[Spoilers]Leonard And Penny Season 8 Thread

Sorry but I know it's a comedy and it's all about laughs but comedy, drama or whatever the genre is I'm sorry when two people are getting married it's their special day it should be about them celebrating their love. it's shouldn't be ruined for them just for laughs.

You're kidding, right? Weddings have been used as fodder for laughs ever since the sitcom was invented. (This was, in my opinion, best highlighted by the classic hour-long episode of Cheers when Woody and Kelly got married, which took place entirely behind the scenes as Murphy's Law did its best to destroy the whole thing.) Leonard and Penny aren't special little butterflies that are exempt from this sitcom staple. Howard and Bernadette's wedding was used for laughs, and knowing how Chuck Lorre works, I fully expect that Leonard and Penny's will, too, probably in spades. Anyone who expects otherwise is very likely going to be extremely disappointed.

• Like 3

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.seat42f.com/the-big-bang-theory-season-8-episode-8-photos-the-prom-equivalency.html/4

See you tomorrow Mike!!

I agree that she wasn't in love with him at the Halloween party, she was never in the love at first sight mode, like he was. The Halloween party just gave the audience the first proof that there was

Posted Images

Must be an American thing then. They might not be special to you but they are to me. There is a time and a place when a joke is warranted. Howard wedding had little jokes here and there and that was fine because they didn't ruin the wedding for them.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Sorry but I know it's a comedy and it's all about laughs but comedy, drama or whatever the genre is I'm sorry when two people are getting married it's their special day it should be about them celebrating their love. it's shouldn't be ruined for them just for laughs.

You're kidding, right? Weddings have been used as fodder for laughs ever since the sitcom was invented. (This was, in my opinion, best highlighted by the classic hour-long episode of Cheers when Woody and Kelly got married, which took place entirely behind the scenes as Murphy's Law did its best to destroy the whole thing.) Leonard and Penny aren't special little butterflies that are exempt from this sitcom staple. Howard and Bernadette's wedding was used for laughs, and knowing how Chuck Lorre works, I fully expect that Leonard and Penny's will, too, probably in spades. Anyone who expects otherwise is very likely going to be extremely disappointed. And that's pretty much what I'm driving at. The show will never morph into a pure drama. I'm sure Leonard and Penny's wedding will have plenty of touching moments. But Sheldon will be there more than likely, in fact Leonard may have him be best man. And there will be hijinx, laughs with probably some minor laugh inducing drama. Because it's Chuck's style and cause that's Big Bang's style. Trust me, if they managed to insert laughs into the incredibly heavy death related plots for Mrs. Wolowitz, they can and will insert all of the above for Lenny's wedding. All that being said, the writers love these characters and though it won't be the serious romanticized version from a fan fic, I have zero doubt that Lenny's wedding will be beautiful, funny and touching just like the couple they are.

• Like 5

Must be an American thing then. They might not be special to you but they are to me. There is a time and a place when a joke is warranted. Howard wedding had little jokes here and there and that was fine because they didn't ruin the wedding for them.

On the contrary, they are indeed special to me. That being said, I also understand how sitcoms work. They poke fun at modern society. Everything is fair game. Even death is not immune from comedy (even the announcement of Mrs. W's death, as solemn as it was, had Penny's "I really thought he was going to say 'let it go'!" punchline). Your opinion is that Leonard and Penny's wedding should be exempt from this. That's fine, it's your opinion, but once again, it flies in the face of every sitcom wedding I've ever seen, and as such, I'm pretty confident that the Lenny wedding will have "little jokes here and there" that will honor this sitcom tradition.

• Like 3

On the contrary, they are indeed special to me. That being said, I also understand how sitcoms work. They poke fun at modern society. Everything is fair game. Even death is not immune from comedy (even the announcement of Mrs. W's death, as solemn as it was, had Penny's "I really thought he was going to say 'let it go'!" punchline). Your opinion is that Leonard and Penny's wedding should be exempt from this. That's fine, it's your opinion, but once again, it flies in the face of every sitcom wedding I've ever seen, and as such, I'm pretty confident that the Lenny wedding will have "little jokes here and there" that will honor this sitcom tradition.

You are missing my point I get that they are going to be jokes. What I am getting at is they don't ruin it with revolving it around Sheldon and him taking center stage.

• Like 4

You are missing my point I get that they are going to be jokes. What I am getting at is they don't ruin it with revolving it around Sheldon and him taking center stage.

Probably because you didn't express your point in those terms. ;) I agree, I don't want them turning the Lenny wedding into "The Sheldon Show," but you just know they're going to have him say/do something inappropriate at least once. It's too tempting, with Sheldon being the breakout character of the show (for good or ill).

• Like 1

Probably because you didn't express your point in those terms. ;) I agree, I don't want them turning the Lenny wedding into "The Sheldon Show," but you just know they're going to have him say/do something inappropriate at least once. It's too tempting, with Sheldon being the breakout character of the show (for good or ill).

And because Leonard getting married has always been seen by Sheldon as his issue--their wedding will affect him as Leonard moves out or whatever, so you know Sheldon is going to be a major factor one way or the other.

• Like 1

I don't think the writers can write a Lenny wedding without making funny things happen. I wouldn't be surprised that when Penny comes down the aisle she finds Leonard's not there because he is in jail for something Sheldon did on the way to the wedding. So Penny has to bail them out, in her wedding dress, and quickly marry him, at the police station, so at least they can save the reception.

