The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

Yes Amy was on cold open helping Sheldon with flowers for his mom

Thank-you. Sounds like a sweet little scene.

Yes.  Amy isn't acting scared or wanting to slow things down.  In fact, when they stopped kissing, they were both really happy before the conversation went sour.    With it being their 5 year anniversary, and Sheldon completely disregarding it, you can see where Amy could have hopeless feelings, despite all of the positive steps taken this season.  Plus, the writers needed a cliffhanger, and I think they will use this to push Sheldon to work for this relationship. 

My question would be - did Sheldon have the ring with him when Shamy were on their 5th anniversary date night? - if so maybe he had been planning to cap off the night with a proposal before Amy put on the brakes, I don't think Sheldon was disregarding Amy, if anything the ring showed he wanted to make their relationship permanent - he just wanted to watch The Flash :)

• Like 1

Yes.  Amy isn't acting scared or wanting to slow things down.  In fact, when they stopped kissing, they were both really happy before the conversation went sour.    With it being their 5 year anniversary, and Sheldon completely disregarding it, you can see where Amy could have hopeless feelings, despite all of the positive steps taken this season.  Plus, the writers needed a cliffhanger, and I think they will use this to push Sheldon to work for this relationship. 

I think it's Amy who needs to work on this relationship right now, tbh.

I can see the silver lining in the fact that I have been fed up for a while of Sheldon always being the one messing things up and needing to apologize to Amy. I kind of feel like it's Amy's turn to apologize for overreacting, especially when he has clearly been making himself so vulnerable to her this season and he must be confused as heck right now. My heart just breaks for him sitting there with that ring, wondering what he did wrong, after he has been trying so hard and he has been opening up so much to her.

• Like 7

Happy for the make out session and the engagement ring, but for the break, or the time to think or whatever you call this.

Maybe Amy and Shamy needed that time, and I could have understood if it happened during Sheldon's train trip, or just after he came back. But at the end of such a wonderful season, it just doesn't make sense.

I'm not worried about season 9, they are going ti fix things up in the early episodes, probably in episode 1, but anyway, what a bad timing for Amy's reaction.

• Like 2

The problem is that you can't have your characters just have words come out of their mouth that totally contradict their actions and cumulative attitude over the course of one year and expect people to buy it. I am sorry, but I do *not* buy that the relationship has been taking its toll on Amy. Not this season. She has been on cloud 11 all season long, Sheldon has made leaps and bounds of progress, if they had any *minor* spat, they solved it with great and immediate communication. And now, suddenly, their relationship has been too difficult? After five years and when they're at their absolute best? When they're finally getting closer than ever, both physically and emotionally? This is bad writing, pure and simple. Just as bad as pulling out Leonard cheating on Penny two years prior because you can't use the material you already laid out on the table during the season to create some compelling drama (i.e. about the conflict over money and her acting career).

Sheldon was not ignoring her! He was making out with her and going for more. I have yet to read the full report, but I kind of get the feeling that he was planning to keep going and maybe even propose to her that night? And yet, the Amy who "of course understands" when he runs off with a panic attack over seeing her in her prom dress, suddenly throws a hissy fit over one sentence about a tv show? Like... seriously, this is SHELDON, apparently sticking his tongue down her throat and you have DOUBTS about whether he's really that into you??? Who is this pod person and where is AFF? How on Earth can AFF think that *that* is not Sheldon being into her? Maybe some regular girl might not get it, but I thought the point of the Amy character was that she *gets* Sheldon and reads between the lines. And I don't think there was a lot of reading between the lines to be done here, to be honest, when, again, he is sticking his tongue down your throat.

I agree.

On a lighter note, is no one gonna talk about how The Flash has been on air since last autumn and Sheldon is only just now wondering if he should start watching it? OOC Sheldon is OOC. :p

• Like 2

The way the makeout has been described it doesn't seem like he was ignoring her at all.

Not sure how it's been described, but he spent every word talking about whether or not he should watch The Flash. Kinda can see why a girl might find that insulting.

• Like 4

I just want to to point out there's a huge difference between breaking up and taking a break to reevaluate things. She didn't actually break up with them. I think emotions are just really high with these two. And maybe especially Amy because she's ridden passenger seat this whole relationship. She hasn't had much say in how fast they're going. And to hear Sheldon say their speed is fine must be a bit frustrating when she wants to continue to move forward. Not sex per se.

