The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

So much interesting discussion to catch up on!

I believe (hope?) that they won't go the cliched romcom/soap opera route of 'Sheldon and Amy break up, Amy dates around, Sheldon throws a jealous fit and/or dates around himself in retaliation/ultimately grovels to his wumman to get her back'. I mean, yikes. We've already seen a jealous Sheldon. It was entertaining, but I believe the point has been made. And for the sad, defeated-looking Amy in the tag scene to throw herself into Bridget-Jones-esque scenes would look so grotesquely out of character that- lord, I don't even know.

Could they break up? I don't think so, somehow. If this season's opener was any indication, they'll patch up Sheldon and Amy in the first episode or thereabouts. And- as loudly as i exclaimed 'WTF?!? Where is this coming from?!?' when they took a break, I'll be annoyed as hell if they get back together with a quip and, like, a 'Bazinga!' from Amy, with nary an attempt at an actual conversation.

But I sincerely, sincerely hope that they won't do that. As jarring as all the heaviness in this finale was, I was impressed that the show was willing to go so sombre and so quiet for so long. I hope that they recognise that they've steered their characters- especially Lenny and Shamy- into territory that needs communication and an actual attempt at resolution. 

Then again, I looked at the S7 finale and said 'Surely there's going to be major fallout from this!', and- well.....

I agree. I think given that this is, allegedly, years in the making, a resolution in one scene would be disappointing. I keep thinking that the best scenario would be for the premiere to open the same night, and the first two episodes taking place on subsequent days, exploring the fallout of the Lenny and Shamy plots and how they affect the gang. I just can't imagine that Amy would take that long to "reevaluate" though, particularly after having a good heart-to-heart with her friends. I can't imagine she will leave him hanging for months, and I can't imagine, like you say, a proper breakup. So my best case scenario would be 5 eps max, in case they want to save a big resolution for sweeps, which I might buy just because eps 3, 4 and 5 are generally just fun filler episodes. Or a pseudo-resolution in the premiere (like we were saying, maybe with Amy taking intimacy/romance off the table and Sheldon climbing the walls for the next few eps because coddammit now he's gotten used to it and he likes it and he wants it), and November sweeps having the big moment with Sheldon himself putting all that back onto the table and taking initiative (and Steve wagging his eyebrows saying "That's very telling. Isn't it telling? Isn't it? Isn't it?" *waggles waggles*).

As for Meemaw, I might be one of the few who does not want to see her on screen. To me, she's like Mrs Wolowitz or Penny's last name: one of those things that are better left to the imagination because no matter what the writers go for, it will always be disappointing!

Anyway, I've ranted enough I feel. And it's been a pleasure/pain to do so. But I think I'm going to take a break from speculation and analysis now until at least Comic Con (save some interim interviews with Majim/writers) when we will start getting some spoilers for S9. I really need to concentrate on real life a little and all this worrying is not doing me any good! :p See you in the S9 thread in July, if nothing exciting happens before! 

• Like 5

I agree. I think given that this is, allegedly, years in the making, a resolution in one scene would be disappointing. I keep thinking that the best scenario would be for the premiere to open the same night, and the first two episodes taking place on subsequent days, exploring the fallout of the Lenny and Shamy plots and how they affect the gang. I just can't imagine that Amy would take that long to "reevaluate" though, particularly after having a good heart-to-heart with her friends. I can't imagine she will leave him hanging for months, and I can't imagine, like you say, a proper breakup. So my best case scenario would be 5 eps max, in case they want to save a big resolution for sweeps, which I might buy just because eps 3, 4 and 5 are generally just fun filler episodes. Or a pseudo-resolution in the premiere (like we were saying, maybe with Amy taking intimacy/romance off the table and Sheldon climbing the walls for the next few eps because coddammit now he's gotten used to it and he likes it and he wants it), and November sweeps having the big moment with Sheldon himself putting all that back onto the table and taking initiative (and Steve wagging his eyebrows saying "That's very telling. Isn't it telling? Isn't it? Isn't it?" *waggles waggles*).

As for Meemaw, I might be one of the few who does not want to see her on screen. To me, she's like Mrs Wolowitz or Penny's last name: one of those things that are better left to the imagination because no matter what the writers go for, it will always be disappointing!

Anyway, I've ranted enough I feel. And it's been a pleasure/pain to do so. But I think I'm going to take a break from speculation and analysis now until at least Comic Con (save some interim interviews with Majim/writers) when we will start getting some spoilers for S9. I really need to concentrate on real life a little and all this worrying is not doing me any good! :p See you in the S9 thread in July, if nothing exciting happens before! 

