[Spoilers]Leonard And Penny Season 8 Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.seat42f.com/the-big-bang-theory-season-8-episode-8-photos-the-prom-equivalency.html/4

See you tomorrow Mike!!

I agree that she wasn't in love with him at the Halloween party, she was never in the love at first sight mode, like he was. The Halloween party just gave the audience the first proof that there was

Posted Images

Leonard has been regulated to Sheldon's minion and whipping boy this season. Penny suddenly is interested in anything that comes out of Sheldon's mouth. Remember her being scared about being married was brought out by Sheldon's relationship test, which she never took with Leonard, but later took a Love test with Sheldon. This season I think we all know who has been the snake in Lenny's garden.

Sure ignore how it was Leonard that talked penny out of taking that relationship test.

I hate to say it, but I can't disagree with any of that.

It is like the writers discounted the Lenny relationship this season and either used as a filler or as something Sheldon could play off of, to make him funny, and that was very forced this season. I think the only reason we got them alone on the roof was because honestly none of the other couples could have given it the magic that Lenny could, not because the writers wanted a Lenny scene. Actually there was more plot of Sheldon and Penny not wanting to go (Shenny again).

The lack of it is not proof they don't care about them, there could be a million reasons that you wouldn't know of while playing Monday morning quarterback.

I can't figure out why they keep taking cheap shots at Leonard. He spend almost 7 years trying to win penny's heart and it's beggars believe that he would buy her a cheap ring. I have really hated the Leonard bashing by Sheldon courtesy of the writer this season. And Sheldon at any opportunity to put Lenny down or deminish their relationship. One wonders is he jealous of what they got.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

while the cost was interpreted to be cheap. The quality of the diamond wasn't. Bev noted how the ring must have cost a fortune. All Leonard did was allegedly work around the system.

Hello, 

I know I haven't been on much but I figured if I do not take a chance to sleep late today (its 12:04AM here and I have to wake up at 6:00am) then I will not be able to post ever. (I've been busy with my Master's and two jobs, going crazy but we are getting there) 

I read the taping report on the "recycled industrial ring" and I could not help but think of possibilities that I will like for Leonard to explain on why a recycled one, which does not mean that it belonged to someone, since the economy has taken a hit both in Europe and North America, sending diamonds back to the gem houses to be cut and polished once again has been a trend. In 2012, about a billion dollars worth of recycled diamonds was put into the market. So...

1) Could Leonard, which knows about science and the economy, could have looked for an affordable way to buy Penny something more expensive that was industrial rather than natural? (An industrial diamonds runs roughly around $200 a carat, and a natural one might be around $400 or more but pricing on industrial are limited)

2) (I wish for this weird one) Could Leonard have bought a recycled industrial diamond because he wanted to do something to the diamond with his lasers from work and decided to do so with a cheaper version rather than experiment on one from Tiffany's?

3) Could Leonard be working with industrial diamonds (even engineers and several industries have opted lately for diamonds as a new material to use which is more costly but extends tolerance and tool life) and decided to work on getting one for Penny? A special one? Leonard is always the romantic. Think about the possibilities. 

I wish for number 2 but who knows. Maybe I have wishful thinking. But if that is not the case, I'm more interested in the "it doesn't matter" where the ring comes from that Penny mentioned because that is for me more important. She cares more about the significance. So many times people against them have mentioned that Penny is only with Leonard because his pays her bills (I've read it although Penny making lots of money sounded like Penny just playing Leonard so he will accept her going to an audition, but who knows so that might make people stop with that one). 

But yes, for the sake of comedy, Lenny has taken several hits this season. But I do not find them mortifying yet. Let's hope for more Lenny towards the last episodes and a great start for Season 9 later this year. I'm starting to get emotional about this season ending.

And for now I'll stop going all scientific and talking about the diamond market. We must remember that people are buying more diamonds but that is because they do not cost as much. But original diamonds are harder to find, miners and the market in general have taken several hits these past years. No news there considering what we have done as a society with our resources. 

*waves hi to everybody* I've missed hanging out here and posting. Sorry for the long post. 

• Like 5

Hi batman

I don't really know much about diamonds and why Leonard would buy her an industrial one. But thanks for the nice info it helped. It's just the inconsistencies of the writing of Lenny that annoys me and the contradictions. One minute they show leonard as the best fiance to penny ever then then the next minute the worst. This kind of writing is soul destroying for Lenny and as a lenny fan imo. It also begs the question? Why are they treating lenny in this way especially while engaged. If this trend continues , god forbid how they will treat them when they eventually get married.

#sadlennyfan

• Like 3

Leonard being a bit stingy could be the answer to why he puts up with living with Sheldon when he can afford somewhere on his own.

For what it's worth, this is one woman who couldn't give a crap about expensive jewellery. I'm not even sure where my engagement ring is to be honest, and I only really put my wedding ring on if I go out (I'm shovelling horse and chicken sh*t on a daily basis, so I don't wear it very often).

