[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

rachelshamyfan

I thought at this scene at Horwadette's wedding since some time, that I wanted to share. This season 8 shows how much his feelings grew ! And that he no longer conceives his life without her and no longer be happy on his own.

Edited by CentralPerk
  • Like 1

I am struggling with how indifferent he can be on the outside, though.

I mean if they were aiming for the season to end like this (which I am sure they were) ... were they deliberately hurting Amy's character all over again just to prove a point?

Or, were they not and this is all just a byproduct of how they wrote him in the past?

I really need to invest in TBBT seasons 1-7 and 8 once it's available for purchase. I can watch TBBT all day. Watching season 3 now on TBS. The growth of all of the characters is great to see, but Sheldon's growth over the years is incredible.

Yeah.. umm... I posted this in the Fan Fiction board, but I wanted to share it here too. I wrote this short poem in honor of Sheldon and Amy. Let me know if you think if it's 'tumblr worthy'.

Once, a young man had a ring.

He was in love and happy, he was going to dance and sing - 

But he made a mistake, talking about the Flash - 

Little did he know his love was going to burn and crash.

The young man and the young woman, so far apart,

Poor young man, what will mend your broken heart?

Very nice! :shy:

I doubt the writers will change Sheldon's personality entirely as a result of the finale, however I do think Amy asking for a break will be the catalyst in a series of slow, subtly changes to how Sheldon expresses his emotions.
It is highly likely that the next time he has a conversation with Amy he will be upfront and explain how intense his feelings are for her, but he wants to take his time being physical with her because its not something he's entirely comfortable with yet. The ring will probably stay hidden from Amy for a bit, unless the writers go down the path of him proposing straight away, having Amy react in anger because he just doesn't understand that giving her a ring won't fix his commitment issues, but then Sheldon will tell her he was planning to propose anyway, making Amy really happy and letting her know he does desire her and wants to be with her.
From then on I think we'll see Sheldon happier, more physical with Amy (frequent hand holding, more kisses on screen, etc), but there will still be some things he says that irritate Amy because he genuinely doesn't understand. 

• Like 1

I agree...i think that the "break" will be used by the writers in order make Sheldon change as a boyfriend and to make shamy's relation grow (as most of their previous fights have been), but this will be done in Sheldon's way...the writers can't change his character to the point he prefers let's say roses to mushroom logs or he understands non verbal language or says romantic things (in the classical sense). The trick of breaking them up to built a new and stronger relationship will work if the writers are able to balance quirks and romance in a "comic" way....otherwise the character will be so different and it may alienate the public (at least i would be very disappointed if Sheldon will be changed in this direction...)

As for the phisycal relationship between them, i don't think it may be delayed too long...it was part of Amy's complains (not the main complain, but part of the Sheldon's commitment problems) so i can"t imagine the fight will be overcome without facing this issue; moreover, the finale in my opinioni suggested that Sheldon is finally ready....he got a ring, so marriage was his plan....

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 6

There is a lot out there, especially in fan fiction, about "changing Sheldon" and then recreating him into the image of what the perfect boyfriend will be like. Usually, exactly what Sheldon turns into via fan fiction depends on the fantasy of the perfect, horny, flowery, devoted boyfriend that that particular author dreams about. It's your dreamboat fantasy wearing Jim Parsons's dreamy blue eyes, sporting Sheldon's big bulbous brain, and for whatever reason, wearing a leather jacket. And even worse, Amy skipping at the mall because Amy loves the mall and you project yourself onto Amy too much! (I might have drug that fan fiction author out back and shot her. I don't remember clearly. There was a lot of alcohol involved.)

I don't think this is quite going to happen. Er, both Sheldon changing into some lothario or Amy skipping at the mall, I mean. I think there might be changes, but they will be subtle as they were this season, with Sheldon simply being very happy in his relationship with Amy, and his behavior and what he says and how he acts coming out of that happiness. To be honest, I'm not really sure how much farther he can go from this season and still remain in character. Sheldon will still be a person who has problems reading body language, sarcasm, tone-of-voice, and who is not flowery and hippie-dippy with his language. Why? Because there will always be Sheldon's fundamental personality, the heart, soul and body of who the man is, and while he can shuffle a few cards in the deck, and while his happiness and love for Amy increases as their emotional, intellectual and physical connection does, he's simply not going to turn into a guy bringing her roses everyday and spouting off Shakespeare and talking about his feelings and trying to get into her pants every 5 minutes. And good God, but I would hate it if he did, because the Sheldon I like is the one from the show I actually watch, not the fan fiction version.

Amy's "break" might very well be about changing Amy. It will definitely have an impact on Sheldon, but if I know him as well as I think I do, there is a very serious possibility that Amy's "break" will cause him to lose trust and faith in her, or in himself, or both, and that he will beat a retreat. Sheldon is a man who throws up some strong denial from time to time (she's not my girlfriend - for how long?), and who does not move forward, particularly with his feelings, until he's 110% sure. He might put up some strong denial that anything is wrong with him or Amy, or that he even cares, and send Amy some messages that lead her to break up with him entirely, or make her more hopeless or angry. Or he might have to pay for things he has said to her in the past, and all of the mixed messages he's given her.

I'm really not sure what is going to happen next season, and I hope it isn't dragged out too long, but I don't see proud Sheldon grovelling - and don't want to see it - and while he might crack to confess his feelings a bit more, I think it'll play as it did with the "i Love you." About coming to a logical conclusion and having to rule out a brain parasite. Not gushing of flowery, desperate: "I cannot live without you, my cherry blossom of vixenish lust! Marry me, my sweet pixie flower, and let me fuck you up against this wall!" And Amy's witty rejoinder of, "Okay!" and then.....

Well.

