S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

Why was Sheldon in penny's room? Maintaining homeostasis and/or hurting his friend. did he realize that hurting his friend might sound more important than maintaining homeostasis?

Of course YMMV, but the difference in tone between the homeostasis line, and his "Please don't hurt my friend" sounded genuine to me.

Penny took Schrödinger's cat as going out with Leonard. Sheldon never said that. is that what he meant? I can't say your wrong or right for sure.

While he never said that, I can't see how his explanation vis a vis Penny and Leonard's relationship can be thought of any other way. Penny obviously thought that is what he meant. Here's the important part of the conversation:

Sheldon: Just like Schrodinger’s Cat, your potential relationship with Leonard right now can be thought of as both good and bad. It is only by opening the box that you’ll find out which it is.

Penny: Okay, so you’re saying I should go out with Leonard.

And then Sheldon no and starts explaining again. While he might not have meant it that way, that is the way it came out. I can't think of any other way to take it. It's the obvious comparisons between having to open the box to find out if the cat is alive or dead, and Leonard and Penny having to go out, to find out if their relationship is good or bad. From her quote, that is the way Penny took it.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, well since you asked.

You honestly believe that Sheldon would be jealous of Lenny's simplistic relationship compared to what he has with Amy? Seriously? What would he be jealous of exactly?

What is so complex about Shamy's relationship? Edited by Chrismo

I feel like I'm talking to a dolphin. Someone posted that hence why I was asking the reasoning

Resorting to insults now are we? And you wonder why I said your too lazy haha. Tonstar was just speculating, seeing he seems to diminish their relationship every chance he gets. The ep where he tried to proove he has a better relationship with Amy, just because he wan some stupid test, was proof enough. 

What is so complex about Shamy's relationship?

They are not, their fans just think they are ;). They are a boy and girl in a relationship, wow unique. 

This answers none of my questions.

How about this, Dena. Sheldon knows Amy wants a more intimate relationship, but he can't give it too her, yet. He could be jealous of Lenny having the physical intimacy that Amy wants. After all, he does love her, so he has to be sensitive to her feelings on that matter, as she is sensitive to his struggle with it.

The interesting thing is the we dont get to see what goes on in the L/P relationship without Sheldon as a participant. We dont really know how rich and rewarding it is except by inference. We do get to see Sheldon and Amy play together. Which brings us back to where we were many posts ago about where they always point the camera. C'est la guerre.

Resorting to insults now are we? And you wonder why I said your too lazy haha. Tonstar was just speculating, seeing he seems to diminish their relationship every chance he gets. The ep where he tried to proove he has a better relationship with Amy, just because he wan some stupid test, was proof enough. 

They are not, their fans just think they are ;). They are a boy and girl in a relationship, wow unique.

Your entire response was from a perspective as if no one has said Sheldon was jealous, when in fact it had been said, making your post irrevelant.

Pretty girl dates a nerd, that's not cliche and overused at all. I use the word simplistic because it doesn't seem to me they have any connection beyond sex. They are not anywhere near equal intellectually. It seems their whole relationship is based on one cliche.

I don't recall ever seeing a relationship such as Shamy portrayed before bbt. Their connection is much deeper because it wasn't cheapened by having sex right off the bat.

How about this, Dena. Sheldon knows Amy wants a more intimate relationship, but he can't give it too her, yet. He could be jealous of Lenny having the physical intimacy that Amy wants. After all, he does love her, so he has to be sensitive to her feelings on that matter, as she is sensitive to his struggle with it.

Fair enough. But under that argument, Sheldon would also be jealous of Howardette, Rajily, and every other couple that's ever had sex.

Chrismo, on 24 Nov 2014 - 7:47 PM, said:snapback.png

4.you can take Schrödinger's cat either way.

It's kind of hard to take it any other way then the way Penny took it. She took as she should go out with him, as she specifically says so.

Yes.

Then when Leonard brought up Schrodinger's cat also the next thing Leonard did was give Penny a kiss. Penny smiled and said the cat's alive and headed out the door for their date. It could have not been more clear. Penny thought there was potential after Leonard was bold enough to kiss her and she found the kiss pleasing. It was a very good TBBT moment.

Your entire response was from a perspective as if no one has said Sheldon was jealous, when in fact it had been said, making your post irrevelant.

Pretty girl dates a nerd, that's not cliche and overused at all. I use the word simplistic because it doesn't seem to me they have any connection beyond sex. They are not anywhere near equal intellectually. It seems their whole relationship is based on one cliche.

I don't recall ever seeing a relationship such as Shamy portrayed before bbt. Their connection is much deeper because it wasn't cheapened by having sex right off the bat.

