[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

rachelshamyfan

I just do not agree at all that Lenny have something she and Sheldon don't. The only thing Lenny have that Shamy don't is physical intimacy. Have we forgotten about all the time Sheldon has said sweet things to her?! How about his whole speech in 7x05 which is essentially the exact same thing Leonard said to Penny here? "This is difficult, but I like you and I'm sticking by you no matter what". It's the exact same meaning but he said it to her a year ago. It's incredibly unfair to him to say "Oh Sheldon why can't you be sweet to Amy by being a sickening sap in public on command?".

We have seen again and again that he can sweep her off her feet when she lets him be himself. I just do not feel at all that everything Amy wants is stuff that makes sense and she's always right to want it and should have it and everything Sheldon thinks about romance is him being ridiculous and a grump and unreasonable and he should just quit whining and give it to her. Why does Sheldon always have to learn that what Amy wants is the way things should be and she never has to learn that what she wants is actually not really all it's cracked up to be? I would be really disappointed if the moral of their story were just to get Sheldon to accept traditional romance and for Amy to never learn anything about herself. I would like this to be a give and take on every level, and that's exactly what this episode shows to me.

Edited by koops

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know if you see something that you feel is negative on the taping report, the actual viewing of it could change your mind

I seriously disliked Sheldon's "slick, huh" from the taping report but then seeing how it played out I found I got it

Edited by rachelshamyfan

I just do not agree at all that Lenny have something she and Sheldon don't. The only thing Lenny have that Shamy don't is physical intimacy. Have we forgotten about all the time Sheldon has said sweet things to her?! How about his whole speech in 7x05 which is essentially the exact same thing Leonard said to Penny here? "This is difficult, but I like you and I'm sticking by you no matter what". It's the exact same meaning but he said it to her a year ago. It's incredibly unfair to him to say "Oh Sheldon why can't you be sweet to Amy by being a sickening sap in public on command?".

We have seen again and again that he can sweep her off her feet when she lets him be himself. I just do not feel at all that everything Amy wants is stuff that makes sense and she's always right to want it and should have it and everything Sheldon thinks about romance is him being ridiculous and a grump and unreasonable and he should just quit whining and give it to her. Why does Sheldon always have to learn that what Amy wants is the way things should be and she never has to learn that what she wants is actually not really all it's cracked up to be? I would be really disappointed if the moral of their story were just to get Sheldon to accept traditional romance and for Amy to never learn anything about herself. I would like this to be a give and take on every level, and that's exactly what this episode shows to me.

Amen! So very much Amen!

The thing about Amy that people seem to have forgotten precisely because she's been written as too "normal" these past couple of years is that she's basically just a teenager. She has yearned to fit in for years and never did until she met Sheldon and, through him, Penny and Bernadette. Penny and Bernadette are not only her first female friends, they're also both in relationships, and both very experienced in the romance department as neither Leonard nor Howard is their first boyfriend the way Sheldon is hers. So, like any teenager, Amy thinks that she wants her friends' relationships. And what are they? Lots of sex and sappy romance. 

I find it funny that Amy believes she wants what Lenny have when, in the same episode, Penny knows that what Lenny have is not all it's cracked up to be and she wants what Shamy has. Both women have a "relationship envy" but Sheldon's reminder that their 8.2 shows that at the end of the day she is happy just the way things are for them.

I mean, Amy is like, "I'd love it if you were romantic like that", but then? What if Sheldon gave in and became a sappy romantic? Would she really love it? 1) it wouldn't be the Sheldon she fell in love with, and 2) see how much she wanted kissing and now she can't even handle it, she just stands there while Sheldon is having the time of his life. 

The only way a "Sheldon gives in to Amy's wishes to be traditionally romantic" would be interesting would be if they did that as a season finale cliffhanger, and it prompts Amy to completely freak out and leave for a while (since they like sending people off. :p)

Edited by Marina

What I find interesting in this episode is how much Penny "gets it" and Leonard doesn't. It's very interesting to me because I think that Leonard understands how Sheldon ticks better than Penny does but he doesn't understand what he feels from ticking the way he does, whereas Penny doesn't understand how Sheldon ticks like Leonard does but she does understand what he gets out of it. And I think Leonard understands Sheldon but not Shamy and Penny understands Shamy but not Sheldon. It's very very interesting to me. 