Yes, Sheldon can be indifferent on the outside. Yes, you need a dictionary, PhD and the patience of Job to figure him out sometimes, but that's part of his intrigue and the way he is built. I highly doubt that the actual writers of the show are going to forget that. They proceed with Shamy with the upmost caution so as not to throw his character, in particular, under the bus. Of course, to many, just the fact he fell in love with a mousy little bespeckled girl has absolutely ruined him - RUINED HIM. RUINED I TELL YOU - but they can all go take a long walk off a short pier over a crocodile infested swamp.

Sing it, sister!

I am also scratching my head about how much more demonstrative Sheldon could actually get and remain Sheldon. I mean, the man is proclaiming- proclaiming, mark you, because no other word will do for our Doctor Cooper- his love for Amy. He has kissed her in sight of other people without blowing a gasket about it. He kisses her with heat and obvious intent (it may not be obvious to Amy, because of her own inexperience and because she is too close to gauge matters objectively, but it should be obvious to literally everybody else). He waxes dreamily rhapsodic about her habits and the things she loves. He fabricates absurd revenge scenarios in order to go shopping for special, warm, meaningful gifts for her. He finds her so pretty it panics him, and he tells her that. 

I can see Sheldon being open and explicit that he loves Amy, wants her and desires her, but in just as matter-of-fact a way as when he told her that he loved her. I am not sure that I see Sheldon whisking Amy into a tango with a rose between his teeth, or reciting Omar Khayyam.

What I would actually quite like to see is a single, solitary episode where Sheldon conscientiously plods through that sort of behaviour: roses, compliments, aggressively asking her every five minutes how her day has been, only to have Amy say 'Dear God, no. This is weird and offputting. I only wanted to make sure we were on the same page. I never wanted you to turn into Leonard.'

(no disrespect meant to Leonard, or naturally romantic men, of course).

• Like 5

In season 8, while Sheldon became "softer" and more expressive of his feelings for Amy during their private moments, he is still the finicky, pedantic, and annoying Sheldon to his social group (which extends to Amy, within the context of their social group), so I don't really see the writers trying to tear down the old Sheldon in favor of putting Shamy into a brighter limelight. Amy has grown sassier. Amy wears the pants in their relationship, and this season, she started wearing the boots too. Old Amy would sometimes let Sheldon's inappropriateness slide, but now,she's saying "that's inappropriate/I've had enough".

The whole point of fanfiction is to let people exercise their story telling and writing skills based on characters already available. I love reading fanfictions, but I don't associate that the character growths of Sheldon and Amy will be like that sometime in the future of TBBT universe. Coincidentally, reading fanfiction Sheldon and Amy makes me appreciate the "real" Sheldon and Amy, so in my personal universe there are 2 versions of Shamy. Also, I believe that if the show will end with the characters married, they wouldn't be seen having children. Fanfictions are great source of fluff as well, there are amazing FF writers who can come up with good stories about how Sheldon and Amy might be like as parents to their children.

• Like 7

Regarding Sheldon and the ring

I still don't think he was going to propose, he has the ring ready for when he will be ready to propose though

The showing us of the ring and Sheldon saying "what do I do with this now" was more a symbol of him being confused and shocked as to what Amy had just told him and he was unable to comprehend "what happens next" and how he deals with it

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 4

I'm starting to layout some clips for my next video tribute. I was "slicing" some clips, until I came to this part in The Colonization Application:

Amy: No one told you to poke the turtle's face.

Sheldon: I was playing "Got Your Nose." That's how you get children to like you.

Leaps and bounds of thoughts in comparison to his previous thoughts about children: clinical "experiments" in petri dishes (season 4) and "one of the three things I never cared for". Sheldon's might be starting to think of the future, with Giuseppe as his "testing ground". Also, it was strongly implied he didn't cringe when Amy told him that they'll be the first in their group to start a family, further cemented by how he reacted when Leonard mentioned it.

• Like 9

Oh yea, season 8 Sheldon's attitude towards future stuff and Amy has changed.  I've rewatched the entire season over the last week and there are so many inklings like your point about the kids reference that kinda almost show him thinking of marriage didn't come out of left field.  Hence me also noticing Amy not in the same state of complete happiness. 

• Like 1

Oh yea, season 8 Sheldon's attitude towards future stuff and Amy has changed. I've rewatched the entire season over the last week and there are so many inklings like your point about the kids reference that kinda almost show him thinking of marriage didn't come out of left field. Hence me also noticing Amy not in the same state of complete happiness.

Sounds crazy too that in the last few episodes of season 7, "The Anything Can Happen Recurrence" he had that stunned facial expression when the psychic told him that if he gives himself to his relationship with Amy everything will fall into place for him.After 2 episodes,which is the finale,he was the one who brought up the "oh sure and while we are at it why don't we get engaged too? Why don't we get a little house,start a family?!?". When I watched that,I thought,wow the psychic got INTO him but he's still trying to fight it because those are BIG,BIG changes. Edited by Chelle
  • Like 8

I agree with both of the assessments. The only time Sheldon acted a little weird about the future was when Amy said the line about procreating then changed his tune pretty quick when she mentioned Martian babies.

And I agree, I think Amy is a bit exhausted. Some of her expressions said it all. And I think she may also be tired of explaining why she is angry, even if I truly believe Sheldon doesn't always understand. She is at the point where she needs him to figure it out on his own and not constantly have to be told.

That being said, all they need to do is talk so that they know they are on the same page.

I don't want anyone chasing anyone. I want Sheldon to take the initiative sure but not groveling at her feet. Go to her apartment and tell her what he was going to say before she cut him off. Then maybe she sees he is on the same page and then they are all good and then sometime in November or February(sweeps) they get engaged.

• Like 5