The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S8 Discussion Thread

While Raj shouldn't get a free pass, I'm not sure Penny being drunk gives her a free pass either.

Perhaps, but another question to ask is would she make the same choice or act in the same way if she were sober? I really don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 1

Perhaps, but another question to ask is would she make the same choice or act in the same way if she were sober? I really don't think so.

Tapatalk

Raj was also drinking. Would he made the same choice? Penny is an adult and chose her actions. Sober she wouldn't of ended up in bed with Raj. Everyone I think knows that.

Thanks for the report @kazzie!

sounds like a funny episode, i'm looking forward to this Raj/Penny/Emily plot, i feel kinda 'meh' towards Emily, but maybe is a matter of time and if she has more time on screen and little bit more of interaction with the gang like in this episode, then i could get to like her... the plot seems interesting to say something. That Penny/Raj hook-up was a WTF moment, but if is used as a comedy device, and works, then why not. The comic book store plot seems ok, and those Shamy lines, meh, i dunno, tbh i'm not angry nor disappointed, as for those lines of consulting your fiance/wife, and then Sheldon 'consults' with Amy, is a nice touch, is nothing to write home about, but is another stone added to build this relationship.

thanks again, and congrats on your selfie with Kevin!

Raj was also drinking. Would he made the same choice? Penny is an adult and chose her actions. Sober she wouldn't of ended up in bed with Raj. Everyone I think knows that.

At that point Raj would not have been able to speak to Penny without one drink.

Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! It's my pleasure as always!

Flying home in a few hours. Can't wait to be back in November!

• Like 9

Thanks everyone! It's my pleasure as always!

Flying home in a few hours. Can't wait to be back in November!

Have a nice flight, kazzie!

Thanks Kazzie for the report!  And how cool is that you had a selfie with Kevin Sussman!!  That's awesome!

After all the debating, the show came out and said they messed around.  It counts.  I figured it did.  It was not my favorite moment on the show.  I never really got that upset by it.  They are both adults.  They were both single.  Yes, alcohol may have lowered inhibitions but I was ok with how it wrapped up.  I moved on from it.  The show addressed it and away we go.

Shamy:  I was very happy with how the writers approached them last episode and was hopeful to see a more unified quirky front as the show progresses.  This episode kind of gets in the one step forward and how ever many steps back.  I actually don't care if Shamy are traditionally romantic but the sexually frustrated Amy trope gets old.  Especially when based on her reactions to the on-screen kisses, I am not sure she would really be prepared if Sheldon would want to approach another base.  That being said, though, I guess the show acknowledges here that there has been some off screen kissing and Leonard saw it no less.  Enough of that.

As for the Raj/Emily/ Penny storyline.  Color me intrigued.  I honestly have no idea if she is Raj's "one" or not but the story seems somewhat organic to me.  Penny has been threatened by smart beautiful women in the past (Alex most recently comes to mind and with good reason).   I am by no means saying that Penny isn't smart and beautiful but she is in a group that looks at success in terms of the letters behind your name.  Based on what I see in the show, Penny felt the only asset she had to get ahead was based on her looks and she thought that would help with her acting career .   Thus far, acting hasn't gone the way Penny originally envisioned.  Nothing wrong with that.  But now we have Emily is  beautiful and a doctor, Emily fits in more with Amy and Bernadette.  Making Penny the only one among the girls not to have those letters whereas Bernadette and Amy do.    As for Emily, I think she now feels somewhat territorial re: Raj.  She is new to the group and Penny is beautiful.  Re: of the where and whys, Raj/Penny fooled around and as a newcomer, in her head she might be thinking it could happen again or at the very least not completely secure (as new couple tend not to be) in her new relationship.  Finally, I think Raj was right here to tell Emily.  My reasoning:  I think he was being open and honest.  I also think it shows that he has no hidden feelings for Penny.  I think if he hadn't told her and she found out some other way that she would have wondered why he would have kept something like that a secret. 

JMO, I know others will see it differently. 

Edited by Denise07
  • Like 3

I think the only obvious solution for both Emily and Penny sleeping with Raj is that Emily needs to sleep with Leonard to make things even. They don't have to have sex either, Emily can just use her hand like what happened between Penny and Raj to keep things even. Raj should be more than fine with that equatable adjustment to keep the peace between the girls.

Thank you Kazzie. Awesome reporting as always.

Cute ep. Tiny shamy goodies.

Im just not a fan of Emily.... yet. Idk i have a weird vibe on her. Like shes mean in a way. Now being ugly to penny. I am not a penny fan but dont mess with her. Its like another priya. I liked lucy (love kate) but they had her too socially awkward even for raj. Idk maybe they will do more with Emily character. We will see.

• Like 1

I feel like this is the beginning of the end of Emily, I never thought she would last forever cause it's too early for a Raj soulmate even though I liked her. It is lame that they couldn't come up with another way than to bring that lame finale up again, just let it die.  I just wonder what happens now, she might become a psycho jealous girlfriend or try to seek revenge on Penny or something. Steve said "what shes really like" it sounds like it could be really fun and crazy at least. lol. She'll probably be around for a few more episodes before we see her go fully crazy. Hee. 

I also love the Stebbie, I am so digging the Stebbie! :wub:

• Like 4

I think the only obvious solution for both Emily and Penny sleeping with Raj is that Emily needs to sleep with Leonard to make things even. They don't have to have sex either, Emily can just use her hand like what happened between Penny and Raj to keep things even. Raj should be more than fine with that equatable adjustment to keep the peace between the girls.

