The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

I hadn't thought about the Taurus/Pisces thing, but that's another little oversight/change.  Ah, well, what can you do?

Another reason why the test couldn't be taken by L/P or S/A is that they're already in love.  The test would only work with either 2 complete strangers or 2 people who assume it would not work.

L/A started to take it and promptly nixed it.  It makes sense to me that S/P would be the ones to take it, and ultimately the questions are used to poke fun at each other, and then to say they feel like siblings, not to show any romance between them.

• Like 3

About Sheldon's sign, I believe it was not something that was certain in the show, was it?

I remember an episode in the first seasons when Penny is waitressing at the Cheesecake Factory and she tells something to Sheldon like "typical Taurus", but I don't remember if it was mentioned some other time.

Maybe she was just guessing according to his behaviour... Or not?

• Like 3

Sheldon is a Taurus, meaning he's born between April 20 and May 20. Don't know if the writers forgot that (or expect us to) or if the episode was pre-taped to be aired closer to may.

Probably the first one.

They do seem to forgot things like that, or think that their audience won't remember. I suppose they could keep the episode back to May, but that seems a long time. It's scheduled for the Feb 19, so now we have an actual date as opposed to somewhere between April 20 and May 20. Couldn't he be Pisces with Taurus rising?

The other thing is if he didn't want anyone to know when his birthday was, he could have lied before and as Penny was doing his horoscope, he would have given her the wrong date just so he could say to her that she was wrong because she had the wrong date. Though you would have thought it would have been easy for them to find out his birthdate, just call his mother.

The other option is, that like the Queen, he has two birthdays!

• Like 1

Sheldon´s adress is 2311 Los Robles Ave, and he was born in 1980

(Koops, you are GREAT)

Edited by Susana Alcira Cairó

Him being born in the end of February does fit with his drivers permit though. Lol. So maybe he does has two

f41639fbb0f2998867cac6b46170327c.jpg

Where did you find this?  I love it!

• Like 1

where did you find that Jamie??? OMG I never saw that. Love it!!

Found online, long time ago so can't remember where. It was stated it was a prop from 2.05 - The Euclid Alternative. But idk, it could be something fanmade aswell, if it is they were spot on about the date if this ep airs on the 19th or 26th

If it is a real prop than it was made before they started become more clear as to what year Sheldon is born, which according to episode 3.14, 4.02, 5.05 and 5.15 is either 81 or 80.

I believe it was not until season 4 they also stated out which adress they live on.

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 4

For those of you still upset, think of it this way. Lio is right in her assessment. In a nutshell, this episode is nothing but a giant "F U" to the hardcore Shenny's who keep bugging Bill on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does make me feel better! Thank you!

• Like 2

For those of you still upset, think of it this way. Lio is right in her assessment. In a nutshell, this episode is nothing but a giant "F U" to the hardcore Shenny's who keep bugging Bill on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know that they would set out to do that on purpose, but it could very well be that it just happened to evolve that way.

First, I loved it for a purely personal reason: this stupid article about “how to fall in love with anyone” has been shared by pretty much everyone and their grandmother on my FB feed in the last month and it’s been driving me NUTS. I have had so many rants about how it’s a pile of nonsense (because the original research article, not the NYT one, claims a very different result) that to see the show itself prove it as such was soooo damn satisfying for me. 

I didn't think the article was stupid. It was part of the New York Times "Modern Love" series, and like the rest of the series, it's a personal narrative about the author's own experience with love. It's not meant to be scientific at all. The "To Fall in Love with Anyone, Do This" title is meant to be tongue-in-cheek--she doesn't prescribe it to everyone as a way to fall in love or to make someone fall in love with you. She made the point that she and the man in the article might have fallen in love anyway without the test. I think she used the test as a jumping off point to make some observations about love: that it takes work, that it's scary but worthwhile to share deeply personal dreams and goals with a romantic partner in order to really know each other, and that you should "see" your partner (literally and figuratively) for who they really are.

