The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S8 Discussion Thread

Sheldon didn't sexually harass anybody - I don't think he would even know how to do that - his assistant was sexually harassing Leonard, and Sheldon tried to talk to her about it in his own round about way, and she misinterpreted what he was trying to tell her.

Though in reality it doesn't matter Sheldon did sexually harass her. He brought in sexually transmitted disease books to his work office and showed them to Alex. Alex on the other hand asked Leonard to dinner at Sheldon/Leonard's apartment. Inappropriate at best.

Though in reality it doesn't matter Sheldon did sexually harass her. He brought in sexually transmitted disease books to his work office and showed them to Alex. Alex on the other hand asked Leonard to dinner at Sheldon/Leonard's apartment. Inappropriate at best.

Yes but again it wasn't his intent to disturb her. And she continued working for him afterward.
  • Like 1

Yes but again it wasn't his intent to disturb her. And she continued working for him afterward.

In the real world obviously he would have been in real trouble. Though the original poster thought what Alex did was more wrong than Sheldon. I must live in a different world. Sheldon's lack of common sense doesn't excuse his intent.

• Like 1

No one would care what his intent was, showing his assistant a book of STDs and calling the (black) head of human resources a slave to her biological urges would get you fired. As would his constantly insulting Dr. Gablehouser. He is an adult, albeit a low functioning one, and better would be expected of a person in his professional position. And considering that he has made no worthwhile contribution to science, it most certainly is not realistic or believable that they would keep him around. Penny getting a job in sales is much more plausible in comparison.

• Like 3

I think they'd hold on to Sheldon, but they would never give him management responsibilities. That's easier than losing the trophy credentialed genius. Really, he costs next to nothing to run. Not an experimentalist with mega-buck playthings, just him and whiteboards. Cheap to keep.

Makes me think that tenure could be a handcuff he might resist, but get over Leonard. The university gets a prize winner and puts him on the shelf.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

Considering that actual rate of serious sexual harassment against women working in STEM, especially in lab sciences, my guess is that Mrs. Evans knows what the real thing looks like and Alex's case wasn't it. And Alex wouldn't have wanted to press it because she did pass up other opportunities for the chance to work with Sheldon. That implies working with him holds prestige.

So Sheldon's had a bit of dry spell. The chances of him succeeding in Physics are far better than Penny becoming a star simply based on raw talent and the will to succeed.

So he hasn't proven String Theory... String Theory is impossible to prove! He picked the hardest thing when he was 12 and spent 20 years on it. He gave it a run. He's moving on. I can't believe I am defending his hobo ass, but he has a work ethic.

• Like 5

First off not sure how this thread suddenly derailed into Oh Sheldon's career has gone so low, lets compare it to Penny's to make him look good :sarcastic:. Of course String Theory cannot be proven even by a genius like Sheldon, but I don't think it has any more pitfalls then trying a career in acting. Acting does take raw talent, but also takes a lot of luck, Penny clearly has not had. In Science you have tons of people like Sheldon with Phd's trying to prove an element, or a theory. But in acting it is a one to million shot, not that Science is not a one to million shot but its more prevalent in acting. Obviousley some don't live or perceive this show based on real world logic, but as for Sheldon sexually harassing Alex. I do agree it was innocent because of Sheldon's lack of social awareness, but in the real world it does not matter if he lacked the common sense to know what he was doing, or he was trying to put Alex off the Leonard track, in his own way. He is an adult, maybe an innocent (Albiet he is loosing that innocence) but he has worked with Adults most of his life since he graduated at 15 was it? So it's not like he hasen't had the time to develop coping mechanisms. He may be emotionally dumb, but he is not that dumb he is smart, he has shown he leads on more then he gives out. Regardless of how it came across does not change the intent, do you really think the Board of the university really would emphasize with an adult who has a lack of common sense? No they well see his pretty assistant who he just offered sexually transmitted disease books, and calling the black head of human resources a slave to her biological urges, from their vantage point that is grounds for suspension, regardless if Sheldon intentions were genuine or not, but alas this is not real world logic.  