No, I agree.  I'm part of the no-need to get Meemaw involved crowd.  Would it be cool to see her, sure....but as a resolution to get Shamy back on track HELL NO!!  

Seriously I'm stunned that anybody would want Meemaw, Mary, Penny, etc to get Sheldon to "step up".... we've seen him grow so much especially in season 7... He can do this on his own...in his own way and will!!!  My goodness, he has a ring folks...come on now

• Like 9

No, I agree. I'm part of the no-need to get Meemaw involved crowd. Would it be cool to see her, sure....but as a resolution to get Shamy back on track HELL NO!!

Seriously I'm stunned that anybody would want Meemaw, Mary, Penny, etc to get Sheldon to "step up".... we've seen him grow so much especially in season 7... He can do this on his own...in his own way and will!!! My goodness, he has a ring folks...come on now

He has to do this on his own. Actually he has to figure out what went wrong on his own as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

While I wouldn't mind seeing Meemaw at some point, I agree that it shouldn't be for the purposes of getting Sheldon and Amy back together (for lack of a better term). I really think Sheldon needs to--and will--do this on his own. It will be a testament to how much he's grown and show that he is, in fact, ready to be a married man. Input from his friends can help get him thinking, but ultimately, he needs to figure this out and fix it on his own.

• Like 5

I would prefer Sheldon figure this out on his own, and wins her back on his own initiative.  I personally don't want to see him going to Leonard or Penny because they have their own issues to deal with and honestly, why would he go to them?  They are not exactly a great example of what to do.   

As far as MeeMaw, I go back and forth on whether to show her ever or not.  But I definitely don't think that having her become involved in resolving this particular break period is what is needed.  What is needed is for Sheldon to contemplate the set of circumstances.  He is good at analysis.  Let him analyze and draw conclusions as a scientist would, but also as a man desperate to win his woman back.   He will figure it out and the difference is, he will throw his heart into it and she will see that heart and that is all she wants...is to see that he wants her as much as she wants him...not just physically, but emotionally. 

The problem with running to someone else whether it be Leonard, Penny, Mary or MeeMaw is that he will only be following their instructions and still won't be including the key ingredient.   He needs to learn this the hard way.

ETA:  Also, I think there could be far more comedic value out of watching Sheldon try to figure it out on his own, attempt to win her back and of course everything he attempts goes awry, but she will see his efforts and what his heart is saying and ultimately wins her back even with all his comedic failures.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 7

This is why I enjoy this forum so much, because people can have different theories on how the Shamy reconnection will happen, but everyone (...well almost everyone here) agrees they will get back together and will be stronger than ever.

#teamshamyseason9

• Like 4

I don't want Meemaw or anyone else to fix this up! Sheldon can do it on his own this time, he needs to - even more so to prove to Amy how mucch he has grown!

• Like 5

I haven't read many comments here, but it seems that it's the general opinion that Sheldon was at fault in the finale and needs to fix things with Amy in S9. Maybe it's just me then, but I don't think he has to do anything right now, let alone trying to win her back. Amy asked for space and that's what he should give her, I think. Which also means that she's the one who has some decisions to make. While watching the episode a second time I found myself still as confused as Sheldon and sadly pretty annoyed with Amy (which I really don't like to be because it kind of ruins the shipping fun for me). But anyhow, even if I don't think what happened during the make out was worth a "break", Amy obviously did. So I think she should figure things out for herself and then talk with Sheldon about her findings. I hope they soon have a honest conversation about what each of them wants and expects from the other, which we at least know is the same anyway, and then they can move on and live happily ever after...

Having said that, I do think that Sheldon should try to understand why Amy was upset in the first place and hopefully learns the pretty important lesson that one really has to shut up about TV shows and stuff while making out with ones girlfriend, regardless of how important it seems to be. It definitely is a mood killer, especially when the girlfriend had to wait, wish, crave and hope for it to happen for many long years.

Oh, no, you weren't the only one. I found myself getting irritated at- not Amy, exactly, but 'Amy', the Sitcom Girlfriend the writers occasionally wheel out to make some sort of jejeune 'Nerds Drool, Girls Rule' point. I was and am irritated with the writers, basically.