Leonard spent the whole evening trying to one-up Sheldon by essentially bringing up his own concepts of what proves that a relationship is perfect and showing to Sheldon how Shamy don't meet his criteria. He thinks spending time in silence is a bad sign for a relationship, whereas it's one of the biggest indications of comfort between these two. He thinks the bureaucracy and contractual obligations take the romance out of it whereas to Shamy it's as hot as it gets. He thinks not sharing food means it's not a perfect relationship, but then Sheldon proves he is misguided. All the while, Penny is observing in silence and getting more and more uneasy about it because she knows what Sheldon is getting at and it's what always scared her about her relationship with Leonard: that it's based on infatuation and that she's got nothing to offer him. Because that's all she's experienced her whole life with other men. But then Leonard goes and essentially tells her "Look, it doesn't matter how it works for them, we might not have lots of things in common but what matters to us as a couple is different than what matters to them and it will be ok."

Sheldon says THE EXACT SAME THING to Amy, with his "We got an 8.2. Trust me, you're happy." It's just said in his own, Sheldon-way. Amy is looking at Lenny much as Penny was looking at Shamy and they're both envious in a way but then their men reassure them that they should stop looking elsewhere for examples of how a happy relationship works. It's in the form of a joke to put the punchline in the scene, but that's what it all means to me. 

Bottom line is (and hopefully I'm not going to repeat what Marina and koops said before me) that Amy *is* happy of her relationship and what they have and that's all she expressed in that same episode (the RelAg, the comfortable hours of silence, the parallel activities). They are happy. This is not the Amy we have known in the past two seasons that was secretly (or not so secretly) complaining about something Sheldon didn't do or say and so on. What we have been presented for the whole episode is what works *for them* and probably no other couple on the planet. And that's okay. They didn't get a 8.2 score out of thin air.

When she looked at Lenny, that was Amy having a romantic fantasy of what her own relationship could be. Or what her relationship could have as a plus. But, as the episode did a very good job of pointing out (finally, and I hope they keep going this way), is that not every couple needs the same things to work nor they work the same way.

Sheldon had a point. Not necessarily meaning Amy doesn't have one with her desires, but I think sometimes you need to take a step back and look at things with a clearer mind. Yes, words are nice (and Sheldon is perfectly capable of romantic gestures), but that's not what would "make her happy". She seemed perfectly content of her superior relationship up until she saw Lenny acting all lovey dovey. And I think another point of the episode is: just because your relationship is presumably "missing" something, that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

For the record, I never said that Sheldon and Amy were missing something, or that their relationship was better or worse than Leonard and Penny's. I was just saying that the relationships are different and each couple has something the other doesn't. Because they are not the same. And that's fine. That's how we want it.  But with that said, I will bow out now. 

The thing about Amy that people seem to have forgotten precisely because she's been written as too "normal" these past couple of years is that she's basically just a teenager. She has yearned to fit in for years and never did until she met Sheldon and, through him, Penny and Bernadette. Penny and Bernadette are not only her first female friends, they're also both in relationships, and both very experienced in the romance department as neither Leonard nor Howard is their first boyfriend the way Sheldon is hers. So, like any teenager, Amy thinks that she wants her friends' relationships. And what are they? Lots of sex and sappy romance. 

I find it funny that Amy believes she wants what Lenny have when, in the same episode, Penny knows that what Lenny have is not all it's cracked up to be and she wants what Shamy has. Both women have a "relationship envy" but Sheldon's reminder that their 8.2 shows that at the end of the day she is happy just the way things are for them.

I mean, Amy is like, "I'd love it if you were romantic like that", but then? What if Sheldon gave in and became a sappy romantic? Would she really love it? 1) it wouldn't be the Sheldon she fell in love with, and 2) see how much she wanted kissing and now she can't even handle it, she just stands there while Sheldon is having the time of his life. 

