S8 Discussion Thread

Tensor got it right.  Even private industry scientists often follow that methodology unless what they are working on would be considered proprietary and giving their company an edge.   I was never allowed to do that because of the competitive edge angle, but it is the process when I was in academia that we would use.

• Like 1

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taping Report    “The Prom Equivalency”   Hi!!   This is my first taping report EVER so please be considerate and I will try my best. This was also my first taping, now that I live in LA, I was

I want you guys to know how hard these ladies are working on this report! "All right, who's got scene 13?" "Oh, that's me!"

Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone has reported this yet, but there's dialogue from the prom episode that I'm not sure was in the taping report. In the scene where Amy tells Sheldon she is going up to

Posted Images

In fact the sharing of physics information between institutions is what motivated the invention of the web in the first place.

See http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/book4/ch02.html

1989: Tim Berners-Lee invents the Web with HTML as its publishing language
The World Wide Web began life in the place where you would least expect it: at CERN, the European Laboratory for Particle Physics in Geneva, Switzerland. CERN is a meeting place for physicists from all over the world, where highly abstract and conceptual thinkers engage in the contemplation of complex atomic phenomena that occur on a minuscule scale in time and space. This is a surprising place indeed for the beginnings of a technology which would, eventually, deliver everything from tourist information, online shopping and advertisements, financial data, weather forecasts and much more to your personal computer.

Tim Berners-Lee is the inventor of the Web. In 1989, Tim was working in a computing services section of CERN when he came up with the concept; at the time he had no idea that it would be implemented on such an enormous scale. Particle physics research often involves collaboration among institutes from all over the world. Tim had the idea of enabling researchers from remote sites in the world to organize and pool together information. But far from simply making available a large number of research documents as files that could be downloaded to individual computers, he suggested that you could actually link the text in the files themselves.

In other words, there could be cross-references from one research paper to another. This would mean that while reading one research paper, you could quickly display part of another paper that holds directly relevant text or diagrams. Documentation of a scientific and mathematical nature would thus be represented as a `web' of information held in electronic form on computers across the world. This, Tim thought, could be done by using some form of hypertext, some way of linking documents together by using buttons on the screen, which you simply clicked on to jump from one paper to another. Before coming to CERN, Tim had already worked on document production and text processing, and had developed his first hypertext system, `Enquire', in 1980 for his own personal use.
Tim's prototype Web browser on the NeXT computer came out in 1990.

• Like 1

Thank you, Michy, Tensor and stardust!

Okay, so ArXiv makes sense (it's the equivalent of having a pretty polished working paper or mimeo on your research institution's website). I buy that the guys could have a polished version of their paper in record time (and that it would then get picked up by a blogger, as Michy says).

I guess that still leaves the issue of some semi-formal peer review before ArXiv. In economics (in which top journals can have Kafkaesque turnaround times) it's very possible for work to live as a working paper for years before it finally gets published- by which time anyone with any interest in the subject has likely seen it (many times) already, and I assumed that that was standard. Okay, I know mathematicians can be insanely paranoid, and Sheldon is certainly arrogant enough to say 'Scientific community? What scientific community?' but Leonard doesn't strike me that way. 

But that is a nitpick. I mean, that is even more of a nitpick. It's all fine! Handwave, handwave.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 1

I guess that still leaves the issue of some semi-formal peer review before ArXiv.

ArXiv IS pretty much the semi-formal peer review. Everyone can look at it and take shots at it. Many of the papers go through several revision. Of course, once submitted for publication, it goes through the formal process.

One interesting thing, in The Higgs Boson Observation, just after Penny drags Leonard off. The camera focuses on Sheldon, and in the background, on the white board in the kitchen, is the ArXiv reference number of the paper announcing the discovery of the Higgs Boson.

• Like 3

The exact phrase was "the only way we'll know is if we just post it to the preprint server".

I'm pretty sure that's what arxiv is. Scientists and mathematicians can post stuff there and get feedback from anyone (including trolls)before they get published in a peer-reviewed journal.

• Like 3

The exact phrase was "the only way we'll know is if we just post it to the preprint server".

I'm pretty sure that's what arxiv is. Scientists and mathematicians can post stuff there and get feedback from anyone (including trolls)before they get published in a peer-reviewed journal.

YES that was it, thank god for you, girl. I was like "It was pre something server? Post something server?" :laugh: Should have written it down.

• Like 1

Ok, my take on the TR. Like I have said a lot on the lenny thread, S8 is all about Shamy progress and Sheldon & Penny and it's going to continue that way till end of the season with little bits of lenny here & there and maybe a big Lenny plot for the last two episodes. I like this episode, looking forward to the airing and I laughed out loud reading the TR, really funny like when Leonard got excited about telling penny about his day and the jokes about the coffee table in both apartments lol. I like how Sheldon for once acknowledges Leonard's work & the joke about the jerk off. Penny & Bernie watching embarrassing footage of themselves sounds like a laugh. But I can't help but think this is a Shamy, Sheldon and Amy episode in disguise. It started with Leonard paper which got hijacked by Sheldon and became the plot and Amy fanfic also became a plot & both carried on till the end. And the tag scene which could have been a special bed scene for Lenny had them reading a fanfic about Shamy what is it with the writers inserting in the little Lenny's we are getting this season. Don't get me wrong, not complaining, about the lack of alone time for Lenny, because I am used to it now and can't see any changes soon, like I said It going to be a funny episode & can't wait to watch it, just don't agree with the posters who think it a shelnard and the girls episode. JMO.

