The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

@Lio sorry I just saw you asked about what part bugged me. It was the "all I've got" part cause I think it's unfair to Sheldon. I just used the distracted part to identify the line sorry for the confusion. You know I don't mind that Amy said something I didn't like or I didn't agree with it's that I am kind of worried that sometimes it looks like Amy is right by default (not sure if I used that phrase correctly but I'll take the risk :p ).

Can't read now all the comments you guys wrote bug I will definitely come back to check the out.

• Like 5

I've seen the rest of the promo pictures. Penny is wearing the same top as she was when she got engaged. Leonard is wearing the same pants and, more or less, same jacket as he did when he proposed to Penny and she said yes. TBBT has this sort of clothing 'tradition' like in the 100th episode where Penny wore the same top she had when she first moved in and Leonard saw her. Probable indicator of him falling in love with the same girl after 100 episodes.

I wish they'll do the same clothing 'tradition' to Sheldon and Amy as well. I hope that dress, sport shirt and pants will mean some 'mark' in the relationship that is Shamy, starting from season 9 and beyond.

Edited by Chelle
  • Like 1

LOL I had the totally the opposite reaction about Amy's dress. I was like 'WTF is that???". LOL! But I oh, so love her hideous dresses and terrible fashion sense. I like that even though they dress her pretty well for some special occasions (Romance Resonance, Vday last year, Prom), she also has her moments of "I found this in my grandma's closet" like here, or in Thanksgiving, or when she comes out of the dressing room in Septum. To me that is so quintessentially Amy!

Also, just in case people have missed out the HQ version which I've been staring at for the past hour? *heart eyes*

0001.jpg

• Like 8

LOL I had the totally the opposite reaction about Amy's dress. I was like 'WTF is that???". LOL! But I oh, so love her hideous dresses and terrible fashion sense. I like that even though they dress her pretty well for some special occasions (Romance Resonance, Vday last year, Prom), she also has her moments of "I found this in my grandma's closet" like here, or in Thanksgiving, or when she comes out of the dressing room in Septum. To me that is so quintessentially Amy!

Also, just in case people have missed out the HQ version which I've been staring at for the past hour? *heart eyes*

0001.jpg

Jeebus, koops, just as I was getting on with my day.....

Oh I do so love to hate Amy's clothes. And God bless the show for not making her over.

Even now, as I was poised to go off on a rant about the gender politics of TBBT, I looked at this picture and, after about an hour of uteral maelstrom, I said 'No, you know what? I am not going to question the feminist credentials of this show too hard. Amy is a bright, accomplished woman, with flaws and virtues and sexual agency. And at no time has the show ever, ever implied that she needs to gussy herself up, cantilever her bosom, whip off her glasses or shake a leg, for her lanky, blue-eyed boyfriend to find her desirable.'

(pets show)

• Like 7

0001.jpg

Oh god I've just stopped zooming now it is starting all over again.

And yes amy this is how you should treat that beautiful lower lip!

• Like 2

Why is it,that the reflection of Sheldon's hand in the glass table, has a ring on his ring finger? lol.................ok call the men in white coats.,.I've lost it. lol

Foreshadowing lol

Edited by Kazziedal
  • Like 3

Why is it,that the reflection of Sheldon's hand in the glass table, has a ring on his ring finger? lol.................ok call the men in white coats.,.I've lost it. lol

Foreshadowing lol

I saw that too but didn't want to admit it for the sake of my mental health :p Edited by puremorning
  • Like 3

So Sheldon probably wasn't exaggerating too much about their Tijuana sex show

Lio's answer to all:

giphy.gif

*sigh* Alright, I'm taking a deep breath as I basically take a sharp left turn in disagreement from all my besties, but here goes:

I am not bothered by this. (Trademark: phantagrae. Copyright paid in candy.) In fact, the more I think about it, the more it makes perfect sense to me given the evidence we've seen on screen and trajectory of Sheldon and Amy's storyline this season.

Where to start. Well, I'm going to start with one of the lines which I know has really upset a lot of people, and that's Amy's line which goes something like: Do you think it's funny that you have a pace of the snail when you hero is the fastest man on earth? It's been 5 years and all I've gotten is one distracted make out session on the couch.