The only way a "Sheldon gives in to Amy's wishes to be traditionally romantic" would be interesting would be if they did that as a season finale cliffhanger, and it prompts Amy to completely freak out and leave for a while (since they like sending people off. :p)

That's a very nice post but the bolded part made fall of my chair!!! That is literally the funniest description of the second SIK!!!!!!!!!! He is having the time of his life!!!!!!! I love it it's so funny and so true!!!!!!!!! <3

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! koops, Marina, teoria, and so many more, I am in an ecstasy of agreement.

So many time in Seasons Six and Seven, it's seemed as though the writers were saying 'Well, conventional romance is obviously the right thing to want. But isn't it hilarious for Amy to get dismissed or ignored, with occasional basic crumbs of affection?!'

And- no. No, it wasn't. I'd fume if Sheldon was oblivious or dismissive, and I'd fume if Amy were whiny or passive-aggressive but get what she wanted because the writers thought it was time for her to 'have a win'. 'IT'S NOT ABOUT WINNING OR LOSING!' I'd scream futilely. 'THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A ZERO-SUM GAME! SHE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE WEARING HIM DOWN, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!'

The JOY of having Sheldon respond to a plea for conventional romance with 'Is that what you really want?' rather than with a clueless deflection or a thoughtless jibe. The unexpected thoughtfulness and maturity of it! This is the writers saying 'Hang on, we've got this. We've actually thought about what may work for this couple. We're treating both characters with respect, rather than condescension or pandering. They're working towards what they need, rather than what they think they want.'

(sighs happily)

And now for a slight minor key: I'm glad that the show's figured out a way to deal with Amy's lunge into delayed adolescence. I'm glad that Sheldon and Amy are communicating with each other, and seem to be working towards a relationship that works for both of them. However, I would really like for Sheldon's scarpering to be dealt with. All of this health and maturity is lovely, but it follows hard on the heels of some much less mature behaviour. Is the show saying that Sheldon actually gained some perspective on his train journey? Enough to think about what he wants, engage with Amy and push back openly and respectfully when he disagrees? Because if so, kudos again, writers, but this growth and maturity seems to have happened kind of offscreen.

What I find interesting in this episode is how much Penny "gets it" and Leonard doesn't. It's very interesting to me because I think that Leonard understands how Sheldon ticks better than Penny does but he doesn't understand what he feels from ticking the way he does, whereas Penny doesn't understand how Sheldon ticks like Leonard does but she does understand what he gets out of it. And I think Leonard understands Sheldon but not Shamy and Penny understands Shamy but not Sheldon. It's very very interesting to me.

Leonard spent the whole evening trying to one-up Sheldon by essentially bringing up his own concepts of what proves that a relationship is perfect and showing to Sheldon how Shamy don't meet his criteria. He thinks spending time in silence is a bad sign for a relationship, whereas it's one of the biggest indications of comfort between these two. He thinks the bureaucracy and contractual obligations take the romance out of it whereas to Shamy it's as hot as it gets. He thinks not sharing food means it's not a perfect relationship, but then Sheldon proves he is misguided. All the while, Penny is observing in silence and getting more and more uneasy about it because she knows what Sheldon is getting at and it's what always scared her about her relationship with Leonard: that it's based on infatuation and that she's got nothing to offer him. Because that's all she's experienced her whole life with other men. But then Leonard goes and essentially tells her "Look, it doesn't matter how it works for them, we might not have lots of things in common but what matters to us as a couple is different than what matters to them and it will be ok."

Sheldon says THE EXACT SAME THING to Amy, with his "We got an 8.2. Trust me, you're happy." It's just said in his own, Sheldon-way. Amy is looking at Lenny much as Penny was looking at Shamy and they're both envious in a way but then their men reassure them that they should stop looking elsewhere for examples of how a happy relationship works. It's in the form of a joke to put the punchline in the scene, but that's what it all means to me.

