S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

While yes, the Shamy kiss is probably more memorable then the Lenny engagement with most viewers, both events took a long time to get there.

I don't compare the Shamy kiss to the Lenny engagement but to the Penny ILY.  While the engagement was a big deal, to me the ILY was a bigger hurdle.  IMO, those two moments were just as memorable.

• Like 1

I don't compare the Shamy kiss to the Lenny engagement but to the Penny ILY. While the engagement was a big deal, to me the ILY was a bigger hurdle. IMO, those two moments were just as memorable.

I agree that the ILY was more impactful. I was more comparing as others were saying that later seasons has been more Shamy focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't compare the Shamy kiss to the Lenny engagement but to the Penny ILY. While the engagement was a big deal, to me the ILY was a bigger hurdle. IMO, those two moments were just as memorable.

I think L/P got stiffed on the engagement; it was nice, and inevitable and I find that sense of it relatable, because that's how I felt about mine, but their pals dissed them to the max when they ignored that for Raj announcing he got his leg over. Obviously I'm partisan - but still it was a cheap joke to suck the air out of one event to allow the inflation of another, where someone takes a holiday, catches public transport then makes a phone call.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

Theirs more to explore with Shamy as a couple. As some hv said, they are almost going through puberty. As they never experienced it younger. Lenny is more conventional comparitively. And i think the reaction to the SIK from a media standpoint was more Sheldon kissing a girl lol then the Shamy relationship itself. I do agree the ILY was more impactful, the engagement had an air of inevitability, where as ily was unexpected, and was a catalyst for change in their relationship. But yes most wld agree Shamy was the main focus from a writers perspective this season, hopefully theirs more of a balance next season.

I don't know if the writers focused more on Shamy or it's just that anything that happens on the Shamy front makes more of an impact. I think there was plenty of emphasis on Lenny, to be frank I think once the career change arc began it was a big emphasis on their relationship and how it was inevitably moving towards the engagement. But their relationship has been going on for 7 seasons and anything they do other than reuniting, ILY and engagement just became part of the furniture, so to speak. And when the big build up came, they had to share the limelight with the Sheldon crisis and finally Raj gettin' some. The engagement episode was very much their show but the event itself was understated in true Lenny style. The only letdown was the announcement, killed off not only by Raj's announcement but the writers' constant proposal events that made it boringly inevitable to the likes of Bernadette with her "you propose all the time, this never happens" comment

Lenny have been kissing for 7 years. Fans of the Shamy on the other hand have been waiting 4 seasons for the first one so it was the greatest single moment if the series when it finally happened. Lenny were also seen to be keen on physical contact. Shamy's first meeting was on the condition that physical contact was out of the question. So any progress over their four season relationship became a standout event - the boyfriend/girlfriend deal, the Relationship Agreement, the D&D, the fighting to get her back from Stuart, defending her honour with Wil Wheaton, the Spider-Man plagiarised speech, the hug compromise, the tiara, SIK 1 & 2, the list goes on, were all huge events for this relationship that was never meant to be for these anti-relationship humanoids. Nothing in the normal ( other than nerd gets hot chick) male/female Lenny relationship is going to stand out compared to the Shamy deal.

So regardless of how much emphasis is put on either of Shamy or Lenny relationships by the writers in Season 8, it will always appear that Shamy is standing out more. It's just the nature of ,and the stark differences between, the two couples. Both will be centre stage come Season 8 - but once will just command the main spotlight more.

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 8

Sheldon will have a big focus next season. The writers aren't going to send him off because everything got too much for him and then ignore his issues when he does return

It's possible Rachel. Or... this is maybe what I think is known as a "hook" and the audience is going to be reeled back in, in time for Season 8 and more of the same as we got ins s4,5,6, and 7. They still have a marthon three seasons to go  - and only one big payoff left to deliver. How much tease can we all cope with, and how much satisfaction can they continue to deliver on the way?I think they will have lots of false crests and dips on the trip to the summit in three years.

The thing that will see them through is that they know how to write "funny" and the players are pretty.

