S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

Funny people always go on about Leonard being jealous of other guys hitting on Penny, seeing their is no evidence this has ever occurred.

Except in 43 Peculiarity in the 'I love you' scene when he explicitly states " It's hard sometimes. Everywhere you go, guys hit on you, even if I'm standing right there." So , no, we haven't seen it - but clearly he has.

Having said that, there are no insecurities anymore. They belong to each other. They would both be telling the attempted suitor to back off.

Except in 43 Peculiarity in the 'I love you' scene when he explicitly states " It's hard sometimes. Everywhere you go, guys hit on you, even if I'm standing right there." So , no, we haven't seen it - but clearly he has.

Having said that, there are no insecurities anymore. They belong to each other. They would both be telling the attempted suitor to back off.

Oh yeah that's my point about perception, it is implied guy's hit on Penny, just from a viewers pov we have never seen any actual evidence, as to why Leonard continues to be insecure, obviously he doesn't now, and that has changed. Saying Penny is insecure, is a good change, not a bad change.

Yeah, but Cole wasn't hitting on Penny.  That's the point.  We haven't SEEN anyone hitting on Penny, for at least four to five years.     What we do have is Leonard saying she gets hit on all the time, which I'm inclined to go with.     

That's my point it is all perception and vantage point. As a viewer the only evidence we have to go on a basis Penny get's hit on all the time, is Leonard saying she does, so that is good enough for me. So that's my point it is Leonard's insecurities about guy's better looking then he is, but I Think that's ending now.

Penny might not notice - she might be hit on and not be alert to it because guys can be like that and she treats it as white noise. Alternatively what might be funny is that she doesn't get hit on and she misses it. I'm sure they will play that card at some point. And Leonard might find after he gets married that he gets hit on even more, if that is possible. What goes on at conference stays at conference, I am told. And there is still room for farcical misunderstandings

(I just tried to imagine Penny at a conference acting like the character married to Christian Bale in "American Hustle", played by Jennifer Lawrence, who was jealous of the attention paid to someone else. There is some costuming you won't see on TBBT... but I digress)

My point is that Penny could possibly feel bad if Leonard gets fêted while she is around.  Man, I hope they give her some success.

• Like 1

Oh yeah that's my point about perception, it is implied guy's hit on Penny, just from a viewers pov we have never seen any actual evidence, as to why Leonard continues to be insecure, obviously he doesn't now, and that has changed. Saying Penny is insecure, is a good change, not a bad change.

Also, in 7.01, Amy and Bernie were talking about guys hitting on them to get to Penny when the three of them were out together.

Okay this probably is a bit out of topic but I didn't know where to post it. You remember how I only have two friends willing to talk about TBBT one Shenny and one Sheldon purist. Well, yesterday I found another one who likes the series. Guess what a Shenny again. :p Just my luck!! Long story short she thinks Bernadette ruined the show, she dislikes Amy and she hates Leonard :p We did agree on one thing tho too much drama. She hasn't watched whole episodes of season seven just some youtube videos and I told her about the ending but she didn't like it either. I guess she should see it to know for sure but it was nice to agree on something. Seriously I need to meet a Shamy fan lol..

• Haha 1

Okay this probably is a bit out of topic but I didn't know where to post it. You remember how I only have two friends willing to talk about TBBT one Shenny and one Sheldon purist. Well, yesterday I found another one who likes the series. Guess what a Shenny again. :p Just my luck!! Long story short she thinks Bernadette ruined the show, she dislikes Amy and she hates Leonard :p We did agree on one thing tho too much drama. She hasn't watched whole episodes of season seven just some youtube videos and I told her about the ending but she didn't like it either. I guess she should see it to know for sure but it was nice to agree on something. Seriously I need to meet a Shamy fan lol..

We'll all be your friends to talk about TBBT with.  :)

• Like 2

I always find it funny they hate Leonard, he is cntrl to their relationship. Regardless of how far fetched a concept maybe, shipping two ppl together with no supporting evidence their was or ever well be romantic undertone, actually quite the contary always seemed odd too me. I also dont get the term "purist", its still Big Bang Theory, they diddnt change the name of the show lol. Things change, it seems like Sheldon some fans hv closure issues. Like Sheldon for instance, he maybe more comical now, but sure beats the wannabe, deadpan Robot he was in 1-3, that got really stale after a while. Its funny because without Bernadette or Amy i dont think the show wld be as huge as it is now, they helped add depth to the show, and expand. They added to an already great ensemble, i diddnt always feel this way, but change is the only constant.

I dont really understand why you wld specifically hate a character, just because its more convinient because it doesent support your "ship". I mean not watching because your imaginary ship not getting the required screentime, if its gttng to that stage your enjoyment of the show is diminishing because two characters are not together, who were never going to be in the first place, well your watching for the wrong reasons imo. I mean if Leonard and Penny broke up i wld be bothered, but i wldnt stop watching out of protest!!! haha. I enjoy the big bang theory not the Lenny show. Its funny how ppl say how this show has turned into a romcom, or too dramatic. When it seems to be all fans talk about is this ship and that ship etc. Okay this is OT but im innoccent i was replying to ^ :p.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Hi! I'm new to the forum, though I think Tensor forwarded on one of my taping reports. Happy to be here. :girlsmile:

Welcome to the forums Tomisina. Yes, I passed along your report, you can find it Hop on over to chit chat and post a hello in "The Welcome Wagon" so everyone can meet you. Again Welcome.

