S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

Experience has taught me that in matters of money, sentimentality falls by the wayside in this industry. I wouldn't be surprised if they recast Mrs Wolowitz.

Yup. Don't ever stand between a producer and a pile of cash. And even living actors get swapped out. Howard sans mom isn't the same. Much harder to laugh at easily.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Don't ever stand between a producer and a pile of cash. And even living actors get swapped out. Howard sans mom isn't the same. Much harder to laugh at easily.

Too true. I once had the indignity of being recast on a part written specifically for me and had to watch a taller, thinner and far better looking actress recite my lines because the production could not wait.

Galling. But that's the reality of this industry I'm afraid.

Wow, and people say I'm cynical...

This is one of those situations where I'd be happier to be wrong than right.

Just giving you a heads up. If tptb do recast, I'm guessing there will be a few unhappy bunnies on this forum.

Molaro said "the death of Carol" not Mrs W.

Like I say, I hope I am just being cynical, but don't be suprized if they keep the character.

Considering that everyone associated with the show stated how fond they were of her and how deeply they felt her death (she'd been with the show for over seven years), I really doubt they'll dishonor her memory by recasting the role. Carol's distinctive voice can be imitated (Simon and Melissa have proven that), but it can never be matched. No, my prediction is that they'll write Mrs. Wolowitz out of the series by killing her off, leading to humorous angst all around, the inevitable unintentionally insensitive comments from Sheldon (c'mon, you know it would happen), and a touching good-bye from Howard (and maybe an appearance by his long-absent father), plus it would neatly resolve Howardette's house hunting if they inherited Casa Wolowitz.

And I'm still pulling for "Debbie's Comics Corner"...

Well, time will tell.

If they have milage left in Mrs W they'll recast, if they can work around her absence then you may well be right, and I quite like the idea of Debbie's Comics Corner and it could happen whichever route they take.

I have always thought that they would write her death in, and finally show Bernadette being there for Howard in a way a wife is, not a mother figure (which they've done a couple of times this season).  In addition, in my head, at the end, Bernadette makes Howard realize that Stewart made his mom happy in her last days here and they should take care of him, aka still help fund the comic book store.  Who knows what they will call it, but it would be a nice touching moment.  And there is still ways to put comedy in there.

I thought this season, with the other two couples being in such good places, that they were hinting at stress in the Howard/Bernadette relationship.  This could be a big moment for them as a couple. 

I do not think they will recast, I don't even see that happening in any shape or form.  JMO. 

Edited by kerrycec03

I don't think it has anything to do with if they still have milage in the character. Yes cynicism is alive and well in the industry. But this is a unique case. Like they said this is their "dear" friend. So I doubt they would insult her memory by recasting her. Even if Simon or Mel voices her. Just because that's how things are done, or thats the process. I'll say it is more likely they well write her off. Great oppurtunity for BBT to show some emotion, which it is not always renowned for.

I think it's possible that the could use Melissa (her impression is better than Simon's in my opinion), in the episode where they write her death in(another thought would be using dialogue from an earlier show and cut her voice into the new taping).  Have some conversation with her, then she falls ill.  I also somehow don't think they'll recast.  

I think it's possible that the could use Melissa (her impression is better than Simon's in my opinion), in the episode where they write her death in(another thought would be using dialogue from an earlier show and cut her voice into the new taping). Have some conversation with her, then she falls ill. I also somehow don't think they'll recast.

is still a comedy. Even if they write her off they might do something crazy like drop a piano on her head.

If they planned to re-cast Mrs. W, there would be no need to "deal with" her death on the show.

Look back through the history of sit-coms, and almost always if there's the death of a cast member, the character's death is written into the series.  I'm thinking of Night Court, Gimme a Break, 8 Simple Rules, and even guest characters on Murphy Brown, Scrubs, and Who's the Boss.  The only exception I can think of is Mrs. Kravitz on Bewitched.

I'm actually kind of angered by the suggestion that these writers and producers would be so cold as to think their friend is replaceable or to prioritize money over her memory.  Besides, the show isn't going to lose money if Mrs. W isn't on the show anymore.  If they still want someone in that type of role, they'll have Mrs. Wolowitz's sister come to stay in the house.

