[Spoilers]Leonard And Penny Season 8 Thread

3ku11

There’s two things I’ve kind of wanted to see for the Leonard/Penny relationship and one was addressed with this last taping. 

I’ve wanted them to show that Penny isn’t with Leonard just to settle, or for stability, financial or otherwise. We learn that she’s very set financially, and doing great with a stable career. This makes it clear that she’s with Leonard because she wants to be, she just loves him.

*sings entire chorus of Hallelujah in perfect five-part harmony* *split leap pirouette cartwheel into splits* 

THANK YOU!! This is perfect. This post is excellent. 100%. 

• Like 4

I don't doubt they want to be together, but they are still having to learn how to do it. The business with the money is, to me, an example that Penny hasn't quite got the idea of how to be the best partner. Whopping great secrets are dangerous to a long term relationship. She has successfully arrived at financial independence, which she never had before, and she really didn't think about how that affected them as a unit. No doubt she was proud of herself for being successful. It just would not have hurt to have kept Leonard in the loop. But its not the worst secret to have kept. Leonard will be fine, and if money was a driver for him, he would be on Wall St. Other physicists have gone one to different things. Angela Merkel is a nuclear physicist and she leads Germany. Leonard will be fine, they will have learned something and they will move on.

• Like 1

Leonard will be fine, and if money was a driver for him, he would be on Wall St. Other physicists have gone one to different things. 

Quite a few physicists are headhunted for positions at banks and investment firms.  The math needed to develop the equations for the programs can be quite involved and graduate mathematicians aren't all that available (those firms compete with the NSA for math students).  Banks and such have found that those physics students have the needed math. 

• Like 1

I don't doubt they want to be together, but they are still having to learn how to do it.

Maybe I'm being way too simplistic ( unusual for me ) but isn't this pretty much their 8 season long story.

We expect them to have ironed it out by now but they haven't. And maybe the writers don't want them to because that's the story they've been telling all this time. That might be why season 8 has been so slow for them. The writers don't want this story of them working out how to do it to end.

There’s two things I’ve kind of wanted to see for the Leonard/Penny relationship and one was addressed with this last taping. 

I’ve wanted them to show that Penny isn’t with Leonard just to settle, or for stability, financial or otherwise. We learn that she’s very set financially, and doing great with a stable career. This makes it clear that she’s with Leonard because she wants to be, she just loves him.

Rule 34, can you share the second thing you would like to see happen for the Penny/Leonard relationship?  I love the one you stated. Any lingering doubts have been erased.

It's clear why Penny's with Leonard. "She just loves him."

• Like 3

Maybe I'm being way too simplistic ( unusual for me ) but isn't this pretty much their 8 season long story.

We expect them to have ironed it out by now but they haven't. And maybe the writers don't want them to because that's the story they've been telling all this time. That might be why season 8 has been so slow for them. The writers don't want this story of them working out how to do it to end.

Yes, and the writers also didn't give them anything much to do together, so we saw nothing happening at all. Lately we got the reassurance that they are at least happy in the sack (which has been a staple) and then they bang us on the head from behind with a money issue (another staple but flipped). I think the writers slowed the story down because they were busy elsewhere. This is the "L/P are good so let's just leave them ticking over while we rev up something else" scenario.

My issue is more about momentum. Their story was dead in the water, run out of steam and not even coasting. Nothing was happening. They didn't even sail in circles. Then recently tptb are firing up the boiler to get them moving again. So it's worth being reminded that they are still learning what they are doing and the drama is to re-energise them - because we only had scant information, from which it was simple to conclude they were fine and resolved, bar the actual getting married part. Our Shamy friends have even remarked on the great dearth of L/P. Others in the Shenny camp are now suggesting the gloss has rubbed off and maybe Shenny dreams will be realised. This gives evidence to support the suggestion the lack of L/P action has been noticed widely and that it was open to being interpreted as having meant something bad for the couple. My point was this hiccough isn't dooming them. Redundant perhaps to make the point but then look where we are. Heheh.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

Rule 34, can you share the second thing you would like to see happen for the Penny/Leonard relationship?  I love the one you stated. Any lingering doubts have been erased.

