[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

rachelshamyfan

OMG! So excited! Thanks, Dana.

How cute is that though? Instead of, "we're having a baby!" it's "we're getting a turtle!" LOL. Adorable.

Someone's been reading FF.net. I swear.  We introduced turtles into the relationship years ago.  :)

Edited by notchinc

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am seriously blown away by how much I'm digging the Shamy this season. While I wasn't in chat, I got hold of spoilers through the grapevine, and (from what I gathered at least), I think the symbolism in this episode is incredibly incredibly clever on the writers' part.

I know that some are upset or might get upset that Sheldon is being "selfish" and aloof and Amy has to get upset before he realizes that, but, frankly, I think that's distracting from the bigger picture. This is the "future" talk between them done in an incredibly quirky, nerdy, and original way. Where you usually have, I don't know, the partner applying for a job abroad and that leading to tension and the two discussing their intentions towards marriage and kids, here you have Sheldon applying for a trip to Mars (like that's ever going to happen anyway - not just for Sheldon and on the show, but these applications to go live on Mars are so ridiculous at this stage I liken them to Howard's tape to get a cameo in Star Wars), and Amy going "what about our turtle!". Then, in a move that, IMO, parallels really well both Amy's fanfic from last week (Cooper about to go back to the future and then deciding to stay) and Weekend Vortex from S5, Sheldon realizes his messup and tries to fix it immediately. I am honestly not upset that it didn't occur to him right away that by applying to live on another planet that would mean leaving Amy behind or have some impact on their relationship. I think that just as during Vortex he was just coming to terms with the responsibilities of a boyfriend to stick by his commitments, and here he is starting to come to terms with the fact that he and Amy are for the long run (hence why they get a turtle, a pet that lives hundreds of years, as opposed to a hamster that barely lasts a year), and is beginning to put 2 and 2 together. 

I said many times that I don't particularly care about weddings and babies or any of that stuff, and I would not be disappointed at all if we never got any mentions of that on the show as far as these two are concerned. But I'm not against the idea, and I was kind of shocked at the ease with which they are apparently talking about having Martian babies and colonizing another planet: will Mars become the Benign Overlords red planet? Where other couples want to have kids to start a baseball team, Shamy want to have them to colonize other planets. LOL! All in all though, kids or not, it speaks of a commitment they don't seem scared of making. 

Add the cuteness of the opening scene and the hug on top of it all, and I see another Shamy gem in this episode. I have been complaining for a long time that I was fed up with all these mentions of casual physical contact and hugs off-screen, often to make the point that there was SUCH progression on that front, and to never ever see it on screen. I'm happy we are finally getting both (hand hold and hug) on screen. I personally don't care if they kiss, hug, or just express their admiration for each other in words. I'm just always happy to see demonstrations of affection between them, and I'm still as excited as if it were the first hug.

eta: I forgot to say that the one thing that really upsets me is that they didn't get the turtle in the end. I know the show hardly ever ends episodes with the conclusion that started it, but I really think they could have gotten the turtle anyway and it would have made for an awesome comedy plot device for the future, ala Cinnamon. It's not really that huge a change for the show and nobody would even get to see it. Turtles are so low maintenance anyway. I'm kind of tempted to lobby Bill to bring it back! :p

Edited by koops

Okay so I am a sucker for casual Shamy physical contact. There were 3 beautiful Shamy contact moments that I saw.

1) In the opening scene, Sheldon grabs Amy's hand and they hold hands while they tell Leonard and Penny that they decided to buy a turtle.

2) At the pet store Amy is holding onto Sheldon's arm helping him get past the terrifying puppy section.

3) After Sheldon asks Amy if she would consider going to Mars with him, Amy walks towards him and gives him a hug. He wraps his arm around her and rests his head on the top of her head tilting his head slightly in a cute way.

Number 3 was my personal favorite, but that is probably because of my obsession with Shamy hugs. lol :giveheart:

so sweeeet  :tender:

it's important that Sheldon wants to know if Amy would go with him on Mars, this means that he begins to imagine his future with her and not with Leonard and Penny! So happy for Amy!!!  :)

I know that Sheldon has not asked Amy to move in with him, but here we have him asking her to go to Mars with him.  To me that is saying 'will you spend your life with me'.  It is as if he is testing the waters, almost a Sheldon type proposal.  