Edited by 3ku11

I don't know why but I have A feeling after I read this spoiler season 8 about Leonard and penny, I have A big feeling that since Penny got A new job now and making the money, I think that is it for Leonard and Penny. I don't agree that the season 7 ended with them two getting engaged and now season 8 they will break up and most likely be done for good.

That sucks because Penny and Leonard have good chemistry and always had.

• Like 2

I don't know why but I have A feeling after I read this spoiler season 8 about Leonard and penny, I have A big feeling that since Penny got A new job now and making the money, I think that is it for Leonard and Penny. I don't agree that the season 7 ended with them two getting engaged and now season 8 they will break up and most likely be done for good.

First off you don't agree they got engaged in S7? Sorry their was no commas in that so I may have misunderstood that. All are you saying you have a feeling they well break up over this, but don't agree with it? Considering they did get engaged in S7 I think your opinion is invalid. And are you saying because Penny well be increasing her self worth, and gaining a sense of autonomy and success, that automatically means her and Leonard are done lol based on what? Based on that logic Leonard should of dumped Penny years ago seeing he has had a pretty succesfull job, but of course that makes absoloutely no sense. As does Penny and Leonard breaking up over a job at the end of the day. Having a feeling they well break up though is just speculation at this point, I don't think they well break up, they are endgame, and have created a lot of depth in their relationship, this may cause some conflict for a power struggle, but at this point know one knows how long this Pharm Rep thing well last. What's the alternative? Penny hangs around the apartments, as we know Penny gets easily bored. As some have said being a Sales Rep comes down to a lot of acting, and being likeable, all things Penny has proven. So with the right training she well be very succesfull, none of what Lorre said jumped out at me that this means doomsday for Leonard and Penny, seeing Penny is done doubting her relationship, their is a one out of million probability this storyline well end with them breaking up.

Edited by 3ku11

I don't know why either. LOL We will see. It could be funny.

usa1984, don't bring bad karma to Lenny.

Season eight, I m not sure if Lorre would want to bring back the breakup card for Lenny; I think millions of Lenny's fans would break up from the TBBT too.

• Like 5

Like many I have wondered why such a big spoiler was dropped so early. My view is that there has been so much discussion about the ShAmy relationship and what was happening to Sheldon whether he would/would not return that the Lenny engagement seemed to have been lost in the background.

Whether I agree with the result or not, I know the writers wanted a cliff-hanger at the end of Season 7, however I wonder if they realised how much it would overshadow the engagement that the series had been leading up to for 7 years.

Maybe this could just be tptb’s way to try and refocus on the Lenny relationship.

• Like 3

usa1984, don't bring bad karma to Lenny.

Season eight, I m not sure if Lorre would want to bring back the breakup card for Lenny; I think millions of Lenny's fans would break up from the TBBT too.

Agree. Once was cruel, although half expected, for Lennies. Twice would be unforgivable. Not happening. Penny and Leonard are not Brooke and Ridge from Bold and the Beautiful!! Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 2

I think Lenny is done with breaking up, and the serie maybe completely done with that.

Maybe that it will happen to Raj again, but I (like to) think they are now start progressing all characters to a more stable relationship in the end.

That doens't mean that all couples aren't going to have bumps in the road, just no break-up bumps.

Edited by Chiany
  • Like 5

Like many I have wondered why such a big spoiler was dropped so early. My view is that there has been so much discussion about the ShAmy relationship and what was happening to Sheldon whether he would/would not return that the Lenny engagement seemed to have been lost in the background.

Whether I agree with the result or not, I know the writers wanted a cliff-hanger at the end of Season 7, however I wonder if they realised how much it would overshadow the engagement that the series had been leading up to for 7 years.

Maybe this could just be tptb’s way to try and refocus on the Lenny relationship.

I think four months is a long break. I wonder if the timing was to generate some interest among fans at comic con.

I don't think it is that big a spoiler. It is just a new element to generate a little friction/conflict. Does not mean they are in danger of breaking up. Too much sunshine and rainbows is not TBBT way.