Since they are doing a two parter, I hope Sheldon doesn't come home till the second episode. They can show him on the phone or Skype, the first episode. The first episode should be about, helping Amy and how she she made it through Sheldons abandonment of her, Lenny's engagement and what they did that summer, then finally maybe working Sheldon's return.

• Like 1

Since they are doing a two parter, I hope Sheldon doesn't come home till the second episode. They can show him on the phone or Skype, the first episode. The first episode should be about, helping Amy and how she she made it through Sheldons abandonment of her, Lenny's engagement and what they did that summer, then finally maybe working Sheldon's return.

Some people disagree about whether to characterize it as "abandonment".  I have mixed feelings.  It'll depend on how the first couple of episodes play out.

It's possible Rachel. Or... this is maybe what I think is known as a "hook" and the audience is going to be reeled back in, in time for Season 8 and more of the same as we got ins s4,5,6, and 7. They still have a marthon three seasons to go  - and only one big payoff left to deliver. How much tease can we all cope with, and how much satisfaction can they continue to deliver on the way?I think they will have lots of false crests and dips on the trip to the summit in three years.

The thing that will see them through is that they know how to write "funny" and the players are pretty.

What is this only payoff that is left to you?

I don't see it as abandonment from Sheldon, otherwise they wouldn't have had contact the next day.

Who says they're doing a two-parter to open the season? They are doing back-to-back episodes, and it could be like last season's opener, but it could conceivably be two episodes that are not necessarily directly related. He could come back in the first episode and the next one just be the next story down the line.

I don't really mind either way.

And I also do not think Sheldon in any way ABANDONED!!! Amy. If he was talking to her on what was probably the very next night, I don't see any abandonment, even if she was upset that he left. There's also a difference in his intent and her feelings about it. Even if he had told her of his plans (and he really didn't plan anything) and even if she had gone down there and begged him not to go, you could still have this difference between intent and feeling. If he didn't intend to abandon her, then he did not abandon her, whether or not she wanted him to go.

Who says they're doing a two-parter to open the season? They are doing back-to-back episodes, and it could be like last season's opener, but it could conceivably be two episodes that are not necessarily directly related. He could come back in the first episode and the next one just be the next story down the line.

I don't really mind either way.

And I also do not think Sheldon in any way ABANDONED!!! Amy. If he was talking to her on what was probably the very next night, I don't see any abandonment, even if she was upset that he left. There's also a difference in his intent and her feelings about it. Even if he had told her of his plans (and he really didn't plan anything) and even if she had gone down there and begged him not to go, you could still have this difference between intent and feeling. If he didn't intend to abandon her, then he did not abandon her, whether or not she wanted him to go.

I think you can look at it a number of ways. Either he fled from things, which encompasses the idea of abandonment, and loads the moment with emotion, or he just took a holiday without her, which has no great emotional significance - everyone takes holidays at some point.

What is this only payoff that is left to you?

I don't see it as abandonment from Sheldon, otherwise they wouldn't have had contact the next day.

I'm thinking of the stereotypical couple meet/break/re-unite three act format that we see so often. We still have the bedding and wedding to go for S/A but I'd call the former the big "emotional" payoff. Everything else is a bit of a denouement. (Edit: I really have no idea about the order, but if Amy wants a fun sex life they might want to practise a bit before hand - 10,000 hours makes an expert).

And regarding abandonment, we got played, because he did make "that" phone call, so it wasn't a real mystery at all. Unlike Bruce Wayne, he was not going to disappear for 7 years. So I was wrong about Tibet. Lol. :)

Watching glaciers dry is the metaphor for this show and they have three years to go, so something in the S/A story will be held to the last season.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

I think you can look at it a number of ways. Either he fled from things, which encompasses the idea of abandonment, and loads the moment with emotion, or he just took a holiday without her, which has no great emotional significance - everyone takes holidays at some point.

[snip]

...or he retreated as he got overwhelmed but still kept in touch. Actually this seemed to be the case. Being Sheldon he retreated to riding the rails and not to a monastery.

