S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

I tend to think it will be more Edna Krapabbel and less Gladys Kravitz but all we know is that they will be dealing with the death of Carol Ann Susi - ." Also in the next batch of episodes: a tribute to Carol Ann Susi, the late actress who voiced Wolowitz's mother. ("The death of Carol will be dealt with," Molaro says. "We just needed time to process the loss of our friend."

Since the writers don't plan ahead, I doubt it was ever in their minds to get rid of Mrs Wolowitz - early season 8 they even grew her importance with the Stuart plot,( which has stalled since her death) and she has been a massive part of the Howard persona - so killing the character will be a significant decision for them. Not only how to do it but where to take the Stuart and Howard stories from there. I'm looking forward to how they deal with it, although sad it has to happen

I agree Mrs W was an Extension of the Howard Character. So this well have huge ramifications imo for the Howard Character. But they could use this oppurtunity. For one for BBT to show some emotion. But Two also Stuart and Howard to bond. I would really like they re opened the comic book store in Carols name. 

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think that having another funeral episode, this time attended by all, including Sheldon, would be a nice way to see the character off.

Howard's father could go to the funeral in secret and reveal himself to Howard and the other characters at the end. It would be a good way to introduce a new character; as one person leaves the show, another arrives. Howard's father would also give the writers a new character and loads of new plotlines to work with, including Howard going through the process of forgiving his dad for what he did, Howard getting reacquainted with his father, and how Howard's father got on with the other characters.

Perhaps Howard's dad could be a scientist or engineer (obviously nobody too famous or else Howard would have known about him), which would explain where Howard inherited his talent for engineering?

I still think that having another funeral episode, this time attended by all, including Sheldon, would be a nice way to see the character off.

Howard's father could go to the funeral in secret and reveal himself to Howard and the other characters at the end. It would be a good way to introduce a new character; as one person leaves the show, another arrives. Howard's father would also give the writers a new character and loads of new plotlines to work with, including Howard going through the process of forgiving his dad for what he did, Howard getting reacquainted with his father, and how Howard's father got on with the other characters.

Perhaps Howard's dad could be a scientist or engineer (obviously nobody too famous or else Howard would have known about him), which would explain where Howard inherited his talent for engineering?

I like that idea. And I think the show needs a new character, to freshen things up. It can also changed dynamics. Like it did with Amy and Bernadette. Simon was talking about bringing in Howards father, so its a real possiblity. 

I like that idea. And I think the show needs a new character, to freshen things up. It can also changed dynamics. Like it did with Amy and Bernadette. Simon was talking about bringing in Howards father, so its a real possiblity.

I disagree. The show seems to have almost too many characters as it is. Most, including myself, haven't liked the amount of screen time Lenny has gotten this season. Maybe a one shot with Howard's father at the funeral but I hope that's it.

I disagree. The show seems to have almost too many characters as it is. Most, including myself, haven't liked the amount of screen time Lenny has gotten this season. Maybe a one shot with Howard's father at the funeral but I hope that's it.

Well to be fair I never meant to suggest a long term character. But maybe a 3-4 ep arch. And I hardly doubt if they bring in Howard's father it well take away screen time away from Lenny. 

It would be interesting to catch up with Mr W But I can't see Stuart dating him. So much fun gone if Mrs W goes.

Stuart and Mr W, you mean Mrs W? lol. What happens to Stuart now Mrs W, regardless how they do it, won't be in the show in the same capacity. Maybe if they open a new comic book store, Stuart sells his one and runs the new one possibly. Be cool with the new comic book store, put a bean bag, a new hang out for the guys possibly. Put a coffee store in their too :p.

Well to be fair I never meant to suggest a long term character. But maybe a 3-4 ep arch. And I hardly doubt if they bring in Howard's father it well take away screen time away from Lenny.

but they have never had a 3-4 episode arch with any parent. I can't imagine them doing it with Howard's father. I think they will do one episode in a fitting tribute to Howard's mother then move on. I think the mother will still be mentioned though in the future.

but they have never had a 3-4 episode arch with any parent. I can't imagine them doing it with Howard's father. I think they will do one episode in a fitting tribute to Howard's mother then move on. I think the mother will still be mentioned though in the future.

Just because they have never done it before, doesen't mean they never well ;). Besides we know nothing.

as I can't remember new character which would took away screen time from permanent character, I don't see how that could be problem to have new for few episodes per season.  I think after eight years is good idea to bring up new face time to time. Besides, introduction of Howard's father could lighten healing process a bit. And I think it's  better idea than letting him be practically an orphan.

But some old ones like Leonard they seem to have a problem keeping him interesting.

Well understandable. After so many years the characters just cannot have the same impact they once had. I think Leonard is ready to go off into the sunset with Penny tbh. 

as I can't remember new character which would took away screen time from permanent character, I don't see how that could be problem to have new for few episodes per season.  I think after eight years is good idea to bring up new face time to time. Besides, introduction of Howard's father could lighten healing process a bit. And I think it's  better idea than letting him be practically an orphan.

