S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

Exactly, That's why it can appear to be the Sheldon Show.

Why? He couldn't say goodbye at the apartment? And Leonard really looked happy that he was there, didn't he?

But they are OK with running a heavy romantic moment with Sheldon and Amy, without interruption. How does that not make it

And for the most romantic moment of that whole thing, they weren't together and it wasn't even in the hall.

You can say that about any of the fans and especially fans that have a ship they enjoy. How many Lenny's had a problem with Sheldon calling Leonard to come and get him in Arizona. How many Shamy's had a big problem with it? I seem to remember you were upset about the line where Leonard suggested that Sheldon move to 4B, I really had no though about it, until I saw the complaints about it. And I never had a problem with Sheldon leaving without calling Amy.

Exactly, they write Sheldon into scenes where they wouldn't write Leonard if it was turned around. How does that not make it appear to be the Sheldon show? But, I suppose, if your ship's moments aren't getting interrupted, then there's nothing to complain about, is there?

Yep, Leonard turned down the proposal, now thinks they may be broken up, but let's bring Sheldon it to run off Penny and try to tell a joke. The scene doesn't really mean anything so it's OK to bring him in to interrupt. So, why did Sheldon have to be there at all, other than to insert him into the scene? How does it not make it appear to be the Sheldon Show?

Yeah, all they had them do was to argue for the first two and a half minutes, then had it seem as if they were both settling. Really romantic, except for the last thirty seconds.

But it only seems to be funny to insert Sheldon into serious Lenard and Penny moments, but not the other way around for some reason. Either they can't seem to write the other way, or it's the we have to insert Sheldon here, because it's the Sheldon show.

They seemed to be able to make Sheldon taking care of Amy funny, without inserting Leonard into it. Are you saying they aren't good enough writers to make Penny taking care of Leonard funny?

I thought the white board was funny also, but it still doesn't mean he had to be at the hospital. Again, Leonard is getting surgery, but it's all about Sheldon's paranoia, how isn't that being the Sheldon show?

I've never said, and not saying that they aren't telling the story they want to tell, but that story includes a lot of insertions of Sheldon into a lot of Lenny scenes where he doesn't really belong or has any real reason to be in, from a storytelling standpoint. But, somehow, those same insertions don't happen with Leonard, again, how does that not seem to make it the Sheldon show?

But it still ends up with Sheldon being inserted more than anyone else, even when he's not there. Like when Penny and Leonard were having dinner together, talking about their engagement and plans, a nice sweet moment. Suddenly Amy comes by to ask about Sheldon. I realize that we're never going to agree on this, and neither are the particular shippers. You and others interpret it your way, I and others see it a different way. Again, I have no problem with them concentrating on Sheldon and Shamy, There are real things they have to work on. it's the gratuitous dropping of him into other scenes that give the appearance, for me and the other that have complained about it, the appearance of the Sheldon Show.

It isn't a Sheldon show (although it came close to it lately) and it definitely wasn't that for the past few seasons.

That way you can also say that it is a Leonard and Penny show because wouldn't work without them as much as it wouldn't work without Sheldon.

Sure, Sheldon interrupted Leonard/Penny moment at the end of season six. But there was no Shamy moment at the end of seventh season. Instead, Sheldon had a moment with Leonard and Penny (not that they interrupted Shamy moment). Howard/Bernadette development in season five finale was pretty rushed, although they ended up getting married. I think that had been done intentionally by writers to increase the tension and viewer's interest. With Lenny, Sheldon was only a further factor to increase it.

I think that there is a simple explanation for Sheldon often interrupting Lenny moments: humor. Shamy dates are often as funny as they are because, well, you never see anyone else being on a date like that. Talking about science, word puns that are often made thanks to that, their disagreements regarding physical intimacy etc. Lenny dates are much less quicrker and unusual. So, when writers want to make a humor out of Lenny scenes, the best way to do that is to insert somebody completely opposite from them. Such as Sheldon.

Despite that, Lenny had lot of intimate uninterrupted moments during the last few seasons, such as in "The Hologramic Excitation", "The Closure Alternative", "The Friendship Turbulence". The only time when their character development moment was interrupted by Sheldon was in season six finale, for reasons mentioned above.

Yes, their engagement was preceeded by arguments and I agree that there is more to be desired there. But Shamy kiss in "The Locomotive Manipulation" was also preceeded by Sheldon and Amy arguing and with Amy being unhappy and was rarely even mentioned since, also we rarely got to see them kiss since then.