• Like 2

And because Leonard getting married has always been seen by Sheldon as his issue--their wedding will affect him as Leonard moves out or whatever, so you know Sheldon is going to be a major factor one way or the other.

He is going to be part of it whether we like it or not as long as he doesn't ruin it for them. Because that wouldn't be funny.

• Like 1

If Penny gets the acting job, I think Leonard will support her once he wraps his head around it. He does know it was her dream, her passion and I think he could understand how it still is.He wants her to be happy more than he wants $$$. I would love to see her find success in the acting. I think it would relieve some of the Penny "blahs" we've seen and, in the end, make them stronger.

lenny rule :shy:

• Like 2

I wonder if the mums will give Penny any advice.

I hope not Bev's advice would be "don't" and Mary will just talk about not wearing a white wedding dress because I think we all know you're not a virgin!

Although Mary might want to give her some advice on cooking with bacon fat to improve her cooking. She doesn't need to give her tips on manipulating men - she's got that worked out with Leonard already.

Maybe Sheldemort will save the day and stick up for Penny and Leonard on his Mums advice and reiterate to Beverly that they are a great couple despite all the crap he has said about them over the years.

Mainly though I would love Penny to tell Bev to shove it, stick up for Leonard and accelerate the wedding plans.

Of course they may actually have Penny win Bev over again and get Beverly to actually reveal positive stuff about Leonard - but we all know that ain't happening

• Like 5

Mainly though I would love Penny to tell Bev to shove it, stick up for Leonard and accelerate the wedding plans.

Yes to this!

Ideally Penny, but if not Penny, I could see Mary telling off Beverly, mother to mother. I doubt those two would get along well.

• Like 3

I hope not Bev's advice would be "don't" and Mary will just talk about not wearing a white wedding dress because I think we all know you're not a virgin!

Considering that Mary isn't exactly pristine, that would be a bit hypocritical. 

Season 5 episode 6

Mary to Penny: "When I was your age, you could have me for a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine."

• Like 2

Considering that Mary isn't exactly pristine, that would be a bit hypocritical.

Season 5 episode 6

Mary to Penny: "When I was your age, you could have me for a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine."

Yeah. Lol. Mary gets people. A "hate the sin, love the sinner" kind of gal. But both mums have a soft spot for Penny. Or did.
  • Like 3

It will be interesting to see an episode with both of them, and their reaction to the engagement. There, I brought the discussion back to Lenny (though god knows there's been damn little Lenny to discuss this season). Next season we need to include the freedom to complain about the lack of Lenny and not just positive statements about them as part of the thread title. Not saying we need anti-Lenny statements, just the freedom to blow off steam when we're not happy about something. Hail Lenny.

• Like 4

It will be interesting to see an episode with both of them, and their reaction to the engagement. There, I brought the discussion back to Lenny (though god knows there's been damn little Lenny to discuss this season). Next season we need to include the freedom to complain about the lack of Lenny and not just positive statements about them as part of the thread title.

It's not a case of everything having to be positive. Expressing a desire to see more of Penny and Leonard together, or stating someone feels that there hasn't been much of them together during the year is supportive and has been done this year in the thread. What's limited are negative or derogatory statements.

Not saying we need anti-Lenny statements, just the freedom to blow off steam when we're not happy about something. Hail Lenny.

Can you tell us at what point a statement is not just blowing off steam, but becomes anti-Lenny? Some of that is also due to the topic being taken over by back and forth discussions with others who may not appreciate Lenny very much. At some point, almost every one of those discussions either ends up being derogatory toward Lenny or it ends up discussing other characters, and not Lenny. Remember, there is nothing preventing anyone from going to either Shipping Lanes or the season discussion thread and complaining about either the couple or how they have been depicted.

eirwinrommel I'm not picking on your for this, you brought up a couple of points that others have brought up, and it just gave me a chance to clarify a bit. If you wish to discuss this further, either let me know or start a new topic in "The Site" forum and copy and paste this post over to that new topic. So we don't take up space in this thread.

I came hear to say some good things about Leonard and Penny.....

but after seeing the episode last night.... I did'nt have anything to say.....says a lot ....does'nt it....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

Did not really care for last night's show. In this season, we are finally getting little driblets of Lenny and what they are giving us, I'm not really liking. Have only had LENNY pleasure in Prom, Colonization, and Thermalization. I've had very little to enjoy this season, nothing has really kept me hooked. I'm feeling as if I am almost there, being well and truly disenfranchised from the show. FOR ME, the LENNY this season has been absolutely terrible. There are four shows left and next week has Shenny overtones again? Not sure, as I don't think I could bear to revisit the TR. I am at a loss.

• Like 3

I agree with Mississippi.  The Lenny storyline has been kind of weak this year.  I really did not care for the Lenny story last night. It was not funny.  Penny came across as a jerk and Leonard as a whiny baby.

Edited by Oldnavy
  • Like 3

I'm a little torn. While I don't think last night's episode was as bad as it could have been for L&P, we did take a step backwards from the later Season 8 positives. If I recall correctly, they do not have any scenes together in next week's episode. That leaves precious few more until the final. I think that we will end with a bit of a storm for our favorite couple. Penny will probably get the role in the Kevin Smith movie, causing her to be away on location for an extended period of time for filming. Whether Leonard accompanies her or if he stays in Pasadena, things can go either way.

Season 9 may prove interesting Lenny-wise as Season 8 has been for Shamy.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 4