I am also on board with Amy being the one to do some thinking, because I think that the writers too often have the dynamic of Amy pushing, and Sheldon's desires/fears being the roadblock. And that, paradoxically, leaves Amy's own desires and fears for us to only guess at, because the writers are more interested in Sheldon's pathologies. So I am really gunning for an exploration of Amy's wants, rather than as an engine for Sheldon's growth. We shall see!

• Like 1

Where is the cold scene in slow motion, please?????

I don´t think we´ll see a REALLY SHAMY open mouth kiss, a hot one

Lenny hot open mouth kiss (the lime kiss) was taped when they were dating in real life. It was REALLY a hot kiss!

But, Who knows.....?????

you set the speed if you watch it on you tube.

go to settings/ speed/ and set it to 0.25.... and there is your slow motion :) 

• Like 2

Amy's last facial express in the cold opening kinda remind me of her "what's a hickey" face in s6. while Mayim made them clearly different. The face in the hickey episode was like "what the hell??" or didn't know how to respond , and the face in this episode seems blank and hopeless. if I'm not over thinking, then this kind of details might mean something.

Sheldon's really at fault. I felt sad about him. It was hard for Amy because as she said, she loves him...

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

.....it seems that it's the general opinion that Sheldon was at fault in the finale and needs to fix things with Amy in S9. Maybe it's just me then, but I don't think he has to do anything right now, let alone trying to win her back. Amy asked for space and that's what he should give her, I think. Which also means that she's the one who has some decisions to make.

Amy asked for space, yes, and I do believe Sheldon needs to give it a day or so because he also has to evaluate the status of their relationship, which wouldn't happen without Amy taking this approach. Sheldon needs to realize Amy has reached her breaking point in waiting for him to make clear his comittment goals and what priority she has in his life.

If Amy takes the initiative to go to him, they will end up with the same result as always. Sheldon will see Amy as accepting and forgiving and not feel motivated to step up his responsibilty to her in the relationship. Amy will go on feeling that Sheldon is not as vested as she is because of his inability to express himself on a romantic level and that he only does things because of her prodding. They will always have fun together and enjoy each other's company, but they will be disconnected because they are not meeting in the middle where their hearts are concerned.

I think Amy wants to test and see if Sheldon will come after her and prove his committment to her emotionally, mentally, physically. This is part of her evaluation of their situation.

If he doesn't react in the way she hopes, than she knows this is what she is going to have to contend with if she stays in the relationship. Even though she loves him, she has to decide if she is willing to accept that this may be all she is going to ever have with Sheldon and choose to continue or end it.

I believe Amy truly adores Sheldon's idiosyncrasies and doesn't want him to change. She knows she is going to have to reason with him when his brain logic goes off the scale. She knows she is going to have to be assertive, at times. This is why she is so perfect for him. She is strong where he is weak. These aren't the issues she is having. Amy wants to know that Sheldon is willing to take initiative on his own, consider her feelings, and make sacrifices to take their relationship beyond the friendship level and show her how valuable she is to him as a life partner. She needs to know this is something HE wants and is working toward.

If Sheldon comes after her to try to win her back, then she will know for sure that she is a priority in his life and he is committed to her. An elated Amy will readily accept Sheldon's attempts to fill the space and both will continue vesting in making their relationship better.

And, yes, Amy wants a sign from Sheldon that he is committed to her and that their relationship is moving forward. She was willing to accept something as simple as them raising a turtle together. She would have accepted an endearing response from Sheldon about their 5-year anniversary. She is not getting the reassurance she needs.

Amy is not expecting a proposal from Sheldon at all. When it happens, I hope they do it in such a way that Amy finds out he was planning it before their 5th Anniversary. Otherwise, she may take it as a "get out of jail" gesture like the tiara.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 6

I'm sorry, but if this is some kind of test (and it might be), I would just hated it. So, so very much. I'm just not under impression Amy is always this patient perfect girlfriend while Sheldon is the one who needs to be constantly "fixed." I love Sheldon's character for it's character, not just as a part of relationship and I don't want him to change entirely. I know maybe it's selfish of me, but it's just the last thing I would want to. He's such a unique personality and Sheldon who would know the right thing to say all the time, proclaiming his feelings, doing big romantic gestures just isn't the character I'm interested in and I don't think he needs to change and try even harder from now on to make her come back. He tries soooo much already. 