An orphan? He is married and in his prime. He is not going to be even close to being an orphan. My wife's parents are both dead. My father is dead. This is all part of normal human existence assuming we live long enough.

Guest Loyal to SPQR and Shamy

I think Sheldon will also have a big break in his career. After all, the fortune teller said that once he committed to Amy, all his pursuits would come into focus. He told her he loves her and wants to make her happy. To me, that's commitment, at least from him. 

As for Leonard, I don't know. I think he's pretty stable right now, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Sheldon will also have a big break in his career. After all, the fortune teller said that once he committed to Amy, all his pursuits would come into focus. He told her he loves her and wants to make her happy. To me, that's commitment, at least from him. 

As for Leonard, I don't know. I think he's pretty stable right now, correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh yes Sheldon gets all the glory, oh Leonard oh he's all good lol. TBH I hope they bring back tenure. Because out of all the the guys, I think Leonard deserve the most success in his career. I mean his career is based on work from other people. Not original work. 

There's some who think Amy and Bernadette has taken up others screen time. I don't necessarily agree with that. To me if they had Penny's mom or Leonard's father on that might be okay. but to have Howard's father on when you never saw his mother seems to be wrong IMO. As to Howard an orphan I'm sure the writers could come with stories without needing to mention his "lack" of family.

Oh yes Sheldon gets all the glory, oh Leonard oh he's all good lol. TBH I hope they bring back tenure. Because out of all the the guys, I think Leonard deserve the most success in his career. I mean his career is based on work from other people. Not original work.

I think The first half of the season has been prime Sheldon overkill and someone wants him to get more glory this season.

I don't think coming into focus and falling into place is the same thing as having a big break.

Psychic: They’re telling me that you have difficulty being close with her.

Penny: Oh, he does. He so does. What should he do?

Psychic: He should give himself to this relationship. Once he does, all his other pursuits will come into focus.

Penny: Sheldon, do you hear that? I mean, Amy is the key to your happiness.

Psychic: Exactly. Personally and professionally. Everything will fall into place once you commit to her.

Everything falling into place could just be him being at piece with what he is doing. It does not necessarily mean that he will have a big break. He may not even care about that so much anymore.

There's some who think Amy and Bernadette has taken up others screen time. I don't necessarily agree with that. To me if they had Penny's mom or Leonard's father on that might be okay. but to have Howard's father on when you never saw his mother seems to be wrong IMO. As to Howard an orphan I'm sure the writers could come with stories without needing to mention his "lack" of family.

I think The first half of the season has been prime Sheldon overkill and someone wants him to get more glory this season.

Yeah I well be happy with no Sheldon at all for at least a few eps. But of course he is the only character who has been in every single plot. Advertisers pay alot of money in ad spots, and revenue partic to see Sheldon/Jim. So But it has been kinda The Sheldon Show this season. More so then past seasons IMO.

An orphan? He is married and in his prime. He is not going to be even close to being an orphan. My wife's parents are both dead. My father is dead. This is all part of normal human existence assuming we live long enough.

I'm talking from my own experiences, you can have another of course. It is part of normal existence, but person doesn't think this way right away, if normal emotional connection was there, losing parent is one of biggest loss of life, no matter how old you are and is hard to look at only reasonably. Howard even while is married had still big over attachment to her, kind of child like. So even while expression orphan is hyperbolic, it still can feel exactly like this for him. 

Can anyone actually name an episode that Sheldon wasn't front and centre in. Like it or not, he's not disappearing in any episode. And certainly not in the next two, as the spoiled would know.

As for Sheldon's big break, since they try to link the science in this show to the real world, it's hard for him to make that big break if they haven't made any big discoveries in his field. All of his big 'achievements' in this show have ended up being failures because they can't make science up - it's not science fiction. They moved him out of string theory because it hit a proverbial wall. What's happening in dark matter that they could give him to successfully play with?

Can anyone actually name an episode that Sheldon wasn't front and centre in. Like it or not, he's not disappearing in any episode. And certainly not in the next two, as the spoiled would know.

As for Sheldon's big break, since they try to link the science in this show to the real world, it's hard for him to make that big break if they haven't made any big discoveries in his field. All of his big 'achievements' in this show have ended up being failures because they can't make science up - it's not science fiction. They moved him out of string theory because it hit a proverbial wall. What's happening in dark matter that they could give him to successfully play with?

No I can't and that's not the issue here. The issue is the rate and frequency of his dominant scenes. Used to be more balanced like 25% Sheldon, 25% Leonard, 25% Howard, 25% Raj, 25 % Penny e.t.c. Now its almost 90% Sheldon and 10% the rest lol.