The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S8 Discussion Thread

Ok, I just read back some of the chat last night. (The transcript was still there, I passed out with chat open)

Firstly. No names shall be mentioned. But what a certain few users have said has made me feel like I don't want to do this anymore. While I know a good deal of you are grateful and understanding when it comes to reporting... The comments I read back last night has pushed me to a point were I just want to peace out on this. 

Let me point out, I put 100% effort in for every fan here. I travel across the world, Get every detail I can between tapings, Wait in line hours to get into tapings and work my ass off at home to make this happen. I know I can't please everyone or its not possible to remember every single detail. Especially since I only got to the US the day before the taping and am struggling to adjust the the time change. 

Whilst most of you are understanding of this, And I am ever so grateful. The comment I have just read back have upset me incredibly. To the point were I feel like I can't do this anymore, And the fear of last night chat events being repeated is just to much to deal with. 

I do this to get you guys what you need, and more importantly have fun. And right now I don't feel the fun side of it.

Tensor, feel free to delete this or whatever. Im just putting out there that this is all not happy sailing through a sea of roses.

That's why I think you shouldn't do these trips for us, you should do it for you! Why would Tensor delete your post?

Ok, I just read back some of the chat last night. (The transcript was still there, I passed out with chat open)

Firstly. No names shall be mentioned. But what a certain few users have said has made me feel like I don't want to do this anymore. While I know a good deal of you are grateful and understanding when it comes to reporting... The comments I read back last night has pushed me to a point were I just want to peace out on this. 

Let me point out, I put 100% effort in for every fan here. I travel across the world, Get every detail I can between tapings, Wait in line hours to get into tapings and work my ass off at home to make this happen. I know I can't please everyone or its not possible to remember every single detail. Especially since I only got to the US the day before the taping and am struggling to adjust the the time change. 

Whilst most of you are understanding of this, And I am ever so grateful. The comment I have just read back have upset me incredibly. To the point were I feel like I can't do this anymore, And the fear of last night chat events being repeated is just to much to deal with. 

I do this to get you guys what you need, and more importantly have fun. And right now I don't feel the fun side of it.

Tensor, feel free to delete this or whatever. Im just putting out there that this is all not happy sailing through a sea of roses.

seriously!  People should be happy with whatever crumbs they get as far as spoilers go...and not put people on blast for their reporting, or leaving out something or getting something wrong.  100 thank yous is more appropriate!!!

Jeez.....we all love the show, we all enjoy our fandom, lets stop getting down on others so much!!! 

• Like 8

Michy I just gotta say, I love the way you wrote the report, it was very funny

Also thanks to michy, Kazzie and dana for all the details in chat, its all greatly appreciated :)

• Like 4

I can't get on chat so I don't know what was said by whom or what's going on. I love any little tidbits we get regardless of how accurate the info is. At least we get a general idea of what the episode is. And I would hate to lose the TR all because of a few idiots that have to say stuff that makes people like Kazzie, Michy and others not want to do it anymore. So here's an idea....call the idiots out. Name them. Let those of us who don't (or can't) get on chat know what's going on. Then the rest of us can give them grieve about it and hopefully, they'll be more appreciative and careful what they complain about.

• Like 1

I don't find Sheldon's swastika line offensive at all.  Are we not allowed to even mention the holocaust or that the Nazis existed?

I think that one cannot say that Sheldon is a grown man and he should know better when we are reminded again and again that A) he has no filter, or very little filter, and B ) he is simply thinking of ways to pump up his FWF shows, like apparently dressing in blackface for Black History Month, or dressing up as a Bavarian and having Amy dress as a pretzel or a kangaroo or whatever.

And as someone else pointed out, the show makes a statement about it by having Burton be offended, both by the swastika line (though part of him slamming the door might simply be because he thinks SHeldon is crazy) and by the Black History segment.

Again, I don't think that by mentioning a swastika (or planning to have one in his German flag segment) Sheldon is trying to say that he approves of the Nazis or the holocaust or is being disrespectful.  If he's talking about flags of Germany, then showing a Nazi flag would be a part of that.  It's not like that didn't happen.

