[Spoilers]Leonard And Penny Season 8 Thread

Slutty part yes, dumb I'm not convinced yet. I want to see the first few episodes before I'm ready to accept the writers are ready for a new line of jokes for Penny. Bikini car wash and Bernadette being unable to think of three good selling points for Penny were just little hints the writers haven't quite put them in the trash just yet. I'm hopeful but not confident. Depends on how convincing they want this pharmacy rep job to be. She's gonna need more than a quick online course to bring any sense of reality to the premise. But then it's a sitcom so they don't need realism.

We'll see. IMO, Penny is smarter than average, but not well educated. I think she has untapped potential.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.seat42f.com/the-big-bang-theory-season-8-episode-8-photos-the-prom-equivalency.html/4

See you tomorrow Mike!!

I agree that she wasn't in love with him at the Halloween party, she was never in the love at first sight mode, like he was. The Halloween party just gave the audience the first proof that there was

Posted Images

I do see this happening. I really think she will eventually excel at pharm sales (but I have friends who do it and flirting does help).

And once she does well on her own her confidence will increase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think she will as well. Penny is smart enough to excel. & yes, she needs to do this on her own. (penny is a natural flirt anyway) :) Even with the conflicts this role will bring, I also think it will be good for their relationship & balance it to a better level.

Samsung Note3

We'll see. IMO, Penny is smarter than average, but not well educated. I think she has untapped potential.

100% agreed. Her potentials are endless, she just needs to believe in herself more and work harder to achieve her goals. Her self esteem will keep growing as this season progresses and she will realise that Leonard was right all along when he kept telling her she was smart.

Samsung Note3

• Like 2

I m curious, what is the sells pitch that Penny uses to potential clients, hopefully the writers will not have Penny use her physical attributes to make sells. That is so passé, that would be insulting and low, kind like regressing to S1, S2, S3, S4 when she was portrayed basically as a " dumb blonde "  Hopefully they writers will not have her say lines like " well, how come the Sun comes up everyday? " the episode when the girls analyze a Thor comic book.  Good comic relief but degrading.  Thank god since S5 we are seeing that Penny in lots of ways is one the smartest of the gang, she might not have the academic background or the PHD'S like the rest of the gang, but in many ways she is the smartest and Leonard always noticed that since S1.

• Like 1

The gang sometimes fuels penny's insecurities by hinting about her not having a degree or finishing community college, this must be hard for someone who's best friends are high academics. Maybe that why Penny fluffed it at her interview. Low self esteem, being told most of her life she's just a dump blonde. She found it hard trying to explain what she can bring to the role & the company. Now she's got the job, I so want her to prove everyone wrong about her intelligents & be really good at her job. Sometimes leonard worries too much about penny too which is frustrating for her, leonard needs to let her make & learn from her mistakes & just trust her.

Samsung Note3

yeah I agree, Leonard worries too much about Penny, that is Leonard, he always tries to make sure the woman of life is okay which makes her mad at him sometimes but deep down she wants Leonard to worry about her, she will not come out and say it to Leonard because he will make a bid deal out if it.

• Like 1

yeah I agree, Leonard worries too much about Penny, that is Leonard, he always tries to make sure the woman of life is okay which makes her mad at him sometimes but deep down she wants Leonard to worry about her, she will not come out and say it to Leonard because he will make a bid deal out if it.

Or take it the wrong way. Lol.

Samsung Note3

I can see this job for Penny going one of three ways:

1.  She is a success and this is her career for the rest of the show.  I don't want to see that happening because after the first excitement, it will just get boring, I think.

2.  Penny at first does well using her looks and flirting, but then when she won't put out, she fails and the whole thing is a failure.  I don't want that to happen either, Penny failing is depressing and not funny.

3.  The job becomes a stepping stone for Penny, it makes her feel good about herself and she puts some money away to support herself (she actually listens to Leonard), because she is still not done with acting and goes back to it as soon as she gets a little nestegg.  I like this one.

• Like 5

Yeah, I go with the 3rd option. I really want to see penny's dream come true.

