The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

Ok, I fell off the spoiler free wagon with Amanda :icon_redface: . This is the last time that I try to be unspoiled, obviously, that's not something in my competences lol. 

I missed your posts guys. I read the 68 pages and you're all great. It's always a pleasure to read you. Your posts help me to appreciate things that I didn't appreciate at first. So, thank you!

Oh and hahaha I can't wait to see Amy and her starfish LMAO. 
  • Like 9

Soooooo. I predict in the next episode we'll find out that Amy's father is a dentist and he's available to do Sheldon's teeth after he bites the last one too many times. Amy's father uses Sheldon's time under the bright lights of the dentist chair, and with threatening looking vicious tools, to literally pry information out of Sheldon's mouth regarding his intentions with Amy.

It could happen!

Oh God, Marathon Man flashbacks! (shudders)

So, while I agree with Lio that the narrative nonexistence of Amy's father is likely due to negligence rather than intention, something I find so interesting is that, consciously or subconsciously, the writers have had Amy's family background more closely mirror the boys' (apart from Raj) than the girls'. Penny and Bernadette have strong father figures (Bernie's mentioned her mother, but in-show I get the impression that she, like Penny, is Daddy's Girl), whereas Sheldon, Howard and Leonard's dominant caregiver/shaper is the mother. And by not even mentioning Amy's father, her isolation is amplified.

All of this is to say that Amy's dad may well show up at some point, and either threaten Sheldon or fall violently in (paternal) love with him (to Amy's annoyance?), Either or neither could happen. But until it does Amy's fatherlessness is an (inadvertent, possibly) indicator of her square-pegness, and one I find interesting.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 3

Frankly, I hope that if they do bring a father up for Amy it's not going to be in the form of the cliche scenario of "What are your intentions towards my daughter?". I just find the whole idea of the protective father over the female child very unappealing but, more importantly, something that is incredibly unimaginative. They also have already had that sort of dynamic with Howard and Mike Rostenkowski. If Sheldon were ever to meet her father, I think it would be funnier if the guys were indeed stressing Sheldon out about the "what are your intentions?" questions and then it turned out that Mr Fowler is a weirdo just like his daughter and "son-in-law". Or I would actually like to see a scenario like the one we never got to see in Weekend Vortex, where Sheldon goes to meet her whole extended family and the two of them throwing everyone off with their unusual yet solid relationship. But overall I agree with wowbagger. Amy's lack of father mentions does fit with her square-pegness (love that word!).

As for episode 3, my guess is that the main plot will be about Lenny and Penny's new job. Chuck said that there would be some impact onto the relationship from her job, and usually he spills info about the eps they've written so far. I actually don't think I'd consider either ep shot so far a couples episode, but that's fine. You don't need the ep to focus on the couples to have some insight on where they're at, necessarily. I also don't think they ever planned on the living arrangements to change any time soon, so I'm not surprised they're not bringing it up. They just planted the seeds of what's to come over the next season or two once Lenny get married, I was never under the impression they were planning on anyone moving until then.

• Like 4

Yeah I figure that it will happen nearer the wedding

I would like to see shamy having some fun together, the first two episodes don't show that yet

I would actually like to see a scenario like the one we never got to see in Weekend Vortex, where Sheldon goes to meet her whole extended family and the two of them throwing everyone off with their unusual yet solid relationship. 

I would actually like to see Sheldon and Amy meet Amy's extended clan, because I miss the Shamy-Freak-Out-The-Muggles moments. I wonder, now that Amy has learned some boundaries and filters, whether it's too late for that now. What a pity, if so. I agree with your earlier hypothesis, koops, that Amy's family is likely quite a bit like Sheldon's (unsurprisingly, perhaps, since she was designed as a female Sheldon): numerous, not that well-off, and maybe not that bright, What I can see happening is that Amy could meet a whole gaggle of mean-girl cousins or something whom she thought back in the day were her friends, but whom she now knows (because she's spent time with Penny and Bernadette and learnt some social cues) were actually massive bitches. I'd like to see her turn the tables in some way in that case- possibly with Doctor Cooper's assistance? Or-oo,oo- with Penny and Bernie's assistance? I would like that, I think.