Leonard needing a dermatologist for a "private area" examination and pulling his pants down for Emily.

Sounds like Fan Fiction Fodder.

I could just picture Leonard and Penny walking in on a Shamy make out session, poor Leonard will probably be in the hospital as a result of Penny's over enthusiasm.

• Like 7

I could just picture Leonard and Penny walking in on a Shamy make out session, poor Leonard will probably be in the hospital as a result of Penny's over enthusiasm.

Two words: shell shock
  • Like 3

I'm sort of glad acts have consequences in this show and that they have some kind of memory. But Emily came too soon to stay I thought. If she exits gracefully and Raj doesn't burn the whole thing to the ground maybe she could come back, or recur, like Janice in FRIENDS. However, there was a seed planted in the dialogue just before she showed Raj her tattoos. He said his jealous response was his problem - she said she would be concerned if she saw him with another woman.

I think it will be funny and so far as I can tell everyone is acting in character. Raj was a dork before and after the faux Penny hookup, not because of it. LOL. No one should be surprised. And the cliches save the audience from thinking, which is convenient given they only have 19 minutes and there is lots of colour and movement going on, and most viewers are distracted by Instagram and Twitter while watching.

Thanks, super-spy Kazzie! Keep rackin' up the sky miles.

• Like 1

And the cliches save the audience from thinking, which is convenient given they only have 19 minutes and there is lots of colour and movement going on, and most viewers are distracted by Instagram and Twitter while watching.

Huh?...Sorry, I was on twitter. What did I miss?

• Like 6

Raj was right to tell Emily about the hookup. It's a new relationship & it's not healthy to keep secrets. Honesty is the key here, so I hope raj told her the truth about what really happened. Emily probably would have found out anyway. I know it comes out as Raj being a jerk but we know that tptb did it for laughs, that's why I am not bothered about the penny/raj/emily conflict. For now. See where the writers go with this. I also really hope penny stops protecting Raj's ego & let everyone know what happened that night. penny kept her end of the stick, raj can't seem to do the same. So why should penny.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Raj was right to tell Emily about the hookup. It's a new relationship & it's not healthy to keep secrets. Honesty is the key here, so I hope raj told her the truth about what really happened. Emily probably would have found out anyway. I know it comes out as Raj being a jerk but we know that tptb did it for laughs, that's why I am not bothered about the penny/raj/emily conflict. For now. See where the writers go with this. I also really hope penny stops protecting Raj's ego & let everyone know what happened that night. penny kept her end of the stick, raj can't seem to do the same. So why should penny.

I agree 100%.  I am not bothered by it.  I seriously was thinking their would be tension between Penny & Emily and this was a comedic way to do so.  I don't think it will last.  Plus, Raj is new at this relationship stuff.  He probably put all his cards on the table.  I don't think this storyline will have long lasting effects. 

I agree 100%. I am not bothered by it. I seriously was thinking their would be tension between Penny & Emily and this was a comedic way to do so. I don't think it will last. Plus, Raj is new at this relationship stuff. He probably put all his cards on the table. I don't think this storyline will have long lasting effects.

Knowing the writers, they probably forget about it the next episode. Lol.

Raj really needs to learn about dealing with relationships or he is going to end up a lonely old man in his one bedroom apartment. Lol. you are right the storyline wouldn't last & will be resolved quickly, and from the TR, it sounds like a really fun episode.

Chrismo are you forgetting Lucy and the hearing impared chick, also Raj has inferred through the show he has had girlfriends, it is only when the writers want to make him more pathetic, for certain story lines, that the bring up throw away lines how no one loves him. He also has shown and admitted on girls night that he has no problem hitting on his friends girlfriends, he is an ass through and through. So this episode was more of him being a bragging ass than anything, as I see it. I think it would have been really funny if he would have been stepped on hard by everyone for his actions, there has never been a problem with doing that to Leonard and Howard, so is now Raj exempt like Sheldon from doing bad things and getting away with them. Does anyone really feel sorry for Raj?

SRAM I so totally agree with you. Raj, the one character on the show with absolutely no character. He cares about himself first and foremost at all times. He plays on his friends feelings when he needs sympathy, he fantasizes about his best friends fiancée, he manipulates an extremely impaired and angiushed Penny into bed and in his supposedly good friends bed no less, he has ripped on his father in an excessive rant because he couldn't get seat heaters for his new Mercedes. he hit on Penny to the much annoyance of Leonard when he was in the magazine. Do I really need to go on? Well maybe one more very big one. After that mistake of a night by the writers and Penny and Raj talked it over, Raj asked Penny to please not tell his friends what happened and she asked him not to bring it up that she will explain it to the group. So what has happened since then? Raj keeps bringing it up to people in front of Penny and you can see that she is totally embarrassed about it. Does that matter to Raj? Not one bit. He just keeps doing it. Like I stated before the Raj character is absolutely devoid of character.

I just wish we could see Penny tell Leonard that nothing happened that night!

• Like 4

I have a question for the group, why (given his past experience) would Stuart want to start up his comic book store again? Sure that's what he's done for the last few years, but really he was miserable almost every time we met him. From the way he described it, he would have better off working a Mcjob somewhere. Or panhandling in the street. I was shocked to find out he could afford insurance on the store.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1