[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

rachelshamyfan

Their first time together I think will definitely be born from spontaneity. I don't believe this is something that will be meticulously planned out by either party, but will probably occur naturally. So, for instance, a session of heated kissing on the couch, looks into each others eyes, perhaps Sheldon asking Amy to stay and raising the rating from G up to R (a nice throwback to Fortification) without hesitation, and the scene ending with Sheldon taking Amy's hand and leading her into the hallway with a comment like "I hope you've washed your hands" (for the humour the show is known for).

However, after their first experience I expect Sheldon will include a new addendum in the Relationship Agreement that timetables their coitus to something ridiculous like once a week on a Monday at Sheldon's apartment with an additional session on the third Thursday of every month when date night occurs, and a session of lovemaking on birthdays and romantic holidays. This of course would leave the writers open to a scenario where Sheldon wants to break the rules because he is having a sudden urge to be with Amy. 

• Like 6

I agree. I mean, she had just told him she needs a break all the while he has an engagement ring. It's a hard hit to take, and you know he was in shock. So his "what should I do with this?" was mostly just being heartbroken and confused. I think he still has every intention in the world of proposing. But first thing is that they reconcile.

• Like 7

was talking about the australian promos and i dont know if i ever saw the australian promo for prom BUT LOOK AT THIS LMAAAAOOO 

This is hilarious! I want to see more LOL

Omg. I'm pissing myself laughing at these. How do they come up with this stuff!

Edited by ashleyo85
  • Like 3

Sorry if this point has already been made in another thread. It just occurred to me as I was reading the discussion here so I created a account just to post it. As I was reading the taping report for 8x24, I wondered why Sheldon seemed so interested in Penny & Leonard setting a date when he's rarely interested in the minutiae of theirs (or anyone else's relationships) and then it hit me! He had engagement and marriage on the brain! He already had Amy's engagement ring, knows he's going to be popping the question soon, and he's looking at his best friends over there, engaged for a year now. So he wants to know: when are they setting a date?

I'm not worried about Shamy long-term at all. This has been a long and surprisingly delicate journey the writers have taken them on so far. I rarely trust sitcom writers to get it right, but they've managed to pleasantly surprise me over and over with their handling of Shamy. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

• Like 3

After watching tonights ep again, i wonder if sheldon also bought amy's ring where Leonard bought penny's since sheldon mentioned "WE found a place online" when referring to where he bought it. Maybe he was just simply helping Leonard look for penny's ring with him but you could also read it that he was looking for his own individual ring at the same place that Leonard did, hence the 'we'. I do hope that sheldon's ring has a bit more significance though, ( maybe i've read to many fanfics but i still want it to be meemaw's ring or something haha :p).

After watching tonights ep again, i wonder if sheldon also bought amy's ring where Leonard bought penny's since sheldon mentioned "WE found a place online" when referring to where he bought it. Maybe he was just simply helping Leonard look for penny's ring with him but you could also read it that he was looking for his own individual ring at the same place that Leonard did, hence the 'we'. I do hope that sheldon's ring has a bit more significance though, ( maybe i've read to many fanfics but i still want it to be meemaw's ring or something haha :p).

I don't think that's the case. When Leonard proposed to Penny he said he had been carrying the ring for a couple of years and that was season 7, so that means he got the ring back on season 5, when Sheldon had just asked Amy to be his girlfriend under the terms that nothing will change physically between them.

This is, of course, if the writers are fainthfull to what they've written over the years. 

I don't really know what to think about this, I like to think maybe Mary gave him the ring, and it makes sense. I don't actually see Sheldon buying an engagement ring just when he agreed to buy a turtle with Amy and didn't end up getting it a few episodes ago. And when Mary gave him the ring, he realized maybe it was the right time to propose, not just a possibility that might happen in like 2 or 3 years in the future.