Sheldon and Penny gave glib, not heartfelt answers to the questions because it's funnier that way. Plus they're each in love with someone else, so of course the experiment isn't going to work.

Edited by frankie

So obviously, one of the greater moments was when Sheldon mentioned that he professed his love to Amy. Ahhhhhh!  :icon_redface:  :icon_redface:  :icon_redface:

I hadn't read that.

He did? 

And he is open about it? WOW that is really nice! :) 

• Like 4

Okay I'm just gonna try to say this one last time and then I'm out on this topic for a while.

I'm pretty sure literally no one who is upset about the episode is so because they find the Shenny stuff an actual threat. So no one needs to make the argument about how Shamy are solid or Lenny is solid. We literally all know that.

The issue people are having, at least the issue I'm having, is that we're entertaining this at all. The argument that Sheldon and Penny can engage in intimate activities and we're fine with it because it proves they're not in love makes no sense to me. Are we okay with them kissing to prove their not in love? If the test called for a four-minute lip lock, and they pulled back feeling nothing, would we likewise rejoice that they've proven they're not in love? For me, the argument just does not suffice. The ends does not justify the means. If people are happy with it, then I'm glad. But please try to understand why some of us aren't.

Because all the Lenny engagements and Shamy ILYs in the world aren't going to erase the intimacy the writers are so hell bent on portraying between Shenny. I think it's time to put that trope to bed.

I guess the question I was trying to get at earlier, though, was this--was it really intimate at all?  I mean, judging by the kinds of answers they were giving, it didn't seem to me like they were really opening up their hearts, apart from the discussion about Penny not feeling smart and Sheldon wishing he could understand people better or whatever.  It seems like it wasn't really about intimacy in the sense that we all use it.

While it may not be necessary to prove anything, in the end it's more about the humor, it seems to me.  The silliness of the concept that a set of questions and gazing into each other's eyes could actually create or mean anything, especially between Sheldon and Penny.  Perhaps between two people who were actually seeking a romantic relationship with the other participant.

But it seems to me that the way they go about it is more like an experiment than it is about seeking intimacy.  It's almost like a bet, but both of them know that they're not going to fall for the other.  Sheldon in his overblown egoism figures she might fall in love with him, because who wouldn't?  But it's not as if they're really seeking love from each other.

They're not really trying to see if they'll fall for the other or hoping for it, or putting any real stock in it.  At least that's the way it reads to me.

• Like 5

I hadn't read that.

He did? 

And he is open about it? WOW that is really nice! :)

He did, indeed....in front of everyone else in the room. :)

• Like 5

He did, indeed....in front of everyone else in the room. :)

AND the studio audience   :)

Why in the sneak peek I just watch Sheldon's entrance over and over??

Edited by notchinc
  • Like 5

AND the studio audience :)

And that to me is all that matters....but JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So, I went back to fully read the TR, because I only skimmed through parts of it earlier today. Surprisingly, I found myself laughing a lot with all three plots. I am interested in seeing Emily, Raj, Amy and Leonard complete their zombie mystery (in 6 minutes). It sounds like fun and I don't think these four have really spent time together before. Seeing Emily and Raj on screen together is always nice. The Howardette scenes were funny and touching. I just know I'll get teary eyed once Howard starts talking about how he should have taken his mom to the airport. Their scenes are what I am most looking forward to seeing. The Sheldon/Penny scenes really didn't seem so intimate to me after all. The part where he wishes he could read minds and she wished she could make things easier for him was sweet, but only in a friendship kind of way. Other than that, it seemed like typical Sheldon/Penny conversation (minus the stare down). :icon_rolleyes: I was hoping for more with this episode, but I'm not really disappointed.

Sheldon proclaimed his love for his woman!!! So in love with Shamy. :shy:

I wonder what Shamy talked about after the birthday surprise.

• Like 6