It's clear why Penny's with Leonard. "She just loves him."

The other thing that has bothered me from time to time is the focus on how Leonard is with Penny because she is hot - as if that’s all that matters. There are so many other great things about her character. She has a great heart and is so accepting of her motley little band of weirdos. She’s a lovable gal, for sure, and after having a mother like Beverly, she is exactly the kind of person Leonard needs. 

So, less focus on the superficial is my preference I guess.

That’s been addressed to some degree as well this season, I suppose. She definitely has a more conservative look/style of late, and it hasn’t diminished Leonard’s interest in her at all.

• Like 6

It's funny. That's always been there, but I've never worried about it, in terms of thinking that Leonard's love for Penny is shallow.Her beauty surely drew Leonard to Penny and left him practically breathless and speechless and , yes, he still talks about it and he's proud that he got the pretty girl. "Look at me, dancing with the prettiest girl at the prom." But after watching them interact over the years, and seeing how Leonard treats her, and speaks to her, and smiles at her, and touches her, I don't need anymore proof that Leonard's love for Penny is true and deep and strong.  He loves the inside and the outside. He has never wavered.

(IMO)

• Like 9

It's funny. That's always been there, but I've never worried about it, in terms of thinking that Leonard's love for Penny is shallow.Her beauty surely drew Leonard to Penny and left him practically breathless and speechless and , yes, he still talks about it and he's proud that he got the pretty girl. "Look at me, dancing with the prettiest girl at the prom." But after watching them interact over the years, and seeing how Leonard treats her, and speaks to her, and smiles at her, and touches her, I don't need anymore proof that Leonard's love for Penny is true and deep and strong. He loves the inside and the outside. He has never wavered.

(IMO)

Not to mention all he does without question for her. The fact that Leonard's choice to have dinner with during his & Amy's brief attempt at "the test" is Penny says it all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

The show had a strong focus on  the nerd/hot girl dynamic for a long time, mostly played for laughs. It’s just something that got really tiresome, imo. They’ve evolved passed that, for the most part. The current incarnation of their relationship seems really solid. 

The show had a strong focus on  the nerd/hot girl dynamic for a long time, mostly played for laughs. It’s just something that got really tiresome, imo. They’ve evolved passed that, for the most part. The current incarnation of their relationship seems really solid.

I think the show hasn't played the hot girl card directly since Billy Bob Thornton guest starred. I haven't actually counted the incidence of it lately but before that all I can recall was the egregious comment by the director of "Serial Apist 2". So that is twice in two years. I feel they play the contrast between the academic and the commercial more now. That is, when they play anything. But it sounds like the two are getting more attention in the last few episodes to set up something interesting for the end of the season.

To some extent I hope they would do more with the trophy girlfriend nonsense. It might be entertaining to see Penny at one of Leonard's work functions, being completely at ease and all glamorous. They don't have to make it about her boobs again (season 6?). Maybe if her movie career reboots...

• Like 2

The geek meet hot girl is dry now. They are way past that. I just want to see them happy forever, the love for each other cannot be questioned. They are much more than that now. Leonard makes penny happy in ways that no one else can. Penny make Leonard happy because she is his paradise and when she looks at him she just can't help smiling at her baby. cute_love_3

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 5

come on writers bring Lennys family members, that should be lots of fun. Leonard tipping a cow.

Are you trying to kill Leonard off. Lol. Ĺeonard tipping, I mean trying to will be plain suicide. Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 2

I really want to see Leonard and Penny on a horse, maybe together, Leonard on the back holding on to Penny maybe. She could remind him that there are no cameras, like Disneyland, so he was okay to spin the teacups.

• Like 2

Are you trying to kill Leonard off. Lol. Ĺeonard tipping, I mean trying to will be plain suicide.. We want Leonard in good condition when he marries Penny.

I think it would only kill him if he was on the wrong side when the cow tipped over.... :icon_razz:

• Like 2

I really want to see Leonard and Penny on a horse, maybe together, Leonard on the back holding on to Penny maybe. She could remind him that there are no cameras, like Disneyland, so he was okay to spin the teacups.