Samsung Note3

I agree, I think the show would be missing something if Penny completely gave up acting.  It would be nice if the sales job is temporary and she saves a lot of money so she can continue her quest as an actress.  I so want her to have some acting success before the show ends.

I agree, I think the show would be missing something if Penny completely gave up acting. It would be nice if the sales job is temporary and she saves a lot of money so she can continue her quest as an actress. I so want her to have some acting success before the show ends.

I think penny will never give up on her acting career. The bug is implanted in her. The new job is definitely temporary. Penny will gain a lot of confidence & that will give her that push to chase her dream. I have always thought that penny will never be 100% happy until she accomplish being an actress. Even if she doesn't became famous just as long as it's regular work.

Samsung Note3

• Like 1

The so called tension over the job between Leonard and Penny could centre around what to do with the big bucks she is earning as the sales rep. Does she have a plan or just sees money coming in she's never had before? Does Leonard want her to use it for education to be better qualified which she baulks at ( because science courses are so boring) or does he want her to save it to pursue her acting dream again but she is unsure about going through the pain of rejection again when there is easy money with this job? Does moving in together and sharing the costs ( instead of Leonard doing the lion share as was expected before this job ) fast track the saving and return to acting or does the fact she is now financially independent delay the move in, much to Leonard's dismay? So many questions that may never be asked or answered! I got no idea but it's fun pondering.

Edited by Itwasdestined

I think penny will never give up on her acting career. The bug is implanted in her. The new job is definitely temporary. Penny will gain a lot of confidence & that will give her that push to chase her dream. I have always thought that penny will never be 100% happy until she accomplish being an actress. Even if she doesn't became famous just as long as it's regular work.

Samsung Note3

I hope Penny uses the Pharma job as a boost to her self-confidence. It's too unrealistic that Penny, as written, would suddenly become a corporate soldier obtaining the education and training over the years that the job demands and settling in as a working mom balancing corporate career and family responsibilities. Let's face it, that maybe the path for Amy and Bernadette but Penny has shown neither the discipline nor inclination to accomplish such a life change. She would find it boring (and eventually so would the viewers) after a year. Given what Bernadette said about her talent was being good at "lying around in yoga pants", Penny would just get pregnant and ditch the sales job, with Leonard in complete agreement.

The best we can hope for is a Penny that uses this experience to give her the perspective of what is realistic. No more movie star dreams but understanding that applying her self as a working actress requires hard work and dedication to learning her craft. I hope the writers use this to mature Penny into realizing that what is possible is different from what is wanted. It's a paraphrasing of advice that Spock gave his wife T'Pring in Star Trek TOS. :icon_wink:

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

The pharm rep angle i think wont be permenent. Penny neither has the interest, nor the motivation or disciplin to be a working class girl type. I bet after a few eps of seeing her sponge out, she well get bored real fast and feel an inclination for acting again. Apart from giving Penny a sense of self confidence and self worth, this plot change and angle well also make her realize acting is her true passion, not just a means to stardom. Clearly fame is out of the question. But her success as an actress compared to a failure as an actress is pretty relative. Shes had a few commercials, shown her acting chops in that play in S6, got that Ncis gig, had a role in Serial Apist (straight to dvd). So clearly her looks are getting her parts, i just think she needs to stand out from the archtypical blonde. Ive actually enjoyed her acting plots last season, opposed to her sitting around doing yoga lol, been good seeing her on set. In Friends you saw Joey on set all the time, going to auditions, DOOL haha. So i hope in the future her acting career is picked up, theirs alot of comedy potential to be explored Penny going to sets, for auditions etc. Maybe a few real life famous actors could guest star as themselfs. As for Lenny they have hit endgame phase, the only conflict well be sparingly, and well last two eps tops.

If the writers are smart I could see them dragging this sales job out a half a season, by making it go by in phases:

First she has to learn a lot which is hard for her and she gets all bitchy with her friends and especially Leonard, until she allows him to help her.

Then once she starts she has trouble getting clients which makes her feel she can't do the job.