This is the best explanation of that scene. This is exactly how I perceived it when reading the report and to me it speaks to the whole theme of this episode for them. That's why the line doesn't bother me. It's not just a flippant Sheldon line...I think he really gets it at this point and knows that what makes his relationship with Amy great is that its different, and quirky and "shamy ". In this episode at least, he seems to have a better grasp on the state of their relationship than Amy does. I think a recurring issue with Amy is that she very often fluctuates from having a very clear view of the state of her relationship to at other times falling prey to the blindness of "the grass is greener on the other side". So where I see Sheldon needing to work on embracing his emotional side, Amy needs to work on keeping her emotional rationality. Edited by CaffeineBuzz

For the record, I never said that Sheldon and Amy were missing something, or that their relationship was better or worse than Leonard and Penny's. I was just saying that the relationships are different and each couple has something the other doesn't. Because they are not the same. And that's fine. That's how we want it. But with that said, I will bow out now.

Well, yes and no. I know you weren't ranking the relationships, by all means! But you said "Amy realized Lenny have something that she and Sheldon don't", referring to the fact that Leonard was being all lovey-dovey cheering Penny up when she was upset about their relationship. Which to me implies that that's something Shamy's relationship is missing. But it's not. Because we have seen Sheldon cheer her up when she is upset about their relationship before much in the same way Leonard did here. He might not say "I want to hold your hand" while doing it, but the bottom line remains: he does it.

You know that I'm the first to be all up in arms when I feel Amy is being treated poorly by the writers and Sheldon alike. But I don't think that every complaint that comes out of her mouth is justified. I think she was being just silly here. And, frankly, a bit unfair to Sheldon. He has been trying to make it up to her for all the time together they missed while he was gone by going on tons of dates (and, consequently, they're probably kissing a lot right now), he spent the whole evening bragging about how superior their relationship is, he was even willing to share his food with her. And yet there she goes making a comment that makes it sound like it's never enough for her. That no matter how much he progresses she always complains about how he could be even better. I don't think that's fair to Sheldon and I think that any other episode the writers might have come up with far worse a rebuttal than "you already are happy, you just don't know it". This line is not only not bad, IMO, but even necessary for many reasons other than the punchline.

I do think Lenny miss things Shamy have and Shamy miss things Lenny have, because their relationships travel in opposite directions, but what I mean is that the ability to make things better and cheering each other up through sweet words (whatever form they might take) is definitely not one of them. And I think Amy is so focused with wanting all these experiences her friends are having that she is missing out on so much of what makes her relationship with Sheldon special to start with, no matter how it's right in front of her face sometimes.

Well, yes and no. I know you weren't ranking the relationships, by all means! But you said "Amy realized Lenny have something that she and Sheldon don't", referring to the fact that Leonard was being all lovey-dovey cheering Penny up when she was upset about their relationship. Which to me implies that that's something Shamy's relationship is missing. But it's not. Because we have seen Sheldon cheer her up when she is upset about their relationship before much in the same way Leonard did here. He might not say "I want to hold your hand" while doing it, but the bottom line remains: he does it.

You know that I'm the first to be all up in arms when I feel Amy is being treated poorly by the writers and Sheldon alike. But I don't think that every complaint that comes out of her mouth is justified. I think she was being just silly here. And, frankly, a bit unfair to Sheldon. He has been trying to make it up to her for all the time together they missed while he was gone by going on tons of dates (and, consequently, they're probably kissing a lot right now), he spent the whole evening bragging about how superior their relationship is, he was even willing to share his food with her. And yet there she goes making a comment that makes it sound like it's never enough for her. That no matter how much he progresses she always complains about how he could be even better. I don't think that's fair to Sheldon and I think that any other episode the writers might have come up with far worse a rebuttal than "you already are happy, you just don't know it". This line is not only not bad, IMO, but even necessary for many reasons other than the punchline.

