[Spoilers]Shamy S8 Thread

rachelshamyfan

Well, go back and watch the season 4 interviews and all the things they could never imagine Shamy doing back then ;)

I always get the impression that Jim is a lot more analytical and thinks about the relationship a lot more than Mayim does. He always has these great points and insights whereas Mayim is making jokes and not really taking it all seriously. I love her, don't get me wrong, but I think she goes in and does her lines and that's it whereas Jim really gets down to the bones and turns it inside out to try and understand his character and his relationship with Amy. Even in snippets like this you can see it.

I love Mayim. She's a great actress and all but it's times like this and her attitude towards Shamy that sometimes makes me shake my head and wish they had gotten another actress to play Amy. Someone who would be just as enthusiastic as Jim is about Shamy. But it's too late now so hopefully maybe Jim will take her aside and smack her upside the head and ask "WTF??!! Get with the program!"

Well, go back and watch the season 4 interviews and all the things they could never imagine Shamy doing back then ;)

I always get the impression that Jim is a lot more analytical and thinks about the relationship a lot more than Mayim does. He always has these great points and insights whereas Mayim is making jokes and not really taking it all seriously. I love her, don't get me wrong, but I think she goes in and does her lines and that's it whereas Jim really gets down to the bones and turns it inside out to try and understand his character and his relationship with Amy. Even in snippets like this you can see it.

Yep!! That to me is why he has three Emmy!! He really thinks about what is happening with his character. You have to justify your character doing certain things. If you don't believe it playing it, Its hard to sell it to the viewers. 

Edited by EvilStewie
  • Like 4

Amy exists because Mayim plays her, and SHAMY exists because of Jim and Mayim, no doubt!

Mayim is more cautiosly than Jim when they speak about SHAMY, but remember, she was the first in giving us clues about the SIK train in her Kveller blog! She is in love with Amy and SHAMY, but she is not so big mouth than Jim is!

About EMMY awards: Jim won FOUR, and Mayim has been nominated three consecutive times. Hope she win next!!

SHAMY for ever!

• Like 4

Susana, I just love your positivity about Shamy! Whenever I get discouraged with my ship, I will reread your posts!

I agree, she is more cautious about them, but she does take her work seriously. Otherwise, I don't think she would do as great a job as she does. I guess in interviews she sometimes makes a flippant remark, which is annoying. Maybe Jim is better at articulating his process and Mayim just goes on instinct? I don't think she had any formal training in acting like Jim had. They're both great, though.

Edited by frankie
  • Like 2

I´ve seen interviews where Mayim talks a lot about SHAMY and others where she speaks a few words about it.

But if you follow her in ALL her tweets and posts, trying to read between the lines,  you´ll see she is quite fond of Amy and SHAMY.

And when she is in public with Jim, both of them show the people they are SHAMY! (when they did the bucket thing, they were dressed like SHAMY)

I´ll never forget her AWESOME about 7 x 24. Now, in perspective,¡ she WAS right!

OK the scene where Sheldon hugs Leonard and greets Amy makes me feel a little better, when I first heard it in the taping report it made me mad but its fine, he greets her in a way that he's surprised about like he wasn't expecting her

I feel  ALOT better too about the whole thing!!

• Like 1

I feel like the next alternation in the relationship agreement will be regular kissing (like, SC, here known as the boyfriend and, AFF, here known as the girlfriend have to kiss upon greeting, and leaving).
I don't know what'll happen after that, but I do think regular kissing will be put into the relationship agreement before anything else. I feel like it's already happening anyway.

How cute would it be if they kissed every time they greeted each other? :wub:

Edited by journey into shamy
  • Like 2

I feel like the next alternation in the relationship agreement will be regular kissing (like, SC, here known as the boyfriend and, AFF, here known as the girlfriend have to kiss upon greeting, and leaving).

I don't know what'll happen after that, but I do think regular kissing will be put into the relationship agreement before anything else. I feel like it's already happening anyway.

