[Spoilers]Leonard And Penny Season 8 Thread

3ku11

I hope no breakup, but I wouldn't put it past the writers.

I am feeling like you. I want to ask, who liked the lack of support Leonard gave Penny last season when she quit the Cheezecake Factory for acting, I sure didn't. Yet now they do it again and have Will comment on it, why? Why do it the same way, why couldn't they have Penny having a crisis about what to do, then have Leonard push her to follow her dream? They could have made that funny. I hope the scene comes off better in the episode, but again I don't understand why they even got engaged anymore.

• Like 3

I don't expect to change your mind on anything SRAM, one thing you've been is consistent in your dislike of how Season 8 has gone for Lenny, I but I'll still say I think you are overreaching on the drama front just a tad with this one. The Leonard lack of support in Season 7 lasted a few scenes and the rest of the season he was right behind her decision. A bit of Leonard dummy spitting in this episode does not translate to a breakup. Maybe save the doom and gloom until after the episode airs. Maybe it's my half glass full attitude to the show, but I saw nothing but funny in the premise of the plot. But opinions.......we all have them and they're not fact until after the event so stay tuned.

• Like 6

I actually agree with 3ku11 on this one espicially since Leonard's from Jersey. you could have Penny shoot the movie and Leonard visiting family. I get the connection with Wheaton but that was season 3 not 8. Penny's still wants to be an actress but Leonard is correct by suggesting this isn't go to lead to an Oscar.

I can't see a breakup up over this particular scenario. If Leonard loves Penny (which I think he does) he'll wind up supporting her. Will be good to see a return to acting for Penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

When Penny wonders why Leonard isn't supporting her in this, he tells her that he's just trying to protect her from getting her heart broken by acting again. It didn't feel mean spirited or like they were going to break up over it. Leonard's just more cautious than Penny, as usual, and doesn't want to see her sad again like she was last season I think.

Thanks for the TR. Can't wait to watch it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Love that Penny has been able to save what sounds like an a** load of money with this pharma sales job! It would be so perfect if she could go back and forth between that and acting--earn some cash/do a cult style movie! She could be Kevin Smith's go to actress for roles in his quirky films!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 4

When Penny wonders why Leonard isn't supporting her in this, he tells her that he's just trying to protect her from getting her heart broken by acting again. It didn't feel mean spirited or like they were going to break up over it. Leonard's just more cautious than Penny, as usual, and doesn't want to see her sad again like she was last season I think.

I guess I'll wait to make any more comments until I see it. Thanks for the TR, by the way.

Also don't I get some brownie points for suggesting previously that it would be great if SA became a cult film and got her other parts?l

• Like 4

I can see this job for Penny going one of three ways:

1.  She is a success and this is her career for the rest of the show.  I don't want to see that happening because after the first excitement, it will just get boring, I think.

2.  Penny at first does well using her looks and flirting, but then when she won't put out, she fails and the whole thing is a failure.  I don't want that to happen either, Penny failing is depressing and not funny.

3.  The job becomes a stepping stone for Penny, it makes her feel good about herself and she puts some money away to support herself (she actually listens to Leonard), because she is still not done with acting and goes back to it as soon as she gets a little nestegg.  I like this one.

It looks like I'm getting my wish (number 3).

If the writers are smart I could see them dragging this sales job out a half a season, by making it go by in phases:

First she has to learn a lot which is hard for her and she gets all bitchy with her friends and especially Leonard, until she allows him to help her.

Then once she starts she has trouble getting clients which makes her feel she can't do the job.

Beginning success gives us a now happier Penny.

Big success and money now starts rolling in and she becomes a shopaholic.

Too much confidence, now bragging too much

Boredom, this is not what she wants her life to be.

Sneaking to auditions during work .

Quits to follow her real dream .

Anyway there are eight episodes as sub plots right there, that could make her new job last a half season easily.

I'm really hoping they don't drop Serial Apeist, it would be funny if after the sales job, the movie is released and Penny becomes the star of a movie with a cult following. It would be funny to see her out with Leonard and her get mobbed by a group of people for autographs. It wouldn't get her rich, but it might help her confidence.

Do I look smug....Beacuse I feel smug.

• Like 4

It looks like I'm getting my wish (number 3).

Do I look smug....Beacuse I feel smug.

Show off. Lol

You should sue the writers for infringement of rights. ☺ Marvin Gaye's daughter won $7m for the song blurred lines.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Penny going back to acting just seems so right to me. Her following her dream I think is a big part of the show. I now wonder if the last few episodes are going to be about her quiting her job and getting back to acting. Bernadette may get pissed and I wonder what she is going to do for a car, if she quits her job?

• Like 1

Thank you, Trina.

So very grateful for this added tidbit!

In reading the very initial rather abbreviated TR, it felt like to me that Leonard was coming off rather …. douchy. Like he wasn't fully supporting her in her dream quest, especially when 1) Serial Apeist is a cult hit and; 2) a director specifically calls in and asks Penny to audition. Was afraid we'd have another moment like the few we had last year where Penny maintains Leonard isn't supportive of her dreams and runs off with Sheldon saying only he understands her (gagging, shudder) And admittedly, Leonard didn't quite shine at first in those moments, giving her the odds of acting success rather than just holding her, letting her vent and offering encouragement. Leonard did have a bit of a bumpy start with all that but he did redeem himself beautifully. So I'm very glad for that proviso and it seems that we are seeing Protective Leonard here, thank goodness. 

