perfect this whole milestone was, and I can't believe how consistently good the writers are at knocking *every single milesto

THE FACE THE FACE THE FAAAAACCCCCEEEE  

Posted Images

The Moonlighting characters are much more like Beckett and Castle in Castle than Shamy. Moonlighting was an hour drama if I remember correctly and Willis Shepherd were the leads.There was romance and comedy but it was an adventure drama primarily. I may be mistaken as it was a long time ago.

Bruce Willis and Shepard didn't get along .I found this from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlighting_%28TV_series%29#Ratings_and_decline

The show's ratings decline is popularly attributed to Episode #14 of Season 3, "I Am Curious… Maddie", which infamously had Maddie and David consummate their relationship after two and a half years of romantic tension. In commentaries on the third season DVD set, however, Caron stated that he didn't feel the event led to the show's decline, but that a number of other factors led to the series' decline and eventual cancellation.[7]

Much of that was attributed to the fact that in the fourth season Willis and Shepherd had little screen time together. Jay Daniel explained that, "we had to do episodes where there was no Cybill. She was off having twins. Her scenes were shot early, early on and then you had to integrate them with scenes shot weeks later. You were locked into what those scenes were because of what had already been shot with Cybill."[19] Bruce Willis was also making Die Hard during this period. When that movie became a box office success, a movie career beckoned and his desire to continue in a weekly series waned. In a series that depended on the chemistry between the two main stars, not having them together for the bulk of the fourth season hurt the ratings.

Edited by alexaaa

Truly, if you want to compare Shamy to a long ago TV series, I would pick I LOVE LUCY rather than Moonlighting--with Sheldon as the wild, unpredictable Lucy and Amy as the patient, long-suffering Desi.  I vaguely remember talk at back then that when Lucy became pregnant it would wreck the nature of the show, but, lo and behold, some of the very best episodes occurred when Lucy was pregnant and after little Ricky was born. I see the same for Shamy.  The comedy potential in a Shamy love affair, engagement, marriage, and pregnancy is great.

• Like 1

Like Phanta said, critics like to bring up "Moonlighting" as a cautionary tale of what will happen if a couple on a show finally consummate their relationship. But there are other examples where it works out just fine. "The Office" brought Jim and Pam together and the show survived just fine (that is, until Steve Carrell left).

• Like 1

Thank you, Phanta.

So I guess what they're saying is that they're afraid there will be no story left to tell after Shamy do the deed.

Ofcourse we knows that wont happen. Like Patsy said, there's so much comedy potential left with Shamy to do post coitus.

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 8

Thank you, Phanta.

So I guess what they're saying is that they're afraid there will be no story left to tell after Shamy do the deed.

Ofcourse we knows that wont happen. Like Patsy said, there's so much comedy potential left with Shamy to do post coitus.

And mostly, the show isn't built around just that one thing. I do think they'll likely hold off on it as long as they can--and they still have reasons they can do that--to make for a bigger payoff when it finally happens, but I don't think that will be the climax if the show, since that isnt what the show was built on.

One could make the argument that the payoff might be the Lenny wedding, because of the smart/beautiful babies, and so they might wait on that as well, but there's always funny stuff they can all get up to, apart from the relationships.

And I kind of think they might buy themselves some time by focusing on the Raj/Emily relationship.

• Like 1

Having never watched Moonlighting what did happen to Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd on the show?

They hated each other in real life. When they did get together the producers dropped the ball with it but CS on maternity leave didn't help matters. Bruce Willis had Die Hard by this time and honestly they phoned in the last season.

You can keep things exciting with after sex if you do it right (i.e Booth and Brennan on Bones). I feel the same way about the Shamy.

Edited by mphs95
  • Like 1

Yea that electromagnetism is a favorite of mine.

I have always said there are parallels between the two couples. Both Leonard and Amy are the care givers in their relationship and support their alpha partners. But just like there was a turning point in Lenny the train trip was a big one for Shamy. It needed to happen to reset and even out the relationship. And not just for Sheldon, but for Amy. She learned that she cannot rely on Sheldon for her happiness. So this season we've seen it. A happier more confident Amy. She is standing up for herself. She is smiling more. This was crucial if they were ever going to really move forward. Look at how confident Leonard is now... So yea same is happening for Amy (in terms of their relationships)

And as proton said... Appreciate them... And clearly this season he has!!!

I think there's another parallel in that both Sheldon and Penny have been overwhelmed at times by the intensity of their feelings for their respective partners. Neither had ever met anyone who made them feel such love, and it's scared them. In Penny's case, it comes out in fear of commitment, while, although Sheldon had no problem with committing to Amy, his desire for her was very hard to accept. They come at their relationships from opposite ends really, but I think they're getting to the stage now where they're starting to meet in the middle.

They also both try to be more 'logical' as regards their relationships than their significant others, even if we know it doesn't really succeed. Penny pretended Pryia didn't bother her - Amy knew she did, and there are many examples of Sheldon making out he wasn't too bothered about Amy that Leonard could see through instantly.

Edited by Bella Duveen
  • Like 8

Guest Loyal to SPQR and Shamy

I'm binge-watching BBT because I have a little time off for Christmas. From the Lunar Excitation to The Clean Room Infiltration, Sheldon and Amy have had a beautiful, intellectual relationship. Though much of the relationship's outer image has changed, at its core, it is still the same, beautiful, loving, respectful relationship that, to quote Sheldon, "is based upon mutual admiration, skewed in my favor".

Perhaps, in light of recent events, the admiration has skewed the other way?   :icon_biggrin:

Edited by Loyal to SPQR and Shamy
  • Like 7

Thank you guys for the birthday wishes and i thought you said i have found season 10 for 4 dollars! Haha. Just done a whole load of travelling for ages to get to sweden for christmas

Found season 4 for only 10 dollars now I have all the Shamy season :)

Edited by SHAMY<3
  • Like 2

Thank you guys for the birthday wishes and i thought you said i have found season 10 for 4 dollars! Haha. Just done a whole load of travelling for ages to get to sweden for christmas

I am a time traveler Season 10 is great, They all end up with Nobel prizes and Shamy get married

• Like 8

Shamy is such a unique and great couple that the writers have an abundance of material to choose from pre and post coitus. I personally think Sheldon has strong sexual desires for Amy already, he's just so overwhelmed by it, it scares him. I really think it will happen but the lead up to it is the fun part...for me at least. There are so many milestones to check off, I cannot wait!! Whether they happen on or off screen is okay for me. As long as the moments we do see are special, which I am sure they will be. The only other thing I really want this season is to see a passionate kiss initiated by Amy, or a mutual kiss lasting 20 seconds, then I'm good until season 9.

I'm more hopeful we'll actually get one. Amy kicking sheldon out of their date prevented us seeing the normal end of date kiss. I'm choosing to believe they're holding out for something good. Although I wish if they were going to do it anyway though that they would have thrown in a joke about amy refusing to let him kiss her goodbye because he was so smelly. Edited by Tomasina
  • Like 6