Regular kissing has already been put into the Relationship Agreement - we found that out in the latter half of Season 7. After the V-Day Locomotion episode, Amy and Sheldon agree to start kissing regularly after Date Night. Steve Molaro, TBBT's show runner, commented on this in an interview. Regular kisses after date night are now firmly implanted into the Relationship Agreement, and according to the spoilers from the first few episodes of the season, Sheldon is making up the date nights he missed while on his trip - and apparently the kisses too, since Leonard has seen it.

So your wish has already been granted - regular kisses are in the Relationship Agreement and Sheldon and Amy are currently going forward as a happy couple who think their relationship is "the best," especially since they aced those test results.

I think that the next hurdle with them will probably be confessing their love to one another; that might happen this season. However, Molaro has also said he's not in any hurry to rush Sheldon and Amy forward. In fact, according to some of his latest statements and interviews this summer, he's not in a rush to move *anything* forward - Leonard and Penny will not be rushing to the alter, Sheldon and Amy will not be rushing to the bedroom, Raj and Emily will not be rushing with Emily, and Howard and Bernadette will not be rushing to the doctor for pregnancy exams. At least not that he is confessing to - and I think he's confessing because he genuinely does not have a big plan for those things. That's not how this writing team works; they brainstorm story ideas, they talk about where things are going, but they move forward rather organically, knowing that they save their biggest moments for the November and February sweeps, and for closing the season.

So far, we can tell that the season is getting off to a very slow start. It's sweet and it's fluffy but as far as story arcs, I'm not entirely sure where it's headed. Penny has a new, grown up job, Howard is confused by his mother taking a new man into her life, Sheldon is trying to makes changes to his career, Emily and Penny hate each other and Raj doesn't know what to do about it, and Sheldon and Amy have made up and are on mutually happy ground after his trip away. Where they are going from here? I think that these writers ask, "where were we last week? What would be funny now?" and they go from there.

• Like 4

@lionne I know kissing after date night got added, but I'm talking about regular kissing as like, every day when they see each other kissing :) Like when they greet. I'd love that.
It's nice that Sheldon's making up for the date nights, but as soon as he's made up for them, the number of kissing will decrease as the date nights become spaced apart again.

The writers did a good job with Shamy last year, and I love the slow burn of their relationship, so come what may, I'd pretty much enjoy it all the same.

• Like 1

I think that both Sheldon and Amy are too smart to put in a clause saying they have to kiss hello and goodbye every time they see each other, and the show is way too smart to paint themselves into that corner as well.

If you have to write that Amy enters a room and they kiss - by force of contract - and then one of them leaves the room and you have to write in another kiss because this is your contract - that is something on the show which is going to get old really quick, and back the writers into a corner. And what if Sheldon says something offensive and Amy storms over and is like, "Hello, Doctor! I am here to give you a piece of my mind!" And SHeldon is like, "great, by contract you have to kiss me first, and then you can start yelling at me."

.......Yeah, right.

That is not believable dialogue, that is not believable in the way people operate, at least not for very long. And Sheldon and Amy, if they write something like that into the contract, will try to obey it even if it's not rational - they will find it gets in their way to kiss every single time they come and go from a room, for instance. They will find they don't feel like it, they will find it makes kissing a forced and therefor not enjoyable act, they will find that kissing all the time like that is stupid and takes the fun out of it, and the writers will quickly point out how ridiculous it is, and it'll be done. It's not going to happen; that is not the next hurdle for these two.

The writers don't have time to waste with all of that kissing with all of the couples on the show. They have 18 minutes and 4 couples - shall we have an episode where all 4 get about 2.75 minutes of screen time in bed, kissing? Is a show like that, written for shippers apparently, going to be enjoyable to watch, or a nightmare? I think that Sheldon and Amy's next journey is going to be an emotional one.