I agree that the whole Sheldon/Shamy thing may be overplayed lately and as I am Lenny shipper too the lack of Lenny scenes lately starts to annoy me. But I don't think that the show became Sheldon show during the last few seasons and I don't see that continuing in the future, also I don't think that the shoe had been treating Shamy better then Lenny for the first few years (so to say).

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you guys can't see it. No change there or suprised. Really, mostly all episodes so far this season has in some way being about Sheldon & his issues.But obviously as Sheldon fans, everyone else is wrong, like I said in earlier post. It's going to be the Sheldon show till the end of the series & the only thing I am looking forward to now is lennys wedding which he probably ruin & will be all about Sheldon. Wouldn't be suprised if he plans the wedding for them as well.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

My contention wasnt that there has been a huge focus on Sheldon this season. My issue was with this idea that Sheldon is inserted into plots or storylines which have nothing to do with him (especially when it comes to Lenny). That is not currently happening and hasn't happened in quite a while. This idea that Sheldon is always in Leonard and Penny's business is no longer a valid one. Edited by nickelette424

Of course you guys can't see it. No change there or suprised. Really, mostly all episodes so far this season has in some way being about Sheldon & his issues.But obviously as Sheldon fans, everyone else is wrong, like I said in earlier post. It's going to be the Sheldon show till the end of the series & the only thing I am looking forward to now is lennys wedding which he probably ruin & will be all about Sheldon. Wouldn't be suprised if he plans the wedding for them as well.

Leonard's and Penny's relationship developed very well throughout the season six and seven. Sheldon and Amy's relationship has yet to develop, and Sheldon still has to undergo lots of character development. That was the reason for season 7 cliffhanger, and this is a follow up.

I understand that show focusing on Sheldon may bother you more than the show focusing more on other characters, but really, that is nothing new. After all, after Howard came back from space in season six, him being an astronaut and the impact that had on him and the others was a recurring theme, as joke or otherwise, throughout the first half of the season. Season seven with development in Leonard and Penny's relationship and Raj learning how to communicate (well) with women without being drunk.

I ship both Lenny and Shamy, and I am too annoyed by the lack of Lenny scenes lately. But I am not concerned because I know that Lenny will catch up that eventually, for the reasons stated above. Not to mention that it is obvious that they are in a stable committed relationship and happy.

And despite the show not focusing much on Leonard and Penny lately, Sheldon is not interrupting them or interfering with their relationship. Even in earlier seasons he didn't do that as much as you claim.

Edited by Mislav

My contention wasnt that there has been a huge focus on Sheldon this season. My issue was with this idea that Sheldon is inserted into plots or storylines which have nothing to do with him (especially when it comes to Lenny). That is not currently happening and hasn't happened in quite a while. This idea that Sheldon is always in Leonard and Penny's business is no longer a valid one.

He inserted himself in Septum Deviation. That wasn't his business.

He did that because he was worried about Leonard. How is that none of his business if Leonard is his best friend and roommate for almost a decade?

And even if we take that as him interfering with their relationship, that doesn't mean that he always does that.

Edited by Mislav

He did that because he was worried about Leonard. How is that none of his business if Leonard is his best friend and roommate for almost a decade?

And even if we take that as him interfering with their relationship, that doesn't mean that he always does that.

But Raj and Howard have been his friend for a decade also. Where were they? Also Amy had Sheldon in her car. She could of drove him anywhere or told him no we're not going. Of course she would of have to had a spine to do that.

My contention wasnt that there has been a huge focus on Sheldon this season. My issue was with this idea that Sheldon is inserted into plots or storylines which have nothing to do with him (especially when it comes to Lenny). That is not currently happening and hasn't happened in quite a while. This idea that Sheldon is always in Leonard and Penny's business is no longer a valid one.

So Sheldon contantly putting down the Lenny relationship this season & even encouraging that Dr lovell to go after penny by telling him all bets are taken on when they split is not inserting or in lennys business..

the point of Spectrum was to showcase the Leonard & Sheldon relationship.  Penny, and Amy for that matter, where backgrounds.   Before Spectrum there hasn't been a "bromance" sort of episode in a long time.  And also to remind people how much they mean to each other, but also how Leonard is really the only male person in Sheldon's life to look up to.  He was scared to loose him.  Even from the opening you knew this was going to be a Leonard & Sheldon episode (which I enjoyed because if we are really going back in time its something that has been missing...the banter of those two). 