Anyway, Sheldon is always going to be inappropriate in some ways.  That's who he is.  And I think the show usually makes a strong point of showing that he's wrong or inappropriate, etc..  That he doesn't see it, or whatever, is part of his personality.  The slave comments at Thanksgiving last year were purposefully shown to be wrong, but shown to show Sheldon's bad attitude and outrageous self-centeredness in using such an image to try to illustrate how unhappy he was with the whole idea.  Amy kept scolding him about it, and he, like the petulant child he can be, kept wallowing in it.  He had an attitude problem with having to go to Mrs. Wolowitz's house and he wanted to make sure she knew it.

So I think it's not just a matter of a particular word or whatever.  Sheldon obviously has nothing against black people, or Jewish people, or whoever.  The only "group" of people he seems to have disdain for a "hippy dippy" types or stupid people.

Even the "homosexual rabbits" line wasn't really, I don't think, about judging anyone for being homosexual.  He was simply commenting about what the book was about, since he was looking for a specific type.

As for his upbringing, while Sheldon does eschew some of what he was taught, we've seen again and again that a lot of his upbringing has stuck with him and colors his attitudes.  I think that that can apply to many people, even after they've grown and even if they change some of their attitudes later in life.  Unless you look at your upbringing with complete disdain and turn your back on everything you learned at home (and Sheldon obviously has not done that), then a lot of what you learned is going to at least color your perspective.

But again, I don't think Sheldon said anything offensive with the swastika line.  Since we don't know what he was planning to do in relation to the Nazi Swastika flag, we don't know what he was going to say or do other than he was thinking of having Burton dress up to help illustrate something about that flag.  The line was, as someone else said, obviously there for shock/comedic value, not meant to be any kind of denigration of the holocaust.

• Like 3

well  I have no idea what happened in the chat  and I don't know whose involved. I lasted about a minute and left, because I can't keep up usually but I will say that no one should be ungrateful to any one for doing a report. it seems like a stressful job, even if the experience is fun. 

We should be glad we got such an awesome report from michy and everyone who went.

that's my two pence anyway :)

• Like 1

Guys that you do so much for the taping reports you give us, make you all really lovely people. Also, please understand that most of us adore you for doing this for us. The world is always going to have people who are still going to complain about anything you do for them, some people you can never make happy. I hope you can find it in you heart to ignore those people and understand the majority of us are thankful for what you do for us, because we will probably never get to go to a taping. I personality am just as happy with an episode overview as a detailed report and I find the BTS stuff extremely interesting, so whatever you can give us is great and I am comfortable is saying that I think I am speaking for a lot of the people on this forum.

• Like 9

Okay so I'm going to comment on the two big issues at hand.

First of all, the tag scene was pretty terrible. I'm not about to make excuses for the writers because it is tragically consistent with their writing of Sheldon (and other characters) to make offensive and racist jokes that range from mild to horrifying. The writers have said before that the point of these jokes is not to condone the behavior or thought process but to shine a bit of a realistic light on the attitudes of some people in this world who might have been raised in a conservative, deeply religious, or simply just ignorant households or families. But they stand stoutly behind their insistence that they do not agree with those sentiments, only that it is a flaw of the character. Sheldon has proven to be completely ignorant on these issues before, so while I'm not surprised by it, I'm still not happy about it.

That said, the unfortunate fact of these tapings is that the audience is made to laugh at everything whether we think it's funny or not. Sometimes you just can't force a laugh up, like the girls and I found last night. It's hard enough to force yourself to laugh at a bad racist joke the first time. But especially on the second and third times, you just can't make it come out. Then again, for some people in the audience, they do it just because they have to, whether they think it's funny or not. And sometimes the laughter comes because you see the reaction on the other character's face (in this case, LeVar Burton) and you laugh at that because yeah, that's exactly how you're feeling too. It's funny because it's real as hell what he's feeling. But audience laughter doesn't always mean approval of a joke. And so unfortunately, I can see the joke staying in the episode because there wasn't any real outcry over it. We as an audience (in general, all fans of the show) have almost been conditioned to expect and even find humorous Sheldon's ignorance when it comes to sensitive matters, and where race is concerned, the line just doesn't stop, unfortunately. So we have to live with that. It would be great to see a rewrite or a cut, but because the scene was shot with a guest star like LeVar Burton, I don't see how it's possible to do either. 