I think that it's clear right now that Amy is very naive, and wants to experience things but she's not sure what those experiences will really be like. I think Sheldon is actually aware of what these things might be like, and he's worried about them, and I think that he wants to trust in Amy entirely and completely and be 100% sure before he leaps any further than he does right now. I think that's why he's so excited about scoring an 8.2 on the test. Because the truth is, it's hard to be entirely positive and sure in any relationship - events and your emotions and such change day to day, even someone as stoic as Sheldon Cooper. Amy might be adorable one second, pushy the next, crabby another, sweet and understanding the next, and annoying the next. I think it's hard for Sheldon to be, "yes, I'm 100% sure of Amy and I" when he might go from feeling annoyed with her to in love with her to completely distracted with his science work and not even thinking of her - and he's not sure what that means or what to make of it. And he needs to experience it and live with it to learn it's normal, and our feelings towards other people is not 100% constant 100% of the time.

I think that Sheldon latches onto things like this 8.2 on a scientifically credible relationship test because it gives him "proof" - and he's a man who needs proof to be convinced - that Amy is the one he can trust completely and is basically the basket into which he can put all of his eggs. Not to mention he also has some serious personal hang ups which are his problem - not hers - which he also knows he has to deal with.

Meanwhile, Amy needs to get more of a grip on the difference between fantasy and reality. Sheldon relaxes and is comfortable with reality with her, but when she pushes him too far, or towards a fantasy, he balks. And to be honest, he's not pushing her towards anything she doesn't want, he's very, very happy with how things currently are, so you can see his point in that.

I think that the deeper the level of emotional honesty and openness and trust, the more these two will sink into each other and their relationship will expand as well as their sexual desire for each other. I don't know if the show will go in that direction, but I have a sense that's what they are slowly, painfully slowly, circling around to with both of them, and I expect more of that this season and I expect a lot of it to be subtle and very "Shamy" in the way it happens. Quirky, hard to understand, I think that their honesty and trust in each other will be mistaken for clinical detachment as it very often is by their friends and fans alike, but I don't think that the writers are necessarily going to care. They don't write for the people who don't understand Shamy, they write for the Shamy that they created and the very unique and odd duck coupling that it is, and will always be.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 9

True, but I didn't necessarily mean it like that. Like, not when they leave the room, but just upon greeting and saying goodbye, like most couples do anyway. "Hello! *kiss*!" *See you tomorrow, *kiss*" But just like with the date nights kissing, we don't always have to see them. Like, if Sheldon goes to Amy and sees her for the 4th time that day, kissing would not be a requirement. But if he had seen her in the morning, the first time there would be a kiss. I didn't mean like constant kissing, just once when they first see each other, and one last one (like with the date night kissing, as a way to say goodbye and 'til tomorrow').

Kissing when they're angry would be strange, yes, but by that logic, what if they're annoyed with each other after a date night? Would they still have to kiss? It is in the RA. It's weird, right? You could say, no matter what mood they're in, they'd have to kiss because their date night kisses are in the RA. It wouldn't be too different if they had to kiss once in the morning, once in the evening, or in general twice a day if put under the RA.

The writers wouldn't even have to write it in because in most Shamy scenes now, it immediately cuts to them hanging out anyway. It's not like "Ok, Shamy scene, Amy walks through door and they say hello", as that already is a waste of time. Writers tend to cut out the unnecessary parts, and skip right to the heart of the story, or the action, to save on time.

So, if we've see Amy and Sheldon in a scene, we could argue that they've already kissed, we just didn't see it because there'd be no reason to see them greet each other all the time. It wouldn't be like, "Shamy greets. Okay, now we can go to the actual scene!" No, they'd skip ahead to the actual scene, and we can assume they kissed.

Again, but the logic of 'wasting time of couples kissing', we'd see every date night kiss, but we don't, because that is a waste of time. I'm not saying we should see every kiss they initiate, but to have it known that it happens? That's nice.

I'm only saying this because 1/ It would be cute, but whatever. 2/ I read a study that shows that men that kiss their wives in the morning before work live longer than those that don't. Plus it boosts oxytocin, and the immune system. These are all scientific factors that I feel are important (and honestly, they'd be the reason I would kiss anyone, but I don't like the idea of kissing, so yeah).

Shamy are the odd duck coupling, and that's what we love about them :)

• Like 2

LMAO - The thing is, I could totally see Sheldon reading a study like that and deciding he has to kiss Amy every morning - it's for his health and longevity! And doesn't the world need Dr. Sheldon Cooper in it as long as possible? He would love and probably obey reasoning like that.

