The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

It's so weird because I remember having a similar discussion about "what Sheldon wants" last year right before S8 started. It was in reference to that article where Molaro said that not only would Sheldon start accepting change and intimacy with Amy, he would actually WANT them, too. I feel like this is the big issue in this storyline, and really, the final "roadblock" Shamy has as a couple. As soon as the taping ended, I turned to Maria and said, "sh*t just got real," because that's exactly how it felt. Before this taping I never felt like sex was about to come soon, moving in, marriage, or anything like that. It seemed too far away still, like they're nowhere ready, and they haven't reached that level of love and intimacy yet. And I've never seen such emotion between these two characters. What's so beautiful about the tag scene is that you feel so powerfully how much these two truly love each other. And it's all in the subtext.

And what I love about this storyline is that neither of them are really in the wrong. Both sides are understandable. It's hard to see that when Sheldon has made so much progress this year, not only with Amy but with everyone else. His maturity is 100 times what it was last year. He told her he loves her, and that came all on his own. He still needs a little pushing and shoving, sure, but I think he's been written so wonderfully well this season to show us that he's been maturing but at the same time not breaking character. I don't think anyone, including Amy, denies that he's head over heels for her. Just look at the beginning scene of Colonization.

But I think Amy's main concern is that, "does he desire me or is he pacifying me?" Is he doing all this stuff merely because he knows it's what I want, or does he want it, too? Everyone knows Sheldon wants it, too, but hasn't fully come to terms with it. And Sheldon made one silly comment as they came up for air while making out, but you can see how it would let the air out of Amy's tires a little bit. A lot of people are having trouble seeing Amy's side, or at least the timing of it, and I get that. But when I was watching the scene, and the lights were kinda dimmed, and it was so passionate (I really did think it was a dream sequence), and her line about her anniversary was so romantic, all of a sudden this dream-like state was broken by Sheldon's "should I start watching the Flash?" And I think that's what it felt like to Amy. And I don't think it was just this one silly comment that set her off. I think it was just months of feeling insecure and feeling these intense emotions, and knowing he loves her and getting so caught up in how serious things are getting, that one tiny thing kind of unravels her. And the best part of it, in my opinion, is that it's not completely rational! I completely understand where she's coming from, and that's because where she's coming from isn't completely justified.

I liked Koops's anaology of moving the goal posts for Sheldon. Every time he reaches a milestone, the next goal is moved without any time for him to breathe. I do think Amy appreciates how far he's come this season. We've seen her so happy so many times this season. Interruption, First Pitch, Prom, Christmas episode, Colonization, Fortification. But has been a major discussion, she is not perfect. She is extremely flawed, as is he. Saying things like "all I can get out of you is a distracted makeout session" is not right, but hey, those were her feelings in that moment. I don't think she's clamoring to get him into bed. I think she perfectly understands and respects that he's not ready. I don't think it's about sex at all. I just think she wants to feel closer with him, everyday, more and more, in whatever way that entails. Maybe she's asking too much.

But I think if he had just given her a tiny glimpse into where his head is at - and after that tag we know exactly where it is - and had been honest and said that he does want her, and all these  things will happen, that she'd be perfectly okay. It's just that they're stuck in a misunderstanding right now. That's all it is. I don't think anyone here seriously thinks Shamy is over or that they're doomed or they just want different things. Sheldon wants everything she does. She just doesn't know that. And he doesn't know she doesn't know that (I mean, he was making out with her, get a clue, Amy :p JK). But she will find out. He will make sure of it.

Okay, that was my attempt to explain some of my thoughts on the finale. I am still freaking out. There are so many little things I love about it. :D And not just the makeout and ring reveal. :p

i actually like this but i ran out of likes so i'm just gonna say it out loud. LOL. wow, it's been a while since i've last ran out of likes on this site. :p

i'm just so happy that since the last taping, i get to wake up everyday knowing that (1) my babies made out (2) they really made out (3) they really really made out (4) GODDAMIT THEY MADE OUT! and as if that wasn't enough, Sheldon pulls out a box with an engagement ring in it. HE WANTS TO MARRY HER!!! he wants to have her babies, people!!! they've come so far yet they still have a long way to go. if Amy wanting break is the only way for Sheldon to finally wake up and realize how much Amy means to him, then by all means, take all the time you need, girl. we want Sheldon to give himself to this relationship - just like the psychic said. it's high time he does his part, take the wheel and drive this relationship forward. 