As far as Sheldon putting down Lenny.  Listen, its a comedy, and that is mainly for laughs.   But, Sheldon's snarky comments are a defense mechanism.  He obviously loves and cares about Leonard & Penny separately & together.  He does want them happy and before season 8, he saw them as his sutto mother/father.  He still goes to them for advice.

Listen we can go round and round, and I do think we all understand each others frustrations when storylines you hope develop don't....But I really do believe the 2nd half of the season will change.  It happened last year.

Edited by kerrycec03

He wasn't just randomly inserted in that plot. That plot was about he and Leonard. That is different from the S6 finale when his presence added nothing to the story. In Septum, he was the story. If you wanna complain that the story should have been about Leonard and Penny, that is a separate issue.

So Sheldon contantly putting down the Lenny relationship this season & even encouraging that Dr lovell to go after penny by telling him all bets are taken on when they split is not inserting or in lennys business..

Sheldon mentioned their relationship in two of 11 episodes. One in which he was just doing so to boast his own. There has been very little interaction between Sheldon and Lenny as a couple this season. Btw,I also don't think Sheldon encouraged the doctor to go after Penny.

Edited by nickelette424

But Raj and Howard have been his friend for a decade also. Where were they? Also Amy had Sheldon in her car. She could of drove him anywhere or told him no we're not going. Of course she would of have to had a spine to do that.

Yeah, Amy bashing. Very mature.

First of all, we never got to see how exactly the aftermath played out. How exactly did Sheldon got out of the car and into the hospital.

Also, use your brain and try to imagine yourself driving with hysterical Sheldon on the passenger seat all the way back to his apartment. Not a very smart or safe thing to do.

And in the end, that wan't a Lenny episode. It was an episode meant to focus on Sheldon and Leonard's friendship.

That's my point. Not every episode has to be about Sheldon. It should of been a Leonard/Penny story. There's no need to show Sheldon as a special needs child and Amy as his mommy.

The episode wasn't only about Sheldon, it was about Leonard too, and their friendship, that is the core of the canon.

And no offencs your last line is, in my opinion, disgusting, but I am sure that you knew that but decided to write it anyway.

Sheldon's behaivour was true to his character, not the one of a special needs child. What special needs child has an IQ of 187 and an eidetic memory? And keeping in mind your obvious dislike of Sheldon, comparing him to a special needs child is just offensive on so many levels. And now, your comparing of Sheldon's girlfriend to his mommy is just creepy and malicious. Think before you post. Also, why exactly should that had been a Leonard/Penny story?

Edited by Mislav

Yeah, Amy bashing. Very mature.

First of all, we never got to see how exactly the aftermath played out. How exactly did Sheldon got out of the car and into the hospital.

Also, use your brain and try to imagine yourself driving with hysterical Sheldon on the passenger seat all the way back to his apartment. Not a very smart or safe thing to do.

And in the end, that wan't a Lenny episode. It was an episode meant to focus on Sheldon and Leonard's friendship.

I think you mistyped mature and meant honest. He was hysterical at the hospital not in the car. Obviously it wasn't too safe for Sheldon at the hospital. A better question is why Sheldon is inserted into Lennys relationship? I would love to see Leonard or Penny insert themselves in Shamys relationship. I could only imagine all the complaining.

He wasn't just randomly inserted in that plot. That plot was about he and Leonard. That is different from the S6 finale when his presence added nothing to the story. In Septum, he was the story. If you wanna complain that the story should have been about Leonard and Penny, that is a separate issue.

Sheldon mentioned their relationship in two of 11 episodes. One in which he was just doing so to boast his own. There has been very little interaction between Sheldon and Lenny as a couple this season. Btw,I also don't think Sheldon encouraged the doctor to go after Penny.

Of course you don't. Sheldon said all bets are taken & he knew the doctor was going after penny thats why sheldon approached Leonard & was about to tell him but changed his mind & came out with that lame joke. He knew if he told Leonard, he would have been out of there, & ruined Sheldon's fun time. Some friend.

That's my point. Not every episode has to be about Sheldon. It should of been a Leonard/Penny story. There's no need to show Sheldon as a special needs child and Amy as his mommy.

You know, it would be a lot easier to respect your opinion if you didn't always reduce yourself to nasty insults about certain characters. Can't have a logical conversation with you about Sheldon or Amy because you hate them and are so biased against them.

You know, it would be a lot easier to respect your opinion if you didn't always reduce yourself to nasty insults about certain characters. Can't have a logical conversation with you about Sheldon or Amy because you hate them and are so biased against them.

