The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S8 Discussion Thread

Well seeing as the very 1st episode I saw was zazzy and that's what got me into the show then yes, although I do enjoy 1-3 tbbt has got better with each passing season

But there would of been no season 4 without a the first three seasons. I do agree that show did need to change to have lasted this long. IMO though this season so far as been average at best worst of all eight. Things could change by May though. If zazzy was my first episode I never probably would of continued to watch the show. Leonard and Penny weren't a couple and I wouldn't of understood why a homosexual and lesbian (my POV) were trying to be a couple.

Guest Loyal to SPQR and Shamy

First ep I ever saw was the one where they steal all the film from the Indiana Jones movie..... the very end. I actually thought it was Friends, because I'd never seen Friends before, either, as I never really watched TV prior to that. Season 7 was my first ever full season.

OMG this is my 100th post I'm so happy I found the forums!

Edited by Loyal to SPQR and Shamy
  • Like 1

But there would of been no season 4 without a the first three seasons. I do agree that show did need to change to have lasted this long. IMO though this season so far as been average at best worst of all eight. Things could change by May though. If zazzy was my first episode I never probably would of continued to watch the show. Leonard and Penny weren't a couple and I wouldn't of understood why a homosexual and lesbian (my POV) were trying to be a couple.

How exactly did Sheldon appear to be homosexual in that episode?

I don't know where to begin or how to answer that one

• Like 1

ummm....on that note...switching gears.... script cover is up....I'm so bad at guessing!!

• Like 2

How exactly did Sheldon appear to be homosexual in that episode?

since this would have been my first episode I had seen sheldon wasn't exactly a stud and Amy doesn't dress the most feminine. Then they break up and Sheldon buys all these cats. no guy at least in my world would of went out and bought cats. Again IMO.

since this would have been my first episode I had seen sheldon wasn't exactly a stud and Amy doesn't dress the most feminine. Then they break up and Sheldon buys all these cats. no guy at least in my world would of went out and bought cats. Again IMO.

Sheldon and Amy never broke up. He did try to get rid of her in the beginning but they were still Friends.

And I kind of see what you mean. if I had watched Season 1 or 2 first before Season 5 and 6 (when I first started watching the show) I may have made the same mistake like many others did.

Having not to have watch the show until Season 5 made understand Season 1 and 2 better when I watch those seasons for the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Content from hidden post removed

i was just going by if that was my first episode I saw. Stereotypical? Maybe but not the first time ever on this forum. Shamy bashing? not sure since it's only an opinion. it seems to me Kaley/Penny gets bashed more on here than Shamy ever does.

i was just going by if that was my first episode I saw. Stereotypical? Maybe but not the first time ever on this forum. Shamy bashing? not sure since it's only an opinion. it seems to me Kaley/Penny gets bashed more on here than Shamy ever does.

So, only because some forum members may express stereotypical views makes the fact that you are expressing them too makes it OK?

And because other characters/pairings get bashed, that makes it OK for you to bash Shamy too?

Edited by Mislav

So, only because some forum members may express stereotypical views makes the fact that you are expressing them too makes it OK?

And because other characters/pairings get bashed, that makes it OK for you to vaših Shamy too?

Again I was going by what the original poster said that she got hooked on the show because of the zazzy episode being her first episode she watched. I just gave an opinion if that had been my first. obviously not everyone was is not going to agree with me. Others on here have made critical comments about Kaley and feminism. did you call them out as bashing too?

Zazzy was the first and the 2nd one I saw was Penny getting hooked on video games, both of these intrigued me enough to continue

Yeah I only ship shamy as a couple but I like the other characters enough to enjoy all else

The first episode which I saw was The 42 Peculiarity, which was airing for the first time in the UK when I saw it. I thought it was good but I didn't like it enough to watch any more episodes of TBBT for a while.

Then, a couple of months later, I happened to chance upon a repeat episode of The Egg Salad Equivalency, which remains in my opinion one of the best episodes in the history of the show, and I've been a fan ever since.

On a different note, I haven't logged into the forum for a day and this thread moves on quite fast but I'd just like to address a couple of points made by other posters yesterday regarding my idea of having Howard's father reveal himself at Debbie Wolowitz's funeral. I agree with 3ku11 that Howard's father should just be a recurring character, possibly like Stuart or Barry Kripke, who is only in the show when needed for a plotline, but I think a 4 episode story arc to introduce the character would work. Just because it has never been done by the writers before doesn't mean they can't do it. The Shamy kiss had never been done before by the writers, but they still did it and did it fantastically well. This is an eight year old show which needs freshening up again and I think a new character can give it the shot in the arm it is starting to need.

I don't think introducing a new character would 'take screen time away from Lenny'. In fact, I think it would be a good thing if it did, because the Lenny ship has had so much screen time given to it by the writers in the last few years (especially in the earlier seasons) that I think the viewers need a break. The writers have realised that the Lenny ship does not have as much life in it as it once did, so they have chosen to make the emphasis of this season on Shamy and Howard VS Stuart thus far. People complain that it is 'The Sheldon Show' and I wouldn't disagree that this season does feature Sheldon more prominently, but I don't think that is a bad thing.

Advancing the guys' careers is an avenue the writers can go down if they're stuck for ideas at any point, but I don't think much change will take place until Season 9. I think that Season 9 will be the season of change- Leonard moving in with Penny, Amy moving in with Sheldon, Lenny getting married, and possibly Sheldon or Howard's career taking a different turn which will gift the writers with more plotlines.

Edited by Stewie99
  • Like 1

Didn't Leonard intend to buy a cat to get over a girl in Fuzzy Boots Corollary?

Yup, over Penny.  That was what, episode 3 or something?