And I think what you are talking about is a place that Sheldon and Amy can get to, but I think that when they get there they will find it confusing at first. I would like to see something like that on the show, where Sheldon and Amy have gotten used to these date night kisses and kissing from time to time and are enjoying it.

They might be somewhere with the group and they decide they are going to split up; guys are going to go one place and the girls another, and Sheldon and Amy turn to each other to give a quick goodbye and kiss spontaneously and casually for the first time, and then start to walk away....and then they stop, and glance back over their shoulders at each other with a, "did that just happen?" look, and then they smile secretly at each other and go their own way.

And maybe that would be an acknowledgement of where it begins, or that it's beginning...but I think that's something they will have to work on gradually and when it happens it won't be something in the RA. I think what you are talking about is growing out of the RA somewhat, into how they handle casual situations and things that don't have hard and fast rules. Like a kiss in the morning and a kiss goodnight in the evening is easy to time and have a hard and fast rule for, but things like we have to kiss when we see each other for the first time during the day or come and go but not if it's the 4th time in the day or the 6th time in the day - those are things which get too murky for people like Sheldon and Amy, who like logical rules to follow and such.

I think that putting out there, "okay, what if we have a rule that we can just kiss each other if we feel like it?" is something that Amy might IC toss out there and Sheldon might panic over because it's way too hippie dippy for him to deal with. Honestly, that could be a very funny episode and issue for them to come to terms with in their relationship. But it's the sort of thing that would be difficult because it obeys spontaneous feelings and implicit emotional sense of a situation rather than a straight-forward rule, and both of these characters have a really hard time reading things like that, and Sheldon in particular gets very anxious over it.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 6

LMAO - The thing is, I could totally see Sheldon reading a study like that and deciding he has to kiss Amy every morning - it's for his healthy and longevity! And doesn't the world need Dr. Sheldon Cooper in it as long as possible? He would love and probably obey reasoning like that. And I think what you are talking about is a place that Sheldon and Amy can get to, but I think that when they get there they will find it confusing at first. I would like to see something like that on the show, where Sheldon and Amy have gotten used to these date night kisses and kissing from time to time and are enjoying it. They might be somewhere with the group and they decide they are going to split up; guys are going to go one place and the girls another, and Sheldon and Amy turn to each other to give a quick goodbye and kiss spontaneously and casually for the first time, and then start to walk away....and then they stop, and glance back over their shoulders at each other with a, "did that just happen?" look, and then they smile secretly at each other and go their own way. And maybe that would be an acknowledgement of where it begins, or that it's beginning...but I think that's something they will have to work on gradually and when it happens it won't be something in the RA. I think what you are talking about is growing out of the RA somewhat, into how they handle casual situations and things that don't have hard and fast rules. Like a kiss in the morning and a kiss goodnight in the evening is easy to time and have a hard and fast rule for, but things like we have to kiss when we see each other for the first time during the day or come and go but not if it's the 4th time in the day or the 6th time in the day - those are things which get too murky for people like Sheldon and Amy, who like logical rules to follow and such. I think that putting out there, "okay, what if we have a rule that we can just kiss each other if we feel like it?" is something that Amy might IC toss out there and Sheldon might panic over because it's way too hippie dippy for him to deal with. Honestly, that could be a very funny episode and issue for them to come to terms with in their relationship. But it's the sort of thing that would be difficult because it obeys spontaneous feelings and implicit emotional sense of a situation rather than a straight-forward rule, and both of these characters have a really hard time reading things like that, and Sheldon in particular gets very anxious over it.

I agree completely, and this is what I meant. I like the RA, but slowly growing out of it is wonderful. Somewhat like a caterpillar and its cocoon :) Shamy need to one day emerge like the butterflies they are. Or is that super cliché?

And yes! The kissing "We should just kiss when we feel like it, and both of us consent" would be perfect in the RA, once they've reached that stage. I'm sure that'll happen someday.

Bolded the bit that made me smile real big.

