S8 Discussion Thread

Thank you Dana.

Amazing episode. Shamy was in character and cute as always, and so was Lenny. Not to mention their interaction at the beginning. Sheldon's explanation as to why he wants to get a turtle was spot on.

Emily... I couldn't case less about her by this point. Completely unlikeable character with overdone "quirks". She just doesn't fit. But, luckily, the show features enough likeable characters so I can ignore one psycho.

All in all, this season is going strong!

• Like 1

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taping Report    “The Prom Equivalency”   Hi!!   This is my first taping report EVER so please be considerate and I will try my best. This was also my first taping, now that I live in LA, I was

I want you guys to know how hard these ladies are working on this report! "All right, who's got scene 13?" "Oh, that's me!"

Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone has reported this yet, but there's dialogue from the prom episode that I'm not sure was in the taping report. In the scene where Amy tells Sheldon she is going up to

Posted Images

I'll post this in the taping forum, too, but wonder if they are just starting earlier to get a jump on taping hiatus or something interesting is happening and they need more time.

Got this email from Audiences Unlimited regarding next week's taping on the 18th:

There has been a time change for this date.  The show will now be starting 30 minutes earlier - at 6:00pm.   If you are still planning to attend, please adjust your arrival time accordingly.  Ticket holders should arrive and check in no later than 90min. prior to show time

I enjoyed the episode very much and I think it had all the elements in it that I love about this show in general.

Will have to agree on the whole Emily situation,

I have no clue what's going on there and what they are planning but I agree with what's been said. If she wasn't here to stay at least for the remainder of the season, they would not have bothered to combine their shows to find a schedule for her to shoot.

I think she is adorable but something about her is very very creepy.

I'll post this in the taping forum, too, but wonder if they are just starting earlier to get a jump on taping hiatus or something interesting is happening and they need more time.

Got this email from Audiences Unlimited regarding next week's taping on the 18th:

There has been a time change for this date.  The show will now be starting 30 minutes earlier - at 6:00pm.   If you are still planning to attend, please adjust your arrival time accordingly.  Ticket holders should arrive and check in no later than 90min. prior to show time

Oh really? I didn't get anything. Hmmm...

Loved, loved loved the Leonard & Penny bits [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Am intrigued and looking forward to Raj & Emily's scenes!!!

([emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] again for Leonard & Penny!! )

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 5

Emily keeps getting creepier as she is in more episodes, strange.

It is nice to see Leonard and Penny being more fun together.

I just can't believe Sheldon wants to go to Mars, he just doesn't seem the pioneer type. Getting bit by a turtle, now that is Sheldon.

It really sounds like a funny episode, thanks guys for the TR.

• Like 2

I think that for now they're playing up Emily's weird side, but in a way it reminds me of how they played up Bernie's "dumb" side (not getting Howard's jokes, etc.) before they settled on the little firecracker they write now.

And Amy's robotic, inappropriate aspects--she's still somewhat inappropriate and blunt, but she's also been somewhat "normalized" as they settled into her character and gave her more to do.

I'm not sure how much of Emily's creepy hobbies they'll maintain once they're able to use her more fully, but I'm sure she's not going to turn out to be a serial killer.  Why would they do that?

But I think that in the meantime, they can play around with amping it up.  It's like I used to say about the X-Files conspiracy episodes.  You can imply a lot with a look or a loaded statement when you don't really have anything behind it.  So Emily can say something that sounds creepy, like "don't look in the closet", but that doesn't mean that the writers have in mind that there's a body in there.  It sound like it because of how they've set it up, and the kind of implications of some of her lines, but again, it could just be smoke and mirrors to play up her character.

"You've never been closer to the truth!"--Mr. X on TXF.  Sounds pithy, but ultimately didn't really mean anything.

• Like 1

I'm happy for the Emily character being weird. The show has moved towards a soft centre and this gives them a chance to play outside the box. Hey, the pilot started with the two leads masturbating for money. Now they are planning what pet to buy. Compare and contrast. I'd like more "Addams Family" content, to counteract what might be construed as the "Brady Bunch" inserts - like about pet care. I'm sure Cindy got a rabbit once, or something. Its funny, but its not the same.

I know the show has to try to be all things to all people, but they could use a little bit of mystery and tension. They have pumped the tension out to a large extent and replaced it with waiting. Something novel will at least be surprising. So I'm happy that they added a bit of "strange".

