[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

rachelshamyfan

You know if you see something that you feel is negative on the taping report, the actual viewing of it could change your mind

I seriously disliked Sheldon's "slick, huh" from the taping report but then seeing how it played out I found I got it

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 2

I just do not agree at all that Lenny have something she and Sheldon don't. The only thing Lenny have that Shamy don't is physical intimacy. Have we forgotten about all the time Sheldon has said sweet things to her?! How about his whole speech in 7x05 which is essentially the exact same thing Leonard said to Penny here? "This is difficult, but I like you and I'm sticking by you no matter what". It's the exact same meaning but he said it to her a year ago. It's incredibly unfair to him to say "Oh Sheldon why can't you be sweet to Amy by being a sickening sap in public on command?".

We have seen again and again that he can sweep her off her feet when she lets him be himself. I just do not feel at all that everything Amy wants is stuff that makes sense and she's always right to want it and should have it and everything Sheldon thinks about romance is him being ridiculous and a grump and unreasonable and he should just quit whining and give it to her. Why does Sheldon always have to learn that what Amy wants is the way things should be and she never has to learn that what she wants is actually not really all it's cracked up to be? I would be really disappointed if the moral of their story were just to get Sheldon to accept traditional romance and for Amy to never learn anything about herself. I would like this to be a give and take on every level, and that's exactly what this episode shows to me.

Amen! So very much Amen!

• Like 3

For the record, I never said that Sheldon and Amy were missing something, or that their relationship was better or worse than Leonard and Penny's. I was just saying that the relationships are different and each couple has something the other doesn't. Because they are not the same. And that's fine. That's how we want it.  But with that said, I will bow out now. 

• Like 4

The thing about Amy that people seem to have forgotten precisely because she's been written as too "normal" these past couple of years is that she's basically just a teenager. She has yearned to fit in for years and never did until she met Sheldon and, through him, Penny and Bernadette. Penny and Bernadette are not only her first female friends, they're also both in relationships, and both very experienced in the romance department as neither Leonard nor Howard is their first boyfriend the way Sheldon is hers. So, like any teenager, Amy thinks that she wants her friends' relationships. And what are they? Lots of sex and sappy romance. 

I find it funny that Amy believes she wants what Lenny have when, in the same episode, Penny knows that what Lenny have is not all it's cracked up to be and she wants what Shamy has. Both women have a "relationship envy" but Sheldon's reminder that their 8.2 shows that at the end of the day she is happy just the way things are for them.

I mean, Amy is like, "I'd love it if you were romantic like that", but then? What if Sheldon gave in and became a sappy romantic? Would she really love it? 1) it wouldn't be the Sheldon she fell in love with, and 2) see how much she wanted kissing and now she can't even handle it, she just stands there while Sheldon is having the time of his life. 

The only way a "Sheldon gives in to Amy's wishes to be traditionally romantic" would be interesting would be if they did that as a season finale cliffhanger, and it prompts Amy to completely freak out and leave for a while (since they like sending people off. :p)

That's a very nice post but the bolded part made fall of my chair!!! That is literally the funniest description of the second SIK!!!!!!!!!! He is having the time of his life!!!!!!! I love it it's so funny and so true!!!!!!!!! <3

• Like 6

Just have to share how much I love and enjoy this thread!! I appreciate all the different viewpoints and takes... It's also so refreshing to have our own Shamy zone.

Here is to a great season 8 which I think will be a big Shamy season!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

For the record, I never said that Sheldon and Amy were missing something, or that their relationship was better or worse than Leonard and Penny's. I was just saying that the relationships are different and each couple has something the other doesn't. Because they are not the same. And that's fine. That's how we want it.  But with that said, I will bow out now. 

Sorry Michy. I get what you are saying though, for the record. :)

Hi I'm Katie! I've been lurking for a while and I feel the need to add some input.

Most of you may know me from Fanforum or Twitter and I'm excited to share my imput.

Pertaining to Shamy, I like how they are being developed in these first few episodes. They are going back to the Shamy that I loved in season 4-5.

I love that they are becoming on the same level again, meaning that they are in synch. A FREAKING 8.2 ON THE TEST?!? I'm a psychology student and most couples get half of that.

