S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

Dude, you really are old...

I keep telling people that, so I don't understand why they don't believe me....

I guess I'm a bit younger than you.  At 54, I vaguely remember original ST episodes, but the ones I seem to remember would have been from the last season--Lee Meriwether as that silent woman who keeps folding up into a line, the space hippies.

Yeah, I know that one. But for me, I've always associated Lee Merriwether with "The Time Tunnel".

It's a little muddled for me though, because I did watch endless reruns of ST in subsequent years as I was growing up.

Yeah, I can remember certain episodes from the first viewing, but I think that most of my ST memories are more from the reruns. I can also remember the announcement of the Kennedy assassination and remember the Beatles first appearance.

Only 3 or 4 channels on the TV, to begin with.

Heheheheheh, we were lucky, we lived between Milwaukee and Chicago, so we had two of each network, ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. We also got WGN and an independent out of Milwaukee, and if you had a rotary antennae, you could pull in two channels in Madison Wis. It was almost like having cable. :p

I also saw the original SW in the theater--

Heheheheh, so did I, on my Honeymoon.

Ah, the olden days... :p

ahhhhhhh, memories

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also saw the original SW in the theater

So did I. My grandfather took my brother and me. The theater was packed to overflowing, and people were sitting in the aisles and standing in the back of the theater; I guess they weren't very strict about fire codes back then. :) My brother and my grandfather grabbed seats at complete opposite ends of the theater, while I stood in back and leaned on the railing. Loving every far, far away second of it. :biggrin:

And this was the original original version, with no "Episode IV: A New Hope" in the opening crawl!

So did I. My grandfather took my brother and me. The theater was packed to overflowing, and people were sitting in the aisles and standing in the back of the theater; I guess they weren't very strict about fire codes back then. :) My brother and my grandfather grabbed seats at complete opposite ends of the theater, while I stood in back and leaned on the railing. Loving every far, far away second of it. :biggrin:

And this was the original original version, with no "Episode IV: A New Hope" in the opening crawl!

And Han shot first!

Don't know if anyone wrote BTS stuff but I am anyway. 

In the first scene all the girls messed up their lines, then in the second scene Jim messed up. All the audience cheered for BillyB but then told us not to do that. In the part where Kunal and Johnnys first scene they were play fighting, and all the four male actors started chewing gum randomly and we were like maybe they're going to blow bubbles but they just all did it before the scene. Also in this scene Johnny and Kaley messed up and I think her and Johnny were dancing, but Johnny was dancing a lot and jumping up and down.. LOL. I also loved seeing the make up people following each actor with like 4 bags of sponges. LOL. In the scene with Leonard and Penny in the hall way, Kaley messed up. In the stairs scene with Mayim and BillyB, I think they both messed up their lines too and Mayim forgot something and had to ask the director, speaking of everytime the audience guy shouted for the director all the cast started making booing motions. Awww, poor Mark. Also when Kaley comes out in this scene, I think Mayim and Kaley were doing something can't remember what, I saw them talking a few times that night it was cute. :)  In the scene with the core 5 and BillyB in L&S apartment was when we had a break and they were all chatting with BillyB and they were playing with a mug. They all looked like they were having a good chat with him. Jim was very focused on his lines all night reading them from his cards, it was cute and interesting. At the end Bill Prady was hugging the whole cast, awwww.  They also all took a group photo at the end for a charity, I think they were wearing T-Shirts, oh and Kunal and Melissa were dancing at the end too. Adorable.

Also Johnny and Kaley did their little audience thing. The audience guy was like, we have a special treat everyone and I was like, he's gonna throw some candy at someone or something then Johnny and Kaley came up and I was like OMGGGGGGG WHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. I kinda forgot they did that. LOL I was so excited, it was soooo great to see them so close. They were very genuine and I was like :icon_cry: awwwww.  