Leonard's stingy and Sheldon's a jerk, nothing new here really. Remember though, Sheldon's Penny's friend so he probably found the Tiffany box deceitful. Don't want to be shown up, then either don't be stingy or else, if you can't fight your nature, make sure Sheldon don't find out.

• Like 1

I see Leonard through strawberry colored glasses because I love him and maybe that's why I remember more evidence of generosity than stingyness in Leonard.

Flawed as he may be, I've never thought of Leonard as a cheapskate.

Can't say I have much of a coloured lens for any of the characters really, though Sheldon is why I watch the show (Amy's a close second). I just happen to find him particularly funny (mainly coz he is such a 'jerk').

They've made jokes about this foible of Leonard's before. I don't like him any the less for being a bit tight. It is what it is! In real life, my best friend is as tight as a knat's chuff and I absolutely adore her, she wouldn't be who she is without the penny pinching aspect. Nobody's perfect.

• Like 2

Leonard being a bit stingy could be the answer to why he puts up with living with Sheldon when he can afford somewhere on his own.

Leonard's stingy and Sheldon's a jerk, nothing new here really. Remember though, Sheldon's Penny's friend so he probably found the Tiffany box deceitful. Don't want to be shown up, then either don't be stingy or else, if you can't fight your nature, make sure Sheldon don't find out.

Yes. That's it. And for me, as a very disgruntled Lenny, there lies the problem.

I know zippy-zap about diamonds and as long as it's pretty and sparkling, it has met my own very high criteria. But this whole recycled industrial diamond issue is just another reason why I'm so put off by what the writers have been doing this season to Lenny and Leonard. I agree with you when you say it makes Leonard look 'stingy' and 'deceitful'. I think it does too and that's why this whole engagement ring issue annoys me (and there is another second emotional one but more on that after this half baked rant). Throughout the eight seasons, Leonard has never been shown to either stingy or deceitful. If anything, he has liberally bathed Penny in money, paying her bills, buying food, the car, the trip home for the holidays. As for deceitful, the only thing to me that may approach deceit (but this depends on your interpretation) was when Leonard inserted the electric can opener sounds on the North Pole data. But personally, and YMMV, I see Leonard as the very clever one with that because he restored calm, making things bearable at their outpost, saved Sheldon's life, while keeping all the original data. The problem was with Sheldon when he sent the very premature e-mail. So in all eight seasons, Leonard never gave the hint that he was either stingy or deceitful and here in one episode, to me, he's portrayed as both. Where did this suddenly come from? Like someone posted earlier, they denigrate Leonard's character (my opinion) with very unwholesome qualities (my opinion) just to give Sheldon the joke? I could buy this whole stingy and deceitful thing if we had any glimpses it at any time previously. We didn't. In fact, I would say the opposite. I really cannot remember any (but feel free to educate/remind me).  

The second issue about this engagement ring that irritates is that the Lenny proposal in season seven was an absolute delight for me. In this dreadful season eight (for me), I would re-watch Gorilla and it still make my heart swell with joy and help me to remember why I love Leonard, Lenny and the reason I watch the show. I love that scene and could quote it word for word. But now, this new characterizations 'stingy' and 'deceitful' tarnish that whole wonderful scene for me. Slightly. I know that's my problem, I need to get over it, it's just an emotional issue, but for me, that whole totally wonderful engagement scene has been lessened. 

Edited by 5Mississippis
  • Like 8

Oh, there have been examples of Leonard being tight (not many) but when the chips are down he comes through doesn't he? That's what matters.  I'm sorry to hear it's taken some of the joy out of the engagement scene for you 5Mississipis.  But come on, the sentiment and symbolisation of the ring is what's important, not that Leonard tried to disguise its origin to big himself up. Everyone wants to look good in front of the one they love don't they?  After all, nobody farts and burps on a first date do they, there's always a little bit of bullcrap, who on earth would play up their faults deliberately?

And stinginess is funny.  One Christmas I bought my bestie what I thought were a gorgeous pair of earrings and, to cut a long story short, ended up getting them re-gifted to me by another friend on my birthday (my BF had clearly re-gifted to her and these earrings came full circle).  Brilliant, we had a good laugh (all three of us) and I ended up with a pair of gorgeous earrings to boot (I probably wouldn't have bothered buying rubies for myself but they are my BF's birthstone, so result!).

• Like 1

Just from person experience my wife never talked to friends about things that involved our lives. It was better to solve problems between us and not put them out for everyone to know

I think an outside perspective is healthy.  I have a friend who's in an emotionally abusive relationship. She's slowly coming round to the idea that she is a person in her own right.  

I'm of course not suggesting anything about your own relationship I should add, merely that it's not always easy to see clearly when you are in the eye of the storm and an impartial opinion can shed light on a situation, that's all.

Guest TomLenny

I think that writers have no clue about Lenny in this season. Lenny's plot is inconsequential, until podcast episode everything between them was good, then we got two episodes terrible, next one great  - The Graduation Transmission, and next again wrong, I'm afraid about season finale. Money thread they resolved in The Expedition Approximation. I thnk writers shouldn't engaged them in season 7.