It would easier to respect your opinion and others if you focused on the entire show instead of your personal favorites.

Of course you don't. Sheldon said all bets are taken & he knew the doctor was going after penny thats why sheldon approached Leonard & was about to tell him but changed his mind & came out with that lame joke. He knew if he told Leonard, he would have been out of there, & ruined Sheldon's fun time. Some friend.

It wasn't Sheldon's intention to send the doctor after Penny. He went to Leonard after he realized that is what the doc was headed to do. But I think it is seriously reaching to think that Sheldon would encourage someone to come between Lenny's relationship. Edited by nickelette424

I think you mistyped mature and meant honest. He was hysterical at the hospital not in the car. Obviously it wasn't too safe for Sheldon at the hospital. A better question is why Sheldon is inserted into Lennys relationship? I would love to see Leonard or Penny insert themselves in Shamys relationship. I could only imagine all the complaining.

How exactly did Sheldon insert himself in Leonard and Penny's relationship? He didn't interrupt a moment between them. Leonard was already in the operating room when he got in the hospital. He barely exchanged few words with Penny.

The only reason why the hospital became extremely unsafe place for Sheldon was the

earthquake. Something unpredictable.

And do you really think that driving hysterical Sheldom back home would be smart and safe idea?

It would easier to respect your opinion and others if you focused on the entire show instead of your personal favorites.

It would also be easier to respect your opinion if you would stop showing your hatred to Sheldon by comparing him to a special needs child, among other things.

Also nickelette did focus on the entire show, he just disagreed with you about certain things. You are the one who started bashing Sheldon and Amy and make malicious and offensive comparissons in order to make a point.

Edited by Mislav

It wasn't Sheldon'show intention to send the doctor after Penny. He went to Leonard after he realized that is what the doc was headed to do. But I think it is seriously reaching to think that Sheldon would encourage someone to come between Lenny's relationship.

But if you watched the episode Tonstar is right. He did encourage the doctor to come between the relationship. That's why he went back to Penny's. Did Sheldon really mean to do that? I can only go by what he did not what he meant.

The next time I nasty things about any character on this show will be a first. I have favorites but I also like all of the characters, unlike you. I do focus on the entire show and I don't get my panties in a twist when my favorites aren't the focal point.

It's not even about personal favourites at this point. It's just plain rude and immature. I honestly can't respect anyone who's main argument on any aspect of a show is nothing more than a series of lame taunts. I can respect anyone not liking and even complaining about certain of my favourite characters so long as their argument for that point of view is intelligently (read respectfully worded) expressed. Many of your fellow shippers are quite capable of it and I love discussing / debating with them. Maybe you could take a page or two from their book. Edited by CaffeineBuzz

But if you watched the episode Tonstar is right. He did encourage the doctor to come between the relationship. That's why he went back to Penny's. Did Sheldon really mean to do that? I can only go by what he did not what he meant.

He was talking about taking bets as to whether or not their relationship would last. But that was it am I correct? If I am missing a line in there where he says something like, "I don't think it's gonna last, you should go for it" then so be it, but I don't remember such a thing. I know he encouraged him earlier in the episode, but that was before he knew that he was after Penny.

The problem with the episode for many Lenny fans is that most want Leonard and Penny living together. Episodes like this IMO send the Lenny relationship backwards. We know Sheldon and Leonard are best friends. We didn't need an episode to show us that. So Sheldon's antics did get in the way of Lenny moments especially at the end. It seems to me a better ending would of been Sheldon over at Amy's taking care of him and Penny taking care of Leonard at Penny's.

The problem with the episode for many Lenny fans is that most want Leonard and Penny living together. Episodes like this IMO send the Lenny relationship backwards. We know Sheldon and Leonard are best friends. We didn't need an episode to show us that. So Sheldon's antics did get in the way of Lenny moments especially at the end. It seems to me a better ending would of been Sheldon over at Amy's taking care of him and Penny taking care of Leonard at Penny's.

That way we could also say that, since we already know that Leonard and Penny are engaged and happy, we don't need am episode the explore it further, making your complaints invalid.

I would like to see an episode that focuses on Leonard and Penny more but I am not angry about lack of that neither am I bashing Sheldon, for the reasons that I already listed few pages ago (first half of the new season tends to focus more on a character that went on a trip in a previous season finale but other characters catch up).

Also, why didn't you explain that right away rather than comparing Sheldon to special needs child?

Edited by Mislav