The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
3ku11

[Spoilers]Leonard And Penny Season 8 Thread

Well it looks like they kisses in Space Probe pictures even if it's not shown on the actual episode.

Not exactly Lenny after dark, but it looks like a cute episode. Really cute kiss that we won't get to see. But Penny looks very concerned that Leonard is crying.

Lenny after dark? Theirs a R18 version of Big Bang? Haha

I've watched two tapings and one public event with Johnny and Kaley having big interactions, I'm no expert nor do I claim to have any deep insight to them but...

What is happening or not happening with Lenny must be all on the writers and the director and so on because they are there directing, requesting, suggesting changes, not only to the lines but to how they interact on each scene. For every scene, I've seen Johnny and Kaley being professional, listening, talking and suggesting as well. They are serious actors and I don't think there are issues with being intimate or portraying affection as they seem pretty comfortable around each other. Laughing and playing and talking.

I haven't seen a point of contention and I agree completely with Tensor and they will get in a lot of trouble for being unprofessional. Kaley has even described her transition with Johnny as "elegant".

The writers though, are the ones who call the shots. I think that questioning should be directed towards them.

Fair enough thats where my speculations you could say was slated towards. The writers and Tptb.

Fair enough thats where my speculations you could say was slated towards. The writers and Tptb.

But at the time leading up to this taping others (including myself) thinking that there were other factors besides the writers and tptb was a possibility. I think the prom episode really stuck out to me. I'm glad I was wrong though.

Haven’t been on the post much this season, really busy at work but mostly because of my disappointment with Lenny in season 8 (I’m not even going to mention Kaley cutting off that beautiful hair of hers). It’s like the TPTB know now that they are in engaged they can’t break them up (I hope) like they did in season 3 to drag their relationship out but they need to do something until the “nutjob” child of theirs grows up. So they give us  just enough to keep our hopes up and keep watching but not enough that they have to either get married or at least move in together. Because if they showed intimacy that naturally would be the normal progression (and we all know Lenny is the most natural couple on the show). So they are now playing a stalling game and playing with fire at the same time. They are well aware what the Lenny shippers want, I would think they perform all kinds of studies to keep the show relevant with the different sections of the audience and still be able to tell their story as they see it progressing.

The problem is that although their ratings show them still on top they are in fact lower. Therefore, one could surmise that the audience is getting as weary of a certain aspect of the show that I will keep nameless as we Lenny shippers are. I have no idea what the writers and TPTB are thinking but I personally haven’t been as dismayed with a season since they broke them up in season 3 and that dreadful season four final. The fact of the matter is that Lenny is the main couple yet this season they aren't being portrayed that way...very disappointing. :( 

• Like 5

Haven’t been on the post much this season, really busy at work but mostly because of my disappointment with Lenny in season 8 (I’m not even going to mention Kaley cutting off that beautiful hair of hers). It’s like the TPTB know now that they are in engaged they can’t break them up (I hope) like they did in season 3 to drag their relationship out but they need to do something until the “nutjob” child of theirs grows up. So they give us  just enough to keep our hopes up and keep watching but not enough that they have to either get married or at least move in together. Because if they showed intimacy that naturally would be the normal progression (and we all know Lenny is the most natural couple on the show). So they are now playing a stalling game and playing with fire at the same time. They are well aware what the Lenny shippers want, I would think they perform all kinds of studies to keep the show relevant with the different sections of the audience and still be able to tell their story as they see it progressing.

The problem is that although their ratings show them still on top they are in fact lower. Therefore, one could surmise that the audience is getting as weary of a certain aspect of the show that I will keep nameless as we Lenny shippers are. I have no idea what the writers and TPTB are thinking but I personally haven’t been as dismayed with a season since they broke them up in season 3 and that dreadful season four final. The fact of the matter is that Lenny is the main couple yet this season they aren't being portrayed that way...very disappointing. :(

Ratings have been down for tv overall about 3% so its not just Big Bang. And it has nothing to do with any select characters. And personally I had no issue with Lenny breaking up in S3. It was a neccessary evil, for them to grow indvidually. I respect your point of view. But personally I see no issue with Lenny this season TPTB IMO are doing a fine job. They have been together basically 8 years. They have developed them to the point, they are a rock in a hard place. I just think the writers have no idea what to do with them. But I am sure that well change when parents are brought in. 

• Like 1

I would like to take this moment to wish all of my fellow Lenny shippers a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! May 2015 bring everyone health, wealth and all their dreams come true! :)

• Like 9

I would like to take this moment to wish all of my fellow Lenny shippers a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! May 2015 bring everyone health, wealth and all their dreams come true! :)

Best wishes to you too.☺

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

happy holidays to all Lennies and all the fans of the greatest show on earth called The Big Bang Theory. 

Sodidlwin, i agree with you.  This season has been very disappointing for Lenny, exception of the prom episode.   Normal engaged couples do show intimacy, extremely odd this season Lenny have not kissed on camera, so hopefully greater things are in store for them for the second half of the season.  The upcoming episode seems to show that.  