THIS IS THE SHAMY THAT I FELL IN LOVE WITH. Don't get me wrong, I love the SIK and SIK 2.0 but I'd rather see them getting closer in this way, than just them having sex (which is something that I will eventually want to see)

Is there any link to the actual test online? (Sorry if this was mentioned already). I'm super curious to see it.

Hi I'm Katie! I've been lurking for a while and I feel the need to add some input.

Most of you may know me from Fanforum or Twitter and I'm excited to share my imput.

Pertaining to Shamy, I like how they are being developed in these first few episodes. They are going back to the Shamy that I loved in season 4-5.

I love that they are becoming on the same level again, meaning that they are in synch. A FREAKING 8.2 ON THE TEST?!? I'm a psychology student and most couples get half of that.

THIS IS THE SHAMY THAT I FELL IN LOVE WITH. Don't get me wrong, I love the SIK and SIK 2.0 but I'd rather see them getting closer in this way, than just them having sex (which is something that I will eventually want to see)

Welcome Katie!

I'm just so happy with how the writers are treating the Shamy in this episode. It's like the same way they treated them in S4: a compatible unit, the brilliant duo, the quirky comrades. They're so fascinating and cute this way. They aren't using their oddness as a source of ridicule any longer. Leonard keeps trying to make jabs at them, but fails hopelessly each time. It's the writers saying, "Yes, they're different, but that's why they're awesome."

When they try to be conventional, Amy and Sheldon both struggle. But when they embrace their uniqueness, they both flourish. I'm glad the writers are choosing to amplify the latter.

• Like 9

Thank you Michy for an amazing taping report :)

The only thing I'm disappointed is they are kissing off screen on date nights and they don't allow us to see even one kiss LOL.

Edited by Jiab Pattira
  • Like 3

Thank you Kazzie and MichyGeary !!!

At first, I read Kazzie's tweets. The last line of Sheldon has not bothered me because I take it as a joke of the writers and Sheldon be Sheldon. It would have been completely out of his personality to response to her request/envy and at the same time I think that even if he does nothing, he heard her (in the way that he may take into account later. But I also understand the disappointment of Kazzie regard to Amy who may have not be satisfied with his answer.

Then I read the taping report last evening. I laughed at some sentences, people in subway looked at me weird.
I love that Sheldon, first, makes up date nights missed due to his journey. Even if he said he is "contractual obligated", remember 6.20 "The Tenure Turbulence", it is implied that he canceled many date nights and nothing seems to say later he will catch up... so a first positive thing !

Then, his pride on their relationship, his arguments, sharing food !, his answer to Leonard about avocado. Like many of you I have made ​​myself with the "absolutely not" and then aaahhhhhh  :-)

After reading all your analyses, I like this episode more and more. Things you pointed out I didn't realize :

- the rarity of the score they have to the test, and a scientific test, not a cosmo style.
- Sheldon comfortable in their relationship and his reasonable and realistic sides instead of the dreamer side of Amy.
- Even if we don't see, they kiss more regularly since they have date nights more regular
- Sheldon makes up dates night to make amends for his departure.
- Sheldon has already shown that it can act as Leonard

I can't wait to see this episode and plenty of shamy moments later in the season.
Edited by CentralPerk
  • Like 4

When I read that line from Amy about, "It would make me happy...", I didn't read it as a complaint, just straight forward communication.   Instead of 'tricking' Sheldon into romance like on Locomotive, she is communicating with him about what she would like, throwing the ball in his court.   I see that as a good thing!  . 

• Like 8

Is there any link to the actual test online? (Sorry if this was mentioned already). I'm super curious to see it.

This is the link to the original paper: http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/57/5/792/

But unfortunately, unless you have access to a university network, you can't see the full text for free. Don't know if anyone found a free version anywhere, I have the pdf but I can't attach it on here I don't think, wouldn't want to get into copyright trouble :p

eta: Actually! I managed to take out only the Appendix with the test. This way I shouldn't be infringing any copyright (I think!). See attached.

test.pdf

Edited by koops
  • Like 6