The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
3ku11

[Spoilers]Leonard And Penny Season 8 Thread

I really hope we at least get one kiss in S8 so people stop going on about it haha. The shows more relationship driven these days, but its not a Romantic Comedy. So for me the niceness of Lenny hug, and I liked Leonard kissing Penny on the cheek actually. Was enough for me. 

The problem is that people were getting used to their kisses (like me), and it's kinda missing now.

Funny thing is they did nothing but kiss in S3, and people critizised them for no depth or honesty in their relationship. Now they do, now people are missing them kissing. Albiet even once. So I guess people want best of both worlds. But I guess it is not S3 Lenny, its S8 Lenny. More matured and refined relationship now. But I guess they are not old, but you don't see couples kissing in this show like HIMYM. So its a fine line I suspose.  

Edited by 3ku11

The problem is that people were getting used to their kisses (like me), and it's kinda missing now.

And blatantly obvious! Even to us Shamy's.

If Shamy had kissed this site would have crashed last night. Howdette and Raj/Emily were never in a position to kiss. The only couple that had the opportunity was Lenny. It was prom night. On the season 8 thread the last "real kiss" (not cheek) mentioned was when they got engaged. Shamy's were even wondering where the kiss was. As to one or two kisses in season 8 did I slip into another dimension and end up in the "Golden Girls" forum? Has Penny/Kaley turned into Betty White?

Spot on, Chrismo!!

• Like 1

I guess I am the only one who has either not noticed a difference, or doesen't think its a big deal haha? Anyway. 

I guess I am the only one who has either not noticed a difference, or doesen't think its a big deal haha? Anyway.

I usually agree with what you comment on, but I really think you have your rose colored glasses on right now.

I usually agree with what you comment on, but I really think you have your rose colored glasses on right now.

What because I choose to see things differently. IMO your over thinking things. Just because you beleive their is a specific reason why their are less kisses. You don't get to tell me I am blind because I don't see it your way. Your being way to cynical. They don't kiss so what. 

Spot on, Chrismo!!

Well, I'm not mad. I just pointed out that it would be nice to see them kissing sometimes. But I don't think there's anything wrong with cheek kisses. At least they had two (!) and the others not a single one.

Well, I'm not mad. I just pointed out that it would be nice to see them kissing sometimes. But I don't think there's anything wrong with cheek kisses. At least they had two (!) and the others not a single one.

I think it was more like 1&1/2, that second one was screwed up.

As I said in the Prom thread, I'm a Shamy and even with all the distracting goodies for my ship last night, I was kind of scratching my head. If ever there had been a perfect set up for a romantic Lenny kiss, that rooftop scene was it. But nothing. Its just weird now, like seriously what's the deal?

• Like 4

As I said in the Prom thread, I'm a Shamy and even with all the distracting goodies for my ship last night, I was kind of scratching my head. If ever there had been a perfect set up for a romantic Lenny kiss, that rooftop scene was it. But nothing. Its just weird now, like seriously what's the deal?

Exactly!! With all the awesome Shamy goodness we got last night, my first comment was about the missing Lenny kiss. And I'm a freaking Shamy fan who's not all that fond of Penny! I even thought the rooftop scene needed a kiss!! What does that tell you, TPTB??!!

• Like 3

Funny thing is they did nothing but kiss in S3, and people critizised them for no depth or honesty in their relationship. Now they do, now people are missing them kissing. Albiet even once. So I guess people want best of both worlds. But I guess it is not S3 Lenny, its S8 Lenny. More matured and refined relationship now. But I guess they are not old, but you don't see couples kissing in this show like HIMYM. So its a fine line I suspose.  

While it's in no way lessening my enjoyment of the relationship, see the hugging and handholding as the writers' new way of showing a Lenny 3.0  and I clearly overanalyse as per my post in the episode thread, I still don't get why a kiss on the lips has become so hard to include. IT is a weird change to the dynamic and would be an interesting question to ask Molaro, Prady et al in the next interview they do.