Frankly, I hope that if they do bring a father up for Amy it's not going to be in the form of the cliche scenario of "What are your intentions towards my daughter?". I just find the whole idea of the protective father over the female child very unappealing but, more importantly, something that is incredibly unimaginative. They also have already had that sort of dynamic with Howard and Mike Rostenkowski. If Sheldon were ever to meet her father, I think it would be funnier if the guys were indeed stressing Sheldon out about the "what are your intentions?" questions and then it turned out that Mr Fowler is a weirdo just like his daughter and "son-in-law". 

Yes, they already have protective father-figures with Bernie and Penny- and explicitly a protector in Bernie's case, being a cop and all. If the father does show up, there's one possibility: that he actually has materialised after a lifetime of absence, Amy is enthralled with the idea of reconnecting with her father, Sheldon hits the jealousy button hard, and is talked down by Howard and/or proven right in his suspicions about the father. It would be sad, but there are already so many fractured families on the show, you know? 

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 2

I would actually like to see Sheldon and Amy meet Amy's extended clan, because I miss the Shamy-Freak-Out-The-Muggles moments. I wonder, now that Amy has learned some boundaries and filters, whether it's too late for that now. What a pity, if so. I agree with your earlier hypothesis, koops, that Amy's family is likely quite a bit like Sheldon's (unsurprisingly, perhaps, since she was designed as a female Sheldon): numerous, not that well-off, and maybe not that bright, What I can see happening is that Amy could meet a whole gaggle of mean-girl cousins or something whom she thought back in the day were her friends, but whom she now knows (because she's spent time with Penny and Bernadette and learnt some social cues) were actually massive bitches. I'd like to see her turn the tables in some way in that case- possibly with Doctor Cooper's assistance? Or-oo,oo- with Penny and Bernie's assistance? I would like that, I think. 

I have to admit that, like you, the main reason I'd like to see that is to have that Shamy vs the Muggles episode that we haven't seen in a long time. But if the writers decide to go there it could go either way. On the one hand, Amy is still written as a weirdo around others, especially when Sheldon isn't around (i.e. the girls "L-O-L, right?", Leonard "I think this [the two of them hanging out] is weird", Proton "I can't believe I dress like a celebrity!" or the gang "FIY, we plan on selling out the human race hard"), so in that sense I could see a return of Yoko and Yoko. On the other hand, the writers love the Sheldon-embarrasses-Amy scenarios, so they could very well go with him being a jerk and upsetting her. The latter is much lazier and easier to write, the former is more clever and takes more effort: I guess it depends on what side of the bed they wake up that morning.

Yes, they already have protective father-figures with Bernie and Penny- and explicitly a protector in Bernie's case, being a cop and all. If the father does show up, there's one possibility: that he actually has materialised after a lifetime of absence, Amy is enthralled with the idea of reconnecting with her father, Sheldon hits the jealousy button hard, and is talked down by Howard and/or proven right in his suspicions about the father. It would be sad, but there are already so many fractured families on the show, you know? 

Exactly. Last thing I want to see is yet another "father-owns/protects-daughter-from-men" scenario. The idea of Amy reconnecting with her father after a long absence would not be bad either. We keep saying that it's about damn time we get ONE episode where Sheldon is there for her when she needs him to be, to show the audience why the heck she thinks he's worth the effort and putting up with all his crap, and I think this could be a good scenario for that. There could be a lot of comedy in Sheldon realizing her father is actually a massive jerk and going all alpha-male and trying to antagonize him to protect his woman, ala Wil Wheaton, while Amy is the one totally oblivious to the cues and maybe even gets pissed off at Sheldon for ruining it for her, only to realize he was right all along. You get bickering and conflict and comedy and you can throw a sprinkle of honest heart-warming bonding between them at the same time. 

• Like 7

Exactly. Last thing I want to see is yet another "father-owns/protects-daughter-from-men" scenario. The idea of Amy reconnecting with her father after a long absence would not be bad either. We keep saying that it's about damn time we get ONE episode where Sheldon is there for her when she needs him to be, to show the audience why the heck she thinks he's worth the effort and putting up with all his crap, and I think this could be a good scenario for that. There could be a lot of comedy in Sheldon realizing her father is actually a massive jerk and going all alpha-male and trying to antagonize him to protect his woman, ala Wil Wheaton, while Amy is the one totally oblivious to the cues and maybe even gets pissed off at Sheldon for ruining it for her, only to realize he was right all along. You get bickering and conflict and comedy and you can throw a sprinkle of honest heart-warming bonding between them at the same time. 