Yeah, but Cole wasn't hitting on Penny.  That's the point.  We haven't SEEN anyone hitting on Penny, for at least four to five years.     What we do have is Leonard saying she gets hit on all the time, which I'm inclined to go with.

The thing with Cole I think was purposely left ambiguous, we don't really know if he was or wasn't hitting on her. But since we don't see their whole fictional life's, plus Leonard says guys hit on her, when he is right there, and she didn't contradict him, we have to assume it does happen.

• Like 1

The thing with Cole I think was purposely left ambiguous, we don't really know if he was or wasn't hitting on her. But since we don't see their whole fictional life's, plus Leonard says guys hit on her, when he is right there, and she didn't contradict him, we have to assume it does happen.

Didn't they indicate last year that they planned to bring Cole back, and then they just never got around to it?

Didn't they indicate last year that they planned to bring Cole back, and then they just never got around to it?

That would be one way to cause a little conflict between them next season that wouldn't be too serious. Penny could get a little miffed at Leonard when she tells Leonard she needs to stay late at school to study with Cole, because Leonard says he is hitting on her. Then when she does study with him, he does hit on her, even though he knows she is engaged.

That would be one way to cause a little conflict between them next season that wouldn't be too serious. Penny could get a little miffed at Leonard when she tells Leonard she needs to stay late at school to study with Cole, because Leonard says he is hitting on her. Then when she does study with him, he does hit on her, even though he knows she is engaged.

I'm wondering if they are even going to bother with Penny at school anymore.  While we know she at least started a psychology class in the fall, there was no mention of her attending in the spring, not to mention Sheldon's "Your failed attempt to go back to college?"  in 7.20.  So, does this mean they will concentrate on her acting career?  Give her a low level success, like two to three jobs a year?

They have talked down Penny's book smarts so much. It's a bit sad. If there is any justice they will give her a win on her own merits. She can do things the other can't - and its not even that the others aren't pretty, and she can't help being an attractive female. So she should get a win from her intrinsic abilities, for fairness sake. Unless TPTB want her to represent the 99% in all things, just for contrast. Youth fades, so I want something substantial for her.

• Like 1

I think the writer's up till now have painted the story of Penny, as pretty blonde girl next door type, struggling as an actress, moonlighting as an actress. Clearly when she quit her job, she gave up the only sense of autonomy that she has. The writer's have said the character of Penny is the most realistic character on the show. But I clearly think they never showed any backstory to Penny's character, all we heard is of her meth bro, we have seen her father, and he gave an insight into Penny's past history with dating. But we never have had a real insight into her past education, I mean I Think she made a subtle reference in S2 premiere about not passing community college. Do we know if she dropped out of highschool? And decided to take a shot at acting? Clearly she moved from Nebraska to Pasadena with no real calling card, she just just presumed with her looks and as Howard put it something about her ass being made of Jelly lol, sorry going off recollection here. But I think she was really big fish small pond, then in Pasedena big fish jigantic pond. This has been a continuation for Penny as a character, ever since the Barbarian Sublimation episode in S2, when she implied the casting execs told her she was too much of a "type". So I feel she was typed cast even then.

So being young, and having a few let down's. I really wish the TPTB would give Penny some credit as Nograv said for her intrinsic abilities, like her intrinsic bravery. Youth fades, the reason why she has been insecure about Alex, Priya e.t.c. Because they symbolise and represent things she is not. Penny insecure about her education and external intelliegence, and Leonard insecure about his physique. You could even argue Penny is no longer anti-geek, not that I want them in S8 make Penny pursue a career in science haha, that would be a bit much. But if they are sticking to the premise of her character being a Struggling Actress, they need to stick to continuity. Make important steps, Serial Apist becomes a cult hit, and segaues into other fields like Sci/Fi-Fantasy, indi low budget flicks. Find a sense of self, and sense of community specifically in the acting community, and hang out with sci-fi film types, something that also balances her life and her relationship with Leonard. Anything for Penny that make's her feel the past seven years of her life career wise hasen't been a waste, part of the problem is her closest friends are geniuses, so that must make her feel stupid, having friends like her well give her perspective.  

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

Today I managed to disappoint two people at work sitting behind me

They were discussing shamy as fish guts was on last night and one said they were glad the show had come to an end and the other agreed

I took great delight in their heavy irritated sighs after I told them it was on for at least another three years

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Today I managed to disappoint two people at work sitting behind me

They were discussing shamy as fish guts was on last night and one said they were glad the show had come to an end and the other agreed

I took great delight in their heavy irritated sighs after I told them it was on for at least another three years

Probably Shennies, so who cares ;)

They're snobs who think they are the ultimate authority on what is good and bad in popular culture. I see the same thing all the time in the comments section of Ain't It Cool News (which is barely one step up from a college frat house in terms of maturity; they make Delta House look like Rhodes Scholars).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2