• Like 4

Those big slippers she was wearing with the short black dress were too cute.

• Like 1

Kaley is so cute in those pictures even with the faces she is pulling. Damm, so adorable,

and Johnny, for once is actually smiling.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SodidIwin?  Just so you aren't thinking of the wrong numbers, here's the following. For demos, for non-sports programs, TV viewing overall is down 11%, Broadcast TV viewing of original programs is down 7%,  and The Big Bang Theory is down 13%, for live + Same Day numbers.  While that is down, it's so far ahead of everything else it's silly.   TBBT has a 4.57 demo for the season.   The two closest in demo are Modern Family at 3.4 (down 11%)   and The Voice at 3.20 (down 17%).  Modern Family, with 10 episodes broadcast, has not broken a 4.0 yet this year.    The Voice, has broadcast 26 episodes (and is done until the spring) and only five of those hit a 4.0.  The average of those five is 4.05.  

TBBT is the only non-sports program,  which is regularly scheduled, to not have at least one episode below a 3.0 this year.  Out of eleven episodes, eight are 4.0-4.9, and it has one 3.9.  That low point of 3.9 is higher than every episode of Modern Family.  The other two episodes?  They were both over 5.0, the only show to get over a 5.0 this year.   TBBT's AVERAGE (4.57) is higher than the highest single show demo of every other non-sports show.

So while I agree with your disappointment in the way Lenny has been portrayed, I can't quite convince myself, on the basis of the ratings numbers, that it has anything to do with the Lenny depiction.  More like the trend of overall viewing.    The only way we can get a glimpse is that is the reason, would be to see the ratings as the season goes on, and if Lenny gets more air time.  

Tensor

• Like 3

Nice to see some recognition for the proposal and the Lenny relationship on the inter webs. Usually they get trashed. (Interesting the Shamy Kiss was beaten by Oliver and Felicity from Arrow for best first kiss).

Anyway, thought I'd get back into the swing of things after my fabulous holiday by posting here.

Just watched the Christmas ep ( first thing I did after I hopped off plane and got home) and what interested me most was how much dialogue was dedicated to the Shamy expressing their love for each other in front of the gang. It reminded me of how often skull stresses this is not a romcom to justify the emotionless portrayal of engaged Lenny this season and yet we got three big scenes with Sheldon and/or Amy publicly professing how they feel and seeing the awww sweet reactions from the friends.

It struck me because while in Season 6 and 7 ( and even Prom in s8) Penny and Leonard had some great private moments, they rarely get the acknowledgement from their friends or openly express their feelings for each other in front of them. It's often the opposite- Howard and Raj belittled their relationship as Leonard tricking Penny to come back to him in Focus, Sheldon still downplaying it to BillyBob Thortons doctor character, Sheldon still considering his relationship with Leonard as more important, the Lenny being ranked below Raj and his dog, the engagement announcement was given 5 seconds of excitement before being dismissed for Rajs news. To be honest, the best recognition of their relationship came from the least important friend, Stewart, during the murder mystery episode.

So it would be nice in the second half of the season to see their friends openly acknowledge the Lenny love in some way and show their excitement for them like they are for Sheldon and Amy, Raj and like they did for Howard and Bernie. The Lenny relationship gets dismissed to easily because of this bogus idea of inevitability/end game or it gets begrudgingly acknowledged but still with a sense of disbelief it has happened . I'd love just one episode this season , maybe Valentines Day, that CELEBRATES Lenny and have all the gang talk about its specialness. And don't tell me that makes it a romcom. This latest Christmas ep was pretty heavy on the treacle with Shamy.

I'd love Leonard talking with Howard and Raj and them really expressing how great it is to see him and Penny so happy together without making fun of how unbelievable it is. There can still be plenty of jokes around this conversation. I'd REALLY love to see the new improved, able to express real emotions, Sheldon on the couch with Lenny finally acknowledging sincerely that Leonard and Penny's relationship is great, that Penny is great for Leonard and that it was time for them to move on without him ( the last part is wishful thinking probably and maybe a season away still).

You can say this show is not about schmaltz and sentimentality and overall it isn't. But you can't say that when you can bring out Shamy's love spell conversation, their Prom ILY, this latest episode, Howard's apology behind the door to Bernadette via Penny, the Howard Dad letter scenes, the Bernadette song, Howardette's wedding vows, Penny's box of memories, the Shelnard hug as examples of sweet moments amongst all the snark and sarcasm. I just think it's long overdue to give Lenny a public acknowledgment of how special they are. And it doesn't even need a kiss!

• Like 7

Nice to see some recognition for the proposal and the Lenny relationship on the inter webs. Usually they get trashed. (Interesting the Shamy Kiss was beaten by Oliver and Felicity from Arrow for best first kiss).

Anyway, thought I'd get back into the swing of things after my fabulous holiday by posting here.

