S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

HMMMM ... OK I'm getting chastised about the unwritten rule .... IT WORKS BOTH WAYS .....

you don't mess with the ex of a friend .....

I agree but i would say its more of an unspoken rule. And i agree you dont mess with an ex of a friend. But who is this in relation too? Not that it ultimately matters, the whole thing made no significant impact on the show, its just semantics :p.

I think if he's going to tell Emily he hooked up with Penny, he needs to tell the whole story.  Especially the embarrassing part of the story--that it was over before it really got started.

True, but we don't know exactly what Raj told Emily in private. We know he and Emily had a conversation about their past encounters, but whether he just gave Emily a laundry list or talked about each encounter in detail, it's hard to say. Just because in the dialogue it's been short-handed - the way people talk - to "hook up" doesn't really let us know what the conversation was like. I think that if Raj is giving this relationship his all he was probably honest and he had to tell Emily the truth. Besides, obviously she seemed to be fine with it and had no issue - and she admits she thought she was going to be cool about it and may have even told Raj she would be - until she laid eyes on Penny and saw how pretty she was. Then Emily had a change of heart about it. I'm not sure that's something which Raj can be expected to have any control over. Emily is his girlfriend, he's putting his trust in her, and I find that admirable although maybe not wise.

In the long run though, Emily's reaction to Penny is serving a plot. Considering the way that Emily has behaved in the past, if I was Raj I might also assume she would be cool with it - she seemed cool about Raj dating both herself and Lucy at the same time when their relationship began. While it could be a non-starter, I have a feeling that Emily's reaction to Penny, and their mutual hatred of each other by the end of the episode, is setting up Emily as a Priya-like catalyst for the whole cast for the rest of season 8. I could be wrong about that, but when you look at the possibilities of how Emily and Penny's dislike of each other has the potential to mess up the group dynamics and cause issues for everyone, I would be surprised if the writers decided to solve it immediately. But then again, the writers have a past history of throwing out some pretty tantalizing story lines and then not carrying through with them, so I find it impossible to predict with certainty what's happening here until we see more.

• Like 5

Oh I can easily imagine Sheldon saying it. He could say something like "So Emily does it feel awkward being friends with a woman who spent a drunken night with the man you're dating?" Emily freaks out looks at the girls and Bernie and Amy point fingers at Penny while Sheldon has no idea that he said something he wasn't supposed to. Of course he would never mean harm but Sheldon is a ticking bomb in situations like that.

• Like 6

I'm confused with this thread

Some are saying Raj told Emily because Sheldon might say it???

Even Sheldon has a filter so idk why people would say he would say it

I don't know if I would go as far as saying Sheldon has a filter, but Sheldon doesn't talk about anything that doesn't interest him..and Raj and Penny hookup is old news and shouldn't interest anyone

you just have to reference Sheldon blurting out Leonard and Pennys bad first time in 3x02 to know Sheldon has no filter lol. He is completley oblivious most of the time, and early on had him observing human and relationship construct, now hes in one so its completley changed, but still Sheldon has no filter. i can imagine Sheldon blurting out "Penny and Raj did the dance with no pants". He did the exact same thing when Leonard and Priya were dating, and he was "Leonard and Penny used to do the dance with no pants" :p.

While i dont ageee Penny doesent gt called out for her behaviour ( 1. Depends how you define ones behaviour, does it really matter? 2. Fans hv bn calling out Penny for her behaviour since the pilot, particularly when it came to promiscurity and the way she apparrently "treated" Leonard). I do feel sorry for her, it was prob one of the biggest blunders of her life, that she doesent need reminding if. And im sorry i cant feel sorry for Raj. Its fine he has cultural transparencies and insecurities. But its like he selectively chooses when to come out of this whole thing looking like a big shot, when nothing really happened as far im concerened. Writers just leave it be, the only thing apparrent here is it is obvious Emily well be phased out, she may go all crazy then leave with a bang its too early to be an endgame relationship for Raj.

Theirs always been speculation to whether Sheldon has asperges syndrome. But Sheldon doesent. Writers said since they havent shed any light on whether or not Sheldon has Asperges, he therefore doesent. It also gives them the freedom to make light of it without offending anyone.