I know that a lot of people are chafing at the idea that this line seems to dismiss all of the huge steps both emotional and physical that Sheldon has made over the years for Amy and for their relationship. And that it's upsetting that Amy seems to dismiss all of those steps forward that Sheldon has made and pin it all down to the physical. That all she wants from him is sex, or that she's making it all about sex. While I understand that, I think that the line was very deliberately inserted to inform the audience that what we just saw in the cold open was well and truly Sheldon and Amy's first real make out session. A few posts back, phanta commented on the fact that the one date night kiss we have ever seen was a very "chaste" kiss, and I think that's a fairly good description of it. We were given the information at that point that, after the Valentine's Day train kiss, in which Sheldon found out kissing Amy was a lot more magical than he thought it would be, they talked about it and decided to add these fairly chaste kisses to the end of their date nights. We were told that now this happens as agreed by the RA after date nights, and shown what the kisses looked like - sweet and sincere but also fairly gentle and chaste.

In truth, We have never been shown another kiss since then, and while I think sometimes the fandom has run away with the idea that they might be kissing a lot more often here and there, I think that kisses are primarily kept to date nights and that they have not progressed much from what we saw from the first one. There's really no evidence to suggest otherwise, and since Amy says that that make out session on the couch was "all she's gotten in 5 years," I think this is the writers being very clear: this was their first really intense make out session. TPTB are being clear here: no, fandom, you have not been missing any hot Shamy make out sessions off-screen or anything, we have not been forsaking you, this was really the first time they started getting hot and heavy like this, and you get to see it on-screen.

I think this is very important information, and I think that this information makes the actions and perspectives of both characters make perfect sense, and goes along with everything we have seen them go through this season. It makes sense that Amy was so elated and hence vulnerable to being hurt, and it makes sense that Sheldon was getting so intense because as the reveal of the ring let us know, he's changed, he's made up his mind.

As I said before, two seasons ago we ended with Amy screwing up her courage to tell Sheldon she wanted more physical intimacy in their relationship, to which he told her "maybe" and then decided to test the waters of sex theoretically by consummating their relationship with dice during a game of D&D. A year later, when Amy awkwardly and hopefully pushes on the issue of them living together, he snaps and tells her that that's screwball talk, and next she'll want marriage, kids, and to settle down in a little house together, and all of that is even worse! And then he leaps on a train and skips town over almost 2 months. (And all during that time, Amy never cries, never nags him to come home, never puts pressure on him to come back - she stays calm, supportive, understanding, and waits it out like a saint.) So we know, absolutely, that at that time Sheldon was still struggling with all of the changes happening in his life - his career, the loss of Leonard, his growing attraction to Amy and interest in kissing her, despite his earlier objections to the idea of being intimate with anyone, ever, and the loss of the poor comic book store. That's where he was at a year ago.

Well, this season, Sheldon first put his career back into line somehow by skipping to dark matter and then getting involved with Leonard's paper, he and Leonard have had their mutual crying session over their impending break up, the comic book store has been rebuilt, and Sheldon and Amy have proclaimed their love to each other. Sheldon's grown and become more relaxed and happy, and then we've had two really important Shamy episodes and this is what we got from them:

Amy's fan fic episode - This is the episode where it was really driven home how much Amy desires Sheldon to acknowledge that she's part of his future, and just how scared and vulnerable and hopeful she is about him being willing to be her partner in that. Her embarrassment over them finding the fan fiction in the first place, and then the way she wrote her own character and the story - about her heart beating and wanting to ask him if he felt the same way, but being too scared to ask. Her devastation he was leaving for the future and her own inability to show her true feelings and beg him to stay, and her elation when he comes back and touches her shoulder and tells her that there's no future without her. A great deal of that episode displayed just how vulnerable her love for Sheldon makes her feel, and how much she loves and wants her future to be with him, but that she's scared to ask him directly and how much she wants to hear him say he wants her after he's come to the conclusion on his own. Precisely as he did with the "I love you too," which knocked her off her feet. But Amy wants it to involuntarily come from him, not push for it.

The turtle episode - The future was, once again, the issue at hand over the turtle and Sheldon's application to Mars. Getting the turtle together showed Sheldon's willingness to commit to taking care of another creature with her, and she was so high on that that when she found out about his Mars application, she was deeply upset. Again, it was Sheldon planning a part of his future away from her and without her, and she barely knew how to express herself, and how upset she was, and stormed off and ended up yelling at him. But it was the first time that Sheldon got started thinking about planning his future with her, and the thought dawned on him that if he was going to go somewhere, and especially if he might die, he wanted her by his side.