The only reason they seem complex because Sheldon has used as Amy as his true exception. And Sheldon has never had sex. Where as Penny and Leonard have had more relationship expereince. But having more intelligence does not make your relationship any more, or any less complex. If Sheldon and Penny dated god forbid, hypothetically speaking if they did it, would that cheapen the relationship? Or is it because Sheldon brings his IQ to the relationship, it saves it from being a clichie. Your entited to your opinion, but I don't think Lenny have just a connection through sex. They clearly work on their relationship more, just because Penny is not a scientist, does not make their relationship any less or more complex. Boy meets Girl, Shamy is Boy meets girl too, I don't see any point of diference here.  

I have a hard time believing Sheldon would be jealous of Leonard and Penny because they have sex. Sheldon will work through his own issues in due time. If you believe the Sheldon would be jealous of another couples sexual relationship, I have to question if we are speaking about the same character.

Fair enough. But under that argument, Sheldon would also be jealous of Howardette, Rajily, and every other couple that's ever had sex.

Except that he persuaded me many moons ago that he didnt care about sex at all. Icky. But he does have a general contmenpt for everyone else on the planet  - dogs, is how he described them.

Yeah, it was only when Sheldon met Amy and fell in love did he start opening up to the idea of sex. I think his desire to give it to her when the time comes is of no result of how he perceives Lenny's - or anyone's - relationship. I would argue it would be in spite of that.

Edited by Maddie

The only reason they seem complex because Sheldon has used as Amy as his true exception. And Sheldon has never had sex. Where as Penny and Leonard have had more relationship expereince. But having more intelligence does not make your relationship any more, or any less complex. If Sheldon and Penny dated god forbid, hypothetically speaking if they did it, would that cheapen the relationship? Or is it because Sheldon brings his IQ to the relationship, it saves it from being a clichie. Your entited to your opinion, but I don't think Lenny have just a connection through sex. They clearly work on their relationship more, just because Penny is not a scientist, does not make their relationship any less or more complex. Boy meets Girl, Shamy is Boy meets girl too, I don't see any point of diference here.

A Shenny relationship would be a cliche. Idk where you got that it wouldn't.

I'm not saying Penny is stupid rather that Lenny doesn't have much in common.

You're wrong. Shamy was matched up by an online dating service, with info howard and Raj put in,which Sheldon considers "hokum". He only goes to meet Amy because Raj told him there was a dirty sock somewhere in his apartment. it's all very complex 3ku11 I tried to make it simplistic for you.LOL

I think the only evidence that exists is that

1. Sheldon is scared silly of that kind of intimacy (for what ever reason).
  2. Taken at face value Sheldon thinks people are slaves to their sexual urges (apparently because that's what his dad told him about women).
  3. Sheldon does not want to be a slave.

My guess is that Sheldon really is only jealous of physicists who have won a Nobel prize.

Edited by djsurrey

Yeah, it was only when Sheldon met Amy and fell in love did he start opening up to the idea of sex. I think his desire to give it to her when the time comes is of no result of how he perceives Lenny's - or anyone's - relationship. I would argue it would be in spite of that.

I like to think he is doing that because he wants to make her happy - and he is finding his own way of doing despite his desires. If he was sexually motivated he would have gone there way before. Even though everything is functional I dont think he has a strong drive.  I've said before that element of him is not relatable - but it does make sense to others.

I would think then that if Shamy has more in common that would make their relationship more simplistic.

Apparently you didn't read my post about why I felt that way.

I don't have any problem with Lenny. I just personally find them boring, same old relationship you see all the time on TV.

I have a hard time believing Sheldon would be jealous of Leonard and Penny because they have sex.

I didn't say that. There's more to physical intimacy than having sex. For instance, he's still not comfortable with hand holding, something Leonard and Penny are very comfortable with.

Sheldon will work through his own issues in due time.

I happen to agree, you did notice I said "he couldn't give it to her, YET," right?

If you believe the Sheldon would be jealous of another couples sexual relationship, I have to question if we are speaking about the same character.

Taken alone like that it does sound silly. If you take it with the comment I made about his jealousy being about not being able to give Amy something he knows she wants, but want to give her, then it doesn't sound silly. If he truly loves her (and I believe he does), then he has to think about it and it has to bother him. Not being able to give someone you love what they want can hurt and cause all sorts of feeling to boil up within someone, even if that person won't acknowledge them.

Apparently you didn't read my post about why I felt that way.

I don't have any problem with Lenny. I just personally find them boring, same old relationship you see all the time on TV.

And I find Shamy boring although I hv no problem with them. I wouldent class Lenny as just another tv couple, because compared to other shows they are endering and unique imo. Dont act like Shamy are the first tv couple to not have sex straight away, therefore being complex. I remember seeing a rerun of Cheers a few months ago, who were alot like Shamy. Havent had sex. Look at Ricky and Lucy, had sex but slept in different beds. Can argue times have changed. But my point of view is the general blueprint of Shamy ain't so overly unique. They are perfect for each other as Amy is the only one who well put up with him haha. And Sheldon like I said is using her as an exception. But I don't think jusy because of their high IQ's it makes them any more complex. All they do is sit their haha. I mean its more about preferences.