With that out of the way, I'd like to, very briefly, address the issues in chat last night. I've already spoken to this, and I was a bit hot-headed at the time because I was quite honestly shocked at the behavior of some users that if a person who attends a taping leaves one line out, they've somehow done it on purpose because it wasn't up to their own personal standards. I can personally attest that not Kazzie nor myself intentionally left anything out of our initial chat reports. We were both exhausted. We had gotten up at 6 a.m. to get in the standby line and spend 16 hours at the studio. Tapings last 3-4 hours, and by the time you get out of it, your brain is reeling. It's not the same as watching a 22 minute episode. You lose track of the small moments as you go. I can promise that when Sheldon said the line about personally thanking Amy, we both reacted hard. (Kazzie made actual vocal noises.) But it was wedged in the middle of the taping and by the time we walked out, all we were thinking about was the stupid swastika joke and it was not either of our intention to leave out any Shamy moments, big or small.

It's also not possible for us to discern what the fandom will want to hear most or react to first. That line would have been reported in the full report regardless. It wouldn't have been left out. We simply didn't get to it in the first 20-30 minutes of chat. Thank god for Dana who had a long drive home and remembered by the time she joined us in chat and she was able to report it. That's the beauty of having several people attend. We all remember different moments the most. That was one she remembered the most. I remembered the navy/sailor scene the most. We have no way of knowing what people are going to think are big or small moments, and it is literally impossible to report it all right out of the gate. It took me four hours to write everything down. So please understand that, yes, while we do these things because we want to and no one is forcing us, you also have to understand that it takes time and your patience is greatly appreciated. It is physically and literally impossible to report the entire 3-4 hour taping right off the bat when we join chat. 

I think the best thing, going forward, at least for me, is to forego the chat and just do a report. That way people aren't getting bits and pieces, no one is mis-interpreting, and no one is getting upset for one character, couple, or storyline being more heavily reported first over another, and no one is making accusations that someone could possibly leave something out intentionally because they personally didn't think it was sexually charged enough. We're all here because we love the show and we love the characters, so let's please try to remember that.

Well, from what you're saying about chat I fear it might be me that you're talking about because I was trying to figure out what was said because there was some very confusing lines about Sheldon calling Amy "dear", but I couldn't understand what was being said about that--like in what context or whatever.

I don't know what you do or do not remember, and I do know that Kazzie finally said that it was in playback and that's why it was harder to remember the details.  And that's fine.

It's just that in chat, there are all these bits and pieces being mentioned and it's hard to understand what is being said.  Sometimes the chat comments are straightforward and linear, but last night it was a little confusing.  That's why I was asking for clarification.

And I understood that Kazzie was falling asleep--but Michy, you're the one who told her that she was "up", as in the chat discussion of the episode was on her, as you were starting to work on the report. 

I don't think I was the only one who was trying to understand what happened in the ep, but I don't think it's a matter of people being "demanding" about the reporting.  But if the routine is that the attendees go into the chat room to talk about the episode, then why is it wrong for people to ask questions about it?

I don't think that anyone here is intentionally being demanding about the reports, or insistent or whatever.  But since it's become something of a routine, then that does breed expectation.

I do think it's true that no one should feel obligated to do a report, or feel that they owe anyone anything, or that they're attending for the other fans and not for themselves.  But I do think that the fans, especially in the chat room following a taping, are going to be curious and eager and excited about details.  I don't think anyone intends to be rude--I know I didn't--but it can be hard to figure out what is being said, if anything, in the chatroom.

All that being said, I may have to just wait until the TR is posted and forego the chatroom myself.  If asking questions and wanting clarification about something is considered rude--and it's hard to tell, without knowing which comments y'all are talking about--then maybe, for me, it's best not to participate.

No. It got a little nasty, in fact. I tried to follow it but in the end instead of joining in to try to calm things down I chickened out and just signed off.

• Like 2

Guys that you do so much for the taping reports you give us, make you all really lovely people. Also, please understand that most of us adore you for doing this for us. The world is always going to have people who are still going to complain about anything you do for them, some people you can never make happy. I hope you can find it in you heart to ignore those people and understand the majority of us are thankful for what you do for us, because we will probably never get to go to a taping. I personality am just as happy with an episode overview as a detailed report and I find the BTS stuff extremely interesting, so whatever you can give us is great and I am comfortable is saying that I think I am speaking for a lot of the people on this forum.

Believe me, I am aware of the users who are patient and grateful of the taping attendees, whether it's myself or other users. We just want to address the attitudes of a very, very small percentage of users who are not quite as understanding.