But skull, of course you have the right to not care and have a different opinion. However, I don't understand the concept of more matured and refined relationship equating to no need for kissing on the lips for a second when it has been the norm for the couple. I'm hitting 50, closing in on 25 years marriage and the wife and 1 kiss (on the lips - not grandma cheek efforts) in front of the teenage/young adult kids every time we greet each other. Lenny are way off being my vintage so I'm not sure how you think hugging and handholding is all they need in a more matured and refined relationship. 

And the point is, up until this season, couples have been kissing on this show (Shamy an exception minus the obvious major events). Howardette always kissing. Lenny plenty of kissing in Season 5-7. Priya and Leonard plenty of kissing. Leonard and Stephanie same. Even Raj and Lucy had that one awkward kiss through the wire fencing. Raj kisses Cinnamon!! It might not be a Romantic comedy as you constantly assert but don't pretend kissing couples haven't existed. It's why everyone is questioning the current trend. It's gone missing.

• Like 5

I think the writers are trying to really focus on how mature as a couple Lenny is BUT I too am a Shamy who agrees a kiss last night would have worked fine and it was missing (I still hated how on the date night when Leonard said that hold hands and do it with you adorable line Penny didn't kiss him... Instead her "aw Leonard" didn't sit right.. Maybe it was the expression I don't know but she should have kissed him).

• Like 3

Yeah agree the no kissing thing is weird. The moment on the roof was so romantic & needed to end with a kiss. Perfect opportunity & lost again... They seem to be doing everything else but kissing..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

post-13758-0-78784800-1415468659_thumb.g

Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 1

While it's in no way lessening my enjoyment of the relationship, see the hugging and handholding as the writers' new way of showing a Lenny 3.0  and I clearly overanalyse as per my post in the episode thread, I still don't get why a kiss on the lips has become so hard to include. IT is a weird change to the dynamic and would be an interesting question to ask Molaro, Prady et al in the next interview they do.

But skull, of course you have the right to not care and have a different opinion. However, I don't understand the concept of more matured and refined relationship equating to no need for kissing on the lips for a second when it has been the norm for the couple. I'm hitting 50, closing in on 25 years marriage and the wife and 1 kiss (on the lips - not grandma cheek efforts) in front of the teenage/young adult kids every time we greet each other. Lenny are way off being my vintage so I'm not sure how you think hugging and handholding is all they need in a more matured and refined relationship. 

And the point is, up until this season, couples have been kissing on this show (Shamy an exception minus the obvious major events). Howardette always kissing. Lenny plenty of kissing in Season 5-7. Priya and Leonard plenty of kissing. Leonard and Stephanie same. Even Raj and Lucy had that one awkward kiss through the wire fencing. Raj kisses Cinnamon!! It might not be a Romantic comedy as you constantly assert but don't pretend kissing couples haven't existed. It's why everyone is questioning the current trend. It's gone missing.

Lol it is really funny you have a different interpreation or ethelogy. In this case when it comes to kissing, suddenly I am I well put it in your words "Asserting" :p. I am not saying it is not odd a romantic couple, THE romantic couple of the show is not kissing. I am just looking at it from a different point of view. Their has to be a reason behind it, that is it. It is hard to kiss on camera. In real life, its more natural. But in a live action sitcom, maybe its just to much of a hassle with all the rehearsing and planning, just to kiss. When their are plot stories to focus on. Doesen't bother me currently. Well see. But saying matured and refined. I don't mean affection. But from a writers perspective they have really focused on increasing their emotional intimacy the past Three Seasons. In S3 they did nothing but kiss, and people wanted more depth and honesty. You got that now, but now they are not kissing enough apparently. I doubt the fact Kaley is married is a factor, and maybe on the surface it's not. But maybe Kaley has some intrinsic, subconcious prejudice currently to kissing Johnny on screen, who knows. But I have a different take on it, obviousley from everyone else, does not make me wrong or right. 