Edited by Lizzie_AR
  • Like 2

I don't think that's the case. When Leonard proposed to Penny he said he had been carrying the ring for a couple of years and that was season 7, so that means he got the ring back on season 5, when Sheldon had just asked Amy to be his girlfriend under the terms that nothing will change physically between them.

This is, of course, if the writers are fainthfull to what they've written over the years. 

I don't really know what to think about this, I like to think maybe Mary gave him the ring, and it makes sense. I don't actually see Sheldon buying an engagement ring just when he agreed to buy a turtle with Amy and didn't end up getting it a few episodes ago. And when Mary gave him the ring, he realized maybe it was the right time to propose, not just a possibility that might happen in like 2 or 3 years in the future.

I think once we see thing ring itself, we'll be able to determine if Mary played a part in it or not. If it has a classic look, there is every chance Mary passed it on to Sheldon, if it looks more modern than I'd say Sheldon took himself down to a jewelers, possibly the same place he got the pocket watch and tiara from, and picked one out. 

yea thats what i want to think too..it just made me curious given the wording of it :p 

it was not a promise ring that a teenager would give his girlfriend. It was a full-on engagement ring with a ROW of white diamonds.

Thanks for the clarification :) Just wanted to make sure I didn't get my hopes up and it just ended up being some ring as some trinket he gives her. 

Had my wisdom teeth taken out today so I've had a lot of time to think about the Shamy while I recover. :p

• Like 1

Have a look at Sheldon's face in this pic. Sorry about the quality, it's a shot of my tv screen, but I think this particular moment is even better than the one in the promo photo. Jim and Mayim are so brilliant.

Eta: ok, I just watched the 2-second kiss in slo-mo. I think I need help.

post-8807-0-06215600-1430464656_thumb.jp

Edited by Retroluv
  • Like 4

I would die for interactions between these two where you see Mary handle Amy the way she handles Sheldon. Or making comments about now being blessed with a perfectly... unique daughter-in-law.

Eta: I just love how it says "The odd couple" under your screenshot, Retro! LOL

Edited by koops
  • Like 3

Sorry if this point has already been made in another thread. It just occurred to me as I was reading the discussion here so I created a account just to post it. As I was reading the taping report for 8x24, I wondered why Sheldon seemed so interested in Penny & Leonard setting a date when he's rarely interested in the minutiae of theirs (or anyone else's relationships) and then it hit me! He had engagement and marriage on the brain! He already had Amy's engagement ring, knows he's going to be popping the question soon, and he's looking at his best friends over there, engaged for a year now. So he wants to know: when are they setting a date?

I'm not worried about Shamy long-term at all. This has been a long and surprisingly delicate journey the writers have taken them on so far. I rarely trust sitcom writers to get it right, but they've managed to pleasantly surprise me over and over with their handling of Shamy. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

This is what I thought as well.  

• Like 1

I think it might be like that, to be honest. Also maybe he doesn't wanna steal their thunder if he pops the question while Leonard and Penny are still engaged.

He learns about social conventions so maybe he is interested in a possible duration of an engagement ...

• Like 1

Well I have to agree with some of the posters here, it's seems to me sometime like Amy have some bipolar aspect in her personality. At the same time she needs a janitor after Leonard's "romantic" choice, other time she wants Sheldon to have similar comments. Sometimes romantic gesture is binding document and  , other time she needs classical - roses. It seems like Amy is herself confused of who she really is. Does she wants classical romance or their own kind? Or writers just still don't know what to do with them ? Because it sometimes feels to me like they have problem with really establish their relationship on stable basis. Maybe there are still ambivalent visions among the writers. But maybe It's intention to let Amy be more unbalanced person, or like koops said, they just can't help to throw some stereotype in the mix. One way or the other, there's no wonder Sheldon still can't understand her completely, or predict her reactions if, even we can't. He has difficult woman to solve indeed. 

Yes, I think the writers did not really manage to maintain consistency in her personality. And as there are several writers, it seems that depending they each have their opinion on how she should react. That's why even though I love shamy, Amy is not my favorite character.