But Tomasina is right with the comedy aspect. It's probably reason why the dealing with her death is taking so long. Writers still are not emotionally in place, where they can put at least some fun in death of character, portrayed by their dear friend . (I think they will let the character die).

Edited by tallin

But Tomasina is right with the comedy aspect. It's probably reason why the dealing with her death is taking so long. Writers still are not emotionally in place, where they can put at least some fun in death of character, portrayed by their dear friend . 

Well personally I hope in this case. That they don't use it as an oppurtunity, to use Mrs W death for comedy. It would be nice if the whole thing was sensitively tackled. Hope The show show alot of emotion with it, and dedicate an episode to the death of Mrs W. And at the end of the ep. Howard and Stuart open the New Comic Book Store, dedicated to the memory of his Mother. 

Edited by 3ku11

Well personally I hope in this case. That they don't use it as an oppurtunity, to use Mrs W death for comedy. It would be nice if the whole thing was sensitively tackled. Hope The show show alot of emotion with it, and dedicate an episode to the death of Mrs W. And at the end of the ep. Howard and Stuart open the New Comic Book Store, dedicated to the memory of his Mother. 

One hundred percent agree that I don't want to use her death for laugh. But it's till have to have at least some humor in episode, which is something, I think writers struggle right now. I could image that episode similar to episode of HIMYM when Marshall's father died and had funeral. It was still sad and touching, but it had some comedy through Robin, being head "dealer" of the night, trying to cheer everyone up. Both of them opening store to her memory is great idea. I hope they will choose this option (death) for this reason - Howard and Stuart can again reconnect. Plus It can be opportunity to introduce Howard's father maybe, and it can put last period on Howard being over attached to his mother - grown up completely. 

If they planned to re-cast Mrs. W, there would be no need to "deal with" her death on the show.

Look back through the history of sit-coms, and almost always if there's the death of a cast member, the character's death is written into the series.  I'm thinking of Night Court, Gimme a Break, 8 Simple Rules, and even guest characters on Murphy Brown, Scrubs, and Who's the Boss.  The only exception I can think of is Mrs. Kravitz on Bewitched.

I'm actually kind of angered by the suggestion that these writers and producers would be so cold as to think their friend is replaceable or to prioritize money over her memory.  Besides, the show isn't going to lose money if Mrs. W isn't on the show anymore.  If they still want someone in that type of role, they'll have Mrs. Wolowitz's sister come to stay in the house.

Showing your age, T!!  :)

One hundred percent agree that I don't want to use her death for laugh. But it's till have to have at least some humor in episode, which is something, I think writers struggle right now. I could image that episode similar to episode of HIMYM when Marshall's father died and had funeral. It was still sad and touching, but it had some comedy through Robin, being head "dealer" of the night, trying to cheer everyone up. Both of them opening store to her memory is great idea. I hope they will choose this option (death) for this reason - Howard and Stuart can again reconnect. Plus It can be opportunity to introduce Howard's father maybe, and it can put last period on Howard being over attached to his mother - grown up completely. 

I think if they did a scene. Where Howard comes home from work, and say Mrs W dies in her sleep. And Bernadette comes out crying, and tells Howard your mother just passed. Not to copy HIMYM haha, Big Bang sets its own trends :p. But I think Simon could kill it, and he would win an Emmy for it. 

I think if they did a scene. Where Howard comes home from work, and say Mrs W dies in her sleep. And Bernadette comes out crying, and tells Howard your mother just passed. Not to copy HIMYM haha, Big Bang sets its own trends :p. But I think Simon could kill it, and he would win an Emmy for it. 

Of course no copy. I mean it as an example of episode  about serious, sad topic, done with comedic atmosphere, and still could hold its respect for passing character. ;)    I always thought Simon is the most underestimated from the cast, so It could really give him  great opportunity to shine, and have his well deserved appreciation. 

Of course no copy. I mean it as an example of episode  about serious, sad topic, done with comedic atmosphere, and still could hold its respect for passing character. ;)    I always thought Simon is the most underestimated from the cast, so It could really give him  great opportunity to shine, and have his well deserved appreciation. 

Yeah and I think it would be a great oppurtunity to introduce a new storyline. With bringing in Howard's father. That would be a great storyline for Simon. Season 8 has really revitalized this series, some fresh, new , original storylines was needed.