Well, from what you're saying about chat I fear it might be me that you're talking about because I was trying to figure out what was said because there was some very confusing lines about Sheldon calling Amy "dear", but I couldn't understand what was being said about that--like in what context or whatever.

I don't know what you do or do not remember, and I do know that Kazzie finally said that it was in playback and that's why it was harder to remember the details.  And that's fine.

It's just that in chat, there are all these bits and pieces being mentioned and it's hard to understand what is being said.  Sometimes the chat comments are straightforward and linear, but last night it was a little confusing.  That's why I was asking for clarification.

And I understood that Kazzie was falling asleep--but Michy, you're the one who told her that she was "up", as in the chat discussion of the episode was on her, as you were starting to work on the report. 

I don't think I was the only one who was trying to understand what happened in the ep, but I don't think it's a matter of people being "demanding" about the reporting.  But if the routine is that the attendees go into the chat room to talk about the episode, then why is it wrong for people to ask questions about it?

I don't think that anyone here is intentionally being demanding about the reports, or insistent or whatever.  But since it's become something of a routine, then that does breed expectation.

I do think it's true that no one should feel obligated to do a report, or feel that they owe anyone anything, or that they're attending for the other fans and not for themselves.  But I do think that the fans, especially in the chat room following a taping, are going to be curious and eager and excited about details.  I don't think anyone intends to be rude--I know I didn't--but it can be hard to figure out what is being said, if anything, in the chatroom.

All that being said, I may have to just wait until the TR is posted and forego the chatroom myself.  If asking questions and wanting clarification about something is considered rude--and it's hard to tell, without knowing which comments y'all are talking about--then maybe, for me, it's best not to participate.

It was long after you left, phanta, that this happened, so don't worry, it was not you. The person who created the drama knows who they are, and I have no interest in further delineating the matter except to say that there were deliberate accusations that myself or other members attending had intentionally left out information because it was not up to our personal standards, and then there proceeded to be vicious attacks on other members of this site who were 1) not even present at the taping and 2) had no part in the original discussion at all and no reason to be attacked. 

• Like 2

It wasn't u phanta

Thanks, but I may still stay out of it, because I don't really know what's considered "demanding" and what isn't in this context.

I'm fairly new here, but I'm shocked people would be so demanding when it comes to spoilers. They're a privilege, not a right! So, from someone who mostly lurks, thank you to anyone who goes to a taping and gives us any spoilers!

Personally, I like having less detailed spoilers because then there's more of a surprise when I see the episode (but I still read the super detailed taping reports because I have no willpower... I'll take whatever I can get!).  :icon_cheesygrin:

On last night's taping, I'll have to see how the swastika flag joke plays out, but generally I don't see the need to be politically correct all the time in comedy, so if it's funny and not personally insulting someone, go for it.

• Like 3

Thanks, but I may still stay out of it, because I don't really know what's considered "demanding" and what isn't in this context.

Asking questions is not the issue we're talking about. It's the personal attacks on users we're talking about. I'm not interested in airing the dirty laundry all over this forum, so I would really love to see this matter dropped now, as it should have died in chat last night. 

• Like 3

I just like to say that you guys that go to taping and write those wonderful TRS are amazing and do a brilliant job. big shout out to Michy, Kazzie & Dana for another wonderful report by the way. Why can't ppls be happy with what they get and be glad we got one. If this trend continues, just avoid chat get a well deserved sleep why everyone waits for the TR the next day. That teach them & I don't mind waiting because I understand what a long day it can be & you guys definitely don't deserve any grief.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 7

All this is beyond my understanding. How something that so many of us find joy and elation in can be turned around and be used to verbally assault those who add to our enjoyment? Again, beyond my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 5

Wow...I am kind of glad I left chat early on because I have no clue what you are referring to and don't really want to know the details.  But now I am confused by the "thanking Amy" line you mentioned above.   I don't remember there being a discussion about it or reading it, but that is okay if you don't want to clarify where he thanks her. 

I for one appreciate any tidbit we get.  Even just what Kazzie tweeted was great stuff.   It was enough to give us the basics of what the show was about and if that was all we would have gotten I still would have been pleased.   So just to let you all know (all of you who attend and are gracious enough to report anything), we appreciate you!   It is hard enough to follow their story and then document details.  I am amazed by all of you.   Maybe it is  my old age setting in and showing, but I would have such a hard time remembering all the facts you all seem to recall so kudos!