• Like 4

I think that writers have no clue about Lenny in this season. Lenny's plot is inconsequential, until podcast episode everything between them was good, then we got two episodes terrible, next one great  - The Graduation Transmission, and next again wrong, I'm afraid about season finale. Money thread they resolved in The Expedition Approximation. I thnk writers shouldn't engaged them in season 7.

I didn't see the podcast episode as terrible at all.  I also don't think they worked out the money issue 100%, they just said they promised they would figure it out before they get married.

Also I don't see where Lenny has been the butt end of the jokes any more than the other couples. The chore chart-Howardette, Emily or Cinnamon, or Leonard commenting how he's seen Sheldon & Amy kissing and saying, "trust me, it's not romantic."

• Like 1

After hearing what Penny said about her audition, I'm convinced she got the part. You often hear about how someone got a part after they thought they blew the audition. I think that's what the season finale will reveal.

• Like 2

After hearing what Penny said about her audition, I'm convinced she got the part. You often hear about how someone got a part after they thought they blew the audition. I think that's what the season finale will reveal.

Totally agree with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Makes sense to me.

II'm of course not suggesting anything about your own relationship I should add, merely that it's not always easy to see clearly when you are in the eye of the storm and an impartial opinion can shed light on a situation, that's all.

But L/P aren't in the eye of the storm. I can relate to Leonard and his reluctance to affirm Penny's decision to put herself back on the firing line. He watched her suffer - all those knockbacks all those years - as I understand actors do get to hear "No" a lot. He is being protective, not controlling. And he probably knows he has bugger all chance of making her change her mind once it is set - does know her well after all. I think Sheldon would have just confirmed her choice of what she wanted, not persuaded her in anyway.

• Like 5

I think more or less like a lot of the people in this thread. What they are doing to the character of Leonard, and to Lenny is incredible , and not in a good way. They are re-writing the characters, and they are more and more unrecognizable as the season progresses. It seems as if they've run out of ideas, and are taking the path of least resistance, going for the quick joke, and disregarding 7 years of canon. For me the writers are being down right stupid, if you think how they are misusing Lenny to the nth degree. Again, as I said, stupid if you consider that they have 48 million dollars per season invested in that  couple.

• Like 4

We've had so less lenny in S8 that my judgment is clouded sometimes that I miss the little things they say or do like Leonard saying to Wil. "We have juice" like they are living together and the little looks they were giving each other during the podcast scenes. :)

Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 1

the best for Lenny yet to come on S9 and S10 , hopefuly their wedding will happen mid S9 most likely begenning of S10. I wonder Leonard feelng bad earning less than Penny will make him more closed to Penny, i don think he wants her help financially.  So disapointed last episode no interaction between Lenny; so disapoiting that Penny woud go to Sheldon for advise on her career, i would think she would care more what Leonard thinks.

the conming episode seems to have some Lenny interaction, good. :cool:  cause queen bee and alpha male, simply are the best.  all others hold court to them.

• Like 4

So much excitement around shooting the last episode of the season! Wish I was there. It sounds like the last 3 episodes will have a good amount of Lenny scenes. The Sexy Cap and Gown looks cute. Hope the season ends on a high note for us. :party:

So, not the greatest Lenny season ever but I loved Prom and Body Painting. I loved Hold Your Hand and Do it With You and I loved them having the best time at the ball game, laughing and smiling together. I loved the Shopping/Basket Weaving Date and The Best Fiance Ever picture. I loved the little bit of Christmas sweetness. I saw the love and I felt the love that Penny and Leonard have for each other. I loved the hand grabbing/holding and the wide-eyed looks during Turtle Time. I am leaving their less than shining moments behind as I remember  their good times. I find that I do that with all the seasons.  All relationships ebb and flow. I see their love flowing beautifully through season 9.The love is there and the chemistry is there and the history is there.  :kissing:

• Like 9

the best for Lenny yet to come on S9 and S10 , hopefuly their wedding will happen mid S9 most likely begenning of S10. I wonder Leonard feelng bad earning less than Penny will make him more closed to Penny, i don think he wants her help financially.  So disapointed last episode no interaction between Lenny; so disapoiting that Penny woud go to Sheldon for advise on her career, i would think she would care more what Leonard thinks.

the conming episode seems to have some Lenny interaction, good. :cool:  cause queen bee and alpha male, simply are the best.  all others hold court to them.

I think they will be fine (what a bummer if they get to s10 and breakup - inconceivable!). They are going through some things as they work out who they are and what they are doing. Penny could be nicer to him, and he less concerned about what she is up to, but I have the impression that this year was largely about them conflicting with each other and not Sheldon. It's hard to reconcile the Penny who tried to put the birthday party together with the Penny who has a guy and doesn't mention it, but hey...

Lets see what the finale brings. I'm agog.

Episode has Leonard and Penny finally nail down details of wedding. Penny wants to elope in Vegas. On the way, Leonard comes clean about drunkenly kissing a girl on the North Sea trip. Wedding is still on.

Edited by MichyGeary
  • Like 7