I do think Lenny miss things Shamy have and Shamy miss things Lenny have, because their relationships travel in opposite directions, but what I mean is that the ability to make things better and cheering each other up through sweet words (whatever form they might take) is definitely not one of them. And I think Amy is so focused with wanting all these experiences her friends are having that she is missing out on so much of what makes her relationship with Sheldon special to start with, no matter how it's right in front of her face sometimes.

Exactly!! At times like this, it's AMY I want to smack upside the head, not Sheldon.

Exactly!! At times like this, it's AMY I want to smack upside the head, not Sheldon.

And you know what? I not only agree, but I think this is good. I think a truly balanced and good relationship pairing has ups and downs. It makes them more realistic. I like that we cheer for Amy when she is the best ever, like when she gave Sheldon the V-day, and also that we want to whack her sometimes when she just isn't getting it. I think it's good that Sheldon deserves a good time out sometimes, and yet we applaud at times like these when he is being so adorable and bragging about his vixen. My point is, I don't think either should be "winning", I think we should see that they are compromising and growing so that to get corny on you guys, so that they can win together!

Edited by AndyRenee

Hi I'm Katie! I've been lurking for a while and I feel the need to add some input.

Most of you may know me from Fanforum or Twitter and I'm excited to share my imput.

Pertaining to Shamy, I like how they are being developed in these first few episodes. They are going back to the Shamy that I loved in season 4-5.

I love that they are becoming on the same level again, meaning that they are in synch. A FREAKING 8.2 ON THE TEST?!? I'm a psychology student and most couples get half of that.

THIS IS THE SHAMY THAT I FELL IN LOVE WITH. Don't get me wrong, I love the SIK and SIK 2.0 but I'd rather see them getting closer in this way, than just them having sex (which is something that I will eventually want to see)

Just have to share how much I love and enjoy this thread!! I appreciate all the different viewpoints and takes... It's also so refreshing to have our own Shamy zone.

Here is to a great season 8 which I think will be a big Shamy season!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the record, I never said that Sheldon and Amy were missing something, or that their relationship was better or worse than Leonard and Penny's. I was just saying that the relationships are different and each couple has something the other doesn't. Because they are not the same. And that's fine. That's how we want it.  But with that said, I will bow out now. 

Sorry Michy. I get what you are saying though, for the record. :)

Hi I'm Katie! I've been lurking for a while and I feel the need to add some input.

Most of you may know me from Fanforum or Twitter and I'm excited to share my imput.

Pertaining to Shamy, I like how they are being developed in these first few episodes. They are going back to the Shamy that I loved in season 4-5.

I love that they are becoming on the same level again, meaning that they are in synch. A FREAKING 8.2 ON THE TEST?!? I'm a psychology student and most couples get half of that.

THIS IS THE SHAMY THAT I FELL IN LOVE WITH. Don't get me wrong, I love the SIK and SIK 2.0 but I'd rather see them getting closer in this way, than just them having sex (which is something that I will eventually want to see)

Is there any link to the actual test online? (Sorry if this was mentioned already). I'm super curious to see it.

Welcome Katie!

I'm just so happy with how the writers are treating the Shamy in this episode. It's like the same way they treated them in S4: a compatible unit, the brilliant duo, the quirky comrades. They're so fascinating and cute this way. They aren't using their oddness as a source of ridicule any longer. Leonard keeps trying to make jabs at them, but fails hopelessly each time. It's the writers saying, "Yes, they're different, but that's why they're awesome."

When they try to be conventional, Amy and Sheldon both struggle. But when they embrace their uniqueness, they both flourish. I'm glad the writers are choosing to amplify the latter.

Thank you Michy for an amazing taping report :)

The only thing I'm disappointed is they are kissing off screen on date nights and they don't allow us to see even one kiss LOL.

Edited by Jiab Pattira

Thank you Kazzie and MichyGeary !!!

At first, I read Kazzie's tweets. The last line of Sheldon has not bothered me because I take it as a joke of the writers and Sheldon be Sheldon. It would have been completely out of his personality to response to her request/envy and at the same time I think that even if he does nothing, he heard her (in the way that he may take into account later. But I also understand the disappointment of Kazzie regard to Amy who may have not be satisfied with his answer.