• Like 3

I agree completely, and this is what I meant. I like the RA, but slowly growing out of it is wonderful. Somewhat like a caterpillar and its cocoon :) Shamy need to one day emerge like the butterflies they are. Or is that super cliché?

And yes! The kissing "We should just kiss when we feel like it, and both of us consent" would be perfect in the RA, once they've reached that stage. I'm sure that'll happen someday.

Bolded the bit that made me smile real big.

Yes and no.

First and foremost, let me make this clear: Sheldon and Amy are never going to be "fixed" and end up "normal." Both of them hit somewhere on the autistic spectrum - they are "spectrumy." And I am not going to get into a debate about autism here, but I will say that the writers and the show have never denied that Sheldon and Amy might have autism, their line is, "we won't label them," which is quite different. And I don't need to label them either, I will only go as far as saying that both characters are "spectrumy" and they have some classic problems and issues, socially, which most people can navigate much better than they can. Even if you want to deny that Sheldon and Amy hit somewhere on the autism spectrum, you cannot deny that they just not very socially intuitive characters. Sheldon in particular, but also Amy, does not always understand it when they annoy or bewilder other people, and are not known for having the best filters. I don't think that either one of them will ever, ever "emerge as butterflies" and become these different people.

I don't Sheldon has a secret internal switch that is going to flip and turn him into a hot, red-blooded sex God. (Please don't hate me, fan fic writers, but no, you have never convinced me.) I don't think that Amy has a switch inside of her which is going to flip and turn her into a man-eating super sexpot. I don't know how many times we need to see Amy enjoying things about the Relationship Agreement until we understand that it's not just Sheldon's document anymore, or some contract he's got her locked to. It's perfectly clear that Amy has had input into that document now, and she finds the binding contract hot as hell. I don't think that either of these characters are going to see some of the social limitations or unique points of view or other issues just drop away one day. Like I have made fun of in fan fic before - we are not going to see these characters finally engage in sex just for Sheldon to say, "Why thank you for the fabulous coitus, Dr. Fowler. You've cured me of all of my neurosis, phobias, and other issues." Neither character is really that far off now than where they will be after or before they have sex; the issue is the trust that they have in each other and how deep their relationship is, but as people in it I expect them to stay the same.

I will expect some form of the RA will always be there. They will talk over everything, and they will have explicit rules, and they will follow those rules because they were honest, brutally honest sometimes, in how they feel and what they want, and so those rules work for them. They have built the RA through a lot of discussion and trail and error and honesty and integrity and working it out through negotiation, compromise, and mutual respect. This is part of why I ship them.

On the other hand, there is also those situations that cannot be foreseen and which no document can create all the rules for. I do agree with what you are saying that Sheldon and Amy can get a little more fast-and-loose about the rules as they grow more comfortable with each other. To be frank, we already see that and have for a long time. They break certain rules all the time, particularly in moments when they are feeling very strong emotions - and they allow the other person in the couple room for those emotions too. When Amy kissed Sheldon after being given the tiara, he did not chide her. When Sheldon took Amy's hand while Howard was blasting into space, she did not chide him. The rules are sometimes broken, and sometimes because those rules are broken they get rewritten into something new. So the it's a living document, not something set in stone, which changes as their relationship grows. The more they trust each other, the more they will be able to deal with larger problems that arise, or be a little more loose or comfortable. But only to a certain degree - they are never going to blossom into something that they are not.

I don't really know you well enough to know just how far you want them to go, so I am sorry if I am misreading anything you have written. On the forum or in fan fiction there is a lot of.....I don't know....a lot of "rewriting" of who Sheldon and Amy are as characters into something they are not just for people to be able to project their personal fantasies onto them, or to get their rocks off on the fantasy sex life. I love Sheldon and Amy as they are, and I enjoy watching a sitcom, and I get twerked when people want to turn it into a soap-sitcom with a lot of melodrama and angst and have both characters turn into people they are not. I don't push back on it all the time, because I know that the writers of this show are never going to go "there," in terms of where some people take these two characters. (I want to see Sheldon and Amy riding naked on horseback on the beach in the moonlight while drinking tequila and speaking French in a way that is both sassy and hot and passionate and then there's sex - so much sex - but no uncomfortable sand. Because that would not be sexy. I don't have to fear this actually happening on TBBT. Although I get perplexed by people who want something like this.)