She may not be 100% justified. But people's feelings sometimes aren't. I think it's refreshing that theres this role reversal happening.

Exactly. Girl finally said, "Hey, I'm having a hard time. I need to do me." Halleluj.

• Like 7

I just want to to point out there's a huge difference between breaking up and taking a break to reevaluate things. She didn't actually break up with them. I think emotions are just really high with these two. And maybe especially Amy because she's ridden passenger seat this whole relationship. She hasn't had much say in how fast they're going. And to hear Sheldon say their speed is fine must be a bit frustrating when she wants to continue to move forward. Not sex per se.

She may not be 100% justified. But people's feelings sometimes aren't. I think it's refreshing that theres this role reversal happening.

See now, this I can buy.  And again, I am all for a role reverse, but I just didn't buy how it came about.  But I can definitely see it just as emotions running high and getting away from you and you snap.

• Like 4

Currently imagining Penny flip out to the extreme when she finds out about a Shamy engagement (before or after). LOL.

• Like 2

Oh, I totally agree with this. Like I said, my main issue with this plot is the timing of it. If this had come in the S8 premiere, I would have been fist pumping into the air and go "go girl!". I don't blame Amy for having some issues with some aspects of their relationship, especially because she's been the one putting her needs on the backburner for Sheldon's sake for so long. But the problem here is that they have been moving incredibly fast this season, so her sudden outburst makes no sense to me. Especially while they're making out! It just blows my mind that a year ago he left her on a train without saying goodbye and she was all fine and dandy with it and after a year of progress where they are all lovey-dovey, getting turtles, having sleepovers and making out on the couch she suddenly can't take it anymore. You see what I mean? 

On the other hand, I've been saying that I feel like the episode is written as to portray a giant misunderstanding between the two. Amy thinks he's not paying attention to her (for whatever reason), and Sheldon on the other hand seems to (correct me if I'm wrong) have planned to almost consummate their relationship and propose to her on their anniversary? In that sense, it's interesting because I have been wanting for a while to have an episode where Amy upsets Sheldon, rather than the other way around, and has to make amends once she realizes how stupid she's been. And this kind of sets that up nicely. 

However, I do still think that the timing is completely absurd and unnecessary at this point (again, why not do this in S6 instead of D&D or in S8 premiere instead of "oh, you didn't want to look like a failure? ok you're forgiven!"?) I had the same feeling about the D&D episode as I have about this one to be honest, so it's nothing to do with whether the episode is "good" or "bad" to me, but rather whether it makes sense given what came before. D&D came out of nowhere to me, just like this episode did. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 7

Currently imagining Penny flip out to the extreme when she finds out about a Shamy engagement (before or after). LOL.

Like her reaction to Sheldon saying he "hasn't ruled it out" but multiplied by like 9000

• Like 2

On a lighter note, is no one gonna talk about how The Flash has been on air since last autumn and Sheldon is only just now wondering if he should start watching it? OOC Sheldon is OOC. :p

There were several Big Bang Theory references in the Flash premier episode, so I've been waiting for a return reference from TBBT - what a time for it.

• Like 2

There were several Big Bang Theory references in the Flash premier episode, so I've been waiting for a return reference from TBBT - what a time for it.

Yeah I actually tweeted Bill a few weeks back about how Cisco keeps wearing Big Bang shirts so I want The Flash to be mentionned on Big Bang so I guess I got what I asked for??? LMAO

Yeah. He was in his spot. She was right next to him

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 3

Yeah. He was in his spot. She was right next to her.

He was in his spot mostly, but I think they were more toward the middle, as though they had been in there respective places but ended up merging.   HOO! 

• Like 7

He was in his spot mostly, but I think they were more toward the middle, as though they had been in there respective places but ended up merging. HOO!

Oh you're right! It was so crazy. I wish I could remember it better haha.

• Like 1

Were their hands moving at all during the kiss? Not that it's that important, because finally we get Amy participating in a kiss, with her hands on his shoulders and actual lip movement. I may really die, and then I won't have to see their sad "taking a break" scene, lol.

• Like 4