Then I read the taping report last evening. I laughed at some sentences, people in subway looked at me weird.
I love that Sheldon, first, makes up date nights missed due to his journey. Even if he said he is "contractual obligated", remember 6.20 "The Tenure Turbulence", it is implied that he canceled many date nights and nothing seems to say later he will catch up... so a first positive thing !

Then, his pride on their relationship, his arguments, sharing food !, his answer to Leonard about avocado. Like many of you I have made ​​myself with the "absolutely not" and then aaahhhhhh  :-)

After reading all your analyses, I like this episode more and more. Things you pointed out I didn't realize :

- the rarity of the score they have to the test, and a scientific test, not a cosmo style.
- Sheldon comfortable in their relationship and his reasonable and realistic sides instead of the dreamer side of Amy.
- Even if we don't see, they kiss more regularly since they have date nights more regular
- Sheldon makes up dates night to make amends for his departure.
- Sheldon has already shown that it can act as Leonard

I can't wait to see this episode and plenty of shamy moments later in the season.
Edited by CentralPerk

When I read that line from Amy about, "It would make me happy...", I didn't read it as a complaint, just straight forward communication.   Instead of 'tricking' Sheldon into romance like on Locomotive, she is communicating with him about what she would like, throwing the ball in his court.   I see that as a good thing!  . 

Is there any link to the actual test online? (Sorry if this was mentioned already). I'm super curious to see it.

This is the link to the original paper: http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/57/5/792/

But unfortunately, unless you have access to a university network, you can't see the full text for free. Don't know if anyone found a free version anywhere, I have the pdf but I can't attach it on here I don't think, wouldn't want to get into copyright trouble :p

eta: Actually! I managed to take out only the Appendix with the test. This way I shouldn't be infringing any copyright (I think!). See attached.

test.pdf

Edited by koops

I'm really liking this episode so far and am not turned off at all by his comment.  In fact, I'm really encouraged by it.  First, from last season, Sheldon KNOWS Amy is in love with him and he's not freaked out by it.  He acknowledges that they are a great couple which is supported by this scientific test (which for Sheldon means more than hippy dippy feelings, even though he has them and hides them).  Sheldon is never going to stop being Sheldon.  He's going to move forward whining until he gets to his comfort place and then rinse and repeat for the next thing.  Every couple is different, but Sheldon and Amy laid the ground work for an awesome relationship by being fabulous friends first, they know how just to be.  I love that they can be together in a room and not feel the need to speak or do something with the other, but get comfort from knowing the other one is there.  I love that they can be weird and silly in their own way and not care what anyone else thinks.  Of the two of them, I think Sheldon is the realist and Amy the dreamer, she making up for what she's thinks romance is  supposed to be based on her romance novels, rom-com movies and observation of Penny and Bernie.  I think Sheldon has more of a handle of really how their relationship truly is than she does.  Does this mean that her desire for some romance, either through gesture or spoken word, is not warranted, absolutely not.  Her needs are just that, hers.  However, I think if she ever woke up to find dreamy eyed, over the moon Sheldon, she'd lose that feeling for him.  She fell in love with brilliant, arrogant, quirky, not up for hippy dippy stuff Sheldon, she loves the challenge of him just as much he does of her.  He's starting to give her what she needs (and I really do hope that there are off screen kisses we are not seeing, and that she's learning how to kiss him back) but will be able to give her more later while still staying Sheldon.

When I read that line from Amy about, "It would make me happy...", I didn't read it as a complaint, just straight forward communication.   Instead of 'tricking' Sheldon into romance like on Locomotive, she is communicating with him about what she would like, throwing the ball in his court.   I see that as a good thing!  . 

Agreed.  I don't read that as she's not happy.  I read it as it would be nice if I could have this, too.  No relationship fulfills everything we desire no matter how much we love the other person.  We learn to love an appreciate what we get from our significant other and try to move past what we don't get, which is hopefully insignificant. It's all about give and take.