Yes I know I am clutching at straws, but you never know.

I agree 100% them having this turtle/ Mars storyline is a way of slowly saying he is getting ready for more. A shared pet would mean you expect to spend a lot of time together, share responsibility. Whose house would they have kept the turtle at, either way they expect they will be spending more time at each other's place. I love that they have increased their contact in this episode and here's hoping that towards the seasons end we might get to see more.

Great post, koops! I love the fact that they chose to go for a turtle for the same reason you did. When Shamy commits, it commits hard. "We ain't getting a pet that will live a year or five — we're getting a pet that will probably outlive us both!" [insert "That's love, bitch!" gif here]

I really want the turtle back. Not only would it not be much of a change for the show (seriously, it's a freaking turtle. All it needs is to be seen in the background.), I was also thinking it could have been such a nice and original way to bring these two to living together, as well. Sheldon and Amy would have had shared custody of the turtle, one week at Amy's, one week at Sheldon's, and after a few months/a year, Sheldon would have invited Amy over, and told her how all the trips and the going back and forth was confusing Giuseppe and making him sad, so, really, "wouldn't it be best if we just went ahead and lived together? For Giuseppe's sake, of course." Classic Sheldon denial, and advancing the plot in a funny and quirky way. 

#BringGiueseppeBack2015

Hey.what the hell is happening here? Oh my.. Is it true? Sheldon wants to go to Mars or its just another fan fiction? Im quite thrilled with the idea im laughing out loud.. Really..

He wants to take her to mars and copulate by happily catch her firing eggs with the reproductive sac on his upper flermin.

Edited by Jamie

Generally, when couples know they will we be together for a while they consider getting a pet together.
Most of the time, the life span of the animal is considered. "Can we get a dog -will we be together for 10 years + or there be some sort of bitter custody battle?"
No, these guys show commitment-  it's a TURTLE for crying out loud and live for decades.sometimes they outlive their owners!

To me but this shows they will be together for the long haul and they know they're in it for the long haul. SHELDON knows he is in it for the long haul.
And asking Amy to go to Mars with him? LONG haul...really really long haul.

Sunset years together on Mars with the turtle they bought after declaring their love. That is of course until it bit Sheldon. 

This is bigger than big. It's HUGE!!!

*breathes into paper bag*

*edited for readability, stoopy tablet

Edited by Such a Hag

Great post, koops! I love the fact that they chose to go for a turtle for the same reason you did. When Shamy commits, it commits hard. "We ain't getting a pet that will live a year or five — we're getting a pet that will probably outlive us both!" [insert "That's love, bitch!" gif here]

I really want the turtle back. Not only would it not be much of a change for the show (seriously, it's a freaking turtle. All it needs is to be seen in the background.), I was also thinking it could have been such a nice and original way to bring these two to living together, as well. Sheldon and Amy would have had shared custody of the turtle, one week at Amy's, one week at Sheldon's, and after a few months/a year, Sheldon would have invited Amy over, and told her how all the trips and the going back and forth was confusing Giuseppe and making him sad, so, really, "wouldn't it be best if we just went ahead and lived together? For Giuseppe's sake, of course." Classic Sheldon denial, and advancing the plot in a funny and quirky way. 

#BringGiueseppeBack2015

I need this yesterday.

#BringGiuseppeBack2015

He wants to take her to mars and copulate by happily catch her firing eggs with the reproductive sac on his upper flermin.

Nope....not for a while. No babies!

http://www.mars-one.com/faq/health-and-ethics/can-the-astronauts-have-children-on-marsttp://www.mars-one.com/faq/health-and-ethics/can-the-astronauts-have-children-on-mars

Edited by Such a Hag

I was also thinking, more comedy with the turtle could be something like... Sheldon leaves for work and says goodbye to Giuseppe in the morning, and when they come back in the evening, the turtle has barely made it halfway across the room. You could have tons of time-jokes with the turtle just being in the background at different distances from things across hours/days. Or them trying to trick the other by moving the turtle so it seems like time has passed faster/slower.

This stuff just writes itself!

Edited by koops

I usually wait to let it all soak in but OMG what an amazing and revealing Shamy episode.

him taking her hand, announcing to their friends they are getting a turtle.  And such a metaphor for their relationship

a turtle shows they are prepared to be together for the long haul.  No other couple has made that sort of commitment to each other. 

then in true season 8 Amy, she is upset with what Sheldon says about going to Mars and voices her feelings about it and doesn't back down.  I am loving her this season, so confident!!