Yes, I agree. It would be great to see Sheldon protecting her without being fueled by jealousy or RA obligations. It could be because of the father of course but any other situation is more than welcome.

Edited by Redrose

Yes, I agree. It would be great to see Sheldon protecting her without being fueled by jealousy or RA obligations. It could be because of the father of course but any other situation is more than welcome.

I agree...but I really REALLY like jealous Sheldon

• Like 4

From the Variety red carpet interview with Chuck Lorre:

“Big Bang Theory” star Jim Parsons also won Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy, and Lorre said that Parsons’ character, Sheldon, would continue his burgeoning relationship with Mayim Bialik’s Amy “at a snail’s pace, but given how difficult it is for Sheldon to deal with intimacy and human contact, he’s doing really well.” He added, “That relationship has been really good for the show because it allows us to dig deeper into his character and show a side of him that normally wouldn’t be revealed. You’re not going to find out stuff about him in the comic book store that you’re gonna find out about him when Mayim Bialik gets in his face.” The in-demand producer also teased that the comedy has a “remarkable” guest star coming up in season eight, but couldn’t reveal who it was.

Nothing really we didn't already know (other than the mysterious remarkable guest star) but it's always nice to hear Chuck say nice things about Shamy. I just wish that the relationship allowed us to also dig deeper into Amy's character a little more. Or at all, lol.

I don't like continuing at a snails pace.. IMPATIENT. 

• Like 2

We all know it the Shamy party line.  More to come on next Thursday morning   :)

What is coming next Thursday?  :icon_confused:

I also find it noteworthy, and correct me if I am wrong, Amy's apartment is the only one he goes to where he does not search for a spot to sit in.

Very true, he doesn't seem to feel the need to define a spot there...kind of like he's comfortable anywhere at her place so the whole apartment is "his spot". Very good catch, hadn't caught on to that one yet :)

Edited by CaffeineBuzz
  • Like 5

"A remarkable guest star"!??!?

I'm still hoping for a comedy tennis sketch scene with Ryan Sweeting and Genie Bouchard, Jim said he wanted to return the favour of Wimbledon

Edited by rachelshamyfan

Very true, he doesn't seem to feel the need to define a spot there...kind of like he's comfortable anywhere at her place so the whole apartment is "his spot". Very good catch, hadn't caught on to that one yet :)

Good call folks. It's true. He feels at home there. Very comfortable and goes there on several occasions when he needs to escape. I hope that continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Watching the Stag Convergence now, and almost died when I realized in Sheldon's speech to Howard he says. "I always thought that you would be the LAST of OUR friend group to get married." Sheldon was dating Amy at that point, does that mean he has considered getting married at one time? Or am I reading way to much into it.

Edited by boys3allc
  • Like 3

If Chuck is talking about the physical aspect of their relationship then I'm fine with the "snail's pace".What I would like to see this season is a few more kisses that are more passionate and where we see them lose a little "control" and by this I don't mean them shoving their tongues down each others throats!

If,however,he's talking about the emotional aspect then I'm not so happy.I want to see Sheldon making it absolutely clear to Amy,through words and deeds,that he's fallen totally in love with her and I don't want to see any more of her doubting his feelings. I'm hoping the car scene in 8x1 is the first glimpse of this.

Also,looking back at the Molaro interview,when he says"as Sheldon becomes more attached to Amy" I'm hoping that's his way of saying"as Sheldon falls deeper in love with Amy" because Sheldon has been attached to her since before they became bf/gf.

• Like 7

Watching the Stag Convergence now, and almost died when I realized in Sheldon's speech to Howard he says. "I always thought that you would be the LAST of OUR friend group to get married." Sheldon was dating Amy at that point, does that mean he has considered getting married at one time? Or am I reading way to much into it.

Another fantastic find. I don't think the statement was meant to mean anything more than a joke but hey liquid courage right..

I also think Chuck's comments are directed towards physical stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6