That will be so awesome. Would love to see that to end S8. ☺. OK back to the teacups. What do you mean?, like Leonard holding onto those girls for his dear life. Lol.

Edit: May have got the wrong end of the stick here. ☺

Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 1

That will be so awesome. Would love to see that to end S8. ☺. OK back to the teacups. What do you mean?, like Leonard holding onto those girls for his dear life. Lol.

Edit: May have got the wrong end of the stick here. ☺

I was referring to that conversation Penny had with Mary in the laundry room, where Mary sort of asked Penny if she was giving it away to her dates and Penny said that sometimes they only get to spin the teacups, or something like that, of course referring to boobs. So I though if Leonard was on Penny's horse, behind her, holding on.....well the teacups came to mind. I already told people before, I'm a pervert.

• Like 2

I was referring to that conversation Penny had with Mary in the laundry room, where Mary sort of asked Penny if she was giving it away to her dates and Penny said that sometimes they only get to spin the teacups, or something like that, of course referring to boobs. So I though if Leonard was on Penny's horse, behind her, holding on.....well the teacups came to mind. I already told people before, I'm a pervert.

Thanks for explaining. I knew what you meant just wanted cornfirmation. Lol. And you forgot .And Proud. just like me. ☺

Are you trying to kill Leonard off. Lol. Ĺeonard tipping, I mean trying to will be plain suicide.. We want Leonard in good condition when he marries Penny.

ahhahhaha

Leonard riding a  horse, i m not sure, but that would be funny. Then if their twelve year old child shows up suddendly, i could see Leonard flying of the horse because the horse woul be spooked. 

• Like 1

Way, way, way too quiet in here.

Apparently there's a taping tonight and, from what I gather glancing at the Season 8 discussion thread, there has been quite a bit of silence from TPTB and cast concerning it. And we're down to the single digits for shows left.  In this season where the Lenny have been benched (JMO), the last few episodes have featured lovely Lenny, what are your thoughts? Will our Lenny streak continue? Good Lenny juju? Or will they be relegated to benevolently standing behind and smiling over the group like they were in the kitchen at the end of Christmas episode?

Any speculations about tonight's taping? Just trying to generate discussion here.

Personally, with the exception of maybe four shows, this entire season has left me gasping for oxygen like landed fish that is about to be gutted. So I'm really, really hoping for continued good Lenny things.  

• Like 7

Way, way, way too quiet in here.

Apparently there's a taping tonight and, from what I gather glancing at the Season 8 discussion thread, there has been quite a bit of silence from TPTB and cast concerning it. And we're down to the single digits for shows left. In this season where the Lenny have been benched (JMO), the last few episodes have featured lovely Lenny, what are your thoughts? Will our Lenny streak continue? Good Lenny juju? Or will they be relegated to benevolently standing behind and smiling over the group like they were in the kitchen at the end of Christmas episode?

Any speculations about tonight's taping? Just trying to generate discussion here.

Personally, with the exception of maybe four shows, this entire season has left me gasping for oxygen like landed fish that is about to be gutted. So I'm really, really hoping for continued good Lenny things.

Oh thanks for the remainder forgot about this thread. Lol. I hope we get some big lenny I want an Aplot for them it's so due. Also some wedding talks or even a date when it will happen and maybe a trip to see penny's brother because he one of the reasons why lenny is holding back.
  • Like 4

By Jove, I hope something interesting and good happens. I have talked the dearth of L/P to death... or near death. I have even bored myself now on the topic. I will hope to be amazed, and that the recent past doesn't predict the near future. Because I do feel scorned. And it's not like I didn't put in the effort to pay attention. So I really want some juicy bones to be thrown.

• Like 4

I'm hoping the plot around Penny returning to acting might develop further. Who knows the season finale might be a Lenny road trip and in a moment of total spontaneity they decide to get married before going home. We'd probably wind up waiting until the S9 premier to find out if they go through with it. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6