and let me just say, for me, Amy is the most kind, most generous, most patient, most selfless person i have ever known (next to my father :)). she has soooo much love to give, it's literally pouring. if only Sheldon would let his guard down and let her in. poor guy has no idea what he's missing. that's what i hope for him to realize in season 9. Amy deserves to be loved by Sheldon the way she loves him, and I know that Sheldon is capable of doing that and so much more. He just has to learn how to let it out and just surrender to her. 

• Like 8

Ok, this is getting crazy!!!! :airkiss:

Anyone else?

Me too. I thought it was four of us (all Shamies may I add) but it turns out we are more!!

eta: I didn't know what episode was on and I caught it right on time for the ILY!!!

Edited by Cecilia
  • Like 1

I have calmed down with my initial confusion over this episode.... I haven't calmed down with possibly getting overexcited at the kissing and being an emotional wreck on seeing the tag scene

• Like 3

3.5 days after the report. I'm still confused. I still think it's completely illogical. Arguments in favor of Amy are still a bunch of nonsense in my opinion.

I'm afraid I'm going to be really mad when I watch the episode. Almost as mad as I was when I saw the Table Polarization, one of the worst episode ever.

Yeah. They did do the tag in one take. We honestly didn't know how, haha. I suppose it's possible that it was already taped and they just did it again for the audience. But I'm not sure. The Lenny driving scene was definitely redone for us. But all the emotions were definitely on point, so maybe they felt it wouldn't ever be better than that, so a second take wasn't needed? The screaming after the Gollum line was long, though. Like 15 seconds. But meanwhile he was opening the drawer and opening the ring box, so I think it all flowed naturally.

• Like 5

No, during the final scene when Shamy were on Skype, they were completely alone. Lenny had already left to drive to Vegas. But earlier when Lenny were in the apartment talking about wedding plans, Sheldon was seen on his phone or on his computer.

• Like 3

No, during the final scene when Shamy were on Skype, they were completely alone. Lenny had already left to drive to Vegas. But earlier when Lenny were in the apartment talking about wedding plans, Sheldon was seen on his phone or on his computer.

Gotcha!

• Like 1

Gotcha!

Yeh.. In the Lenny / Sheldon scenes.. Sheldon is constantly on his computer or checking his phone.. hoping to hear from Amy.

• Like 8

Yeh.. In the Lenny / Sheldon scenes.. Sheldon is constantly on his computer or checking his phone.. hoping to hear from Amy.

Kind of like on isolation when Leonard is "riding" the horse and Sheldon is on his laptop doing the sane thing?

• Like 2

Kind of like on isolation when Leonard is "riding" the horse and Sheldon is on his laptop doing the sane thing?

Yep!

He even says "I haven't heard from Amy in 24 hours"

Its so precious.

• Like 7

Yep!

Its so precious.

That makes it sound like he's never gone longer than 24 hours without communicating with her since he's met her. Does that mean he stayed in contact with her while he was on his train trip last summer?

• Like 4

Yep!

Its so precious.

H e l p

That scene in isolation is one of my favs and now this seems like its going to better it....this ship

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 3

I just want to know why Steve is referring to what happened between Sheldon and Amy as "life-changing and series-changing"? In what way is taking a little time apart (if that's all it truly is) life-changing? Or is he just desperately trying to create hype? I worry that this is a bigger deal than we're thinking given how Steve is choosing to describe it...anyone else?

I just want to know why Steve is referring to what happened between Sheldon and Amy as "life-changing and series-changing"? In what way is taking a little time apart (if that's all it truly is) life-changing? Or is he just desperately trying to create hype? I worry that this is a bigger deal than we're thinking given how Steve is choosing to describe it...anyone else?

I'm pretty sure he was referring more to the possible engagement rather than the break

Its all for drama!