Regarding this kissing issue, I just hope if Lenny does end up getting married that at the end of the ceremony the minster / justice of the peace doesn't turn to Leonard and say " You may now HUG the bride"! :)

• Like 8

Regarding this kissing issue, I just hope if Lenny does end up getting married that at the end of the ceremony the minster / justice of the peace doesn't turn to Leonard and say " You may now HUG the bride"! :)

Maybe Penny or Leonard has bad oder or breath so they cannot kiss haha. 

Lol it is really funny you have a different interpreation or ethelogy. In this case when it comes to kissing, suddenly I am I well put it in your words "Asserting" :p. I am not saying it is not odd a romantic couple, THE romantic couple of the show is not kissing. I am just looking at it from a different point of view. Their has to be a reason behind it, that is it. It is hard to kiss on camera. In real life, its more natural. But in a live action sitcom, maybe its just to much of a hassle with all the rehearsing and planning, just to kiss. When their are plot stories to focus on. Doesen't bother me currently. Well see. But saying matured and refined. I don't mean affection. But from a writers perspective they have really focused on increasing their emotional intimacy the past Three Seasons. In S3 they did nothing but kiss, and people wanted more depth and honesty. You got that now, but now they are not kissing enough apparently. I doubt the fact Kaley is married is a factor, and maybe on the surface it's not. But maybe Kaley has some intrinsic, subconcious prejudice currently to kissing Johnny on screen, who knows. But I have a different take on it, obviousley from everyone else, does not make me wrong or right.

Good to see I got the skull LOL, disappointed I missed out on the haha Edited by Itwasdestined

Change of topic.

Does anyone think the Lenny living together issue is going to crop up any time soon? It has been conspicuously absent from any discussion between Leonard and Penny so far this season but recent events might be suggesting it's time for option to be brought up again. Shamy seem to be making giant strides with Amy seemingly becoming more important to Sheldon. That rooftop scene has never painted Lenny looking happier and it was because they were completely alone without the distractions of everyone else interfering in their lives. Could be the catalyst to push Penny to make the commitment to real cohabitation.

On the reverse side of the argument, a lot of story lines have been showing the rekindled Shelnard relationship in Season 8 minus the nastiness of recent seasons. They were adorable as Alfred and Bruce Wayne, ep 1 still implied his need for Leonard and the upcoming episode stresses Sheldon's closeness to Leonard. Could be setting up that Dr Cooper is still not ready to lose his buddy to across the hall so Penny and Leonard stick with the comfortable status quo.

Penny, too, is still painted as someone happy to still have personal space. She jumped at the chance to go to Vegas when Leonard have her opportunity and she still looks content sitting on her couch on the phone or pouring a wine for the girls behind her kitchen bench.

Leonard and Penny don't look in a hurry and seem comfortable in their current situation but recent developments at least seem to suggest to me that the time is close at hand for the inevitable discussion to commence with the ensuing drama and comedy to follow.

Thoughts? ( and I don't mean another debate about which apartment they deserve to have!)

Good to see I got the skull LOL, disappointed I missed out on the haha.

FWIW, skull, I actually support your basic premise of a different level of intimacy being developed in Season 8 - I have made that clear in several posts recently. I often agree with your basic opinions, it's your supporting arguments I don't get some times. I'm not going to go all Tensor on you and engage in a 3 day, 10 post critique of every sentence you wrote ( sorry Tensor, couldn't resist) but your argument/opinion that the lack of kissing might come down to the demands of rehearsing etc. is just a touch flawed. Still a 20 min sitcom that has involved kissing in the past so not sure why it's suddenly too difficult to move from cheek to lip. Kissing not a hard action to perfect. I'm not talking about a Lime kiss or a post helium balloon kiss, just a basic human movement that shouldn't require a 10 week acting course to complete. And you didn't really address the age rebuff or the couples don't kiss on the show disagreement. They were my issues, not your "different take", which at its basic level I agree with. Anyway, not looking for a long debate. Peace..

SIDEBAR: ethelogy!?! Since the use of spell check is not your strength ( no ill will intended) - what!?! please explain if you care to.