Also, I can manage the delayed gratification as the show meanders to the finish. Anyone read the "Wheel of Time" series? I waited I think 30 years for the finale. And I have an advantage that at least Leonard has remained largely consistent over the course of the show. What some have described as growth I sometimes see as the abandonment of an idea. But then the creatives have every right to play around with their characters. They own them. And we have choices and ffwd buttons.

So as long as Emily doesn't stage an episode of "Criminal Minds" as dinner entertainment for Raj, I'm good with her. And she takes up very little space.

Edits for spelling and extra words.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 4

Am I incorrect or has Bones completed its run? We may be seeing a lot more of Emily if that is so. A good thing I think: fresh bloo---oops, a fresh perspective for the other characters to bounce off of. I like the seemingly macabre aura they are giving her at first glance. Really looking forward to what they have in store there!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

Edited by hokie3457
  • Like 1

I'm happy for the Emily character being weird. The show has moved towards a soft centre and this gives them a chance to play outside the box. Hey, the pilot started with the two leads masturbating for money. Now they are planning what pet to buy. Compare and contrast. I'd like more "Addams Family" content, to counteract what might be construed as the "Brady Bunch" inserts - like about pet care. I'm sure Cindy got a rabbit once, or something. Its funny, but its not the same.

I know the show has to try to be all things to all people, but they could use a little bit of mystery and tension. They have pumped the tension out to a large extent and replaced it with waiting. Something novel will at least be surprising. So I'm happy that they added a bit of "strange".

Also, I can manage the delayed gratification as the show meanders to the finish. Anyone read the "Wheel of Time" series? I waited I think 30 years for the finale. And I have an advantage that at least Leonard has remained largely consistent over the course of the show. What some have described as growth I sometimes see as the abandonment of an idea. But then the creatives have every right to play around with their characters. They own them. And we have choices and ffwd buttons.

So as long as Emily doesn't stage an episode of "Criminal Minds" as dinner entertainment for Raj, I'm good with her. And she takes up very little space.

Edits for spelling and extra words.

I wouldn't say the show has gotten a soft center.

The thing about Sheldon and Leonard masturbating for money was A) from the pilot, from which many things were changed and B ) is not a rule for life for these guys.  I don't think it's ever really been mentioned again as something they would regularly do, and even in the pilot, they didn't actually go through with it.  I think there was one other episode where Sheldon said something about Leonard being able to sell blood or semen if he neeeded money, but otherwise it's not like it was a main character trait for either of them.

The thing about planning to buy a pet also doesn't play out because in the end they don't get it.  And it's not as if they were adding a pet monkey to the show like they did on Friends.

I think you're overplaying your hand.

I do agree, though, that with Emily we have something of a wild card that has yet to be revealed.  I think that she can freshen up Raj's character and even add some spunk to the group dynamic, once she's fully integrated (which could be starting in the last few episodes of this season, if she's truly finished filming Bones.)

When you talk about Leonard, what do you mean by "abandonment of an idea"?  What idea do you think they originally had for him?  To be a sad sack nice guy all his life, pining after a girl he'll never have?

Edited by phantagrae

Well it finally looks like Lenny fans are going to get what they want according the taping report from last night my question is are they going to keep the paintings and frame them and hang them up in the apartment to see how their friends react cant wait to find out

When you talk about Leonard, what do you mean by "abandonment of an idea"?  What idea do you think they originally had for him?  To be a sad sack nice guy all his life, pining after a girl he'll never have?

Not Leonard. I don't want to fight over my view of Sheldon's changes/growth/whatever. I have my opinions and they are fairly firmly fixed. I do think in a creative sense they took an idea, played with it, then abandoned/greatly reshaped/ to pursue broader appeal. I dont feel fervernt about it enough to rehash everything from s4 onwards,  so am keeping my arms by my side and hands in plain veiw. Just adding this to be clear. The sookiness of the Shamy deters me sometimes. IIt strikes me as them revisiting their delayed/deferred adolescence. But it appeals to many and I can choose to be selective in my attention. But you asked for more details. :)

• Like 4

Not Leonard. I don't want to fight over my view of Sheldon's changes/growth/whatever. I have my opinions and they are fairly firmly fixed. I do think in a creative sense they took an idea, played with it, then abandoned/greatly reshaped/ to pursue broader appeal. I dont feel fervernt about it enough to rehash everything from s4 onwards,  so am keeping my arms by my side and hands in plain veiw. Just adding this to be clear. The sookiness of the Shamy deters me sometimes. IIt strikes me as them revisiting their delayed/deferred adolescence. But it appeals to many and I can choose to be selective in my attention. But you asked for more details. :)

So you mean that because Sheldon didn't remain "Shel-bot" and disinterested in relationships that they abandoned their original vision of the character?