Meanwhile, Leonard's confrontation about the fact that he wasn't living with the woman he loved just for Sheldon really knocked Sheldon for a loop. As selfish as Sheldon is about things, he's not so selfish that he wants to be the one thing standing in the way of Leonard and Penny's happiness; he loves them and he does want them to be happy. He seemed devastated to think that he was the only thing holding them back, and he started to cry then thinking about his life without Leonard in it, or without Leonard as his roommate, but at least he started thinking about it - life after Leonard moved out. He's refused to really consider the possibility before, but Sheldon hit up against a level of selfishness even he can't reach - preventing Leonard's happiness with the love of his life. And so, finally, Sheldon had to start thinking about life after Leonard and what that would look like.

And then there was the "I love you" and the sleepover and the 8.2, and Sheldon growing happier and more relaxed and confident about his relationship all the time. Continuing going on date nights, continuing to give Amy kisses at the end of those evenings. Making his slow steps forward and turning all of these things over in his mind until he made his decision. THE decision.

The decision to marry Amy. We saw the ring, now we know, everything this season - and perhaps since the physic hit him up about "giving himself" to Amy and his life falling in line, which pissed him off so much - has been about everything that Sheldon needed to process in order to flip his switch from two years or more of "maybe" to "yes."

As Koops has pointed out, Amy often thinks "this is awesome!" and is ready to dive right into things head first. Sheldon is the opposite, he needs to turn things over in his mind over and over, and for a long time, before he is ready. Another area where they are opposite is that Amy has always wanted to have friends, belong, have a boyfriend, and etc, while Sheldon has never (supposedly) cared much about having friends or what the rest of the world found normal or not. (Which is debatable, considering his comments to Proton about having no friends growing up except the Professor, or his comment to Howard about having no friends to help him with his father's death, while Howard has them to help with the death of his Mom.) But as we saw in her fan fiction, as we saw in the D&D episode when Amy cried and hung out in Sheldon's room, and needed all her courage to tell him she wanted more, romantically, Amy is very vulnerable to rejection and despite all of her sass and spunk and pure faith in people, she can be incredibly hurt when her heart is on the line. (Like she was very hurt and felt foolish when Penny and Bernadette went shopping without her.) I don't agree that the Show doesn't acknowledge she's being unreasonable; it just is what it is. She feels a certain way and acts out of that. Here she felt upset that Sheldon didn't seem as over the moon about their romance as she was; he didn't even stay anywhere remotely near that topic. Maybe a more experienced or less vulnerable person could have handled it better, but we all know Amy isn't. And as many others have pointed out on this thread, despite their experience, if they got the thing about the TV show at that moment, it would have hurt their confidence. It would have hurt me, I completely understand why Amy was so upset, and I don't think she was unreasonable. She lashed out, sure, but from a feeling and emotional place I understand.

As my friend Nutmeg pointed out once a long time ago, Sheldon takes forever to make up his mind, but once he does, he's a man of action. When Stuart almost stole Amy from him, Sheldon made up his mind and hunted her down in the movie theater to ask her out right then and there. Once Sheldon makes up his mind, he doesn't hesitate. HE KNOWS HOW HE FEELS. (Oh, and by the way, the show took a little stop along the way this season to make it clear once and for all that Sheldon does NOT love Penny, and never will, as more than a sister. Thanks show, you got that out of the way too. It's Amy, and all Amy.)

The engagement ring and Sheldon fully making out with Amy on the couch is no different to me. We know that Sheldon must have bought that ring sometime between the turtle episode and this episode, but before they were making out on the couch for their anniversary. The moment Sheldon decided that he wanted to marry Amy, and that yes, his future was with her and that yes, she was the one and his future was with her, and he was 100% sure, he bought that ring. AND - this is most important - his kisses changed. Everything this season has been about leading Sheldon to consider his future and the fact he loves Amy - and he got there. He bought the ring. He made up his mind, and as usual, once he did, he's a man of action and his entire body language and action with actually making out with Amy on the couch reflected the new level that he's on now.

Everything follows his decision - Sheldon has flipped from "It's a possibility" or "I have not ruled it out" to "I'm making the possibility reality," and "I have ruled it in." His mind is made up, and what follows is his usual taking action - he bought a ring. He's kissing her deeply and romantically and doesn't want to stop. And I can even see why The Flash and superheros were on his mind during this kiss - Sheldon must have felt like one! For a man who never wanted to be intimately involved with anyone, ever, to meet the girl of his dreams and fall in love with her and decide he wants to marry her in "only" 5 years must seem like a speeding train, and to be there on the couch kisses her like that and feeling so high on life might have made him wonder if this is what superheros felt like, on top of the world, on top of life. And maybe that's what segue wayed his thinking into starting to follow the Flash TV show - I don't know - but it's possible.