I was talking about getting called out on characters ob the show but I too can't feel sorry for Raj or Emily I think that Penny forgave him way too easily. Emily seems like too mean girl and I really can't like her. I don't see her fitting into gang at all since she already offended Howard (and therefore probably Bernadette too) and got into fight with Penny.

And people, having Aspenger's syndrom doesn't count as being crazy (I'm not talking to you but to some other posters-although Sheldon's mother may have that opinion). That's actually offensive to say. So don't use "they had him tested" argument. (Although I am not sure does Sheldon has it-he has OCD though, without a doubt.)

I was talking about getting called out on characters ob the show but I too can't feel sorry for Raj or Emily I think that Penny forgave him way too easily. Emily seems like too mean girl and I really can't like her. I don't see her fitting into gang at all since she already offended Howard (and therefore probably Bernadette too) and got into fight with Penny.

And people, having Aspenger's syndrom doesn't count as being crazy (I'm not talking to you but to some other posters-although Sheldon's mother may have that opinion). That's actually offensive to say. So don't use "they had him tested" argument. (Although I am not sure does Sheldon has it-he has OCD though, without a doubt.)

i never meant to imply that crazy part as being offensive. i was just pointing out from a writers pov, they have already acknowledged or isolated Sheldons Ocd at least. So they have identified Sheldon is on the spectrum, so they can make light of it. Whether or not using "My mother tested me im not crazy" has a valid argument is up for speculation, but you would have to ask the writers that. As for Penny being called out for her behaviour, well just like all the characters she has imperfections, and just like all the characters i dont see any reason why on the show she should be called out for her behaviour, what ever behaviour that maybe i just dont think its neccessary.

I don't know if I would go as far as saying Sheldon has a filter, but Sheldon doesn't talk about anything that doesn't interest him..and Raj and Penny hookup is old news and shouldn't interest anyone

I agree that it should not interest anyone. Certainly not Sheldon. But then who can say what could trigger a monologue by Sheldon on any given occasion.

s6e12

HR Woman: Whuh-ah! Woah! You can’t talk about that, either, Dr. Cooper. Your language is entirely inappropriate, and I’m gonna advise that you shut your mouth right now.

Sheldon: I don’t see why I’m the one being persecuted here. Dr. Hofstadter, he was bragging about his sexual desirability to anyone who would listen. You know, and Howard Wolowitz, he spent two years using university resources building a six-breasted sex robot. Oh, and at the office Christmas party, I heard Rajesh Koothrappali refer to you several times as Brown Sugar.

HR Woman (writing): Hofstadter… Wolowitz… and the last one was Rajesh Koothrappali?

And the classic S2E1

Penny: Oh, look, why is it so hard for you to keep one little secret?

Sheldon: I’m constitutionally incapable. That’s why I was refused clearance for a very prestigious government research fellowship at a secret military supercollider, located beneath a fake agricultural station 12.5 miles south east of Travers City, Michigan. Which you did not hear about from me.

He gave away a military secret because ????   The man is a loose cannon.

Edited by djsurrey

HMMMM ... OK I'm getting chastised about the unwritten rule .... IT WORKS BOTH WAYS .....

A moral code is no bad thing, that much is true, without it we descend into nihilism. However, indelibly marking a person (and I reiterate 'person', no gender here) as 'out of bounds' is equally self-serving and unfairly restrictive to that person. People are not possessions.

That argument was presented by the writers, but intended to show the viewers that his mother had indeed taken that route and dispel the 'why are we laughing at a person with Aspergers' argument.

Of course it's offensive to suggest a person on the spectrum is crazy, but then, Mary's not got much of a filter either has she?

• Like 1

Agree with Lio that Emily's reaction is serving a plot. It irritates me because this sort of character vitiation has been done before. I honestly don't want to reopen the Priya can of worms again, but I rolled my eyes at the conversion of crisp, amiable Priya to a jealous, then vacillating shrew, to get her out of the picture. There are more graceful ways to write off a character ( or show that Leonard and Penny are better suited). Now, either the showrunners have someone else in mind for Raj, or they don't want to add another series regular, or whatever, but turning Emily into a jealous harpy to serve expediency is a fairly exasperating thing to do.