I think that they've pretty much kept him in character of that idea for the longest time, which is partly why the Shamy relationship has been so different from all others.

I don't think it's a matter of the writers revisiting their own delayed adolesences, if that's who you mean by "they", but rather that they do have a vision of Sheldon as having delayed or deferred his own sexual development until the right person came along who unexpectedly appealed to him in a way beyond pure intellect.

He was reluctant to admit that he felt anything more for her than a platonic intellectual bond and that's what took him so long to acknowledge it to himself, let alone to any others.  But he hasn't just thrown all that reluctance to the wind.

I think that they've toyed with the idea of Sheldon and some kind of female interaction from early on.  But that doesn't mean that if the right person comes along his lock can't be opened, so to speak.

He's still not the horndog-looking-for-sex that the other guys always were.  He's still dragging his heels on that front for his own reasons, which is still in line with who he has been from the beginning.

I wanna know which writer had the idea for Lenny's sex paintings... or maybe I don't depending on who it is. 

Years ago there was some kind of charity auction where they had celebrities do paintings, as I recall.  All I really remember is that David Duchovny had his (then)wife put paint on his butt and then press the canvas against his butt.

• Like 3

So you mean that because Sheldon didn't remain "Shel-bot" and disinterested in relationships that they abandoned their original vision of the character?

I think that they've pretty much kept him in character of that idea for the longest time, which is partly why the Shamy relationship has been so different from all others.

I don't think it's a matter of the writers revisiting their own delayed adolesences, if that's who you mean by "they", but rather that they do have a vision of Sheldon as having delayed or deferred his own sexual development until the right person came along who unexpectedly appealed to him in a way beyond pure intellect.

He was reluctant to admit that he felt anything more for her than a platonic intellectual bond and that's what took him so long to acknowledge it to himself, let alone to any others.  But he hasn't just thrown all that reluctance to the wind.

I think that they've toyed with the idea of Sheldon and some kind of female interaction from early on.  But that doesn't mean that if the right person comes along his lock can't be opened, so to speak.

He's still not the horndog-looking-for-sex that the other guys always were.  He's still dragging his heels on that front for his own reasons, which is still in line with who he has been from the beginning.

Yes, TPTB added a "magic" ingedient.and changes followed that let them re-boot and run for 10 seasons. And then we get to opinions. Like whether i'd ever start watching from s4 without having had s1-3.

/out on this one. :)

• Like 2

I enjoyed the episode very much and I think it had all the elements in it that I love about this show in general.

Will have to agree on the whole Emily situation,

I have no clue what's going on there and what they are planning but I agree with what's been said. If she wasn't here to stay at least for the remainder of the season, they would not have bothered to combine their shows to find a schedule for her to shoot.

I think she is adorable but something about her is very very creepy.

Oh, she is just teasing Raj. Some people have a very aggressive sense of humor that relies on shocking everyone around by acting like a creepy/strange/criminal/sociopathic character.

Emily's comments are actually much less creepy than some I heard just this night in my office.

Edited by LMD3014

Oh, she is just teasing Raj. Some people have a very aggressive sense of humor that relies on shocking everyone around by acting like a creepy/strange/criminal/sociopathic character.

Emily's comments are actually much less creepy than some I heard just this night in my office.

She could have his birthday gift in there, sexy sleep ware or even S&M stuff. Really the way the writers left it they could go anywhere with it, but it is still creepy.

• Like 2

When I read the TR, I burst out laughing when Leonard gets a pie to the face.  It goes to show how sophisticated and highbrow my sense of humor is.

• Like 2

Thank you Dana.

I couldn't case less about her by this point. Completely unlikeable character with overdone "quirks". She just doesn't fit. But, luckily, the show features enough likeable characters so I can ignore one psycho.

Take the she out and you could be talking about Sheldon.
  • Like 1

Aaaahhhh I forgot something.

Leonard and Penny discuss what they wanna do with the canvas. Penny doesn't wanna hang it since it shows their booties and then wants to give the canvas to Sheldon and she also suggests they pretend it's by William Shatner ...

Leonard: I love you so much!!!!

And I think he kisses her fervently for that remark lol ^^

xD

That one was really funny, we all laughed out loud! :)

That was really gross...

• Like 1