• Like 2

What is probably not going to satisfy those offended by Sheldon's actions is the possibility that the apology Amy deserves for NOT BEING TOLD by Sheldon that he was leaving ( rather than being abandoned, which I don't interpret as happening) has already taken place off camera. If we want to pretend this is real life and project real emotions onto Amy's treatment then the reality is Sheldon shouldn't be waiting until he returns before apologizing. That would be poor form to make her wait that long. There is every likelihood that his initial apology for running off without telling Amy why came during the phone call we hear at the end of the finale. So shippers hoping for a major discussion/confrontation on Sheldon's return may have to face the possibility that by the time they see each other on screen, they have sorted everything out. After all, if they are talking on a daily/regular basis why wouldn't they be talking about it? It's an unsatisfactory scenario for a visual medium like a sitcom in which viewers want to SEE the resolution but it is a possibility to consider. I don't want it that way but.......

• Like 6

October taping dates 

★ 10/14/14 ★ 10/21/14 ★ 10/28/14

Are there dates in September?  I know we're starting the first Tuesday in August and have, what, 3 or 4 dates?  Then these 3 in October...

Looks like we're going to be spoiled with spoilers this fall!

Just saw the dates--3 in August, 4 in September, and now 3 in October. :)

Edited by phantagrae

I saw this the other day. All Molaro said was that all the cast members will be there in Season 8, meaning Jim will still be there. We know he got on the train. The author is just twisting words around to stir up trouble. Same as the proposal quote. All Molaro said was "We're enjoying shining a light on how many proposals there have been and how many there might be to come. As long as we own it, we'll be OK." It was very vague, he didn't mention any particular couple or even when another proposal will happen. They haven't started writing Season 8 yet, so there's no way he could reveal that kind of information. I don't think he would even hint at such a huge thing if it had been already written.

The author used his very vague and general quote to try to stir something up about Shamy/Sheldon. They didn't even spell Penny's name right. :p

Yeah, I quit reading after the writer called Penny 'Peggy' :negative:

...or he retreated as he got overwhelmed but still kept in touch. Actually this seemed to be the case. Being Sheldon he retreated to riding the rails and not to a monastery.

You are not wrong, yet his "retreating" still had an element of "fleeing". Maybe this is a one-off. Let's see how they stitch this back together.

I could see Raj proposing to Emily as soon as he could, but I think she would turn him down once she realized how wealthy he was. They really emphasized how much she likes being in charge (as opposed to Lucy) and I think she wouldn't like the idea of a power imbalance that went the other way that much.

You are not wrong, yet his "retreating" still had an element of "fleeing". Maybe this is a one-off. Let's see how they stitch this back together.

The connotation of "retreating" it that it is temporary and has nothing to do with abandonment.

I was just picturing a funny scene, the gangs all about to eat take out and Penny is the last one there. She walks in, goes straight to Leonard and gets in his lap, kissing his cheek and giving him a nuzzle. Howard tells them 'Get a Room' and Bernadette goes 'Oh Howie' then gets in his lap and kisses him. Emily, sitting on the floor with Raj, leans on him, while wrapping her arms around his neck to kiss him. Amy looks up at Sheldon questioning and Sheldon gives her a worried look 'If you do that I'll scream' resulting in Amy just frowning.

I would just like a few episodes of mushy Penny at least till the newness of being engaged wears off.

And yeah I know I'm acting like a fan girl.

Mmmm Castrated Amy could be fun haha, like the scenario though. It could actually lead to a moment between Shamy, why Sheldon is so afraid of affection and intimacy e.t.c. But I agree I would like too see Lenny in the honeymoon phase till it wears off, like Proton which actually airs here tonight over in NZ, haven't seen it yet, I was waiting till it aired here haha.

Just saw on twitter that Regina King who plays Mrs Davies will be appearing next season

I wonder if they are going to bring up tenure again. I sort of wish they would, to satisfy the speculation.

I wonder if they are going to bring up tenure again. I sort of wish they would, to satisfy the speculation.

Mmmm yeah I kinda feel if they brought that storyline back up, Leonard would get tenure. Sheldon may be a genius, but after giving up String Theory, and tbh the writers have shown he has gotten lazy with his work. And also the fact he I am presuming is very difficult to work with, the fact Leonard is well liked and respected too, is something Sheldon probably doesn't have.