Just watched the Christmas ep ( first thing I did after I hopped off plane and got home) and what interested me most was how much dialogue was dedicated to the Shamy expressing their love for each other in front of the gang. It reminded me of how often skull stresses this is not a romcom to justify the emotionless portrayal of engaged Lenny this season and yet we got three big scenes with Sheldon and/or Amy publicly professing how they feel and seeing the awww sweet reactions from the friends.

It struck me because while in Season 6 and 7 ( and even Prom in s8) Penny and Leonard had some great private moments, they rarely get the acknowledgement from their friends or openly express their feelings for each other in front of them. It's often the opposite- Howard and Raj belittled their relationship as Leonard tricking Penny to come back to him in Focus, Sheldon still downplaying it to BillyBob Thortons doctor character, Sheldon still considering his relationship with Leonard as more important, the Lenny being ranked below Raj and his dog, the engagement announcement was given 5 seconds of excitement before being dismissed for Rajs news. To be honest, the best recognition of their relationship came from the least important friend, Stewart, during the murder mystery episode.

So it would be nice in the second half of the season to see their friends openly acknowledge the Lenny love in some way and show their excitement for them like they are for Sheldon and Amy, Raj and like they did for Howard and Bernie. The Lenny relationship gets dismissed to easily because of this bogus idea of inevitability/end game or it gets begrudgingly acknowledged but still with a sense of disbelief it has happened . I'd love just one episode this season , maybe Valentines Day, that CELEBRATES Lenny and have all the gang talk about its specialness. And don't tell me that makes it a romcom. This latest Christmas ep was pretty heavy on the treacle with Shamy.

I'd love Leonard talking with Howard and Raj and them really expressing how great it is to see him and Penny so happy together without making fun of how unbelievable it is. There can still be plenty of jokes around this conversation. I'd REALLY love to see the new improved, able to express real emotions, Sheldon on the couch with Lenny finally acknowledging sincerely that Leonard and Penny's relationship is great, that Penny is great for Leonard and that it was time for them to move on without him ( the last part is wishful thinking probably and maybe a season away still).

You can say this show is not about schmaltz and sentimentality and overall it isn't. But you can't say that when you can bring out Shamy's love spell conversation, their Prom ILY, this latest episode, Howard's apology behind the door to Bernadette via Penny, the Howard Dad letter scenes, the Bernadette song, Howardette's wedding vows, Penny's box of memories, the Shelnard hug as examples of sweet moments amongst all the snark and sarcasm. I just think it's long overdue to give Lenny a public acknowledgment of how special they are. And it doesn't even need a kiss!

Is this take shots at poor 3ku11 week lol. For the record I do agree mostly. But on the whole their friends acknowledging their love etc. Their is a case apart from the disbelief they actually made it work. That deep down they look up to Lenny as the surrogate couple of the group. The core couple of the group. So in an unspoken way their is a sense of inevitablity. Because they now presume they are the strongest couple they know. So it requires no altruist or external acknowledgement. Just a thought. Stuart not as close can openly see that.

As for Lenny diminished role in terms of big scenes and dialogue. Is their also a case to be made they have been lost in all the noise? You know theirs now 7 characters, four couples etc. More storyline possibilities with characters and couples they haven't focused on as much as they have with Lenny 1-7. So they have been put in the background purposly. As now they are engaged off, maybe from a creative stand point. They dont know what to do with them. Just a thought. So they are relying on old gags like inserting Sheldon etc.

Is this take shots at poor 3ku11 week lol. For the record I do agree mostly. But on the whole their friends acknowledging their love etc. Their is a case apart from the disbelief they actually made it work. That deep down they look up to Lenny as the surrogate couple of the group. The core couple of the group. So in an unspoken way their is a sense of inevitablity. Because they now presume they are the strongest couple they know. So it requires no altruist or external acknowledgement. Just a thought. Stuart not as close can openly see that.

As for Lenny diminished role in terms of big scenes and dialogue. Is their also a case to be made they have been lost in all the noise? You know theirs now 7 characters, four couples etc. More storyline possibilities with characters and couples they haven't focused on as much as they have with Lenny 1-7. So they have been put in the background purposly. As now they are engaged off, maybe from a creative stand point. They dont know what to do with them. Just a thought. So they are relying on old gags like inserting Sheldon etc.

I must admit, I've read a few barbs thrown at you during my break, skull old chum, but I hardly feel my post is taking a shot at you. I was just referencing your oft used rom com statement, which I generally agree with, but here bring up examples when the show occasionally can be. Save your angst for the real shots, mate

And I think your reply reinforces the point. "Deep down", "unspoken". That's the issue for the Lenny community. The whole relationship is offscreen, implied, assumed. And I personally get it. But it would be nice to see it onscreen, explicit, obvious occasionally as well. I'm not in the potential Lenny Suicide Squad over this. I'm absolutely loving Season 8 and don't need wall to wall Lenny to enjoy watching the show. But as I said in the Lenny So Far thread yesterday, and you've just said here, the writers appear to have run out of ideas when there still is plenty to write for Lenny.

• Like 1