It wouldn't surprise me if this time next season we are left waiting between seasons for Amy to say yes to a proposal

It's so weird because I remember having a similar discussion about "what Sheldon wants" last year right before S8 started. It was in reference to that article where Molaro said that not only would Sheldon start accepting change and intimacy with Amy, he would actually WANT them, too. I feel like this is the big issue in this storyline, and really, the final "roadblock" Shamy has as a couple. As soon as the taping ended, I turned to Maria and said, "sh*t just got real," because that's exactly how it felt. Before this taping I never felt like sex was about to come soon, moving in, marriage, or anything like that. It seemed too far away still, like they're nowhere ready, and they haven't reached that level of love and intimacy yet. And I've never seen such emotion between these two characters. What's so beautiful about the tag scene is that you feel so powerfully how much these two truly love each other. And it's all in the subtext.

And what I love about this storyline is that neither of them are really in the wrong. Both sides are understandable. It's hard to see that when Sheldon has made so much progress this year, not only with Amy but with everyone else. His maturity is 100 times what it was last year. He told her he loves her, and that came all on his own. He still needs a little pushing and shoving, sure, but I think he's been written so wonderfully well this season to show us that he's been maturing but at the same time not breaking character. I don't think anyone, including Amy, denies that he's head over heels for her. Just look at the beginning scene of Colonization.

But I think Amy's main concern is that, "does he desire me or is he pacifying me?" Is he doing all this stuff merely because he knows it's what I want, or does he want it, too? Everyone knows Sheldon wants it, too, but hasn't fully come to terms with it. And Sheldon made one silly comment as they came up for air while making out, but you can see how it would let the air out of Amy's tires a little bit. A lot of people are having trouble seeing Amy's side, or at least the timing of it, and I get that. But when I was watching the scene, and the lights were kinda dimmed, and it was so passionate (I really did think it was a dream sequence), and her line about her anniversary was so romantic, all of a sudden this dream-like state was broken by Sheldon's "should I start watching the Flash?" And I think that's what it felt like to Amy. And I don't think it was just this one silly comment that set her off. I think it was just months of feeling insecure and feeling these intense emotions, and knowing he loves her and getting so caught up in how serious things are getting, that one tiny thing kind of unravels her. And the best part of it, in my opinion, is that it's not completely rational! I completely understand where she's coming from, and that's because where she's coming from isn't completely justified.

I liked Koops's anaology of moving the goal posts for Sheldon. Every time he reaches a milestone, the next goal is moved without any time for him to breathe. I do think Amy appreciates how far he's come this season. We've seen her so happy so many times this season. Interruption, First Pitch, Prom, Christmas episode, Colonization, Fortification. But has been a major discussion, she is not perfect. She is extremely flawed, as is he. Saying things like "all I can get out of you is a distracted makeout session" is not right, but hey, those were her feelings in that moment. I don't think she's clamoring to get him into bed. I think she perfectly understands and respects that he's not ready. I don't think it's about sex at all. I just think she wants to feel closer with him, everyday, more and more, in whatever way that entails. Maybe she's asking too much.

But I think if he had just given her a tiny glimpse into where his head is at - and after that tag we know exactly where it is - and had been honest and said that he does want her, and all these things will happen, that she'd be perfectly okay. It's just that they're stuck in a misunderstanding right now. That's all it is. I don't think anyone here seriously thinks Shamy is over or that they're doomed or they just want different things. Sheldon wants everything she does. She just doesn't know that. And he doesn't know she doesn't know that (I mean, he was making out with her, get a clue, Amy :p JK). But she will find out. He will make sure of it.

Okay, that was my attempt to explain some of my thoughts on the finale. I am still freaking out. There are so many little things I love about it. :D And not just the makeout and ring reveal. :p

This is such a wonderful analysis Maddie. I really can't wait to see it.

• Like 3

Maybe.. Maybe.. They didn't tape a scene and they're gonna do something big!

jk. I think that they're just trying to hype us up.

• Like 1

Maybe.. Maybe.. They didn't tape a scene and they're gonna do something big!

jk. I think that they're just trying to hype us up.

Likely it is just trying to hype people up. But I do wonder what the tag scene is.  

Likely it is just trying to hype people up. But I do wonder what the tag scene is.  

I thought the Skype scene is the tag scene.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 1