But for Sheldon to reach the point he's at makes perfect sense and could NOT have happened at the start of this season. And for Amy to be vulnerable and go from Cloud 9, and thinking this is finally happening to stunned shock that he's asking her about starting to watch one of his "cheap science fiction" TV shows must have just hit her in the gut. In fact, we know it did - we see it in the way that she pauses to ask him if SHE is in his thoughts - and he gives a horrible answer - and then she gets really upset and leaves. And is it not a good thing for Amy, in many ways, that she needs to lose her rose-tinted glasses in regards to Sheldon and see him as he really is? Is it not gut-wrenching to see her finally lose faith and hope that he has sexual feelings for her (I'm always hoping, she said in prom) after so long when he's finally, finally gotten around to where she's hoped he'll come for so long?

It's killing me! It's an even race - her patience vs his pace - bam, one finally gets there but just as the other gives out. Ain't these two a pair?

And so....that is why I don't think all of this could have happened at the beginning of the season. And that's why I think it's on target for everything that has happened between this couple. And I think it's devastating that they have come to this spot, but I have always felt that this is where they were headed at some point. Sheldon FINALLY ready and Amy FINALLY disillusioned after all her hopeful, patient and understanding waiting.

Sure we're at a crossroads, but no one out there can possibly think this is over, right? Sheldon is on "yes," and he's our hero and man of action. I guess that the fandom will need to have faith in Sheldon, and root for him to go get our girl while Amy is having doubts. What a summer it'll be, but until then, I remain Team Shamy!

(And wait for my friends to counter-argue. But this is my kitchen; I can stand the heat. Bring it, kittens!)

You're welcome, hope this rant makes you feel even more better. And ovaries ahoy - that cracked me up. :) I had forgotten about that.

As Bette said above: AMEN!

So much yes

• Like 1

I love all the debating that's going on and I can pretty much see all points. I can't wait for all of us to see the episode.

Oh and I also liked the S7 finale :p

• Like 5

I'd hate to rain on anyone's parade here but that "ring" on Sheldon's finger is one of the flowers on Amy's dress that's visible through the glass table *runs as stones are thrown at her*. :fi_lone_ranger: :fi_lone_ranger: :fi_lone_ranger:

• Like 3

I'd hate to rain on anyone's parade here but that "ring" on Sheldon's finger is one of the flowers on Amy's dress that's visible through the glass table *runs as stones are thrown at her*. :fi_lone_ranger: :fi_lone_ranger: :fi_lone_ranger:

Oh i know, Just thought it was funny that it reflected right onto his hand lol......combination of no glasses and wishful thinking. 

• Like 1

Lio's answer to all:

giphy.gif

BTW, Lio, I forgot to say: Bette Davis in All About Eve is the answer to everything.

'Fasten your seatbelts..... it's going to be a bumpy hiatus.'

Edited by wowbagger

I'm so in love with my wallpaper - the incredible Shamy make out!

I like how vulnerable Sheldon looks at this photo. Rather than make out on his "home court advantage" - his spot on the couch - he'd rather close in on Amy wherever on the couch she might be. He's ready to embrace the chaos, just like how he was when Penny sat on his spot and didn't mind it in like in The Werewolf Transformation, whatever it may be... including a big step in his relationship with Amy.Oh my heart! These two brunettes rock!

Sheldon's right arm is inside Amy's left arm. Amy's body language is "come closer" and Sheldon obliges. In a way his right arm is brushing against Amy's left "second base", which somehow hints how he thinks of physical intimacy -  "I don't care; I just want to kiss you".

Edited by Chelle
  • Like 4

It's shit like this that makes me want to pull my hair out and scream!

PLEASE DON'T FREAK OVER THIS!!

It's just a viewer ship grabber to get more people to watch. TPTB know Shamy are extremely popular (as well as Lenny). They are NOT going to break them up for good. It's too much of a cash cow!

(But I bet the Shenny's will get their hopes up....despite what they were told in The Intimacy Acceleration).

• Like 4

WHAT

THE

FUCK?

rfihrouhrjierfijp0erfjvjerjvierp0vrjver

• Like 3