S8 Discussion Thread

Is this or based on different and corresponding eras? Landscape of tv is different in the 50's. As it was in the 80's, 90's and today. Big Bang's around 18-19 mill isin't it? That was Friends Season 7 I am pretty sure. So it is hard to define a hit. It may not be soley based on just ratings.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taping Report    “The Prom Equivalency”   Hi!!   This is my first taping report EVER so please be considerate and I will try my best. This was also my first taping, now that I live in LA, I was

I want you guys to know how hard these ladies are working on this report! "All right, who's got scene 13?" "Oh, that's me!"

Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone has reported this yet, but there's dialogue from the prom episode that I'm not sure was in the taping report. In the scene where Amy tells Sheldon she is going up to

Posted Images

That's an arbitrary cutoff.  There were five Sit-coms in 2003-2004 that average 15 million viewers.  In 1983-84 there were 8 sit-coms (the lowest finished in 30th place with 17 million viewers.  Viewers that had to watch when it was broadcast) that had more viewers that TBBT has averaged this year for Same Day (and that includes DVR viewers for seven hours after it's broadcast).    That means, TBBT would be out of the top 30.    I just think that the definition of hit will be different in the future.

I apologise Tensor; I don't know a lot about US ratings so it was a bit of an educated guess. How would you describe a hit?

I think that in terms of pure numbers, it's impossible to hit the kinds of ratings shows could make when there were only 3 networks to choose from.  The pie is getting sliced into smaller and smaller pieces nowadays.

However, that doesn't mean that some show might not come along that could draw as much attention as TBBT.  It could be an equivalent hit, like TBBT is compared to other shows in the past in terms of being farther ahead than other shows.  You always have to compensate for the different landscape (political, technological, etc.) when comparing past hits to modern hits.  Just like comparing something like income 20 years ago vs income today.  You have to compensate.

At any rate, I think that there's always the possibility of a show being as hot as Big Bang.  It will just be measured differently.

No need to apologize. In this day and age, total viewers isn't as important. Demo is what rules and a show with a demo of around 2.3 or so would be a hit. In the US, the average demo for a show this year is only averaging right around a1.7.

• Like 2

That's true I thought after Friends, that was it. Then Two and a half men, then Big Bang. But as you said the pie slice is getting smaller and smaller, and then is probably less of a chance, a big hit that has similar impact on pop culture Friends and Big Bang had. But it well happen, I just don't think in the next 5 years.  

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

I would be very happy for it to mean both couples. I just don't get why people are going out of their way to find some out of the box, obscure plot it could pertain to. Sometimes a spade is a spade.

nothing personal but it's been a Sheldon/Shamy ove kill this season. I'm hoping it's about some other couple.

Part of the challenge is that the show has acknowledged that the LOST BOYS are growing up. How funnny are 40 yo teenagers with childcare problems. Id hope for quality over volume and I think 11 seasons is a stretch, creatively.

ten is a stretch at this point. IMO this season has been the worst by far.

Season 8 compared to previous seasons has not been the best. And this has nothing to do with how Lenny are being portrayed, or any of the other characters. But just overall not as laugh out loud, I LOVED Season 7 particularly the Star Wars episode. But that is to be expected. It's a live action, so guess what these people age in real life haha. Even in TV Land life moves on. But I still think theirs been fresh, new storylines to keep it watchable. On another topic, promos of Big Bang have started to air here. It well air starting on Sundays in May, in a comedy lineup with Two Broke Girls ughh :p.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

4.09 The Boyfriend Complexity.  After Leonard comes back from Penny's after she kisses him, he mentions that it might have meant something.  Howard talks about hearing Leonard talk about obsessing about Penny, how he is liking his new stuff, but it's always fun to hear the hits.  Raj asks Leonard to do "our babies will be smart and beautiful, that one always makes me laugh".  Which indicates that the group has heard it many times before.

it's probably true the group has heard it many times. Obviously none of the times IMO it has been true . If Leonard ever says the line again I think it would be the last time and will be true.

nothing personal but it's been a Sheldon/Shamy ove kill this season. I'm hoping it's about some other couple.

ten is a stretch at this point. IMO this season has been the worst by far.

There's always someone who says that "this season", whichever season we're in, is the worst yet.  I just don't think that's ever been true.  I don't know if they're ratings may fall off over the next few seasons, but they're going to 10, I would think.  And even if their numbers were to drop, they're so high right now that no other show can really touch them.  They can afford to lose a million or so viewers and still be on top.

There might be a quibble here or there, but I don't think there's any way that this is the "worst season".  I don't know what it is you're looking for (apart from Lenny sex or something), but I think it's been very funny and very sweet and the characters are still slowly growing, without any radical shifts.

And I think that Mrs. W's death can add some dimension to Howard and Bernie without being maudlin or turning into a "very special episode" or whatever.  I think it could give the show a little dimension beyond just the humor, but still not really change anything radically.

I think it's still going strong as far as laughs and storytelling go.

• Like 5

it's probably true the group has heard it many times. Obviously none of the times IMO it has been true . If Leonard ever says the line again I think it would be the last time and will be true.