Only Lenny had alone time in this episode but I do agree it was more of a Shelnard and girls episode. if Sheldon was fantasizing about Amy I would agree that it was a Shamy episode. But Amy was doing the fantasizing. IMO all that did was make Amy look horny and/or pathetic. In the last bed scene Sheldon was in the living room. This one he was talked about. I'm guessing the next one will have nothing to do with him. On a side note I know personally of no woman or man that really wants to see Sheldon with his shirt off except on this forum.

I have to admit I found the response on chat last night a tad excessive haha. I mean settle ladies ;). I mean I am thrilled for you, but is it really that big of deal. I mean if Kaley was in a bath, sure but I woulden't be like My Body is Ready LOL. Anyway prefer to focus on the plot and comedy aspect. I know alot of people would love too see Kaley topless, but seen that a few times. The whole FanFic thing is so Shamy though, very unique to them.  

i don't know Todd.

I can't tell if you're being serious or kidding? But Jim's boyfriend.

I have to admit I found the response on chat last night a tad excessive haha. I mean settle ladies ;). I mean I am thrilled for you, but is it really that big of deal. I mean if Kaley was in a bath, sure but I woulden't be like My Body is Ready LOL. Anyway prefer to focus on the plot and comedy aspect. I know alot of people would love too see Kaley topless, but seen that a few times. The whole FanFic thing is so Shamy though, very unique to them.  

For me, the excitement was way less about him being naked in and of itself, and way more that Amy was there with him bathing him. If we had a scene of Sheldon taking a bath on his own, I wouldn't have screamed. But it was more the fact that there was some hand washing going on that got me excited. ;) 

• Like 7

For me, the excitement was way less about him being naked in and of itself, and way more that Amy was there with him bathing him. If we had a scene of Sheldon taking a bath on his own, I wouldn't have screamed. But it was more the fact that there was some hand washing going on that got me excited. ;)

Wait a minute, are you saying that in the tag scene they actually show Amy bathing Sheldon????

And that explains the difference between Lenny and Shamy shippers in Season 8. One yearning for the return of what once was or should still be; the other dreaming of what is yet to come

• Like 8

On a side note I know personally of no woman or man that really wants to see Sheldon with his shirt off except on this forum.

That's okay if you don't know anyone who wants to see it, but I do.  I told my roomie (who just doesn't get the whole fandom thing) and her response was "Yum".  I also know a lot of other women, and some gay men, who like the show and but aren't big fans, who think Jim Parsons is pretty hot.

That said, while I will enjoy the view, it's not my favorite part of the TR.  Episode itself just seems hilarious.

• Like 1

i knew who Todd is. I' m going to guess 3K comment about chat was right. Apparently some people needed a cold water shower last night.

Wait a minute, are you saying that in the tag scene they actually show Amy bathing Sheldon????

Yup.  He's in the bath and she's...attending...to him.

i knew who Todd is. I' m going to guess 3K comment about chat was right. Apparently some people needed a cold water shower last night.

I think it's mostly about the audacity of it (and seeing so much of Jim in the flesh, so to speak...), but yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing him.  Doesn't mean I'm having an orgasm or anything, though.

Only Lenny had alone time in this episode but I do agree it was more of a Shelnard and girls episode. if Sheldon was fantasizing about Amy I would agree that it was a Shamy episode. But Amy was doing the fantasizing. IMO all that did was make Amy look horny and/or pathetic. In the last bed scene Sheldon was in the living room. This one he was talked about. I'm guessing the next one will have nothing to do with him. On a side note I know personally of no woman or man that really wants to see Sheldon with his shirt off except on this forum.

actually, I normally do not find "sheldon" attractive at all unless he's in a suit. And whenever we have gotten to see some skin I always thought that with the lighting and his body language in the moment, that he wasn't attractive at all.

But this was definitely an inside-amy's-head scene. The lamplight gave his skin a romance-cover tinge and you could actually see "jim's" muscles, and I could swear they oiled him up in addition to having him sit in the water.

• Like 4

Most people I hear, or I hear from most women find Johnny the most attractive guy. Men clearly Kaley. Not that this matters. I think Shamy fans were thrilled at bath sequence. Chrimso does have a point it did happen in Amy's mind. But hey writers could be just preparing the viewers, testing the waters. Garnering their reaction. 

actually, I normally do not find "sheldon" attractive at all unless he's in a suit. And whenever we have gotten to see some skin I always thought that with the lighting and his body language in the moment, that he wasn't attractive at all.

But this was definitely an inside-amy's-head scene. The lamplight gave his skin a romance-cover tinge and you could actually see "jim's" muscles, and I could swear they oiled him up in addition to having him sit in the water.

i know you meant well but since I'm a guy I'm starting to get some disturbed images in my head. I was just starting to recover from phantagrae's comment. Now if you were describing Kaley I would have been hanging on every word.LOL
  • Like 2