It seems like Amy wants a words, but his actions are much more obvious. He went against all of his beliefs emotionally or physically to include Amy in his life. And it's not like he needed her there. He was happy on his own,still he gave her huge space in his life, pushing his boundaries way out of his comfort zone. He can be selfish, but he did all of this without any ulterior motive, just to fulfill as much of her demands as was in his abilities. And it all speaks for itself. It's making me a little sad to think he should again have to prove himself, while Amy seems to forget too soon, already watching for the next step. Don't get me wrong, Amy is patient, and her gentle pushing is very much needed, but this time I really think it's time for her to take the decision. I want this time to be it about Amy. She's not the only one who I think reach the critic point. Sheldon is so  far from his comfort zone he probably doesn't see the line anymore and it was implied to him it's still is not enough.I don't think he will be able to determine the situation properly right now. Plus without Amy's guidance I can't see it going well.

It seems like Amy is now the one having insecurities and doubts and  it would be nice to see her dealing with them. Pure episode for Amy to look more closely on her own priorities and preferences, finding out why are they the way they are and try to see if they are comparable with Sheldon's. He said he likes her quirks and all. She has to find out if it's true about her too, and I think it is, but she needs to examine if it's really is not too much for her to handle. I think really this time it should be Amy's plot because Sheldon did (finally) the most mature, unselfish thing. Respected her decision. Season 5 Sheldon run to buy a tiara, Season 8 respects her even while he don't like that at all. It's really not much else to do for him. 

But after all I don't think it's so dramatic as  it seems on the first sight. I think there's mostly big misunderstanding between them. Amy thinks after five years Sheldon's biggest wrestle is with new TV show, while it should be the idea of them spending their life together, while Sheldon can't understand cause it's not a commitment issue for him. It's not an issue at all,  he has a ring, there's nothing to wrestle with, it's already resolved. I think time to think about themselves will help them both and once they will make clear they're on the same boat, I think everything will be lighter to solve between them. And hopefully it will teach them both  to use words time to time, after all even those are needed. 

• Like 5

I'm just not under impression Amy is always this patient perfect girlfriend while Sheldon is the one who needs to be constantly "fixed." I love Sheldon's character for it's character, not just as a part of relationship and I don't want him to change entirely........He's such a unique personality and Sheldon who would know the right thing to say all the time, proclaiming his feelings, doing big romantic gestures just isn't the character I'm interested in....

We are on the same page here. Amy doesn't want Sheldon to change and become someone other than the unique individual she fell in love with. To turn him into someone he is not would ruin his character and no doubt turn Amy off. She doesn't expect perfection from him, either. She just wants him to show he considers her feelings and wants affirmation of where she fits into his priorities. She is not giving Sheldon an ultimatum. She is simply stepping back to allow clarity on the matter to manifest itself in the space she has requested.

I don't mean to put this all on Sheldon. No doubt, Amy is also evaluating herself to see what she needs to do/be in order to be happy. Sheldon has set the pace of the relationship, and she is not happy with it. She has been pushy, attitudinal, and her understanding has flown the coup. She has seen Sheldon make tremondous strides, but suddenly it is not enough for her. She needs a reboot to get back to where she was when the relationship was working, but it needs to move forward. I just believe Sheldon reactions to this break can make a huge difference on how and when Amy is back in his arms.

• Like 2

... she told him about how "challenging" it is to be his girlfriend, and truthfully that is not something I expect to hear from the supposed "perfect" partner.......... if you are right, then the lesson here is that Amy isn't the exception after all and that Sheldon cannot be loved unconditionally for who he truly is, but only if he changes enough to be less challenging and less exhausting.

I agree with everything except this. I think it takes a great amount of strength to tell the one you love the truth, and the truth is that from her point-of-view it has been challenging to be Sheldon's girlfriend. Furthermore, she reinforced that she loves him, before telling him what she needed to do. She is not attacking him as a person or trying to change him as an individual. The exhaustion comes from the fact they are not in sync in regards to communicating in their relationship. They want the same things. We, as the audience sees it, but they have not made it clear to each other in words or actions.

• Like 2

Cbs!!! Why are you doi g this too me! Don't show me Shamy at a time lime this lol

Cbs!!! Why are you doi g this too me! Don't show me Shamy at a time like this lol

post-16119-0-37799800-1431276193_thumb.j

Cbs!!! Why are you doi g this too me! Don't show me Shamy at a time lime this lol

Cbs!!! Why are you doi g this too me! Don't show me Shamy at a time like this lol

I would say it's cruel but we know they are going to be fine.

• Like 3

I would say it's cruel but we know they are going to be fine.

I am taking this as proof that they will be!
  • Like 3

I am taking this as proof that they will be!

Exactly!

• Like 2