• Like 2

I hope they keep the L/P stories running - and run them hot. This very natural romance was totally set aside while other things happen. They need to get the juices flowing again - and keep them flowiing by giving them attention. I dont want this to be tokenism or a dead cat bounce.

• Like 9

Slightly off topic, but I'm surprised Grant Gustin (Barry Allen) and Candice Patton (Iris West) from The Flash are even a contender in this.  I've watched all the episodes of that show to date, but I feel Grant and Candice have little to no on screen chemistry together (though to be fair the writing might be at fault on this).  Heck in one episode (them at the karaoke bar was adorable) Grant had more chemistry with Danielle Panabaker (Caitlin Snow) than he had with Candice in all their appearances together.  I'm not sure how they've made it that far on the list outside of being a couple-in-training.  And I certainly don't see how they would even be a threat to Lenny (even IF this is just taking season 8 into account). 

So very grateful for this added tidbit!

In reading the very initial rather abbreviated TR, it felt like to me that Leonard was coming off rather …. douchy. Like he wasn't fully supporting her in her dream quest, especially when 1) Serial Apeist is a cult hit and; 2) a director specifically calls in and asks Penny to audition. Was afraid we'd have another moment like the few we had last year where Penny maintains Leonard isn't supportive of her dreams and runs off with Sheldon saying only he understands her (gagging, shudder) And admittedly, Leonard didn't quite shine at first in those moments, giving her the odds of acting success rather than just holding her, letting her vent and offering encouragement. Leonard did have a bit of a bumpy start with all that but he did redeem himself beautifully. So I'm very glad for that proviso and it seems that we are seeing Protective Leonard here, thank goodness. 

That criticism always makes me roll my eyes.  Saying Leonard wasn't supportive of her dreams is bs, he wasn't 100% supportive of the reckless way she was going about pursuing them.  THAT'S A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.  And lets be honest, Sheldon had NO CLUE about the nuances of what Penny was doing, nor did he put much thought in to them.  But Leonard didn't want to throw away everything he and Penny worked hard to build with each other over the last few years, over a couple bad days/decisions.  While he didn't 100% agree with her decisions, it's important to note that HE DIDN'T FORCE HER to do anything.  He let her come to her senses.  Which SHE DID eventually.

I believe once he saw her regretting NOT taking any work she could get in Serial Apeist 2, he saw that she wanted to COMMIT to this.  Which in turn prompted him to buy her the car (that and he loves her).  The fact that he was willing to be with her through this ON HER WORST DAYS and backed her up EVEN when he didn't agree with her, shows he was commited to her.

Also your significant other is not always there to tell you what you WANT TO HEAR.  Sometimes they are there to tell you what you NEED TO HEAR.

• Like 5

I was concerned about Penny buying Leonard a toy to make him happy in yesterday's episode but it came off better than I thought. Penny was thinking about what makes her feel better (shopping) and just applying it to Leonard's situation, instead of, what I feared, thinking she needed to buy an upset child a toy, like she has done with Sheldon. The helicopter idea was because she knows her man, and guys love flying helicopters. Penny was great, trying to make Leonard feel better all night.

• Like 9

I love how Penny is softer in this scene with her "Baby". Softer hair, softer makeup, softer voice, softer words. I saw a woman very much in love and with genuine concern for her man and a real need to comfort him. Loved them together in this scene! And Penny does have more than one arrow in her quiver!

:kissing:

• Like 7

I love how Penny is softer in this scene with her "Baby". Softer hair, softer makeup, softer voice, softer words. I saw a woman very much in love and with genuine concern for her man and a real need to comfort him. Loved them together in this scene! And Penny does have more than one arrow in her quiver!

:kissing:

Very well said!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 1

Penny was really trying to soften the blow to Leonard and help him. She was really being a supportive partner, also Amy was trying to help from her side too, she really didn't support all of Sheldon's side in the matter. As a couple they were really good, what was different this time was Leonard usually just gives in to Sheldon's stuff, because Sheldon is crazy, but this time he called him out on what he did. I think Penny was a little uncomfortable about the confrontation, but she knew Leonard had a point.

• Like 2

Loved the Lenny in this episode! I thought they were absolutely wonderful together! Loved Penny being so wonderfully supportive of her very upset Pop Tart! Poor 'baby'! She even paid the expedited shipping to get his 'feel better helicopter' there the next day! Loved too when they had their bellies full, sitting side-by-side on the sofa, Penny's leg rested across Leonard's! And when Sheldon was searching on the phone and found the second article that mentioned Leonard, she gave him a little bump on his arm in a sort of a 'See! It's better already!' gesture! Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! Truly happy that we are finally getting these late-in-the-season demonstrative gems!

I LOL when Penny was driving to Mrs. Wolowitz's house and a grumbly Leonard was likening Sheldon to a baby that always needs to get all the attention (sometimes I could swear that TPTB are there lurking, just peeking in on the rumblings of us, those of us in the 700 level seating) and his petulant comment about not letting Sheldon play with the helicopter! 

But surprisingly, what touched me the most was Amy's support of Leonard. When she and Sheldon were walking up the stairs, when they were in the car, and then quickly popping out of her food coma to only ask if Leonard's name was cited on the second article, all were absolutely wonderful! Loved that she consistently mentioned Leonard's all important contribution and challenged Sheldon so he could understand Leonard's distress. Sorry she didn't drive it home when Sheldon mentioned that he 'didn't correct the reporter' about who was the lead scientist but I think Sheldon kind of got the point when she didn't then offer her rote 'not your fault'. Unexpected Lamy goodness! 

Edited by 5Mississippis
  • Like 9