He must have been gay, if he wanted to go buy a cat... :icon_rolleyes:

Chrismo, do you think that all guys who aren't "studs" (and what exactly do you mean by that?) must be gay and that all women who don't dress in a "feminine way" (again, what is that standard--going by your avatar, I have to wonder...) must be lesbians?

If you're going by what your response might have been to the Zazzy episode, I don't know where you got gay/lesbian-trying-to-be-a-couple from.

The first episode I saw was Bozeman reaction, but then I only saw the show sporadically until it started airing on TBS, and then I started watching on purpose, sometime during the 4th or 5th season, I guess.  I love the early episodes as well as the current season and I never found the show or any of the characters off-putting.

I was immediately intrigued by Bozeman, especially since I had just had my apartment broken into.  The only reason I didn't watch regularly at that point was that I wasn't sure when it was on (I had stumbled onto the Bozeman ep) and when it was on Thursday nights, I often had rehearsal or other commitments.

But once I finally started watching on purpose, I made a point of taping it if I had to be gone, and then I went and bought all the DVDs.

• Like 1

Ok, I have to chirp in here....I watched on CBS from day 1.  I still remember the promos during the upfronts that coming season and knew I'd like it (I'm a sitcom fan in general).  Granted I didn't really fall in love till season 4 for obvious (aka my avatar) reasons, but I did always watch it.  And I still laugh at old episodes (season 1 there are only a few I enjoy but season 2-on I generally like them all).

I didn't really appreciate the older episodes until they were brought to syndication (and aired on my local affiliates here before TBS)

Watching early on I really never thought of the Sheldon character in any romantic situation gay/straight/bi/etc....  I really didn't see him with any ties to another person romantically until the Ramona episode (and it was further established to me with the Plimpton situation)... and the writers I think did these episodes on purpose to start dropping hints that this guy could eventually be with somebody...

So my ramblings simply mean that I don't think most people watching thought "oh he must be x and so on and so on"....

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 2

Ok, I have to chirp in here....I watched on CBS from day 1.  I still remember the promos during the upfronts that coming season and knew I'd like it (I'm a sitcom fan in general).  Granted I didn't really fall in love till season 4 for obvious (aka my avatar) reasons, but I did always watch it.  And I still laugh at old episodes (season 1 there are only a few I enjoy but season 2-on I generally like them all).

I didn't really appreciate the older episodes until they were brought to syndication (and aired on my local affiliates here before TBS)

Watching early on I really never thought of the Sheldon character in any romantic situation gay/straight/bi/etc....  I really didn't see him with any ties to another person romantically until the Ramona episode (and it was further established to me with the Plimpton situation)... and the writers I think did these episodes on purpose to start dropping hints that this guy could eventually be with somebody...

So my ramblings simply mean that I don't think most people watching thought "oh he must be x and so on and so on"....

I still find it interesting that Jim was already fairly sure that they'd have Sheldon have a girlfriend or something along those lines as far back as the end of S2, in that old Ausiello interview because he felt it would be too interesting an idea for the writers to pass up.

That interview is fantastic...

• Like 4

Script

It's been ages since I last commented in here.

Just wanted to pop in and say the last word looks like "Communication." That is all.

*slinks back to lurking status*

It's been ages since I last commented in here.

Just wanted to pop in and say the last word looks like "Communication." That is all.

*slinks back to lurking status*

I don't know. I don't see a dot for the i.

While Chrismo came across a bit tactless. He has got a point. I Think he was trying to say depending on when you tuned into the show. You could perceive the Amy and Sheldon characters differently. I got hooked on the show because of Leonard and Penny's relationship. But I also got hooked, because the dynamic of a hot girl and Four eggheads reminded me so much of Seinfield. I always love the episode in Season 3 when L and S get burgled. And Sheldon decides to move. Sheldon telling them they are good friends, and one aquantince haha. Almost like a wolf pack. Now I miss the original wolf pack some times. But reminds me of The Hangover 2 lol. Alan diddn't like Stu's brother in law coming part of the wolf pack. But eventually he become one of them. Same case with Amy and Bernadette. I watched the pilot. But diddn't really watch the show reguarly (Was busy in 2008 when it first aired studying and living away from home e.t.c.). Two episodes grabbed me Barbarian Sublimation and The Pants Alternative. One scene where Penny is playing WOWC in the end. And she is about to go on a date with virtual Howard. Then she is like "I need help" lol. And in Pants, Lenny setting up the computer for Sheldon going "Heres your uranus" lol. I think some people think if you got an amazing formula for a sitcom why change it? Because it needed to be changed, if it wanted to last as long as it has. Been said a lot of times now haha, but after so many years the characters just cannot have the same impact they once had, nor can the show. Said it in my previous post. But I don't like show that don't evolve, stubbornly hold onto old characterisations, one liners, gags, references e.t.c. So I love with Big Bang and I did with Friends too, how it has evolved into an addictive ensemble piece. It's funny if S8 was just like S3, same people would be going "it has become stale". So what's the difference here. I think if were basing S8 being average based on the same old storylines you would be right. So I agree bringing in a new character, and some new storylines could really freshen things up. And whether or not the writers or tptb have decided Lenny don't have the life they once had. Which is perfectly possible, seeing they have changed in so many areas since the pilot. Been 8 seasons of Lenny. I mean in S6 they really accelerated their development. So when they were engaged off. Their was not much they could do. But still that is all speculation. 

Edited by 3ku11

I think that the first episode I watched was The Jerusalem Duality.

I'm not sure about that, it's been a while, but that is as far back as my memory goes.

I agree that the first seasons were better (they did have their flaws though) but I still really like the show. Best season in my opinion are seasons 1, 5 and 6. The worst one, I feel, was season 2.

What got me hooked (at first) were Sheldon and Howard.

Edited by Mislav