• Like 7

TO AThingofBeauty  no one is someone else's possession ... within a group of friends  when a pair have a fight  they sometime still have feeling for each other and given time they may forgive and get back together ... in this group  the pair P&L no mater what still had very strong feeling for each other... if someone out side the group dated P it was ok  but not someone from inside the group R .... R did not like that L was dating his sister ...

aw crap .... forget it  ......  what was done was done ... Raj was proud of himself  because he did sleep and saw Penny naked  that's what make the situation untenable, he keeps bragging about it to everyone ... Emily even said that if Penny was NOT as attractive it would not have mattered as much ... Raj bring it up keeps it in front of the couple Leonard and Penny ...  HE Raj just can't keep his big mouth shut ... if I was in  Leonard s position he would be out of the group .... Leonard had come to accept the situation and this OLD wound is brought back up for not good reason...

anyway enough is enough ... RAJ is a dick head...

• Like 4

In real life I think Leonard's friendship with Raj would have been over - Penny was more than just an ex to Leonard and Raj should have known that even in his inebriated state, but being a comedy it was all patched up by the end of the episode and everybody moved on, although Raj keeps trying to open the old wound by talking about it - now that it has come up again, it will be interesting to see how Leonard reacts to the strain between Emily and Penny.

Let me just clear up. Raj told Emily.. He stated in the episode:

"To be fair, I tell everyone"

But Raj doesn't tell the whole truth about what happened that night to anyone, he keeps letting the gang think he slept with Penny when he didn't - and if he hasn't told that to Emily then he is not being fair to her - it is time for Raj to tell the whole truth about what happened or Penny should do it for him.

• Like 2

Let me just clear up. Raj told Emily.. He stated in the episode:

"To be fair, I tell everyone"

That's because, as Fixitmr so eloquently stated "Raj is a dickhead", a sentiment I do not disagree with. They're all dickheads in their own way, that's why the show's so funny.

I do however, heartily disagree with this idea of ownership that so many on here seem to adopt. Yes, you don't deliberately mess up the relationship of two people with strong feelings for the other, that's not on and is an absolute no brainer.

In this instance though, I do believe that when the big non-event took place, Leonard was in what he believed to be a fairly serious relationship with Pria, he had spoken of moving to India had he not?

What Penny, Raj, or any other person of any gender, does or doesn't do with their bodies is no-one's business but their own, end of!

But Raj doesn't tell the whole truth about what happened that night to anyone, he keeps letting the gang think he slept with Penny when he didn't - and if he hasn't told that to Emily then he is not being fair to her - it is time for Raj to tell the whole truth about what happened or Penny should do it for him.

Yes, I hope Penny lets the cat out of the bag. Agree, it would serve Raj right. :)

Edited by AThingOfBeauty
  • Like 1

All Raj said was that they hooked up.

This is what was said at the taping:

Penny: it wasn't a hook up!

Emily: did you kiss?

Penny: yes

Emily: were you naked?

Penny: yes, ok maybe it was a hook up...

:)

By that one dies not know what Raj said. He was not in this conversation. I don't see this as cause for Penny to be hated. By that reasoning Raj should also be hated too. For that mater Emily could hate herself because she has "hooked" up with Raj too. I'm guessing Raj has said more.

Edited by djsurrey

The promo!

The promo is 'where in the world is Sheldon', but then in the promo it has Penny welcoming him back to his apartment, kind of takes the mystery out of it :cheese:

Edited by luke

The promo is 'where in the world is Sheldon', but then in the promo it has Penny welcoming him back to his apartment, kind of takes the mystery out of it :cheese:

I understand that FIREFLY had an ominous mysterious box with unknown contents as a plot point AND Fox promoted the show with a line something like "who is the mysterious girl in the box?" Plus ça change... Again, it just saves time and doesn't scare anyone. It does almost shout, "nothing to see here citizens...". The hair is the bigger mystery that may never be explained.

• Like 1