I think four months is a long break. I wonder if the timing was to generate some interest among fans at comic con.

I don't think it is that big a spoiler. It is just a new element to generate a little friction/conflict. Does not mean they are in danger of breaking up. Too much sunshine and rainbows is not TBBT way.

I find it kind of humorous as to how upset some are with the idea of "friction".   They certainly have short memories as season seven was filled with "friction" between Leonard and Penny:

7.01 Penny doesn't feel Leonard is missing her enough

7.03 Argument over Leonard not wanting to be Penny's partner.

7.04 Leonard manipulating Penny, and Penny catching him at it.

7.09 Penny and Zack's "marriage".

7.11 Penny's proposal and Leonard's non-answer

7.12 Penny quits TCF, Leonard is shaky on his support.

7.15 Penny and Leoanrd argue about Raj's dog.

7.17 Leonard makes snarky comments about Penny not taking Serial Ape-ist

7.18 Penny and Leonard  disagree who is going to follow who concerning their jobs.  It takes Stuart to fix it.

7.21 Penny's upset that Leonard doesn't like hearing about how she feels about working on Serial Ape-ist

7.22 The whole proposal discussion (especially in the car). 

That's almost half of the episodes (and I'm sure I missed a few).  And, yes, most of them were resolved, usually in the same episode, to the betterment of the couple.  Hell, if you think about it, Season six was pretty much the same way, with an almost "Penny's ________________  problem gets fixed this week.   I don't see any reason to suppose that won't continue in season 8.    

• Like 6

I can post SDCC panel spoilers here, yeah?

Molaro says that there will be some form of comic book store in the future!

• Like 1

I can post SDCC panel spoilers here, yeah?

Molaro says that there will be some form of comic book store in the future!

Yeah :) we have a thread for comic con too in the cast section :)

• Like 1

I find it kind of humorous as to how upset some are with the idea of "friction". They certainly have short memories as season seven was filled with "friction" between Leonard and Penny:

7.01 Penny doesn't feel Leonard is missing her enough

7.03 Argument over Leonard not wanting to be Penny's partner.

7.04 Leonard manipulating Penny, and Penny catching him at it.

7.09 Penny and Zack's "marriage".

7.11 Penny's proposal and Leonard's non-answer

7.12 Penny quits TCF, Leonard is shaky on his support.

7.15 Penny and Leoanrd argue about Raj's dog.

7.17 Leonard makes snarky comments about Penny not taking Serial Ape-ist

7.18 Penny and Leonard disagree who is going to follow who concerning their jobs. It takes Stuart to fix it.

7.21 Penny's upset that Leonard doesn't like hearing about how she feels about working on Serial Ape-ist

7.22 The whole proposal discussion (especially in the car).

That's almost half of the episodes (and I'm sure I missed a few). And, yes, most of them were resolved, usually in the same episode, to the betterment of the couple. Hell, if you think about it, Season six was pretty much the same way, with an almost "Penny's ________________ problem gets fixed this week. I don't see any reason to suppose that won't continue in season 8.

Exactly, Tensor. Relationships without friction aren't relationships. My married life is a daily dose of friction and we've never been happier after 22 years of friction! We don't really want Leave it to Beaver ( old man reference ) 1950s sitcom, wife baking cookies while husband reads newspaper sitcom do we? All modern sitcom marriages are full of snark and snipe and wisecracks. Lenny are fine!

It occurred to me that Penny is likely going to be working on selling the dysfunction products. Blue pills, injections, giant posters and innuendo up the whazoo. One area of conflict outlined. I so hope Leonard gets to junket with her, because the chance to see some of the product posters in the background will be priceless. And maybe Lorre can editorialise about the industry. He did one vanity card on insurance, I recall.

Did anyone in the audience ask any lenny questions @ comic Con. Please tell...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I love the SA2 trailer, but to me what's really exciting about it is the implication that there will be at least one story about the movie release.

• Like 1