And then him inviting her to go with him.....that is so a Shamy way of saying I want you forever.  And her hugging him and him embracing it!!

This was jammed pack with Shamy growth & goodness.

I now don't see physical steps as their next milestone...but possibly an engagement and/or spending the nights together.  I do still think we will get a make-out this season, but I really am expecting the finale to hit upon the future and them....

The feels right now over this!!

A turtle also requires little interaction apart from feeding and cleaning its terrarium. It's almost like a fish when it comes to the idea of contact and interaction.

And don't they often carry things like salmonella?

Did they name it Giuseppe like a teenage mutant ninja turtle?

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, just wondering about other aspects.

Do they have any dialog that shows how they came to the decision to get the turtle in the first place.

I think they could keep the turtle if they had it live with Amy, especially since under the Roomate Agreement, pets are not allowed in his apartment. Amy could talk about it whenever they wanted, the terrarium could be in the background in her apartment, and now and then they could actually show some interaction with the turtle.

A turtle also requires little interaction apart from feeding and cleaning its terrarium. It's almost like a fish when it comes to the idea of contact and interaction.

And don't they often carry things like salmonella?

Did they name it Giuseppe like a teenage mutant ninja turtle?

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, just wondering about other aspects.

Do they have any dialog that shows how they came to the decision to get the turtle in the first place.

I think they could keep the turtle if they had it live with Amy, especially since under the Roomate Agreement, pets are not allowed in his apartment. Amy could talk about it whenever they wanted, the terrarium could be in the background in her apartment, and now and then they could actually show some interaction with the turtle.

No pets. Except when they're Sheldon's (*coughs* 25 cats! *coughs*).

And shame on you, Phanta! There was no TMNT named Giuseppe! :p It's Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo and Rafael. 

Edited by koops

This was a great Shamy episode and Sheldon actually chased after Amy! When Amy was upset and said she wanted to go home, Sheldon ran after her into the hallway and that's when he said he wanted her to go to Mars with him. He said something like if I'm going to a place when I might die, I want to be there you. :) Then the HUG. Sheldon HUGGED BACK. It was AWESOME :)

Edited by happykitty

I decided to crawl out from under the rock where I've been hiding to say hello.  ;)  Anyway, while I've been REALLY hoping for more kisses, I'm pretty happy with the hug and the handhold, especially since Sheldon initiated the latter.  And I love the way you guys think in regards to the turtle.  I definitely think it speaks to the idea that they're both committed and in this relationship for the long haul.  So cute!  And awww...seeing what happykitty just wrote makes me so happy!  These two are really growing together and they love each other so much.  I can't wait for the taping report!

Okay I am not going to talk details about every scene, but the cold open had my heart pounding so I will share with you that one.

Leonard and Penny walk into the apartment after walking up the stairs and find Sheldon and Amy standing at the island in S&L's apartment. Sheldon says good your home. They both walk towards them and Sheldon puts his hand back to take hers in his. They hold hands in the living room staring at Leonard and Penny. They start saying how they have decided to take their relationship to the next step after much evaluation of their relationship. Penny replies nervously with "okay". Then Sheldon turns to Amy and says "do you want to say it", and Amy says "let's say it together". Then they both say at the same time "we're getting a turtle".

The scene is set up to make you think they are going to say something like coitus, engaged, or something along those lines. But that is just good comedy. :cool:

Edited by dana1010

Okay I am not going to talk details about every scene, but the cold open had my heart pounding so I will share with you that one.

Leonard and Penny walk into the apartment after walking up the stairs and find Sheldon and Amy standing at the island in S&L's apartment. Sheldon says good your home. They both walk towards them and Sheldon puts his hand back to take hers in his. They hold hands in the living room staring at Leonard and Penny. They start saying how they have decided to take their relationship to the next step after much evaluation of their relationship. Penny replies nervously with "okay". Then Sheldon turns to Amy and says "do you want to say it", and Amy says "let's say it together". Then they both say at the same time "we're getting a turtle".

The scene is set up to make you think they are going to say something like coitus, engaged, or something along those lines. But that is just good comedy. :cool:

Squealed out loud... Omg so freakng cute thank you Dana