Watching Shamy is like watching an ice berg. I always related to Lenny as I could invest in the nerdy guy desiring the hot girl. To me its unique. But just like I dont have to diminish Shamy to put Lenny on a pedastal. Neither should you or anyone. Dont know about you, but when I was in high school in 2006 I diddnt see alot of nerds dating hot, popular girls. So I dont think its that common. The fact they are so different in so many ways, is only hitting the surface. They have a deeper unspoken connection. Where as Shamy are so similar, with not alot of dissimilarities, like Lenny do. But like I said it comes down to preferances. I would agree they just have sex if this was s3. But not since s3.

Edited by 3ku11

It's funny that we are still debating about which couple is more complex/superior just like Shamy and Lenny did in 8.03 LOL.

I prefer Shamy because I like someone who is similar to me, some people may prefer their significant others to be different from them. 

Leonard grew up in an academic family and he always craved emotional intimacy from his family while Sheldon grew up in a conservative family which no one really appreciates his intelligence. 

I think it's reasonable for Leonard to fall in love with Penny who is nice and cares for others. I will take this as something they have in common, Leonard is also the nicest guy in the group. Penny also liked him from the beginning based on her smile in the end scene of 1.05 after Leonard said it didn't work out with Leslie. 

Sheldon never expected to meet his equal until he met Amy. It might be so amazing for him to finally meet someone who really understands and appreciates him. Their minds function similarly and that drew them to each other. 

I don't think Sheldon is jealous of Lenny's relationship. I think both Shamy and Lenny are happy with their own relationship and sometimes think theirs is the best relationship lol.

And I find Shamy boring although I hv no problem with them. I wouldent class Lenny as just another tv couple, because compared to other shows they are endering and unique imo. Dont act like Shamy are the first tv couple to not have sex straight away, therefore being complex. I remember seeing a rerun of Cheers a few months ago, who were alot like Shamy. Havent had sex. Look at Ricky and Lucy, had sex but slept in different beds. Can argue times have changed. But my point of view is the general blueprint of Shamy ain't so overly unique. They are perfect for each other as Amy is the only one who well put up with him haha. And Sheldon like I said is using her as an exception. But I don't think jusy because of their high IQ's it makes them any more complex. All they do is sit their haha. I mean its more about preferences.

Watching Shamy is like watching an ice berg. I always related to Lenny as I could invest in the nerdy guy desiring the hot girl. To me its unique. But just like I dont have to diminish Shamy to put Lenny on a pedastal. Neither should you or anyone. Dont know about you, but when I was in high school in 2006 I diddnt see alot of nerds dating hot, popular girls. So I dont think its that common. The fact they are so different in so many ways, is only hitting the surface. They have a deeper unspoken connection. Where as Shamy are so similar, with not alot of dissimilarities, like Lenny do. But like I said it comes down to preferances. I would agree they just have sex if this was s3. But not since s3.

Ricky and Lucy had different beds because society at the time could not handle the thought of a couple with a healthy sex life. The first couple to share a bed on screen were Mike and Carol Brady. Just because they had two separate beds does not mean they weren't doing it.

IMO the nerd getting the hot girl is a trope that has been done time and again. Isn't that the entire premise for the movie Revenge of the Nerds? However the story of two people finding each other when neither of them thought they wanted or needed someone and accepting each other as they are is refreshing. I am not knocking Lenny, I shipped them before Shamy came along. I just think that Lenny's story is a story already told while Shamy is completely unique.

Ricky and Lucy had different beds because society at the time could not handle the thought of a couple with a healthy sex life. The first couple to share a bed on screen were Mike and Carol Brady. Just because they had two separate beds does not mean they weren't doing it.

IMO the nerd getting the hot girl is a trope that has been done time and again. Isn't that the entire premise for the movie Revenge of the Nerds? However the story of two people finding each other when neither of them thought they wanted or needed someone and accepting each other as they are is refreshing. I am not knocking Lenny, I shipped them before Shamy came along. I just think that Lenny's story is a story already told while Shamy is completely unique.

I think Lennys story is different because both changed. Leonard from passive agressive nerd, to less insecure more assured. Leonard diddnt received any affection from an emotionally distant mother. Where as Mary was nothing but loving etc. Its ironical you would think Mary would be Leonards mother, and Bev Sheldons. So Penny offers that. The whole thing is based on socities conventions and rules Lenny have no buisness being together. And to me are alot like Monica and Chandler. As in some ways they wrrent destined to be together (off chance meeting). But in some ways they are. Where as Shamy are made for each other, so dont clash. So its a more meticlous progress, oppossed to Lenny which was initially premature in a way haha. Penny grew up. Now its Guy supporting the women he loves unconditionally, despite all odds. So while I agree its the same old nerd gets girl blueprint, its more unique then ppl think.