I think you and I basically are acknowledging the same thing; over time, the rules of timing of kissing might become more loosey-goosey. Things, like casual touch and such, might happen more spontaneously. If they start cuddling on the couch every time they watch a scary movie, they might just start cuddling on the couch all the time. Wouldn't that be interesting? Couldn't they grow into that sort of thing given time and experience?

Sure. Maybe a little. But maybe not. Neither of them actually seem like big cuddle bunnies actually, and that might just be who they are. Do you see what I mean? It's quite possible that Amy and Sheldon will never be the sort of people who even want to cuddle on the couch every time they watch a movie; they might be people who are perfectly happy just sitting next to each other on the couch and find sharing a bowl of popcorn together as romantic as it gets. My question is: if that is who they are, will that be good enough for some people? Will Sheldon and Amy just be allowed to be Sheldon and Amy, the couple of weirdos, or will people demand them to act in some way which is more romantic or cute and cuddly and hell with the fact it's out of character for these two?

• Like 6

I am pretty confident we will see a non-date night closing kiss (I think more passionately) at some point this season. I do think their next kiss will fall into November sweep.

The show is not designed to have any couple be kissing all the time. That wouldn't work

I do believe in the later half some serious stuff will be brought to the table for Shamy leading them to get more deeper into their emotional future and ultimately their intimacy future. Now I don't think they are heading to the bedroom till at least middle of season 9 (really think it will be around the Lenny wedding, 200th episode mark in Feb 2016).

They both have their own hangups and I think season 8 will start peeling away these issues. Already we have seen Sheldon feel pretty confident in their relationship, him consider her almost as a wife/fiancée and care about what she thinks of him. I think back to that Spiderman quote he said on date night in season 6. He does want to be a better man for her. And all the above notes show to me at least he is working towards that.

Now Amy has I think a big trust issue with him now that he did leave without saying goodbye. I think her confidence in the relationship has gone down from last year. This is another sign towards a role reversal situation in their relationship. And we know she doesn't know his true feelings for her (she doubts it a lot). Until that is done (some form of ILY declaration) will she be able to really emotionally move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 7

I am pretty confident we will see a non-date night closing kiss (I think more passionately) at some point this season. I do think their next kiss will fall into November sweep.

The show is not designed to have any couple be kissing all the time. That wouldn't work

I do believe in the later half some serious stuff will be brought to the table for Shamy leading them to get more deeper into their emotional future and ultimately their intimacy future. Now I don't think they are heading to the bedroom till at least middle of season 9 (really think it will be around the Lenny wedding, 200th episode mark in Feb 2016).

They both have their own hangups and I think season 8 will start peeling away these issues. Already we have seen Sheldon feel pretty confident in their relationship, him consider her almost as a wife/fiancée and care about what she thinks of him. I think back to that Superman quote he said on date night in season 6. He does want to be a better man for her. And all the above notes show to me at least he is working towards that.

Now Amy has I think a big trust issue with him now that he did leave without saying goodbye. I think her confidence in the relationship has gone down from last year. This is another sign towards a role reversal situation in their relationship. And we know she doesn't know his true feelings for her (she doubts it a lot). Until that is done (some form of ILY declaration) will she be able to really emotionally move forward.

sorry! But I have to do this! It is a paraphrase from Spiderman that he says

Something Peter Parker says to Harry about MaryJane, but Sheldon says it a little different so it better fits his situation with Amy. I still think that he actually feels that way even if he was referencing a movie.

Edited by boys3allc
  • Like 1

sorry! But I have to do this! It is a paraphrase from Spiderman that he says

Something Peter Parker says to Harry about MaryJane, but Sheldon says it a little different so it better fits his situation with Amy. I still think that he actually feels that way even if he was referencing a movie.

Sorry yes I know it's Spider-Man man a typo. But either way I think it was true in what the words meant