Also this couple said it was their 10 year anniversary on the taping day so Johnny came over and gave them the flowers that BillyB was holding. :)

Bill came over too to tell Mark they were doing a rewrite and I saw Steve talking to the actors a few times, but I never actually saw Chuck but they said he was there but I didn't see him. The writers sit behind this panel thing and I could see them at first but they closed it over.lol. I just wanted to stare into their eyes all night.. I was so excited to see Steve walking past and when Bill came over.. :)

tumblr_ndxcj3q1EU1qb83jyo1_500.jpg

Here's my little programme that says Special Guest instead of Billy Bob Thorton. 

http://bigbangsheldon.tumblr.com/post/100794482543/so-i-was-lucky-enough-to-go-to-a-taping-on-tuesdayalso wrote this tidbits up which is spoiler freee.

Edited by bigbangsheldon

Well, I saw Star Wars in the original cut, Ripley in Alien in the cinema and all the phones I grew up with had rotary dials. Some houses didn't have phones. Also I remember them installing the flush toilet. LOL.

But if I'm old, so is George Clooney. Hehehe.

Edit. Oh, and Hugh Grant.

So hold their pictures in your head when you think of me. That's what I tell my wife.

Ok ok I admit it...you guys are all old!! But I'm pretty sure you can't beat my great grandma. She was alive in both world wars and there was no such thing as a TV when she was born lol. But now she loves to see her pictures on our cameras right after we take them. She's 97 by the way.

Thanks Chloe for the post. I think Jim is hard to break character, he's always so concentrated 

Edited by pisquenta

I have the youngest Great Grandmother of everyone here at age 88. She had 12 Kids with her first being at age 16 and last at age 40 (she was married twice ad six with each husband). Sadly She has now outlive three of her Children's including her Oldest and Youngest.

She has 41 Grandchildren's and about 83 combined Great and Great Great Grandchildren's. She has now outlive a couple Grandchildren's and Great Grandchildren's.

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

All of my grandparents have passed away, quite some time ago.  I barely knew my one great-grandmother--my father's mother's mother.  All the others had passed away before I was born, I believe.

The funny thing about her was that I knew her as "Grandma Catita", a diminutive of the Spanish version of Catherine (though I don't tink I knew that at the time.)  Like all of my adult relatives, she spoke Spanish primarily.  It wasn't until after she'd passed away that I found out her name was Catherine Winship Martinez.  Her father was Anglo (originally from the Boston area) and her mother was from Mexico.

She was born in 1877 and died in 1973.

My mom's mother was born in 1899 and died in 1998, just about 6 months shy of her 100th birthday.  In her lifetime, she went from wood-burning stoves to microwave ovens, from horse and buggy days to airplanes and space shuttles.

My dad's mother was also in her 90s when she passed away.  I guess I come from good stock!

I was thinking, Howard has been really taken a beating from Bernadette lately about money, not doing stuff and being just like a kid. She is really sort of taking him for granted really bad. I think it would be funny if some astronaut groupie grad student (very pretty) started sniffing around Howard and toned Bernadette down a little. I would love to see Bernadette all mousy again whining to the girls that she is loosing Howard and she regrets how mean she has been to him. Howard would be funny when he realized some hot girl wants him, of course he would never cheat on Bernadette. I think a scene where the girl comes to Howard's lab and opens her coat to him, nothing underneath, would shock Howard and it would be funny to see him try and get out of there. So in short I think we need an episode that sort of gives Howard his balls back.

Bernadette scares me sometimes. There is one fanfic where Bernadette started beating up Howard, literally (but I think you already read it).

Your idea is good. I think that as much as Howard improves as a person the worse he gets! In earlier seasons he was a real creep and yet he suffered the least. I sometimes think that he and Bernadette got married too soon or that he is putting up with her too much.

Bernadette scares me sometimes. There is one fanfic where Bernadette started beating up Howard, literally (but I think you already read it).

Your idea is good. I think that as much as Howard improves as a person the worse he gets! In earlier seasons he was a real creep and yet he suffered the least. I sometimes think that he and Bernadette got married too soon or that he is putting up with her too much.

I'll bet there are people out there who would consider that to be karma, Howard's cosmic payback for the antics in his skeevy past. (Not saying I'm one of them, but it's sure to have come up somewhere.)