My hunch is that he definitely had that ring on their anniversary and possibly for some time before. Secondly, while Sheldon takes forever to make a move, when he takes a decision he is all in and never looks back. It's not that difficult for me to believe that while he never really seriously thought about marriage until recently, the idea of Amy being a permanent fixture of his life has been with him for some time (indeed, even in the Mars episode, he wasn't contemplating terminating the relationship - he just assumed they would continue long distance!) and so I could see how, after Colonization, he might have started seriously "thinking a lot about their relationship" and once he decided, that was it. All in.

And in the episode when he said to the guys they must talk about financial investment (about comics store) with their wife or fiancé. When he talks to Amy about this, in my opinion he already shows he wants to marry her.

Edited by CentralPerk
  • Like 7

And in the episode when he said to the guys they must talk about financial investment (about comics store) with their wife or fiancé. When he talks to Amy about this, in my opinion he already shows he wants to marry her.

One of those rare instances where Sheldon played the straight man. Considering he's the "single" guy in that scene, he thought of finances in a long term, especially since Wolowitz (who is married) and Leonard (who is engaged) didn't factor in the wife and fiancee respectively when the idea to invest money in Stuart's comic book store came up.

• Like 2

To be honest, I don't think Amy is the only character where the writers struggle to maintain consistency. I mean, do we want to talk about how Penny went from an innocent Nebraskan girl who was heartbroken over being cheated on by her long-term boyfriend to, apparently, an alcoholic and promiscuous woman who sleeps with invisible men (because we never ever see these guys?). I think it's an issue with female characters in general on this show. The guys are written more consistently, and I wonder whether there's really some struggle on the part of the writers to write female characters consistently in the long term.

Another thing about Shamy and long-term commitment is the fact that, apparently, the RA "covers a wide array of scenarios, such as career changes and financial instability". I think it's actually very interesting that Shamy at some point sat down and discussed how career changes or financial issues might affect them as a couple and what they would do if they were faced with those scenarios. Obviously, though, there are still gaps in what the RA covers, since intelligent dog uprising is contemplated but Mars applications aren't :p I do take that the RA is a constant work-in-progress though, and I think it still speaks of a high level of commitment to the other that they would try to include those big life issues in it, even if, at the time, stuff like marriage or long-term future plans were not yet contemplated.

Edited by koops
  • Like 5

To be honest, I don't think Amy is the only character where the writers struggle to maintain consistency. I mean, do we want to talk about how Penny went from an innocent Nebraskan girl who was heartbroken over being cheated on by her long-term boyfriend to, apparently, an alcoholic and promiscuous woman who sleeps with invisible men (because we never ever see these guys?). I think it's an issue with female characters in general on this show. The guys are written more consistently, and I wonder whether there's really some struggle on the part of the writers to write female characters consistently in the long term.

Another thing about Shamy and long-term commitment is the fact that, apparently, the RA "covers a wide array of scenarios, such as career changes and financial instability". I think it's actually very interesting that Shamy at some point sat down and discussed how career changes or financial issues might affect them as a couple and what they would do if they were faced with those scenarios. Obviously, though, there are still gaps in what the RA covers, since intelligent dog uprising is contemplated but Mars applications aren't :p I do take that the RA is a constant work-in-progress though, and I think it still speaks of a high level of commitment to the other that they would try to include those big life issues in it, even if, at the time, stuff like marriage or long-term future plans were not yet contemplated.

Heehee to the bolded bit! I remember cocking my head at the Mars colonisation episode and thinking 'hang on- there's nothing in the RelAg about this? Do the ShAmy really think that an intelligent dog uprising is a likelier contingency than space exploration? With an astrophysicist and a space explorer in their circle of friends?'

It's not really a criticism. For all I know, the ShAmy think that an intelligent dog uprising is imminent!

Edited by wowbagger