Well we clearly have fundamental differences in interpretations, re my supporting arguments. Doesen't make me wrong neither does it make you. I never said the couples dont kiss on the show. No one in the episode kissed. I am just just not employing my prejudices or agends onto why they are not kissing. Like Kaley's a diva, or she is being unprofessional e.t.c. haha. That is my opinion on a different point of view. Their has to be a technicle reason for lack of kisses. I don't watch Big Bang to see Lenny or any couples kiss, I never did. I watch to laugh, so maybe I don't notice any difference. Look if Kaley came out and said "Oh my husband is on set, so I have a clause in my contract one or two kisses with Johnny a season, so don't want to use them up yet" haha. Then fine, but at this point it is all speculation. 

Change of topic.

Does anyone think the Lenny living together issue is going to crop up any time soon? It has been conspicuously absent from any discussion between Leonard and Penny so far this season but recent events might be suggesting it's time for option to be brought up again. Shamy seem to be making giant strides with Amy seemingly becoming more important to Sheldon. That rooftop scene has never painted Lenny looking happier and it was because they were completely alone without the distractions of everyone else interfering in their lives. Could be the catalyst to push Penny to make the commitment to real cohabitation.

On the reverse side of the argument, a lot of story lines have been showing the rekindled Shelnard relationship in Season 8 minus the nastiness of recent seasons. They were adorable as Alfred and Bruce Wayne, ep 1 still implied his need for Leonard and the upcoming episode stresses Sheldon's closeness to Leonard. Could be setting up that Dr Cooper is still not ready to lose his buddy to across the hall so Penny and Leonard stick with the comfortable status quo.

Penny, too, is still painted as someone happy to still have personal space. She jumped at the chance to go to Vegas when Leonard have her opportunity and she still looks content sitting on her couch on the phone or pouring a wine for the girls behind her kitchen bench.

Leonard and Penny don't look in a hurry and seem comfortable in their current situation but recent developments at least seem to suggest to me that the time is close at hand for the inevitable discussion to commence with the ensuing drama and comedy to follow.

Thoughts? ( and I don't mean another debate about which apartment they deserve to have!)

No. Simply because of Leonard and Sheldon arch. It has been proven over time Leonard is the social nucleus of the show. The premise of the show is heavily based on Leonard and Sheldon, and Leonard and Penny. Take Leonard away from 4A you also lose Penny. You also lose the gang, as they well follow Leonard, leaving Sheldon alone. Leonard is core to the show. So you can see why they are hesitant to changing living arrangements. 

Change of topic.

I'm not sure about soon. I think they are leading to it and have been dropping hints, but that seems like it would be something that would come up in February or May sweeps (of course there are still two episodes left in this sweeps, but I think it's too soon for TPTB to move them).

I'm not going to go all Tensor on you and engage in a 3 day, 10 post critique of every sentence you wrote ( sorry Tensor, couldn't resist)

You're only giving me credit for three days and 10 posts? Man, I thought you knew me better than that.

Change of topic.

You have a valid point, they do seem to be quite happy in their own apartments.  The talking about moving in together, from the finale, seems to have been forgotten already.  What 3ku11 says about Leonard being the show core does have a lot of merit on why they would wait till the last possible moment to put them together by themselves.  I wouldn't mind if they showed them staying at both places on different nights, but it seems not only beds scenes are now taboo, we don't even see them coming down from his bedroom anymore in their pajamas, to give us an indication they are even sleeping together.

• Like 1

I think the living arrangements are fine for now. There is no need to change something that works for both of them. Even if Penny has taken a giant leap in her relationship this season she probably still isn't ready to give up her independents yet, those insecurities are still showing their ugly heads but not as bad as previous seasons. I also think penny is scared, the way she hold onto Leonard with both hand as if she wants Leonard to reassure her that everything is going to be alright and always there for her. She is getting there and I believe penny will get there soon, it's just sometimes old habits are hard to give up, things that you have been used to for years and the transition will happen, but slowly. @rachel, not very nice calling lenny boring in the Lenny thread. You could have put that on the season 8 thread.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk