S8 Discussion Thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taping Report    “The Prom Equivalency”   Hi!!   This is my first taping report EVER so please be considerate and I will try my best. This was also my first taping, now that I live in LA, I was

I want you guys to know how hard these ladies are working on this report! "All right, who's got scene 13?" "Oh, that's me!"

Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone has reported this yet, but there's dialogue from the prom episode that I'm not sure was in the taping report. In the scene where Amy tells Sheldon she is going up to

Posted Images

I agree that her attire isn't aesthetically pleasing, but that's what I love about her. What she thinks works, may not work at all. But she doesn't care, and that's wonderful.

I actually know a lot of people who think that their style works while it doesn't...probably including me :p Joke aside I agree with what you wrote. Most of the times I adore her style. I don't have a similar one and don't think I ever would but she is incredibly cute just the way she is and I love it that she loves herself and doesn't make drastic changes. Part of me wishes they could maintain her style without cheapen the aesthetics but another part of me adores how clumsy her attempt to dress up for Vegas partying is!! I mean she can be nicely dressed and true to herself she did it in the last episode. But that's not a date night that's Vegas baby!! When I think of it like that I find it endearing. :)

Edited by Cecilia
  • Like 1

I actually know a lot of people who think that their style works while it doesn't...probably including me :p Joke aside I agree with what you wrote. Most of the times I adore her style. I don't have a similar one and don't think I ever would but she is incredibly cute just the way she is and I love it that she loves herself and doesn't make drastic changes. Part of me wishes they could maintain her style without cheapen the aesthetics but another part of me adores how clumsy her attempt to dress up for Vegas partying is!! I mean she can be nicely dressed and true to herself she did it in the last episode. But that's not a date night that's Vegas baby!! When I think of it like that I find it endearing. :)

I go back and forth. I do like the characterization of Amy not having a fashion sense, but I also find it very hard to believe that she would go to Vegas with Penny and Bernadette, who are very fashion-forward, and that they wouldn't give her some tips on how to dress for clubbing or barhopping. They've done it with her before (wearing heels, bikini waxing, bleaching mustache, doing manicures, etc) so I find it hard to believe that their makeover tips would not extend to her wardrobe. Amy having a bad fashion sense is in character, but Penny and Bernie not helping out isn't in character for them. IDK.

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with it.

My sister and I have 2 old school friends, one from junior high and the other from college and the 4 of us hung out all the time when we were all in college together.

The girl from junior high always dressed kind of...off.  None of us was completely glamorous, though our other friend usually dressed well, especially when she got dressed up.  From time to time we tried to make suggestions to our other friend, but ultimately to no avail.

Her problem was always too much cleavage, or super-skin tight pants--and it wasn't as if she had a great figure.  But she always wanted to look "sexy".  She actually bought some short shorts (like Daisy Dukes) with lace sewn on the leg openings.  No amount of gentle exhortation made any difference on her preferences.

So, I can see Penny and Bernie trying to make suggestions to Amy, but Amy always going with her own sensibilities.  She's happy to try new shoes, makeup, nail polish, etc., but she seems to always revert back to what makes her comfortable.

In the end, I think the goofy outfit is very IC for Amy--trying to "glam" it up, but drawing on her own sensibilities, like Sheldon's early preferences for outrageous suits and sci-fi related things, like his Silver Surfer tie.

I would really hate it if they made Amy up to be like the other girls, because that would--and we've had this discussion before--somehow imply that she needs to "look pretty" in order to be a real woman, or to attract Sheldon, or to somehow prove something.

Everyone wants to look their best, to be seen as attractive in some way, and to be admired, but if Amy dresses the way she does and thinks she looks attractive, then that's her sense of style and her sense of what's attractive.  Since Sheldon doesn't seem to be influenced by physical attraction or low-cut dresses or curvy figures or any of those other things men are supposed to be attracted to, what she wears ultimately doesn't matter.

I also think that trying to connect Mayim's attractiveness with Amy's is kind of futile.  Mayim isn't Amy, and if Amy is supposed to be a little frumpier in her body than Mayim, then that's the character.

Johnny Galecki doesn't need Leonard's glasses, but he wears them because the character is supposed to be very near-sighted.

Kunal doesn't wear goofy sweater vests in real life, but his character does, even though Raj knows how to glam it up, too.

They're all a little flexible when it comes to how they dress up and how they normally dress, etc., and if that's Amy's idea of dressing up, then that's IC for her, no matter how pretty Mayim's figure is.

• Like 6

People can wear what - or not wear - whatever they are comfortable with and is legal. Costuming is an artistic endeavour and paid professionals who are likely very good at their profession constructed this outfit with every intention of it being a clear statement by and about the character. So Amy chose this, in essence. Nobody forced it on her. She went the shops, looked at the options, flicked through the racks and picked this. She could have chosen something else but this is her preference. Good on her.

Alternatively, she stole and embellished one of Raj's vests, though the why of that puzzles me.

Edit. And is that an homage to a Batman graphic? Is she dressing subliminally like Sheldon...

Or is it Rihanna's torso tattoo shifted upwards and exposed? lol. Idk, genuinely I have no idea. Ever.

We live in a sex-driven society, and sometimes that can be a little tiresome. That's just my opinion.

It's every human society I suggest, but I agree about tiresome. That was one of issues for the NOSTALGICS who used to hang out here. Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 5

Agree with everything said about Amy being Amy but it's still interesting they chose to keep her in Amy dress mode since they have gone down the let's dress this girl up route twice for weddings - Maid of honour dress and that outfit she wore when she went to a wedding with Leonard. Both Mayim modest but still dressy and glamorous to suit Vegas. Maybe Amy sees weddings and formal occasions ( and Disney princess dress ups!?) as the only exception?

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 1

Amy's outfits are hilarious, but her sense of style has definitely gotten worse and worse as the wardrobe department strives to top itself in finding the absolutely most hideous things they possibly can. And just how awful the outfits are is definitely part of the humor; I laughed out loud at that ugly....thing...and that was just seeing it from the back with the floral shirt with....ruffles at the wrists?! Then I saw the picture from the front with the weird shape of  black lace tacked to it - lace sexes up anything, don't you guys know that? - and I burst out laughing again. Amy is severely fashion and color impaired, and while I am sure that Penny and Bernadette might have tried to nudge her towards better choices from time to time, this is what she likes. Apparently her bat-crap crazy color-blind grandmother was Amy's fashion icon. I sort of hate seeing her continue to dress this badly, though, when they decided to chuck Sheldon's awful fashion sense - they match less. And frankly, I miss his plaid suits and other horrendous attire a lot. Seeing him with a stylish blue blazer and yellow tie is lovely as eye candy, and he looked quite fetching to me, but he really didn't look exactly like Sheldon. What happened to the mismatched plaid combinations?

On Project Runway the other day, Tim Gunn showed up in a dapper plaid suit which reminded me of Sheldon. I guess that the character has been more of a style icon than we know; he's even gotten the immaculate Tim Gunn out there rocking the Scottish tartan.

• Like 6

While we're on the subject, is it really that Amy has an awful fashion sense, or is it more that her clothes just don't fit her in a flattering way? Because I think that Amy, when she was first introduced, she had really bold fashion choices--bold colors, fancy, etc.--she just favored the layers a bit much. I've never really regarded her as having a bad fashion sense when it comes to individual pieces, she just does a lot of covering up in a way that's not always flattering. Idk something to think about.

• Like 2

While we're on the subject, is it really that Amy has an awful fashion sense, or is it more that her clothes just don't fit her in a flattering way? Because I think that Amy, when she was first introduced, she had really bold fashion choices--bold colors, fancy, etc.--she just favored the layers a bit much. I've never really regarded her as having a bad fashion sense when it comes to individual pieces, she just does a lot of covering up in a way that's not always flattering. Idk something to think about.

Well in the beginning she would wear stripped with florals and sometimes tights that didn't blend...

At least now she generally color coordinates lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well in the beginning she would wear stripped with florals and sometimes tights that didn't blend...

At least now she generally color coordinates lol

I suppose. I've just never noticed I guess. It doesn't stand out to me as a thing. Her social awkwardness, yes. Lack of knowledge in some "girly" aspects of life, sure. But I've never thought of her as being fashion-backward.

I suppose. I've just never noticed I guess. It doesn't stand out to me as a thing. Her social awkwardness, yes. Lack of knowledge in some "girly" aspects of life, sure. But I've never thought of her as being fashion-backward.

I don't think she ever really cared for fashion. It's not a propriety to her. I generally find her long sweaters, button down shirt and knee length skirts cute

Aside from this yellow and black monster slowly her outfits have gotten a bit more put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a different subject, I've been wondering how long Penny is going to be a pharmaceutical rep.  Surely they won't have her give up her dream of acting so easily.  I'm thinking in a few months, just when she's getting settled in to the new job and backs off the acting dream, an amazing opportunity drops into her lap and she has to make a decision.  Thoughts?

On a different subject, I've been wondering how long Penny is going to be a pharmaceutical rep. Surely they won't have her give up her dream of acting so easily. I'm thinking in a few months, just when she's getting settled in to the new job and backs off the acting dream, an amazing opportunity drops into her lap and she has to make a decision. Thoughts?

That's actually exactly what I think it's gonna come down to. Either she chooses between an acting opportunity and a work obligation, or she'll get offered a promotion that might kill her chances of auditioning and she'll have to decide. Either way, the book is not closed on her acting career. The Career Decision, anyone? ;)

On a different subject, I've been wondering how long Penny is going to be a pharmaceutical rep. Surely they won't have her give up her dream of acting so easily. I'm thinking in a few months, just when she's getting settled in to the new job and backs off the acting dream, an amazing opportunity drops into her lap and she has to make a decision. Thoughts?

That's actually exactly what I think it's gonna come down to. Either she chooses between an acting opportunity and a work obligation, or she'll get offered a promotion that might kill her chances of auditioning and she'll have to decide. Either way, the book is not closed on her acting career. The Career Decision, anyone? ;)

I even like some of Amy's old lady flowery dresses and I hate flowers but that yellow thing she has on is just so unflattering, she has better things than that that she could of worn!

Hopefully its a one episode wonder...

As for Penny and acting, I wonderered in the hiatus about whether she might get asked to do adverts promoting the products she's selling, that way she can do both and still be happy

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 2

Completely agree with Lio, Journey, phanta and all who have pointed out that Amy's (ghastly) sartorial sense is in keeping with her off-kilter character. As much as my eyes bleed at her choices, I enjoy very much that we have a female character (and love interest to one of the leads, no less!) who has been allowed to be (and remain!) a vigorous, proud embodiment of What Not To Wear- something that on this show was the preserve of the male leads. Remember Howard back in the day? Recall Raj's sweater-vests? Kunal Nayyar in particular is pretty dishy in person, and I don't think Raj's hideous vests excite so much remark. But how refreshing that Amy can be dumpy or frumpy or schlumpy and be taken seriously as a love-interest*!  Brave new world, people. In a sea of Barbie Dolls and Zooey Deschanel quirky-but-still-objectively-gorgeous Manic Pixie Dream Girls, we have an Amy Farrah Fowler. In the last sitcom juggernaut, even. 

That said, I do agree with Lio that, now that Sheldon's been allowed to put away childish things (or at least childish plaids), he and Amy don't match in the same way. If- and only if- the show decided to let Amy mature in the same way, I wouldn't particularly mind having her drift into a sort of update of Miss Marple- tweed jackets with elbow patches (since Amy, bless her heart, seems to be immune to California heat), corduroys, stuff like that. And if- and only if- this sort of updating were to happen, maybe, just maybe said tweeds could be in the same approximate latitude as Amy's actual frame? They needn't be skimpy or tight to fit.

* Correctly, too, since it has been proven time and time again that Sheldon responds to Amy's mind, not her body.

• Like 6

I don't know that Sheldon has dropped his oddball clothing. I guess his suits have gotten a little more "normal", but his everyday clothing is still ruled by his nerd-shirts and apparent OCD need for layering, no matter how hot it gets in SoCal. :p

I don't know that Sheldon has dropped his oddball clothing. I guess his suits have gotten a little more "normal", but his everyday clothing is still ruled by his nerd-shirts and apparent OCD need for layering, no matter how hot it gets in SoCal. :p

Or university steam ducts, as it were!

tumblr_ncvo0v70Be1rn4qwao5_1280.jpg

OMG! I hadn't seen this picture yet!

Basically I like Amy's usual outfits, that's her!

But this..., if you look at the picture for more than 2 minutes, you risk the retinal detachment!

It's appalling and hilarious at the same time! :)

• Like 1

While we're on the subject, is it really that Amy has an awful fashion sense, or is it more that her clothes just don't fit her in a flattering way?

Wearing clothing that fit well is a part of having a good fashion sense, so just on the technicality of poor fit and unflattering lines for her figure she automatically falls into the pool of having bad fashion sense. But Amy takes it a lot further - she wears floral print with stripes, she wears fairly hideous colors or colors that, once put together, create a bold clash of contrasts that literally assault the eyes.

Not to mention WHERE Amy wears her clothing is often inappropriate to the destination. How can someone dance in a club in that many layers without passing out from heat exhaustion?

There are a few pieces of Amy's that would be salvageable with a different fit or worn in a different way, but if I had my way I would sweep it all off to the Goodwill and start over. But then again, if I did, it just wouldn't be Amy. My wishes for her wardrobe, if I had to change anything, would be to just tone it down a few notches. When she wears something that's really spectacularly ugly, I am taken out of the "suspension of disbelief" that allows me to be sucked into the show because I end up wondering how much fun the wardrobe department had tracking down these items of clothing and, by God, could they possibly get more extreme with how dowdy Amy is? I imagine them in a store holding up various dresses and being like, "I found the ugliest one!" And then laughing, and someone says, "NO NO NO LOOK AT THIS ONE! WTF WITH TACKING A BLACK LACE BAT SIGNAL ON A FLUFFY YELLOW SWEATER VEST?!" And after they spend 10 minutes rolling on the floor laughing over how hideous it is, they agree it's just so Amy Farrah Fowler, and they buy it 3 sizes too large for Mayim and triumphantly carry it home to add to the "ugliest character wardrobe ever assembled."

When they take the costuming too far I am reminded that it IS costuming, and not just what the character happens to be wearing, and I don't exactly want to be distracted by that. I mean, I am sure they are having an absolute blast, but the ridiculous extremes started a long time ago and I don't see any sign they'll get reigned in. I feel bad for Mayim; I cannot imagine how hot she gets under the bright stage lights.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 7

Wouldn't the blouse be much better in black? (Dopey question from a guy with no fashion sense.)

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

It would, absolutely. But then we'd be left with the Bumblebee BatSignal (hat-tip to NoGav). Honestly, I wouldn't retain any of it except maybe the skirt.

Agree with Lio that Amy's wardrobe can sometimes feel like a little bit of self-indulgence from Wardrobe. On the other hand, I am reluctantly compelled to admit that each individual element of the monstrosity pictured above is very in keeping with a repressed nerd looking for frivolous clothes. The combination, of course, is a supernova of 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!'. 

• Like 6