Most important, I don't want anyone who goes to these tapings to think that we are owed a thing.   It is far more important you all get to enjoy the experience and get to neighbor with fellow fans while there.   And when the taping sessions are over, it is important you take care of yourselves first.  We were worried about how tired you all were. 

Anyway, thanks again for the report, Michy and for the tidbits from Kazzie and Dana as well.   I didn't stick around for Dana's comments so missed anything she added, but appreciate her updating others.  

May I make a suggestion about chat during nights of taping?   I think there needs to be a better protocol for making it easier to follow those reporting.   So here are some random thoughts I would suggest and we can ignore them or whatever you want, but at least consider them please:

1)  Before entering chat, check to see if any summary has been posted in the Discussion/Spoilers thread.  That way you come in with as much as we usually have as well in the chat room.

2)  When entering, if it is around 10 PM CA time or later, please try to refrain from asking if they are out, etc.  Just observe for a few moments the conversation and you can usually tell from that alone.  So if someone that was at the taping is already spilling info, the info isn't scrolling off so fast you can't go catch up.  

3) if people want to comment to each other on details that the person attending the taping is spilling, perhaps use private chat instead of the main chatroom, again to reduce traffic on the main chatroom so that the flow is not lost and we can get a better sense of the story.

4) allow the person attending the taping to do most of the posting during chat so that they can get what they want said first...then allow questions to come in later.

I know Phanta and many others of us were confused last night because there was so much disconnection going on due to all the interruptions and to be honest...the episode was a bit confusing to document anyway.  The girls did a great job in doing so...but there was so much side stuff going on (infighting between fan members, made up stories in lieu of real ones, etc.) that it was impossible to tell what was real, what wasn't and I felt bad that Phanta had to ask several times one simple question that could have had a quick answer but because of all the buzz going on her question kept scrolling off and wasn't getting answered.  I wanted to know what she asked and I am sure others did as well.

I just think if we improved a protocol and adhered to it, it would be a lot easier to get the information in the chat room and reduce a lot of the frustration that seems to play out in there.   It does come across like we are ungrateful when we are just frustrated that the "chatter" is interrupting those reporting and it becomes confusing.

As I said, this can be taken with a grain of salt, but just some thoughts I had after I left the room (shortly after Dana arrived).  

• Like 4

Wow...I am kind of glad I left chat early on because I have no clue what you are referring to and don't really want to know the details.  But now I am confused by the "thanking Amy" line you mentioned above.   I don't remember there being a discussion about it or reading it, but that is okay if you don't want to clarify where he thanks her. 

It's in the report, but basically as Sheldon is signing off at the end of his FWF episode, he personally thanks Amy for helping him cohost the series. Kazzie and I initially forgot about that part in our first 10-20 minutes reporting, and there were accusations that we did so on purpose.

That said, I am truly done on the matter and hope we can all get back to talking about the episode now because there was a lot of material to discuss as all three plotlines were given equal air time and they all dealt with a similar theme of reflection, and I think it's all interesting to discuss so, let's please do that and not linger any more on the drama from last night.

The episode sounds like a blast! Fwf is always fun so looking forward to that and the special guests

Yeah, this episode had quite a few. Two of them were only in playback (John Ross Bowie and Paul Wilson) but they were there for the curtain call at the end. :)

• Like 4

Asking questions is not the issue we're talking about. It's the personal attacks on users we're talking about. I'm not interested in airing the dirty laundry all over this forum, so I would really love to see this matter dropped now, as it should have died in chat last night. 

Well, thanks again.  With the discussions that have arisen on this topic before and today, I never quite know where the line is, because the word "demanding" is used, or whatever, and it feels vague to me.

I can't tell whether it's considered demanding to ask certain kinds of questions--am I, perhaps, being rude in my tone? Am I asking the wrong question?  Am I putting someone on the spot?

I guess I've missed out on some of the drama, but then the way it gets discussed later makes me feel paranoid.  I'm not blaming anyone for bringing the issue up, but I can't always tell how my input is being received.  I know I've had people in chat get annoyed or even angry with me (not over taping reports, but in other situations), or start mocking me (rarely) so sometimes I get worried.

And now to leave this discussion on a lighter note--is it bad that every time I typed "Am I..." above, my fingers automatically typed "Amy"...? :p