Beginning success gives us a now happier Penny.

Big success and money now starts rolling in and she becomes a shopaholic.

Too much confidence, now bragging too much

Boredom, this is not what she wants her life to be.

Sneaking to auditions during work .

Quits to follow her real dream .

Anyway there are eight episodes as sub plots right there, that could make her new job last a half season easily.

I'm really hoping they don't drop Serial Apeist, it would be funny if after the sales job, the movie is released and Penny becomes the star of a movie with a cult following. It would be funny to see her out with Leonard and her get mobbed by a group of people for autographs. It wouldn't get her rich, but it might help her confidence.

• Like 3

I can see the sales rep job as a storyline leading eventually to Penny getting work as an actress. Perhaps a co-worker who initially she gets into some conflict with, fixes her up with an audition with a director friend by way of an eventual apology..maybe leading to her go away at the the end of s8 for an acting part..

• Like 2

Really, Penny going away at the end of season 8 seems possible. It is her turn, Leonard and Sheldon have gone, so Penny, the last of the lead 3, going seems logical. Maybe Serial Apeist will take off and get a budget, so she makes some decent money and has to go on location.

• Like 2

Sort of tired of the "going-away" season endings though. Would like to see something different...

Fair enough. Just thought it was in keeping with tradition..

Wasn't much lenny in 8.01 actually there was only one in the first scene. Lets hope we get some lenny cuteness in 8.02.

Samsung Note3

I hate to even think this, but I think the whole real purpose of Penny's new job is for her to make more money than Leonard, and for her job and what it entails, to make Leonard more insecure. The writers can't seem to let Lenny have a break without throw conflict in with them.

Also I am a little disappointed that Penny's apartment was brought back already, because that means she is not bunking with Leonard anymore and they may not be spending every night together. I was really hoping Leonard and Penny would be joined at the hip this season.

I hate to even think this, but I think the whole real purpose of Penny's new job is for her to make more money than Leonard, and for her job and what it entails, to make Leonard more insecure. The writers can't seem to let Lenny have a break without throw conflict in with them.

Also I am a little disappointed that Penny's apartment was brought back already, because that means she is not bunking with Leonard anymore and they may not be spending every night together. I was really hoping Leonard and Penny would be joined at the hip this season.

That would suck if the writers go down that route, playing the insecurity card again... They need to be done with that. well, with Sheldon back I rather they spend time at penny's, spending every night together & just want to continue the trend, probably why the Apt was brought back so soon. I too want to see them joined at the hips and having alone time & doing romantic things but this is tbbt and as long as the conflicts are not long term and we get some sweet lenny moments I will be happy with that. :)

Samsung Note3

Edited by Tonstar17

If they're going to throw conflict at them, let's hope it's season six conflicts.  You know, conflict at the beginning and then the a sweet moment to end of the episode.  

• Like 2

I dont think using their current living arrangements as any kind of clue or indicator as Lenny being attached at the hip, i mean they havent lived together in 7 seasons (they nearly did in S2). So considering how close they were at the end of s7, nothing has really changed in terms of where they live, looks like its still between 4a and 4b, so wont have any adverse effect on their closeness Its good tho that they have their own independence in their relationship, and with Sheldon returning after a pointless trip, where nothing really changed. The writers well be resisting any real change tbh the focus well be fixing the Shamy relationship before anything else changes. And as much as i can see Penny

leaving for the summer, seeing it has become a tradition in Big Bang, like they drag out the Pharm rep angle half the season,then once Penny gets bored after buying tons of shoes :p. Acting is brought back up, Penny finds out from her agent Serial Apist has become an online/cult hit, and your the star, Lenny have a sweet moment, im finnally a working actress! So like some said Serial Apist takes off and gets a budget, or she gets a great offer and has to shoot on location for the summer. Writers dont seem any plans on bringing serial apist back, other then that trailer haha, but i have a feeling this pharm rep plot is a plot device to a storyline. I do to like the balance when it comes to conflict, conflict at begginning then sweet moments at end, vd ep s6 was a perfect example of that.