Oh I agree. Someone just asked where it had been used after it had been used in the pilot.  Earlier, it was claimed that it was only used as a setup for the one Sheldon joke in the pilot.  I was just pointing out that as they had someone other Leonard use it, and mentioned it has been used at other times, it could no longer be considered just a set up.  

There's always someone who says that "this season", whichever season we're in, is the worst yet.  I just don't think that's ever been true.  I don't know if they're ratings may fall off over the next few seasons, but they're going to 10, I would think.  And even if their numbers were to drop, they're so high right now that no other show can really touch them.  They can afford to lose a million or so viewers and still be on top.

There might be a quibble here or there, but I don't think there's any way that this is the "worst season".  I don't know what it is you're looking for (apart from Lenny sex or something), but I think it's been very funny and very sweet and the characters are still slowly growing, without any radical shifts.

And I think that Mrs. W's death can add some dimension to Howard and Bernie without being maudlin or turning into a "very special episode" or whatever.  I think it could give the show a little dimension beyond just the humor, but still not really change anything radically.

but's that the thing. The show hasn't been as funny than it had in the past which has nothing to do with Lenny. More Lenny isn't going to make the show funnier. The characters are getting older as someone pointed out earlier. the same things that would of been funny in season 2 are just not funny now. In regards to ratings The show could go on for three more seasons but do you really want to see Sheldon, Leonard and the gang get their AARP cards?
  • Like 2

4.09 The Boyfriend Complexity.  After Leonard comes back from Penny's after she kisses him, he mentions that it might have meant something.  Howard talks about hearing Leonard talk about obsessing about Penny, how he is liking his new stuff, but it's always fun to hear the hits.  Raj asks Leonard to do "our babies will be smart and beautiful, that one always makes me laugh".  Which indicates that the group has heard it many times before.  

Interesting. I am going to to have to go back and watch that again. 

It is interesting watching the pilot and then watching a Episode  7 Years later knowing what going happened. 

They should have Penny say that before or after she gives birth If she gives birth during the show which probably won't be until way near the end of series if they have her get pregnant. 

• Like 1

There's always someone who says that "this season", whichever season we're in, is the worst yet.  I just don't think that's ever been true.  I don't know if they're ratings may fall off over the next few seasons, but they're going to 10, I would think.

There's no doubt. They renewed them for three years and CBS is on the hook for those three seasons. Even if their ratings tank, CBS will have to do with them what FOX is doing with Glee this year. Burning the episodes off so as to cause the least amount of hurt to the Network. They could even decide not to broadcast them, but WB and the actors and crew will still get their pay.

And even if their numbers were to drop, they're so high right now that no other show can really touch them.  They can afford to lose a million or so viewers and still be on top.

Let me quantify that for you. They could lose 6 million and still be on top. For Sit-coms, they are currently averaging 16.50 million viewers per new episode. There is no other sit-com that is averaging more than 10.00 million. The highest is Modern Family with 9.96 million. Even if they lost 20% of their audience in season 9 and another 20% over season 10, they would still be over 10 million viewers. Same with the demo. They are at 4.5 this year. A 20% drop over each of the last two years would have them at a demo of 2.9, which is higher currently than all but Modern Family.

While I've complained about the portrayal of Lenny, I am still quite happy with the rest of the season. I'd be a lot more happy if they could put them in scene by themselves a couple of times a month.

I don't think any season can be classed as the "worst" season. I think using that term is very subjective. Depends on the person, the proportion of the people watching at one time. Someones personal preferences. Like me I don't watch for any specific couple. I got drawed to the show for the fresh and unique humour. But being a live action, this show does not have the luxary of say an animation like Simpsons or Family Guy (Which are clearly over the hill). To keep the same gags and characterizations. The actors are getting older, so they need to keep evolving the show. That means the humour is not as fresh and unique anymore. Every now and then, the show gives out a gem. Which is awesome for a show late in its run. Last Season was Scavenger, and I think this season was Prom. If were looking at it comparatively, worst season for me prob Season One, just some of the storylines were flawed. Best? For me Season 2 or 3.

• Like 1

They are sitting in a good spot and so far the cast and crew seem to get along. I think s8 has been very good and judging by the last season I think it will get better in the second half.

Chrismo why should people try to work out which was the worst season. That's glass half empty thinking.

• Like 3

Season 1 had a share audience of 8 mill. its now like 18-20 mill. So I don't think you can base a show being bad based on its ratings. A lot of shows that have poor ratings have excellent quality.

My least favorite is season 4... God I hated Priya! The only saving grace was Shamy's budding love

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated Priya.  My husband likes the way she stood up to Sheldon in Agreement Dissection.  The only way I liked her character was as Raj's sister.  The interactions between Priya and Raj (or about each other) were funny.

• Like 1

Season 1 had a share audience of 8 mill. its now like 18-20 mill. So I don't think you can base a show being bad based on its ratings. A lot of shows that have poor ratings have excellent quality.

I wasn't. I was just saying Worst season for the show ratings wise is season 1